Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Options

Comments

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,600
    Options

Nancy, I'm glad your PT is going well, but I hear you about the appointments eating up a lot of your time.

I got results from the PET scan in my patient portal. There was improvement in the bones, and the esophageal issue appears to be resolved. I will ask my MO about the calvarial and skull base mets.

We're guardedly optimistic and ever so thankful for the prayers of friends.

Love to all,

Carol

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,735
    Options

Yep, Teka, we are back to winter as well. I had a pic I wanted to post for you but it was not playing nice with my computer. It was basically a pic of a ground hog with snow all around and he says "I lied".

Carol. WOW. That sure sounds like good news to me!!!! I'm still praying!!

Kerry, how are you doing?

Chris, I hope youe dinner with your family and your memorial honoring your brother provides a closure and beginning of healing in grief.

Have a good weekend dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• wheatfields
    wheatfields Member Posts: 162
    Options

Kerry, I love those flower pots with the bible verses! Thank you for sharing and remember you are in our prayers!

Nancy, praying that your PT continues to help you and that there isn't a break between sessions.

Carol, praise the Lord for good MRI results and Chris we are praying for your trip that He will surround you with protection and good health.

Last Saturday I went to the services for my friend's sister in law. It was a small town church in Nebraska. And there wasn't a lot of parking but I remembered the story about not parking in someone's driveway, so I got out and double checked that I wasn't blocking anything. It was such a cold windy day which I always think makes it harder. We did get another couple inches of snow but this sister in law, that passed away, had always said, when you see the first robin in the spring there will be 3 more snows before real spring.

Love and prayers, Wheatfields

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Wheatfields, I am glad you were able to go with your friend to the funeral of her sister in law. Yes, when it is very cold and adverse conditions it makes things harder than they already are. I am glad you are being a great friend to your nurse friend in her time of need. I know she has helped you out as well.

I have had a major seback today unfortunately. I pushed myself too much yesterday in my home exercises. I should have known better but was feeling a bit of pressure from my therapist even though he has been very understanding of my fibromyalgia but still pushing for me to try more reps while I am there. Today I got up and was fine. I went downstairs to watch my church online on Youtube. I got up and made a smootie afterwards and I was in my recliner with my leg propped up for a couple of hours maybe. I fell asleep and when I tried to get up I had tremendous pain and I could not walk. Between my walker and my cane I managed to fix some meals and I ended up taking the pain meds this evening I was initially prescribed post surgery. My knee buckled a couple of times and I just about fell but didn't thankfully. My sister thought I should call my surgeon but I am going to wait until Monday and if I am not much better I will reach out to him. I am praying there is nothing wrong with the surgery itself and hopefully this is just muscle strain that will eventually go away.

I have two PT sessions and I have my annual mammogram on Wed and I really don't want to cancel that but I would not be able to manage in my present condition. I would covet your prayers for a rapid recovery in this set back.

Chris, I know you had your your big dinner on Saturday with your family. I pray that you are doing well and that it has been healing to see your family during your loss. Praying for safe travels back home.

Sleep well dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 650
    Options

Nancy, I hope your knee is feeling much better today and that the surgeon reassures you that all is progressing according to schedule. You are a compliant patient and faithfully keep up on your home exercises. Here's hoping that this episode is just a small bump in the road.

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Teka and Hershey, thank you for your posts. Teka, I love the cute banner.

I didn't get to bed last night until 3 am. I had taken two doses (not at the same time) of my prescription pain meds and was in la la land. I got up at 7:30 and sent a message to my surgeon in MyChart. I also sent a message to my PT therapist. My surgeon is so good about responding quickly. I told him I was going back to bed and would check later to see if he had responded. My phone alerted me to a message so I got up and read my surgeon's reply. I think in the long scheme of things this will be just a blip on the radar but while I am in that blip I have been pretty miserable. He gave me some suggestions in elevating my leg and said my couch may be better than my recliner when I am elevating my leg. He didn't say he needed to see me so I imagine this type of thing happens a lot. Because I am three weeks out and had been doing very well he probably figured it was just something that would go away on its own. I think it was a combination of things that came together to create a perfect storm. Today I took some pain meds again and was feeling a bit nauseated and dizzy which is my usual reaction to the strong pain meds. I have pretty much slept off and on all day and just now am checking my emails and saw your posts. I ordered groceries for delivery and asked them to knock as my doorbell is needing to be replaced. Either they didn't knock or I totally slept through it but when I woke up and checked my phone my groceries had been sitting on my porch for an hour. UGH It was 54 degrees outside and I had a lot of items that needed to be refrigerated. Hopefully they will be okay.

I am using my cane and I am doing better than yesterday. I have not iced any today after icing a lot yesterday. I am just really out of it on this pain med and don't plan on taking anymore today unless absolutely necessary. My knee has not buckled today so I am so gratefull for that. It is much better than yesterday but I still have pain.

My therapist did not respond to my message to him but he doesn't work on Mondays and I know he has his hands full with his wife who had a stroke last year. If I can get enough sleep and no more pain meds then I will go ahead and go to my session tomorrow and hope that he will know what to do with me.

Thank you for your prayers. I really do appreciate them.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,148
    Options

Hello sweet ladies. I have returned from my trip. But first, I wanted to tell Carol I am so happy to read her esophageal issues are resolved. Praise the Lord! I have been praying special for that great news.

Second, Nancy, even though you are having pain I am glad things are on the mend. It sounds like you are coming and going and getting around. Now to do it with less pain!

My trip went well and the little memorial time for my brother was very special. There were ten of us who shared the house and there was lots of laughter and hugs. Four of us are breast cancer patients! Of course there was me, and my cousin. Also with breast cancer is the daughter of the current wife of my brother who passed who came at special invitation of my other brother, and fourth the second wife of the brother who passed whom we all still love and maintain a close relationship. (He had three wives total.) The English in that sentence is horrible, but you get the essence of the meaning— Four of us ladies who were there all have a history of breast cancer so there was lots of sharing and tears. The only negative is I got another UTI starting the last day which made a rough two-day road trip home. I was able to call this afternoon as soon as I got home and had an immediate virtual appointment with meds now on the way as soon as my DD picks them up. We were able to miss the snowstorms for our drive home so we stayed safe. It was a little rough having to deal with my oxygen machines but I managed. Nobody fell over the tubes! Yay! Thank you for your prayers. Hopefully I can start feeling better before my shots on Friday.

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Chris, I am so glad you made it to your family's memorial for your brother. I am glad you made it back home. I am so sorry to hear about getting a UTI before going back home. Oh my. That had to be awful. I hope you are on your antibiotics now and are resting comfortably.

I would appreciate your prayers. I saw my PT therapist yesterday after having my setback. He assured me that this is normal. We did a very few exercises and did some hands on therapy. When I got up today I was worse. Almost every time I sat down and had to get up it was excrutiating. I tried to do some easy exercises that I thought might help and after only a few again extreme pain. I have a mammogram in 1 1/2 hours and I have no idea how I am going to manuever this. I don't think I will want to sit down because getting up will so painful. I am fearful that something has gone wrong. Lord I need you now!!

Love,

Nancy

• sunshine99
    Options

Nancy, I’m praying that you will get some answers regarding your knee pain. It doesn’t sound right that it’s hurting so much. I’d be concerned, too

• hersheykiss
    Options

Nancy, my prayer is that you get some answers soon about your knee pain. Discomfort from surgery or overexertion is one thing, but extreme pain three weeks out doesn't seem right to me. You've been so good about your recovery and rehab. I hope that your surgeon or physical therapist can provide some solutions and encouragement.

• intolight
    Options

Nancy, sending prayers for your knee pain and that you were able to handle your mammogram.

• wheatfields
    wheatfields Member Posts: 162
    Options

Nancy, praying for you and answers and solutions for the horrible pain in your knee. And praying you can go to the mammogram and back.

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Thank you all for your concern and prayers. I just woke up with my computer still on my lap and Cammie trying to get on my lap but couldn't. It was a miracle that I made it through my mammogram. I usually have to sit for quite a while and I really was hesitant to even sit down. The tech came to get me right away. I gave her fair warning of my situation and she was so kind and understanding. At every step of the way I did not have to sit for a very short time. I had to wait to get back into the changing room as someone was in there. I overheard this lady sitting there that she had to wait to see if she needed more tests. I told her I had sat there in her situation a couple of times and I told her I know how nerve wracking it is. I wished her the best. When I left she was there just closing her eyes so I hope her situation turns out well.

I dropped by to get a carryout salad and I ate and then sat down with my computer and fell asleep.

My therapist told me I could wear my knee brace to the mammogram which I did. My PA told me I could wear my knee brace going forward with anything that I knew would cause me discomfort. The surgery I had will take 6 months to heal. I did reach out to my surgeon on Monday and he didn't seem too alarmed. My therapist also told me that recovery is like a jagged line going up. I do see my therapist on Friday and will see how things go.

I have not done my few exercises that I am supposed to today with only a very few reps. I am not sure why I am so tired but I am going to take another nap before doing them. I know the few I tried today did not go well.

I would appreciate your continued prayers.

Love

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Hi dear sisters,

I wanted to share that after doing all of my exercises but only a few reps on each and figuring out that there is a thing I can do with my leg before sitting and standing which has helped alot I am doing much better. I thank the Lord for that because no one told me to do this. So I am going to skip this weeks garbage to the curb and take it easy tonight. Thank you all so much for your prayers and concern.

Chris, how are YOU feeling now. Are your meds for your UTI helping? I sure hope so.

Have a good night everyone.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Teka, I guess I could say slow and easy to you too. Sorry you over did it. I hope you don't have to sleep in your recliner again. I never could get a very good night's rest in mine because I am not used to sleeping on my back. I just finished 16 exercises. Fourteen are on video but he specifically went over these other two and wanted me to do some of those. I "think" he said pick a few and do them but I couldn't be sure. Our sessions have been 1 1/2 hrs and he talks muslces and tries to explain. It is like trying to understand a foreign language at times. Well, my big toe had to get in the act. I was having trouble with it quite some time ago and mentioned it to the therapist. I think it is tendonitis so something else I will probably get to ice my toe!!!! I keep telling myself this is NOT forever and progress is not a straight line up. Kinda like life in general!

Enjoy your Easter weekend.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Many of us feel like we have been living in Friday for a long time. Easter Sunday is coming soon. Our Sunday is coming soon. We have hope that He will never leave or forsake us.

Love,
    Nancy

• hersheykiss
    Options

So, what's so good about Good Friday?

“It’s a very weird day to call ‘good’ when you have your savior and Messiah die,” said Rev. Dr. Brent Strawn, a professor of Old Testament at Duke Divinity School and an ordained minister in the United Methodist Church. “Why would you call that a good day?”

The reason why Good Friday is called "good" is not entirely clear. One common explanation is that the word "good" originally meant "holy" in Old English, so "Good Friday" could be synonymous with "Holy Friday" or "God's Friday."

Strawn says he doesn't think the name is trivializing.

“For those people who have Christian faith, it is a good thing that Christ died for us,” Strawn said. “It gave us peace with God and made us at one with God.”

Strawn says another reason for the name Good Friday might stem from a deeper understanding of goodness and an awareness that Easter and the salvation of humanity are near.

“For me, it really suggests that, in Christianity’s most robust and thoughtful forms, this is not a rejection of the sadness and tragedy of death, but rather a real thick understanding of the goodness that came out of a very tragic thing,” Strawn said.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/national-international/what-is-good-friday-heres-what-to-know-about-the-holy-holiday/5271849/#:~:text=One%20common%20explanation%20is%20that,for%20us%2C%E2%80%9D%20Strawn%20said.

• intolight
    Options

Nancy, I am not feeling too well but the UTI is about passed. I also ended up with horrible cold sores and today I had my monthly faslodex shots so I am a bit miserable. But…

It's Friday and Sunday is coming!

• gb2115
    gb2115 Member Posts: 553
    Options

Happy Easter!!!!

• sunshine99
    Options

intolight, I hope you start feeling better soon. Talk about a triple-whammy with the UTI, mouth sores, and Faslodex shots.

Wishing everyone a blessed Easter!

Carol

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Happy Easter to all of our dear sisters.

Chris, I am praying that you feel much better today. I hope you can enjoy this day inspite of all the things you are dealing with. I am praying for total relief!!!!!

Hershey, thank you for that Good Friday post. It is indeed a reason to call it Good Friday!

GB, good to hear from you.

Carol, how are you doing?

Teka, how are all things in the North Country?

Wheatfields, I hope you are doing well. I know you have been a great support to your nurse friend and to your family.

Kerry, how are your treatments going? I know it has been a very difficult time. Let us know how you are doing.

I am now officially a 10 year bc survivor. Just getting through my mammogram was a challenge but I am so grateful. It has been a tough week with my knee but I am praying for acceptance in this setback.

The next time you eat an M & M or see them at the grocey store you may think differently about it.

Love,

Nancy

• sunshine99
    Options

Nancy, I’m doing pretty well. A friend made a QR code for my blog. Never knew that was even possible.

• intolight
    Options

Good morning everyone. Hope you all had a blessed Easter Sunday.

Nancy, still praying for your knee. I know how badly you want to go out and photograph Spring!

My small Easter dinner was great. My DH used the smoker on a turkey breast and it came out amazing. My DSIL came over early to help prep dinner as I passed out this morning after taking a shower. She is awesome. Just her, her DH and the four of us (DH, DD, DGD and me) but it was good. It is nice as they all understand my challenges and don't mind a slightly messy house too. We have plenty of leftovers for the next couple of nights too. Our trees are going in as I type trying to beat the predicted snow this afternoon. The joke is the reason Easter eggs are colored in Colorado is so the kids can find them in the snow!

Take care. Love, Chris

• teka
    teka Member Posts: 11
    Options
  • bandwoman1234
    Options

Carol, I am glad you are doing pretty well. I hope you had a good Easter. Wow, you have a very skilled tech for a friend. I have no idea how the QR codes are created but obviously your friend does. I tried it out and it works like magic. I prefer to read your blog on my computer but for those who use there phone it is a great convenience.

Chris, I am glad you had a nice yummy Easter dinner with your family but I am really sorry to hear that you passed after your shower. Did you hurt yourself? I know you are grateful to your SIL for helping out. I imagine your idea of a messy house would be my idea of a pristine house!! My house is starting to look like a medical equipment store. I just bought a toilet riser and it is still sitting in the box as it came on Easter. I guess the Easter bunny must have thought I didn't need any candy. The good news is I may not even need it. The bad news is it is non returnable.

I woke up one day after falling asleep after watching my church service online to this wonderful Christian piano music. It was meant to be as I love listening to calming music when I am not watching TV. This pianist is called DappyTKeys. He is a very talented musician and I am watching him live on YouTube right now. I think it will become my music for my Bible and prayer time. He has hours of music on YouTube. Check it out.

I am going to go to the grocery store today so that is progress. My knee is doing better but my toe next to my big toe is not. My exercises for my knee are aggravating my toe. Go figure! So walking is a challenge because of my toe and it is hard to know how my knee does with a normal walk because I can't walk normally yet. I will look back on this and laugh one day and hopefully soon. I do have a Morton's toe which is the toe next to the big toe is longer than the big toe. It can cause balance problems and I just read it can cause pain. Umm? I didn't know that.

I hope you all have a good week. Spring is trying to get here but having some setbacks. We had spring in the winter and now it feels like winter in spring.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Teka, we must have been posting at the same time. I love those beautiful flowers with the woods in the background. I love April more than March so I am thrilled that warmer weather will be here soon. Did you have a nice Easter? Take care.

Love,

Nancy

• teka
    teka Member Posts: 11
    Options

My 1st crocus blooms before covered by spring snowstorm!

• bandwoman1234
    Options

They survived!!!!!! A true sign of spring. Hope you and your family are doing well.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Hi dear sisters,

I had a very busy and tough week so did not post much. I hope you are managing all of your challenges with the Lord's help. I am not sure if your area is going to see the solar eclipse tomorrow but if you do see it please get your eclipse glasses first. Have a good week.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    Options

Nancy, praying next week will not be so tough. I too have had some struggles this past week with excruciating lower back pain. I resisted going to the ER and am thankful I did as it is slowly receding. Enjoying the sunshine now.