Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemotherapy for Stage IV

Options

Comments

• ronniekay
    ronniekay Member Posts: 657
    edited April 2015
    Options

I didn't see you were going to get a brain scan, Calico..as frightening as it is, I'm glad your onc is being thorough. Like with the MS being ruled out...so it will be w/brain mets...ever hopeful! Prayers for feeling better :-)

• GrammyR
    GrammyR Member Posts: 297
    edited April 2015
    Options

CalicoCat- Yep I too had brain CT and angio 18 months post chemo. No diagnosis just given leg braces to walk with-6 years later they are gone- thank God. I was told different things to from classic MS to stroke to chemo -Taxol related( none proven by the way). Still have some symptoms but am told not brain mets even tho no more brain CT done. ( Not enough symptoms to warrent supposedly). My brain. fog is clearing and going to gym a couple of times a week. When it comes to Neuro diagnosis there is thing absolute unless they can be sure on MRI- hugs and let us know how things goHeart

• CalicoCat
    CalicoCat Member Posts: 299
    edited April 2015
    Options

Thanks, Grammy, that's quite a bit you've been through! I sometimes feel like neurology is in its infancy. They can advise, but can't really fix anything. Time does most of the healing.

I had my pre-MRI talk with someone at the scan place, and they said they use a contrast dye called gadolinium (sp?). i had a breast MRI about 4 years ago, and when they injected the gadolinium, my heart started racing. Scared the beejeesusff out of me, so I ain't gonna let them use it on me again.

xoxoxoxoxoxo

Calico

• susan3
    susan3 Member Posts: 2,631
    edited April 2015
    Options

beachbum...just found this site. You may have gotten you answer, running nose or eyes, don't remember. I have both from last chemo. Sinus anals restrict and the fluid has no place to exit except eyes and nose. Mine hasn't gone completely away on the new chemo. But it's bothbeyes in morning with runny nose, then just my right eye and right nostril the rest of the day . So it's a but better. Heard you can get stents. My doc said today I won't be permanent...but we will see.

Good luck

• Beckster
    Beckster Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2015
    Options

I started taxol today weekly treatments I have 5 left tonight I have stomach pain has anyone else had this? I'm also on femara. I was first diagnosed in 2012 er+/pr+ her2- left breast lumpectomy stage 2b 3cm, lymph node and sentinel biopsy 3/18. A month ago found out it's back everything they found said is very small lymph node in left arm pit, lymph node between pulmonary artery, two small nodules on outside of right lung, small spot on inside right lung, and spot on liver. Said I'm now stage 4 metastatic breast cancer er+/pr- her2- it changed I'm 42yrs old, I'm feeling good wouldn't of even found if I didn't have back pain got plural effusion had to have drained my doctor is wonderful she said going to be fine just have to get through the treatmentsand get better has anyone ever gone through this if so any advice please😊

• shazzakelly
    shazzakelly Member Posts: 620
    edited May 2015
    Options

Beckster I can't help you with the stomach problems but I have been on weekly Taxol for over 18 months. It really did a number on my Mets and has kept me stable all this time. There is a thread for weekly taxol for stage 4 which is worth reading. You may get some answers there.

• Karz72
    Karz72 Member Posts: 102
    edited May 2015
    Options

Beckster I've had a tender stomach on & off with Taxol the past few weeks. Seems to be when I feel too good & stray from my bland, high-veg diet :-) Try being gentle with your system while you're going through this.

I did tell my onc & I've been on Omez for stomach acid since I started chemo in December, onc isn't concerned.

• apackoftwo
    apackoftwo Member Posts: 64
    edited June 2015
    Options

Ronnie Kay - are you using Navelbine? I just found out yesterday that Xeloda had failed - liver mets grew twice size in 4 months so my onc wants to try Navelbine. I was hoping for Ibrance/Femara but she is a bit reluctant since hormone inhibitors have failed in the past. Sorry this post is short with not a lot of info - I am still recovering from toxic reaction to Xeloda (feet and hands turned bright blue) and long trek to onc appointment yesterday (250 miles). Anyway she has suggested 2 weeks on and one week off with the Navelbine. I would to hear feedback about this drug from anyone who has used it - success of not. Thanks, Susie

• apackoftwo
    edited June 2015
    Options

Ronnie Kay - are you using Navelbine? I just found out yesterday that Xeloda had failed - liver mets grew twice size in 4 months so my onc wants to try Navelbine. I was hoping for Ibrance/Femara but she is a bit reluctant since hormone inhibitors have failed in the past. Sorry this post is short with not a lot of info - I am still recovering from toxic reaction to Xeloda (feet and hands turned bright blue) and long trek to onc appointment yesterday (250 miles). Anyway she has suggested 2 weeks on and one week off with the Navelbine. I would to hear feedback about this drug from anyone who has used it - success of not. Thanks, Susie

• Redroan
    Redroan Member Posts: 111
    edited June 2015
    Options

I took it for about 5 months I think, Very little side effects, It failed me eventually too but I hope you have great results with it.

Any one on Taxotere? I had my first treatment a week ago and have not felt well since. I hurt every where, No energy, weak, sweaty. low grade temps. had Nuelasta day after which I am sure is why I hurt but the rest I did not expect at all.

Redroan

• steelrose
    steelrose Member Posts: 318
    edited June 2015
    Options

I'm wondering if anyone else is currently on Doxil? I get the feeling it's not a common chemo? Or maybe I'm just weird!

Summer chemo's not fun. I wish all of you the best.

Rose.

• jcfree
    jcfree Member Posts: 30
    edited June 2015
    Options

Redroan, I can relate to what you are experiencing with Taxotere. I had 6 rounds of Taxotere/Herceptin/Perjeta finished the last one on March 31. That Taxotere is tough. Lots of SE's with it. Fatigue, neuropathy in my feet, constipation then diarrhea, stomach cramping and no appetite. Neulasta shot was bad also, bone pain from my jaw to my toes for about 3-4 days after the shot. I had each treatment every 3 weeks and it took about a week and a half to recover every time so I would have a week and a half where I felt ok. Now I am on just Herceptin/Perjeta every 3 weeks and other than some fatigue and runny eyes and nose it's a cake walk compared to Taxotere. I did find that some of the SE's did subside towards the end of the Taxotere treatments while the fatigue got worse.

• Redroan
    edited June 2015
    Options

jcfree, Thanks for the info, at least I know now that I am not just weird, Did you loose your hair? Just curious. I am 1 week and 2days out and still feel like crap, appetite a bit better today.

And yes I had constipation then diarrhea. No nausea which is good but no appetite, with the exception of a weird craving once in a while , Like regular pepsi ( I havn't had caffine in years but it was so good) .

Thanks for sharing

Redroan

• jcfree
    edited June 2015
    Options

Redroan hang in there. I would say that you are doing great even with the SE's you are having. Yes I did lose my hair at about 16 days after my first treatment, my hair just started falling out so I took the electric clippers and shaved it all off. I got two wigs, which I have yet to wear out. I have bought several cute hats which I love wearing when I leave the house, and have gotten lots of compliments on my hats. They are more comfortable for me than the wigs, but my son is getting married in September so I will have to wear a wig for that. No nausea is good, I too was lucky to not have that SE. I look at it as I just wanted to complete all of my chemo treatments and it was a big deal I felt to be able to. So hopefully you won't get any more new SE's and maybe some of them will get better as your treatments go on. It sounds like you have tolerated your first treatment very well. Take care of yourself to be as healthy as you can during treatment. As soon as I felt better after each treatment I started exercising for the week and a half before the next treatment and I take supplements that have been cleared from my Onc to help keep immune system strong as possible. One good thing also was I have lost over 20 lbs. during chemo. Pulling for you to sail through chemo!

• Redroan
    edited June 2015
    Options

jcfree, Thanks for sharing, I do not have a wig, I did not wear one after adriamycin so don't think I will this time unless there is a big life event. I will just wear a hat. Feels more like me then a wig.

I would take the weight loss, as I am to heavy . My tongue is sore from thrush, That started a few days after my first treatment. I have just been watching what I eat, can't be to spicey or hot or acidy. But I am doing ok that way

Still feel weak as a kitten if I do much but I will try and increase my activity . I know that will help. physically and mentally.

Onc has not said how many of these treatments I will get usually we just go till it quits working. But have heard this one is usually 6 treatments so time will tell.

Thanks for the well wishes and info and I hope the rest get better as we go along , hoping each treatment is getting easier to tolerate.

Redroan

• CalicoCat
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi, Susie and Rose, I have been on Navelbine, and later Doxil.  The only SE I had with Navelbine was sleepiness.  I usually don't take naps, but couldn't look at the couch without wanting to lay down on it. 

Doxil and I didn't do well together.  The palms of my hands were very inflamed after 2 monthly treatments and I had to go off it.  The inflammation took several months to clear up.  The nurses were surprised it was so persistent, and even asked the drug rep. about it who said it would go away, but could happen if the patient used their hands too much too soon.  Uh, I was babying them as much as possible.  Love how they blame the patient for their drug's stinking SEs! 

xoxoxoxoxo

Calico

• apackoftwo
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi Calicocat - my side effects with Xeloda very bad - I know some have a easy time with it - I did not - so your words about Navelbine are encouraging - I would like to deal with this cancer but also have some quality of life. May I ask why you stopped Navelbine? did it not work for you or did it fail after time? Susie

• CalicoCat
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi, Susie, unfortunately, the Navelbine didn't help.  My tumor markers went up and there was progression on the scans, so the onc switched me to Abraxane.

I, too, had a rough time on Xeloda.  Very painful soles of feet and palms of hands, and the skin in those areas came off in sheets.  I totally get you on the QOL issue.

I sure wish bc.org would get the date order fixed on when treatments were used.  I wrote the mods some time ago and they said the problem was being worked on, but no progress to date.

xoxoxooxoo

Calico

• apackoftwo
    edited June 2015
    Options

Calico - funny how we are all so different isn't it - there is now a thread for Navelbine and at least two women there have had excellent results - so still hopeful - really at this point I am up for anything except Xeloda - bummer is I have a two and half hour drive each way to infusions and she wants two weeks on and one week off - thinking of moving closer to tx but I live in a little piece of heaven on California coast and want to stay as long as I can manage it.

From your CalicoCat name I assume you have little creatures you are very attached to - my Oliver (9 year old bichon frise) is my rock - simply put I would not have made it this far without him - our pack of two - and my docs are so understanding of our attachment I am now able to bring him into appointments - and my primary care oncologist babysits when I have to have scans as she is in same building and he cannot go to scans with me.

Hopefully I will start navelbine this week so will keep you posted. Thanks, Susie

• CalicoCat
    edited June 2015
    Options

Wow, Susie, I will complain no more about my 2 hr. roundtrip infusion trek.  I can imagine why you're loathe to move.

I have a friend with a bichon frise - darling dog!  We had 5 cats, but sadly lost our 13 yr. old recently.  We hadn't planned on having 5 cats.  Love them all, but 2 would have been fine!

SyrMom's theory is if a person gets the hand/foot syndrome with a chemo that's known for it (all of them aren't), that same person will be prone to get it on other drugs where it's a possible side effect.  That's been true for me.  Another medical mystery.

Take care and seeing Navelbine being a home run for you!

xoxxoxoxoxox

Calico

• steelrose
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi Calico,

Thank you for your input on Doxil. I'm another who had a bad case of hand/foot on Xeloda, so I'm bracing myself for the worst. My soles are already red after one round of Doxil. Ugh.

Onward we go! Wishing you the best…

Rose.

• Redroan
    edited June 2015
    Options

Does anyone think that waiting for your hair to fall out is actually worse then having it gone! I have been told that mine will fall out again with the Taxotere, I think anticipation is driving me crazy. Keep looking in the mirror on my shoulders and chlothes, after my shower . Oh well what happens happens.

Redroan

• susan3
    susan3 Member Posts: 2,631
    edited June 2015
    Options

steel rose, I think o was ok on doxil, I am on my 7 th chemo, hard to keep track sometimes. But I think doxil was better than xeloda for me. I got off of it early cause a new med was just approved. So didn't have the long haul with it. I have found the taxotere drugs the worst. They are cumulative so it's hard to get a system working. Good luck al

• steelrose
    edited June 2015
    Options

Thank you, Susan! I appreciate your feedback. And I hope your current treatment is working for you.

Wishing you the best…

Rose.

• Freygea
    Freygea Member Posts: 217
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hello ladies!

I had my fisrt chemo session yesterday. No side effects thus far. I was there for 5 hours but the time seemed to go by fast. Received Herceptin,Perjeta and Taxotere. with a bunch of pre-meds.

I head back there today(another 2 hour round trip bleh) to get my Neulesta shot. Taking Claritin in hopes it will reduce (better yet) eliminate ) bone pain from this shot tomorrow.

Great thing is I am heading down with a good friend so will have good company and I am sure a laugh or two.

• ForestDweller
    ForestDweller Member Posts: 55
    edited June 2015
    Options

Does your clinic not have the Neulasta on-body?

It's a little thingy they stick onto your belly before you go home on chemo day. The next day it injects the Neulasta automatically.

I get the regular shot immediately after chemo. Some insurances don't allow that, claiming the shot isn't as effective when given the same day as chemo. This has been disproven. The shot doesn't actually kick in until between day 7 and 10 anyway.

Either option would save you another two hour drive. That's the lenght of my roundtrip too.

• Freygea
    edited June 2015
    Options

I have not been offered the timed Neulasta patch. I am hoping I may be able to talk them into letting my take it home (retired rn) in the future and self inject or even maybe they will coordinatre with a doc close to home .

I will bring it up on my next visit. Would love to be able to head down there less if at all possible.

• Freygea
    edited June 2015
    Options

Day 4 post Taxotere,Perjeta,Herceptin.

Ugh. Yesterday was an achy day. Taking the Clariton so I am sure it could have been worse. Today I am a bit achy but better than yesterday.

I have read that the neulasta shots get less achy but the chemo se's become more apparent as the sessions progress? So far the only thing I am experiencing is the bone pain from the neulasta. Tired, but have been so do not think that has increased at all. No nausea nor other problems...I am sure I just jinxed myself.

• jcfree
    edited June 2015
    Options

Freygea, yes that Neulasta shot is painful. I had the same chemo as you plus Neulasta the day after. Neulasta caused bone pain from my jaw to my feet, felt achy too. My SE's from chemo treatment were worst after first one then subsequent ones the SE's seemed to get better. Except for the fatigue which seemed to get worse as treatment went on. I was just happy to complete all six rounds. Hope that for you too. Wishing successful outcome from your chemo treatments.

• Freygea
    edited July 2015
    Options

Than you JC. I made it through the Neulasta and now have a rash on both hands. I know it is from me washing my hands too much..gah. The rest of my body is starting to feel better and now MY HANDS! I want to chop them off.

I fell like I am wasting all my energy fighting pain and the se's. and this is just the first treatment. Taking benadryl for my hands and using monistat on them.

My hubby says "Just allow yourself to be sick"...

Wut?????????????????

Bawling

I'll survive I know things could be worse. Winking