Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Latissimus Dorsi Breast Reconstruction

Comments

• DLL66
    DLL66 Member Posts: 448

I went back to work after 2 weeks with drains still in. I was an assistant store manager at the time, so on my feet the whole day. The Danskin hoodies with pockets on the inside came in handy.

• dayzoo
    dayzoo Member Posts: 15

KSteve...

I had my surgery on a Wednesday, came home Thursday, and was back to work a bit on Saturday, but full time Monday, with the drains (yuck!) Drains came out after a week... 

I have my own business, so there isn't a whole lot of sick time available - I took next to nothing off both times I went through chemo too.

It's just a little difficult to do basic things - stapling, pulling open the file cabinet, etc, are all harder to do without that dorsi muscle in your back...lol...

Good luck!

• hmmelissa
    hmmelissa Member Posts: 3

I have decided (I think) to undergo BMX with lat flaps, to be followed by implants.  I work from home as well, and was wondering when I would feel good enough to sit up and work from my laptop - any ideas?   Also - I am a stomach/side sleeper and do not sleep well on my back.  Any suggestions for comfortable sleep would be recommended.   I am pouring through all of these posts, though a bit overwhelmed, and my surgery is coming up quickly (Feb-3!), so any directions to posts specific to packing lists/recovery tips, etc, would also be greatly appreciated.   Thank you so much!!

• HotPinkMess
    HotPinkMess Member Posts: 18

Hi hmmelissa!  I had it in September with expanders.   I too, can't sleep on my back so I continued to sleep on my side even though it was a little uncomfortable.  I was on my computer within a day or two of surgery.   The drains are a HUGE hassle, you may have six of them initially.  You might be able to do some work from home after a few days or a week, but I DEFINITELY milked it and took 6 weeks off work.  My job is so all or nothing, there's no such thing as light duty so I learned the hard way after 6 surgeries to take as much time as possible.  If I had to do 2013 over, I would take the entire year off, all those 4, 6 and 8 week medical leaves were stressful and awkward at work.   Hope this helps!

• Hushpuppy
    Hushpuppy Member Posts: 4

I'm new to the site and very frustrated. Last January I had a
    bilateral mastectomy due to BC in my right breast and abnormalities in my left breast. At the
    time of the surgery I also had TEs implanted. I had chemo followed by radiation. In December my Dr
    started filling my TEs weekly. I have a 510 fill in my right and a 450
    fill in my left, but last week I noticed that
    the one on the right was flat and the one on the left was still firm. I
    went to the Dr today only to find out he had accidentally punctured a
    hole in my right TE. He looks at me and says what do you want to do???
    WTF!!!Devil
    (excuse my language). Those things were hell
    to get used to now I have to replace one bc of the negligence of my DR Sad. So he gives me options:

1.) Replace the right TE and start the fills from scratch

2.)
    Take out both TEs and put in permanent implants...Duh, how is that
    suppose to happen when the skin on both breast
    are not stretched equally and I have no idea what size I am?

3.) Take out TEs and combine bilateral latissimus dorsi flap w/implants

and he needs me to make a decision by the end of the weekSinging. Have no clue what to do...so overwhelmed right now.

I am so grateful for this forum. I am a veteran and I go to the VA for all my treatment and every support group at the VA is older guys no support for the ladies the Drs are all men so I'm kinda swimming alone. I was thinking about the bilateral latissimus dorsi flap w/implants, but don't know what to expect and have no one to talk to about it.

• HotPinkMess

Mentor Round Memory Gel High Profile 500 CC's.   Haven't bra shopped yet but probably about a big C.  The high profiles are supposed to help with Projection... I still wish they stuck out in front a little more but there's only so much they can do when you start from zero,  

• HotPinkMess

I'm not a Dr.  but I would think you could get 450 implants in both sides.   My PS often recommends LD for people with radiation if the skin is compromised and might not hold stitches or implants well.  It's a bigger surgery but you could end up with LD down the road anyway.   I tried a lot of shortcuts that didn't work before ending up with LD. Good Luck!!!!

• Jeepster1
    Jeepster1 Member Posts: 46

Hushpuppy, correct me if I'm wrong,  your PS punctured your TE.  My thoughts that if your pocket is a good size for you, why not just get the implants? If you need a little more expansion get another TE Then carry on with the fills.  Having said all this if you have compromised skin integrity this is a whole other ball game.  TE's can still get punctured with latisimus flap too.  Sounds like he was a little careless? So unfortunate you have to go through all this 😥 

• mamasixtaz
    mamasixtaz Member Posts: 156

Good to see things are going well for those who had LD flap in 2013. Just wondering if anyone is getting nipple recon? I am set for surgery Feb 27th. Any words of advice? My ps uses the origami flap method for making the nipples. A little nervous as I had trouble healing after the initial surgery but no problems following the exchange surgery. Hope this makes the finishing touch. Will follow up with tattoos in 3 months after surgery. Smile

• jwilco
    jwilco Member Posts: 209

mamasixtaz- I had my LD UMX in 2011.  I had my nipple done in 2012.  Even after all my creative protection of the nipple it still flattened out.   It was the same method, origami or cv flap.  If you really look and use your imagination there is some projection but really it's not noticeable.  I then had the tattooing done by a cosmetic tattoo artist that my Dr uses, covered by insurance.  She said cosmetic tattooing (like people would get for permanent eye liner) doesn't go as deep at as regular tattoo does.  It took more than one session a the color faded.  I am debating contacting her to see if I can get a retouch.  Neither procedure hurt.  I did ask the dr about a nipple recon where they use some other material (I think he said it's actually pig cartilage)  but I was sort of done with surgeries at that point anyway.  The tattoo lady said she had seen some of the nipples constructed like that and thought they sort of would get wonky and tilt a bit. 

Bottom line, at the end of all this even the lighter tattoo and the flatter "nipple" have made a huge huge difference in how I feel on the inside about how I look on the outside.  It is great to see yourself and not see a blank "boob".  In my opinion it just looks better with something in the space of the nipple.

I don't regret it. 

• Jeepster1

mamasixtaz, glad all is well with you,  I had my exchange done dec 6th, with nipple reconstruction.  Looks like the bell shape reconstruction, very similar to origami flap.  I'm real pleased !  I was one of the girls that was ok with "blank" boob look,  when I got to to the surgi center I was quite surprised he did the surgery with the exchange. ( my early Christmas present "nipples". )   Any way they look awsome!  Next step, tattoos and then dog ears on each side from LD.  What a process we have been through!

• mamasixtaz

Thanks for the advice! I am looking forward to getting this done and moving on. I don't like the underarm boob but not wanting any more surgery after this! Had enough of a scare when MO found another lump under my left arm on routine exam! US and biopsies again...waiting for results..B9!!! When will it end? I feel like it is just always hanging over me. Luckily I am busy with work and family so try not to worry about it but it's always a constant reminder in the mirror. Thanks again, will let u know how it goes.

• KSteve
    KSteve Member Posts: 190

I had my surgery 3 weeks ago today.  So far so good.  Although it took me a little longer to get on my feet than after my bilateral mastectomy.  I guess I am 3 years older too, but that couldn't be it, right?!  :)   Have my exchange surgery scheduled for April 3.  Not enjoying the expansion process during this 2nd time around.  But it was all worth it to get rid of that thin radiation skin.  I had developed a small hole, which is what prompted this surgery.  My PS (who we just love) came out and told my husband that it was a good thing we went forward with the surgery because it was a matter of when, not if, that the skin would continue to open up.  I guess it was really, really thin.  Happy to be on the recovery end now.  Life is good!

Kathy

• FreeYourMind
    FreeYourMind Member Posts: 10

Hi All! I had my bilateral lat flap 2 weeks ago with tissue expanders. 4 of my 6 drains were removed yesterday, yayy!!! I had previously gone through chemo, bilateral mastectomy, and radiation to my cancerous side, which had lymph node involvement. So, 2 weeks out and I have 2 annoying things that I would share to see if anyone had anything similar. #1. hard lump in my right breast at the top, center of the marionette stitches. It's sore and you can actually see it through the skin. PS said it's the muscle from my back. Will it ever soften up? #2. Same side, radiated side, I have a huge armpit lump! Ughh! What does that mean? I haven't had lymphedema so far. Thanks! Robin

• Jeepster1

Sounds like everyone is healing nicely!   One thing for sure is it takes time for all the swelling to resolve! Only after that will we know exactly what we're up against for any further tweaking.  Underarm swelling has not been an issue for me. Muscle spasms are pretty common for me even at this stage, when I'm relaxed the boobs are relaxed.  When tense up they become distorted. No pain anymore yea!  The girls do not like all this snow on the east coast :) 

• mamasixtaz

Only 9 days away till I get my nipples.  Don't know how much of the "flap" will be used as he makes up the nipples.  Will wait and see.  I agree the muscle spasms are worse with the colder weather, and shoveling is not comfortable!  But, things do seem to improve over time, a lot of time!  Patience is not my strong suit.  What bothers me more are the zings that feel like someone is stabbing me.  It is probably the muscle spasms but since my exchange I  have more in the non-cancer side.  After a long day really have a very heavy feeling under my arm stretching toward my back.  Very tiring but not really painful.  How is everyone's energy level?  I have a hard time with fatigue.  I don't know if it is all the surgeries or the Tamoxifen or both. I guess time will tell.  Glad all are doing well, hope the swelling goes down soon Free.  

• tangles
    tangles Member Posts: 211

Gosh I am just sick to my stomach! Have my flap surgery all booked for next week and went to see the PS yesterday and he says I do not have enough skin to do the immediate implant on the other side so I either go with tissue expanders ( NO WAY) I have paid my dues with those puppies and hated every second of them. I want nothing to do with more fills and another surgery to exchange them!!! The only other option is to have the Lat flap on both sides. Or do nothing and be lopsided. I am just SICK. He made it sound so easy last visit. Just said Lat flap of the radiated side and exchange the implant on the other side. Now looks like I am having a bilateral lat. I just don't know what to do:-( I have already booked myself off work and have my clients scheduled to come back to me in 4 weeks. Any thoughts??????

• KSteve
    KSteve Member Posts: 190

Tangles - I just had the lat flap on my radiated side with tissue expander on the right side almost 4 weeks ago.  As much as I didn't relish the thought of doing the tissue expander again, it's doable.  I've just had my 3rd fill (they filled it to about 150 cc during surgery) and I had two fills in the office since, every other week.  It's going fine.  My exchange surgery is scheduled for April 4, so it won't be that long.  It was the only way for me to get the result I wanted.  I know it's overwhelming and feels like you're going backwards, but it's just a small snapshot in time.  Before you know it, you'll be all done with the expander part of the process.  Please let me know if you have any questions.  Good luck with your decision!

Kathy

• Jeepster1

mommasixtaz, fatigue is a huge problem here too!  I only work 8 hr shifts, come home and don't feel like doing anything!  I'm sure when the weather breaks it will get better,it is too cold and too much snow here on the east coast to enjoy.  I'm an outside person! I did get out side and run a few times 1-2 miles, took a few days to recover after that!  I'm going to have to ease up to my goal of 1/2 marathon in November.  Good luck on your upcoming new nipples!  I love mine!  @ tangles, my TE's we're not unbearable, just doable, I worry that 4 weeks is not enough time to take off, you may need 6-8 weeks. Sorry you have to go through TE's again, my thoughts are that when all so finished you will be pleased. You latissimus will give good support for your implant.  

• tangles

Jeepster how is your back? I know I will have pain involved but am very concerned about losing both Lat muscles from my back:-( Are you weak?? I already have clients booked for 4 weeks out. I guess If I cant go back I will just have to call and cancel them all. What kind of implants did you get?

• VintageGal1111
    VintageGal1111 Member Posts: 126

Hello

I have been posting on a couple other forums since August but after yesterday's PS visit I knew I had to come here too. (2 weeks post chemo) 

My BS told me he would do the BMX, & the PS would put in both TEs. I was surprised & happy because I wasn't sure that was a possibility. But I met with the PS yesterday & because I will need radiation he would not do the TE on the cancer side. He explained the Flap to me & that is what he feels I am a candidate for. 

This was a lot for me to ponder. I wasn't planning on that nor being lopsided for 3 months.

He did mention to me that some women at this point decide to just have the BMX & put recon on hold. I can understand that. I am very small breasted & don't plan to be more than a tiny bit bigger when all this is done. But I do want the recon started at BMX, just makes me feel I am on my way to another milestone.

I have read quite a few posts, all very helpful. Hopefully I will be allowed to see some pics soon. 

Thanks!

• tangles

Vintage I am having bilater lat flap on Wednesday. I will be taking lots of photos. I have photos from before my cancer, with TE in , my exchange, my radiation and will be including photos of my lat results. Wish me luck.

• VintageGal1111
    VintageGal1111 Member Posts: 126

Hi tangles,

all the best to you! This is such a journey. No one knows unless they have traveled it.

• Pat816
    Pat816 Member Posts: 2

I am going to have bilateral latissimus flap reconstruction done.  I would like to chat with someone that has had this done.

• Pat816
    Pat816 Member Posts: 2

I had breast cancer in 2010 and lumpectomy in 2011.  After the first surgery the margins were not clear and I had to have another surgery.  In February of 2011 I had radiation.  I was cancer free for 3 1/2 years and it came back in the same breast in 2013.  I decided to have bilateral mastectomy.  That surgery went well and then I started having problems with my non-cancer side.  I got an infection and had drainage.  I was told that my breast tissue that was left was too thin.  It would not support my expanders therefore I would either have to have latissumus flap surgery or very small implants.  I was large chested before and do not think I would like being small and would regret not having the surgery.  I will have implants along with the surgery.  I am just worried that everything will not heal properly.  Are the scars really bad and how long did you have to have the tubes in?

• Jeepster1

Tangles , by back is fine, I have no pain or discomfor. (Post surgery my back was In revolt, a lot of muscle contractions, very painful) currently 8 months post-op  I work as a nurse, I can reach up to if poles with no difficulty now, I can reach anything in my pantry, (it was pretty difficult in the beginning) pulling and lifting is no problem. I'm a lot more carefull now. You should be ok, our motto here has kinda been "slow and steady" on the recovery you can not push your self or you will end up with seromas, and potentially longer time with your drains. I plan On kayaking this summer this will be my true test as to how my other muscles will compensate for the latissimus loss. Hope this helps. Oh my implants are natrelle silicone 420's. @ Pat816. Before my surgery I u-tubed the surgery to see what to expect, they were pretty informative,(not for the weak stomach but very helpful) several women showing their back incisions, and drains.   just keep in mind you will heal in your own time, not like every one else. 

• mamasixtaz

Tangles wishing you the best as you head into this recon journey.  You have already been through so much, hope all goes well and you are pleased with the results.  I too have had good results.  I do have some pain after a long day (I am a nurse too) but with advil or tylenol I get relief  with occasionally taking a muscle relaxant.  I have good movement with my arms with some weakness from before but doesn't prevent me from doing my job and every day chores. Jeepster is right, slow and steady wins the race.  Plan on taking it easy for awhile with some helpers around the house.    I had some infection issues at first but was able to get treated early and then healed well.   I will be right behind you having my nipples added on Thursday!  My PS says it will be like getting my nails done, nothing to worry about.  SillyHeart 

Pat-What a journey for you as well, hang in there...I don't regret having the surgery but the anxiety before is the hardest.  I had 6 drains to start and kept in the last one for about 3-4 weeks.  Thought I would never get it out, but once I did wished I could have put it back as I did develop seromas that had to be drained each week.  Healing was slow but eventually made it through it.  My scars are starting to fade now on foobs and my back.    I too was good size and wanted to be as proportional as possible.  The implants are 800cc each and the LD supports them well and adds some volume as well. Best wishes as you enter this part of your journey. 

• tangles

So girls I have taken off work for 4 weeks. Am I pushing it?? I was going to go back to work the 4th week for just two days for 5 or 6 hrs each. Maybe I should take an extra week? I am a hairstylist so my arms are up in the air about shoulder height. My PS said 4 to 6 weeks.

• jwilco
    jwilco Member Posts: 209

tangles - I would think about taking the 6 off.  Only because your job involves moving your arms and standing up for long stretches of time.  But everyone is different.  Can you see how you feel and then add some extra time?  I have a desk job and took off longer, but I also had a stupid drain in for a really long time. 

It's hard to know exactly but I've learned from my surgeries that it can be best to plan for the longer and if you feel ok then go back sooner. 

• mamasixtaz

I agree this is a big surgery so take off and heal. If you can go back early great! I had my bmx and LD recon together so it was a double hit so can't say that the recovery may be shorter for recon only.  I know I needed to return to work as I support my family but was delayed due to infection...you don't want to risk that.  Good luck and many HUGs!