Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemotherapy for Stage IV

Options

Comments

• chrimsonfyre
    chrimsonfyre Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2015
    Options

I am unsure of the name of the chemo my mom is currently now on. She was originally diagnosed July 2014 with Stage 3B Inflammatory Breast Cancer Triple Negative. She did 26 weeks of chemo, then had a mastectomy and 12 lymph nodes removed in January. Chemo caused her to advance her osteoporosis, and she is now trying to heal 7 fractures in her spine. She never got to do her complete radiation because it was too painful to lay on the tables with a broken back. She had a net pet scan done in early June, to find out we are now Stage 4, there are new lymph nodes lighting up on the same side we already removed 12, and now there is a tumor in her left lung. They have started her on chemo again, a different kind. She will do round 3 tomorrow. There are new symptoms this time, she has a lot of joint pain and swelling. Does anyone have suggestions to naturally help these symptoms?

• jcfree
    jcfree Member Posts: 30
    edited July 2015
    Options

Freygea, the first one is the hardest, mine was. But you did make it through it, that is something to crow about. Now you know what to expect and know that you did good through your first, you can do it again and again. My subsequent rounds were milder than my first and many of the SE's I had the first time faded during the rest of them. My hands too had this red chemical SE, they were dry, itchy, red, yuck!! Just keep them lotioned up, which I found helped. Once you are done with chemo, your hands will go back to normal.

• SyrMom
    SyrMom Member Posts: 575
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hi everyone ... I'm beginning Taxotere next week after Gemzar failure. Was on Taxol for approx. 11 mo. back in 2013-2014. I understand Taxotere is a tough one (getting it weekly), so looking to hear your experiences with it. Thank you so much.

• susan3
    susan3 Member Posts: 2,631
    edited August 2015
    Options

skymom, sorry you have to go on taxotere. I don't inform my doc of all systems, not a good idea . It can cause pleurisy and Edema. I got both. Could hardly breath. Didn't tell my doc for a few months. It has taken 7/8 months before my left lung stared feeling better. Wouldn't infuse completely. It was just yesterday when it felt better. Keep in close contact with doc, and report all symptoms. Taxotere is a drug that continues with whatever your side effects are, they will keep getting worse. Some drugs have their symptoms but they are what they are. They don't get worse the longer you are on them. Sorry this wasn't uplifting, just informative from my experience on that drug

• SyrMom
    SyrMom Member Posts: 575
    edited August 2015
    Options

Susan3, thank you for sharing your experience; I'd rather be informed than not. Were you on weekly or 21 day infusions?

• susan3
    susan3 Member Posts: 2,631
    edited August 2015
    Options

21 day infusions. Good luck...it's a tuffy

• sueper13
    sueper13 Member Posts: 360
    edited August 2015
    Options

I'm sure it's been discussed before, but anyone out there have information/experience with Gemzar/Carboplatin weekly doses 2 weeks on one week off? I have hair questions, and blood count questions....thanks in advance.

Sue

• CalicoCat
    CalicoCat Member Posts: 299
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hi, Sue, Carbo/Gemzar is the last chemo I was on. Week one I got both of them, week two I got Gemzar only, and week three I was off treatment. I'd already lost my hair with previous chemo, and it wasn't coming back with the Carbo/Gemzar. The chemo regimen hit my blood counts pretty hard, and my tumor marker was rising, so the conclusion was it wasn't working for me. Everbody's different, though so might work wonders for you.

Keep hanging in there!

xoxooxoxoxoxo

Calico

• Redroan
    Redroan Member Posts: 111
    edited August 2015
    Options

Sue,

I was only on it a short time, Markers went up. I hope you have better luck with it. I did not loose my hair and they said I would. I did not feel great on it either. Cant really explain how I felt but I know it was not one ofmy favorites.

Best of luck to you. These boards are full of information and caring ladies

Redroan

• sueper13
    sueper13 Member Posts: 360
    edited August 2015
    Options

Thanks for your replies, and the kind words. Have seen the radiation oncologist and she gave us a lot of hope. Have seen acupuncturist once and will be going again. Going to see a counselor Thursday as my husband and I are dealing with this in very different ways and I need some tools. One thing I know from doing this before is not to ask him how he feels, but to ask him what he thinks. Oh, and I think I may be buying a red convertible this week..

• Beachbum1023
    Beachbum1023 Member Posts: 364
    edited August 2015
    Options

Sueper13, go buy the red convertible first, it will make the week way better! After my first DD AC I traded my car for a new silver Cruze. I figured with 72 payments I had to work really hard to stay well to pay it off. I just made the 13th payment. For winter I opted for a full length mink. LOL I'm planning on living before dying.................Cheryl

• Redroan
    Redroan Member Posts: 111
    edited August 2015
    Options

Sue, Buy the convertible. What an awesome Ride. Enjoy!

Red roan

• auroaya
    auroaya Member Posts: 784
    edited August 2015
    Options

I started chemo (Abraxane) last month and have been hanging n the July 2015 chemo thread but most of the people there are early stagers and they look forward to finishing treatment while me my doctor says I'll stay on Abraxane until it stops working and then will switch to a different one and so on until nothing works anymore, Is that the same thing you all been told or were you given a time when you can stop treatment being stage IV?

Anyone on Abraxane? Any insights welcomed.

Auroaya

• sandilee
    sandilee Member Posts: 436
    edited August 2015
    Options

I started Xeloda last month- finished my first cycle with no issues and am now on my second. I hope I can continue to take this, although I hear that sometimes the bad SEs don't come up until second or third cycle. So far, so good.

Auroaya- To your question about stopping chemo at Stage IV, my onc thinks that if I get stable on Xeloda, he will put me back on a hormone blocker. He thinks my best long term bet is the anti-hormonals, as they can work longer. I was surprised, as I thought once I started chemo, that would be it, but he has a different idea.

35 years in the field, and I trust him. At this point, I'm just hoping that Xeloda does what we want it to do and shrinks my liver tumors.

• Beachbum1023
    Beachbum1023 Member Posts: 364
    edited August 2015
    Options

I am currently out of treatment and have been since I finished chemo on 11/25 2014. My MO told me to go live and check in every 6 months until something changes. I'm good with that for now, but I also know that one day I may have to go back to chemo to keep things stable. So I am doing what I have to do to stay upright and vertical. But tomorrow is another day...................Cheryl

• Woodylb
    Woodylb Member Posts: 935
    edited September 2015
    Options

Hello ladies,

I hope you are well , have anyone of you heard of Syrmom since August? She did not answe my PM since a while and i am worriedabout her.

• Naniam
    Naniam Member Posts: 586
    edited November 2015
    Options

Hi ladies, I am starting Havalen tomorrow after being on Xeloda for 39 months. Anyone been Havalen and has any suggestions. I have such a problem with the premeds - the steroids. They really do a number on my stomach -burning 24/7. That was a good thing about Faslodex, Abraxane, Xeloda, I didn't have to do pre-meds: no steroids.

Don't know what to expect from Havalen -haven't heard much about it. Thanks

• Xavo
    Xavo Member Posts: 244
    edited November 2015
    Options

Naniam, just realized that your inquiry into the information of Havalen treatment has remained unanswered on three threads. I am sorry that I myself have no knowledge of it. But I know that there is a thread especially on the treatment. Check out this topic: Havalen - day 1. Good luck with your treatment.

• Stage_IV_in_Montreal
    Stage_IV_in_Montreal Member Posts: 12
    edited November 2015
    Options

hello All - my onc now wants to put me navilbine. I only managed four months on Xeloda and got taken off because of toxic side effects. I even developed an incredibly rare subcutaneous lupus due to the Xeloda. I also got shingles two and a half weeks into treatment.

I looked to see if there is a page on navilbine but I don't seem to be able to find one, just random postings on a variety of other pages.

I would like to know what the worst side effects of Navilbine are. And what about hair loss? My oncologist told me I would not lose my hair nor would I have nausea. What experiences have people had on Navilbine?

Thanks, Stage IV in Montreal

• Woodylb
    edited November 2015
    Options

Stage V in Montreal,

I am sorry you are one of the rare people who got a reaction on Xeloda , but some other ladies on board got the same thing you go.

Nevalbine is very much like other chemos , like taxol or others. A lot of ladies tolerated it well the msin problem was low RBC and WBC dropping like with any ither chemo. Some were fatigued other not. But it worked well to a lot of people and i hope it will work well for you also. As for the hair no one knows really some will loose hair more than others and some meds just thins the hair.

I personally did not take it but some of my others sisters in BCO took it . I hope it will be gentle on you.

• leggo
    leggo Member Posts: 379
    edited November 2015
    Options

Hi Stage IV in Montreal. I have never had Xeloda so I can't compare it to Navelbine. I did however have nausea with the Navelbine. Usually my counts would tank around 6 days after, but always recovered quickly. I did lose my hair but there were a few ladies I spoke with who had only some thinning. I guess the hair loss varies. Good luck with the treatment.

• Texasrose53
    Texasrose53 Member Posts: 290
    edited November 2015
    Options

Was on Paclitaxol since May 22, 2015 until last week....now on Cyclophosphamide Methotrexate Fluorouracil (CMF). Will do infusion every 3 weeks. No SE's so far!

• Priyank123
    Priyank123 Member Posts: 6
    edited November 2015
    Options

Hi guys,

My mom has been recently diagnosed with LeptoMeningeal Metastases in the brain with communicating hydrocephalus. She had been diagnosed with breast cancer (ER+/PR+, HER2-) four and half years back. She had an NED status until September when this disease reoccurred at the worst possible place in her body. Surgery is not possible and her doctors think chemotherapy is a better option than WBRT(Radiation). She has floating cancer cells - no tumors. Her tumor markers (CA 15-3) were on border when the relapse of the disease was diagnosed. MRI scan and Lumbar puncture confirmed the presence of cancerous cells in the Leptomeninges. Symptoms like Veritgo/Migraine like headaches have been there since April this year. Body balancing issues have been there since one year. She also had cataract operation of both her eyes last year - dunno if the cataract had any connection with the disease?

She had been treated with Intrathecal Methotraxate (MTX) alone initially and later on Xeloda was added to her treatment. She has completed 12 doses of MTX and two cycles of Xeloda till now. Initially, MTX took a tool on her body. She had to be hospitalized after her first MTX dose because of seizure like instances and dehydration due frequent vomiting and loose motion. The seizure like events were very frightening for us to deal with. I had never seen my mom in such a state! Seizures and other side effects(vomiting and loose motion) of MTX were brought under control through medication. After her sixth dose of MTX, Xeloda (Two weeks On and One week Off) was added to her treatment. Xeloda has caused a lot of water retention in her body, minor hair loss, frequent urination, anxiety, sleepiness, few black patches on her skin and loads of cough. Other than that she hasn't had adverse side effects of Xeloda like the hand-foot syndrome till now. During her one week break she has recovered well and she feels good as well as she is good spirit. She has started her third cycle of Xeloda today- 1500 mg twice a day.

Recently she has started complaining of double vision. Also, she feels weak and tired after doing any activity. She also sometimes complains of feeling of emptiness in her head - as if nothing is there inside her brain and also complains of cramps which start from her brain and go down to her hand and spine. She also complains having trouble with concentration and focus. She is unable to meditate. She does her yoga exercises though. Other than that she has been doing fairly well. Her body balancing issues are gone, her Veritgo/Migraine like headaches have gone, vomiting has stopped completely...all the initial symptoms seem to have been brought under control. Overall she feels good and is in good spirits. Does this also mean that the disease is under control and it has not progressed?

We have done three more lumbar puncture tests or the CSF Cytology tests in the last two and half months, unfortunately the cancer cells are still there in her cerebrospinal fluid (CSF)Sad. Are there any tests through which we can do a comparative analysis of the effectiveness of the treatment given to her - like a before & after study??? Is there any way to find out the exact number of floating cancer cells in her cerebrospinal fluid (CSF). What kind of tests does your doctors ask you to do?

Is anyone getting medication to reduce the long term toxicity of Intrathecal Methotraxate (MTX) or Xeloda??

Is anyone using Cannabis to treat their brain mets? Is it effective?

Apologies for the long post:)

• Woodylb
    edited November 2015
    Options

Priyank123,

I am sorry your mom is going through all this and along you. I believe the meds took care of some of the aspects of cancer and lessened some problems but the fact that she still has cancer cells circulating in the body is still a big. I am not an expert nor can i replace your doctor's opinion. But i believe the blurred vision is most likely related to a pressure somewhere on the brain or some sensory sites.

The hand and foot syndrom will not strat right away it will most likely start to appear after the third cycle of xeloda. Still some people would not experience it .

I advise you to tell her doctor of any new symptom for he alone can help and assess. The fatigue can be related to treatments and not necessarely the cancer.

My prayers are with you and your mom hoping the doctors will find her the right combo to control her specific case.

• WarriorG
    WarriorG Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hello, I am officially a NEWBIE to this Group. Not quite sure how this works yet, so please be patient with me. I was diagnosed on 12/23/2015 with Stage IV Metastic breast cancer after 33 years of "cancer free". Now I know that there is no such thing. I had a fall about 2 weeks ago on my knee. Major swelling and bruising up and down the leg. Pretty much all pain and swelling is gone, but I feel certain I have bursitis in my knee. I'm afraid to mention this to my oncologist for fear he will stop my chemo drugs until it's cleared up. Anyone else experienced this and what did you have for treatment. Thanks much

• Woodylb
    edited March 2016
    Options

WorriorG,

I am sorry for you diagnosis after so many years of cancer free. But this is cancer and it is hypocrite and have no mercy unfortunately for us.

Do not worry on how it works here , you will learn along the way. But my advice to you is to tell your onc anything of importance that happens with you. It is the key to a good treatment and less problms. Doctors do not stop treatment on a whim, they will stop it only if you are in danger. So please keep him informed and tell him about your knee , keeping this from him and later getting major problems because of this will not help you in any way.

It helps if you fill in the information in the profile section so we can see your cancer history if you wish to share it.

Wishing you a good response on chemotherapy and less problems with your knee.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,035
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi Warrior, and welcome to Breastcancer.org. Although we hate that you are here, we're glad you've found us, and we hope you find this to be a super welcoming, informative and very supportive community.

Let us know if we can help with anything!

Best wishes,

The Mods

• Annekab
    Annekab Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2016
    Options

After trying hormonal treatment(ibrance) and then xeloda and having neither work,I'm going on taxol. I remember being on it five years ago with az. I know it's a lower dose this time around..... Can anyone tell me what it's like with stage IV? I'm doing three weeks on 1 week off. Also curious as to when your hair fell out. Thanks for any and all input. Btw, I just joined this site so I apologize if I'm doing it wrong. (Favorite quote from Mr. Mom. 😊)

• kt1966
    kt1966 Member Posts: 1,021
    edited April 2016
    Options

Hi Anne. I've been on taxol since June last year and find it pretty doable (worst part being fatigue & having to go in for chemo each week). I was on xeloda before that.

This is a link to the thread on taxol, you'll find lots of info on how others have found it there...

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/8/topics/...

I hope you find it ok too

kt

• Texasrose53
    Texasrose53 Member Posts: 290
    edited April 2016
    Options

Anne, I was on Taxol from May 2015 until November 2015. Lost my hair, eyelashes and eyebrows. But other than that no real SE's. Continued to work full time and travel....just scheduled everything around that week off. Good luck with it!

Julie