Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemotherapy for Stage IV

Options

Comments

• freebird53
    freebird53 Member Posts: 141
    edited February 2015
    Options

Well it's 3 days on antibotics 3 x a day...have been home...sorry I worried you all...they didn't want me in the hospital..due to how infectious it was...wouldn't be good on the OC floor...So I have no more diarrhea.. they pain level is low...it was very painful...I start Halaven...I believe they told me last week...but I had my CAT scan Monday...may have changed...see my NP tomorrow...OC is at a conference...but has been calling me every morning...He is so nice to me..and cares... and my NP she is totally awesome...They want me to finish the antibiotics before they start me on any probiotic...I have been eating Activa yogart...highly recommended...Let's just say I feel about 50% better..but still very tender in my lower abdominal area...and it doesn't help I have a colostomy too...

Thank you to all..I never can remember all your usernames/names...but you all know who you are and those that support me and reach out...I don't know what I would do with out you all...Love to all Carla

• CalicoCat
    CalicoCat Member Posts: 299
    edited February 2015
    Options

Carla! Prayers and hugs flying your way!!!! Sooooooooo glad you have an OC and NP you adore. They'll take good care of you.

Seeing you healed and at peace,

xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Calico

• freebird53
    edited February 2015
    Options

OMG...start another treatment tomorrow...I think it's going to be Halaven...will see...Have a good nite...this will be the 4th different treatment...Have you all had several treatments...I have Bone/liver mets...from Breast Cancer

• CalicoCat
    edited February 2015
    Options

Hi, Carla, look at the bottom of my posts and, since turning metastatic, you'll see I've been on 4 so far, and I think the next one is going to be Halaven, too. Just another bump in the Stage IV trail!

xoxoxoxooxox

Calico

• Beachbum1023
    Beachbum1023 Member Posts: 364
    edited February 2015
    Options

Hi freebird, I am still in rads, but I go back to the MO after I finish the rads next week. Then we will see what's next for me. I cannot go back to Adriamycin, or any Taxane. I have heart damage from the Adriamycin, and the Taxol I had regrew my tumor faster than it grew the first time.

I'm not sure where or what because I am triple negative and Stage IV, and there ain't no 5. Add a guitar and I could sing my song Country style. But I think Halaven is one of the drugs the MO listed on my menu.............no wonder we are exhausted. I can hardly wait to find out.

• CalicoCat
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi, all, it's been almost a month since my 2nd monthly Doxil treatment, and my hands are much worse than they ever were on months of Xeloda. They are swollen and inflamed and cracking on the palm side. I had hoped by now they would be on the mend, but that's nowhere in sight. I see my onc on Monday, and there's just no way I can withstand another treatment with it. The only treatment for the hand thing seems to be a steroid cream that has the consistency of Vaseline..

Thanks for listening xoxoxo,

Calico

• SyrMom
    SyrMom Member Posts: 575
    edited March 2015
    Options

Calico, the same exact thing happened to me.  I ended up losing sheets of skin on both hands/feet.  Doxil sits in the fat cells, so it makes it worse.  Hang in there.

• CalicoCat
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you, SyrMom, I'm so sorry it happened to you, but it gives me comfort to know someone else had this side effect and is still sane! Not being able to use one's hands or feet is, uh, a little bit limiting!

Thanks for being there.

xoxoxoxoxo

Calico

• Beachbum1023
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hey Calico, I have neuropathy in my feet, the hands are better with the meds. But I feel a little tipsy tripping over my feet. Once the skin peeled and the nails came off I was much better. I just feel like a snake shedding my skin............yikes! I think the side effects are more challenging than the treatments. Sucks either way!

• CalicoCat
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hey, Beachbum and everyone, I saw my GP today for a follow-up, and he guessed it would be 3 weeks before my hands were healed. I, frankly, think that's optimistic, and if I have another treatment on Monday, uh, no way! I called and talked to the onc nurses again today, and they said it should get better in about a week, and that the onc could lower my Doxil dose. I just can't see taking any more before my hands are much, much better, and then I'm not even sure. This is definitely worse than it ever was on Xeloda.

I think it's a dirty deal that we can have numbness and pain at the same time! Soooooooo sorry about your nails coming off. I was very concerned about that with the Abraxane because they started to lift up on my hands, also painful. They seem to be growing out now, so Doxil doesn't appear to be doing a number on them.

So we'll keep working on not tripping over our own feet!

xoxoxoxoxoxo

Calico

• SyrMom
    edited March 2015
    Options

Calico, it was 3 weeks for follow up look at hand/feet, but no way were they healed.  Weren't completely healed until approx. 6-8 weeks later & then sensitive for a while.  A reduced dose was mentioned but didn't happen cause my reaction was considered toxic.  Turns out doxil wasn't working for me anyway. 

• freebird53
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Everyone....I got out of the hospital on Tuesday after a 3 day stay for my hernia that has been coming to head for a couple mths...They told me that some of the other intestines are trying to make there way through the wall of the hernia and that causes extreme pain cuz they are getting pitched...I technically should be having the surgery to correct the situation...but because of my cancer it is out of the questions...I got a shot to bring up my counts in the hospital 5.7 next day down 2.8 so OC was saying Treatment on Wednesday...but when to treatment got blood work...cts down to .9 NO CHEMO....I am currently in a very serious situation here with this condition with my colostomy and hernia/bowels...It can be life threatening if it is not surgically taken care of immediately..but for now I am carefully monitoring the situation with heating pad and pushing on the hernia to release the intestines back down from entering the wall of the hernia...Really Right...my life is my hands now...but if it gets to intense pain wise I am to go to ER ....so keeping my self relaxed and resting...it's been a hell of week...all most gave up on everything...Here I have Cancer and may not die from it...

I hope everyone has a great weekend...L&R Carla :)

• Beachbum1023
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi freebird, I am so glad that you are out of the hospital, and resting at home. You have had a rough go this week. I hope you have a pleasant, peaceful weekend to get on the mend. Take Care, Cheryl

• GrammyR
    GrammyR Member Posts: 297
    edited March 2015
    Options

freebird- ask them to hold chemo until after the surgery. It sounds you really- really need it. However low WBC and infection a huge risk for you especially w/all those super bugs in hospitals now. As a retired nurse that is what I do . Return to chemo once you get safely fixed.Hugs!

Rene

• SyrMom
    edited March 2015
    Options

freebird, glad to hear you're out of the hospital & back home.  If it were me, I'd pursue what GrammyR recommended as something needs to be done.

Anyone here experienced back spasms as a side effect of chemo?  If so, what worked for you as a treatment?  I have known spinal mets but never experienced this.  Xray ruled out fracture & recent MRI showed status of mets.  Nothing seems to bring relief for long - I'm getting desperate.  Am taking baclofen, helps some.  Can't try flexeril with this chemo.

• CalicoCat
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi, freebird, so sorry you are between a rock and a hard place. Prayers flying your way for guidance and peace.

xoxoxoxox

Calico

• CalicoCat
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi, SyrMom, I haven't had back spasms from chemo (yet!), but what's helped me when I've hurt my back is the muscle relaxant methocarbamol. It was prescribed to me to take along with Tylenol w/codeine. I hope you find relief soon.

And thank you so much for what sounds like a much more plausible healing time frame for my hand problem. I think the docs & nurses are dreaming.

One more "gift" I noticed today that I assume is from the Doxil: my armpits and surrounding area are turning dark like a bad bruise, and if the area isn't dark, it has what I guess is a rash that feels like painful chafing. I've quit wearing a bra to try to help, but what the heck is up with the dark armpits???

Onward in the ever murky and mysterious Cancerland!

xoxoxoxoxo

Calico

• SyrMom
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks, Calico, I'll look up that med; I've been in agony.

As far as the skin darkening & chafing, oh, yes!!  Another side effect!  They didn't tell you!  Lol!  I had it all under the arms, panty line & actually down both sides of my trunk - very strange.  Good news is, it goes away but not quickly.  Happy

• CalicoCat
    edited March 2015
    Options

Dang, SyrMom! I bet I won't be able to pose for the Playboy calendar this year! lol THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR TELLING ME ABOUT THIS!!!! At least I now know my armpits aren't going to fall off! :)

This may be one of those "you had to be there" things, but I pulled off my knit cap today, and asked my husband in a very flamboyant and totally facetious way if he'd noticed the 1/2" of (mostly gray) hair I now sport on my head, and he said, "Yes! You look like a 30-something gay boy!". Best laugh I had all day!

xoxoxooxxo

Calico

• CalicoCat
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi, I saw the onc today and he agreed that the Doxil had done a bad number on my hands, and my tumor markers had barely budged after 2 treatments, so no more Doxil for me. He wants me to get a CT scan and see him in 2 weeks, and we'll figure out what to do then. He said again he "still has some things up his sleeve." I'm afraid his sleeve is getting a bit empty at this point.

xoxoxoxoxxo and thanks so much for your advice and support!

Calico

• Beachbum1023
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Calico, maybe he has really big sleeves? Let's see what he does have after the CT. I am hoping for the best, and sending you lots of hugs!

• SyrMom
    edited March 2015
    Options

Calico ... I'm glad to hear you're off doxil, because I  know from experience when the side effects get to that point it's necessary.  It will only get worse, otherwise.  FYI ... it may get a little worse yet cause the stuff sits in the fat cells, but it will turn around at some point.  In case he didn't mention it, be real careful to avoid infection of your hands/feet - they are very susceptible now, especially when the skin starts coming off.  I found aquaphor helped a lot with the healing. 

We're both in a similar boat, so keep us posted as to what is up his sleeve.  Hang in there!  

• apackoftwo
    apackoftwo Member Posts: 64
    edited March 2015
    Options

New drug for stage IV

It was mentioned at my last appointment with oncologist that a new drug has been approved for tx of stage IV bc - it is a drug taken orally and just approved within the past few weeks. Does anyone know what this drug is?

• freebird53
    edited March 2015
    Options

Could it be Palbociclib??

• freebird53
    edited March 2015
    Options

Well ...Had my treatment today...You know...getting Halaven...Falslodex....and Xgeva shot....I am tired today...my hernia is in check...Have to have some kind of shot to bring my cts up..I wish I could just find something that works...so I can get stable and just not think of this disease...I try so hard daily not to let it control my world....some days good some days I can't...It's been so nice out .I want to start spring things...like take off my storm windows and work on my rock garden getting it cleaned up from all the pine needles...etc...but I just don't have the energy...before ...I could tackle it like nothing...Just want somethings back to normal...Well everyone have a good nite...going to bed to rest ....

• GrammyR
    GrammyR Member Posts: 297
    edited March 2015
    Options

freebird53- so sorry you are having it rough right now. Things will improve but as you mentioned they may never be " normal" anymore. My normal ended in 2006 - its much better now but still cannot do some things I used to like riding a bike. Yep , a little outdoor yard work is nice when we can . Just take it a day- week at a time.

The new drug you mentioned will be a good thing for post menopause ER pos breast cancer but maybe not the drug of choice for other types.Hope it will be readily available soon. Hugs.

Rene

• apackoftwo
    apackoftwo Member Posts: 64
    edited March 2015
    Options

Yes, thank you freebird53 - think that is it. Plan to talk with doc tomorrow.

• Beachbum1023
    edited March 2015
    Options

Was it Keytruda? I saw it mentioned on another thread. Bosco is taking it, but I think she is in England. She is triple negative.

• freebird53
    edited March 2015
    Options

I'm sitting here tonite...thinking well thank you God for making my treatment go well today...will see how the next few days go....but then...a tear rolls down my face...I wish I had someone to hold me and sit here with me...I think of all the people that have that someone to hold tonite...I could use that in my life...just saying Nite Peeps!!! Bubba...come and let momma hug you...

• Beachbum1023
    edited March 2015
    Options

freebird, that is one awesome picture! Cutest little snuggle buddy ever. The face is skeptical, but the tongue is hilarious. Undecided maybe?

One thing I have learned from the first day of landing in Cancerland, was the lows are so low, and highs are few and far between. But I go the entire range, multiple times a day. I find it hard to find my center, or have the urge to go to my happy place for a walk. I sometimes feel defeated. But then I get back on the track and move forward yet again. I have two more rads to go and I can hardly drag myself there. I can't wait to be done!

I am so happy that your treatment went well, but I do get the powerful feelings that come with it. You have every right to feel scared but hopeful. We are entitled to our melt downs. I am sending warm hugs and happy thoughts your way, I hope you can relax and enjoy them. I am glad you came here tonight, you know that you are never alone here, we are all walking the same path. Take care, and I hope you feel better in the morning! I wish I could do so much more.............