Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Calling all TNs

Comments

• LoveMyVizsla
    LoveMyVizsla Member Posts: 526
    edited October 2016

((CurlyQ))

• SA8PG
    SA8PG Member Posts: 280
    edited October 2016

Curly hugs, prayers & love are headed your way!!!!! Xox

• cassylou
    cassylou Member Posts: 40
    edited October 2016

I'm sending good vibes Al husband and wife, and Curly too. This is the month for good news all round x

• blamoms
    blamoms Member Posts: 86
    edited October 2016

Sending love to Mikes wife and Curly Q

• ALHusband
    ALHusband Member Posts: 342
    edited October 2016

Well...I am very relieved to report an ALL CLEAR PET Scan for my wife Kathy. Thank you ALL for the supportive thoughts, vibes and prayers. This one had us concerned. We don't yet know what the cause is of Kath's discomfort, but we're awfully blessed to know what it ISN'T!!!!! They are going to do an iron infusion as her iron is low. Doc says we'll rule out causes one at a time! All the glory to God!

• Cathytoo
    Cathytoo Member Posts: 394
    edited October 2016

ALHusband.......From one Cathy to another, i can't express adequately how happy I am to hear this wonderful news. Thank you so much for letting us know. Wishing the both of you peaceful and healthy days and years for a long long time

• Luvmydobies
    Luvmydobies Member Posts: 476
    edited October 2016

Mike I'm so happy to hear the good news! Praise God!!

• LifeAloft
    LifeAloft Member Posts: 69
    edited October 2016

CurlyQ, you are in my thoughts, definitely a roller coaster.

Mike, so happy to hear the good news

• anothernycgirl
    anothernycgirl Member Posts: 821
    edited October 2016

WONDERFUL news Mike!

Your turn now CurlyQ!!

Sending hugs to all!

• lookingforward66
    lookingforward66 Member Posts: 148
    edited October 2016

Congratulations Mike & wife. Great news.

CurlyQ now we wait for your good news. Praying for you.

Best of health to all!

Exit Hurricane Matthew!!!

Marsha

• SA8PG
    SA8PG Member Posts: 280
    edited October 2016

Mike so happy to hear this news on Kathy!!!! Raising my hands tonight. Praise God.

Waiting on your news Curly, prayers & love as well. :)

G

• Shopgal2
    Shopgal2 Member Posts: 594
    edited October 2016

mike glad your wife is ok. Curly sending prayers to you.

I saw my ro Tuesday for my 6mo post rad follow up. I asked about my rib pain which had turned into an intense stabbing and it hurt when I took a breath or coughed. The nurse practitioner working with my ro said it could be Costocondritis which is inflammation of the cartilage that joins the ribs to the breastbone which sometimes occurs in pts that had rads. My ro wanted an X-ray to rule out bone fractures and my nurse practitioner wanted a bone scan to rule out mets. That scared the crap outa me I went for the X-ray first and thankfully no fractures or sign of cancer. So they both said it def was costocondritis so no bone scan for me. What sucks is it's just gotta ease up with anti inflammatory meds and rest. But no cancer. After ending treatment this year and my mom passing in aug I just need a break. What really freaked me is that I am taking a big trip to Europe in 2 weeks to Ireland and England that I planned with my family in feb when I was still in rads. It is going to be my I beat cancer trip. I've never been overseas and was looking forward to getting my first stamp in my passport. So thankful that I can go now.

Cathy my mo is really laid back also with aftercare. I felt lost at my 3 mo checkup and at my 6 mo I got a little more feedback from him because I had just had my mamo which found new calcifications and fibrosis. But he didn't draw bloods at 6 mo. When I saw my ro this week she was puzzled that I haven't had tumor markers drawn this year after chemo.and wrote me a script for bloods for when I get back from my trip. I guess some docs are more laid back and don't order a lot of tests. I admit when the word bone scan was mentioned by my ro I freaked big time.

• Batesburg
    Batesburg Member Posts: 114
    edited October 2016

So pleased to hear good news, Mike, about your wife. Huge blessings to you both this weekend and beyond!

Shopgal- I still have some rib pain along my left side- doesn't hurt when I cough or take a deep breath but hurts when I stretch and sometimes when I lay on that side. It has gotten much better over these past few weeks but frankly I can tell it is going to take some time. I had 30 rounds of radiation, double mastectomy and ALDN due to two positive lymph nodes- so, I am not surprised that I have such major tightness and some pain along that side. I have read that radiation and mastectomy (and even lumpectomy) can put you at increased risk for costochondritis.

Anyone else here had experience with "benign" rib pain? I understand it is very common.

So glad Shopgal, that yours came out to nothing. Keep on those anti-inflammatories and applying heat has really helped me as well.

Janet

• MomMom
    MomMom Member Posts: 334
    edited October 2016

Hello you wonderful supportive ladies & gentlemen. Al - so very happy for you & your lovely wife (she's gotta be-:).

I haven't posted in ages, trying to wean myself off. But had to respond to your question Batesburg. Yes! Rib pain is fairly common for those who have had rads. I had a bone scan in May - ordered by my BS - just to be sure not mets. As you can see from my signature, I finished rads two years ago. I started having some lower rib pain on my bc side when I moved or stretched in a certain way. It was very intermittent. I also noticed that lower rib area was somewhat fuller looking than the other side (I'm 5 2 1/2" & 115 lbs. so you can see differences very easily). Told that this intermittent lower rib pain & slightly fuller appearance is fairly common in those who've had rads. Still talk to your doctor about it and go with whatever s/he says to do.

I've had several scares - benign breast biopsy - bone scan mentioned above - 2 skin biopsies for red spot that appeared within the radiated field out of nowhere & last week an MRI on lower spine. That turned out to be inflammation between lower 2 vertabrae, a benign cyst & osteoarthritis. Thankful for regular old age stuff!! None of it kept me down - still exercising daily & loving life.

• breastcancerhusband
    breastcancerhusband Member Posts: 69
    edited October 2016

Hi All

Been a long time since my last post!

Just a quick recap for anyone, my wife was diagnosed with TNBC in Oct 2014 while 15 weeks pregnant. She has surgery right away, then chemo (FEC and three round of Taxol) stopped chemo to give birth and then straight back on to Taxol. She is now two since since diagnosis, and touch wood so far so good. Our baby boy, is now 18months old and is a picture of health. Lively, totally mental and into everything, and completely gorgeous - but i wouldn't have it any other way.

My wife is due to have her other breast removed in December and the reconstruction. A double MX could not be done at the time since she was pregnant and the risk of blood loss could have affected the baby.

I've not had the time to post I guess because life has moved on. The kids take over and of course work takes over! I've been shifting my medical research attention to breast cancer, of course TNBC in particular.

We do get scared of it coming back. Every ache or cough causes some concern. My wife had a cough earlier during the year and I can honestly say I have never been so happy to catch a cough! Although I was rather upset when she kicked me out of bed for coughing too much!

But like I said my darling wife is two years out and so far so good.

Anyway, I hope all of you are as well as can be. For those going through this right now, all i can say is there is light at the end of the tunnel and life does move on. It certainly changes, but does move on. And remember don't believe the rubbish online. Most women survive TNBC!

If any of the other husbands, boyfriends, partners etc want to get in touch plase feel free to do so.

Love to you of all - each and everyone of you are so brave. And I will never forget some of the extremely kind words that helped to stop me falling apart when my wife was diagnosed.

Tom

xxxxx

• breastcancerhusband
    breastcancerhusband Member Posts: 69
    edited October 2016

Mike

Just read the message about your wife. I was about to say I will go down now to the chapel at work and say a prayer for you both. Then read down and saw she is okay.

I'll still go and say a prayer for you both anyway!

Great that all is fine!

Big transatlantic man-hug!

• meadow
    meadow Member Posts: 998
    edited October 2016

BC husband, so glad you popped in to say hello and update us on the family. Your words made me smile, on my face and in my heart! I was thinking about you and your family the other day, and wondering how things were for you all. Thank you for focusing your research on TNBC. Research saves lives! Hugs to you and the family from your "family" across the pond!

• Cathytoo
    edited October 2016

breastcancerhusband...Thanks so much, Tom, for checking in and your kind words. So happy all is well with your family.

• Curlyq1974
    Curlyq1974 Member Posts: 87
    edited October 2016

Just when I think the ride has come to the end... oh no, here comes a cork screw!! So, the pathology is back, it didn't show anything, but it stated that the sample was inadequate to rule out cancer. The radiologist had a very, very hard time penetrating the mass and getting a good sample. Each time she was like, oh that wasn't very good. I asked her to do a 4th try to attempt to get a good sample. Grrr.... on the bright side... the cells she did remove did not show any cancer.... so frustrating. I told the doctor, I just want it out... take it out. She was worried about another scar... ahahahahahahahahaha - that is funny to me! Scar, hell, I'll take a thousand scars to be cancer free!!! And now I have to wait another week to get seen, get a history and physical so we can schedule surgery.... Blah!!!

• BanR
    BanR Member Posts: 238
    edited October 2016

Happy to hear the news Alhusband ( Mike)!! relieved to hear Curly's news too...we will take it as benign for now!

Tiffany, glad to hear from u! Fighter posted in another group a few days ago.. happy to see her too!!

my Mri showed a 1cm mass and a biospy mammo and ultrasound scheduled for this friday... keeping my fingers crossed.

every time i try to forget the disease and move ahead, something or the other happens which brings me back to square one!! Its become an annual thing now!

• simplelife4real
    simplelife4real Member Posts: 341
    edited October 2016

BanR and Curlyq, I'm sorry that both of you are having to deal with lumps. I hope they both turn out to be benign. Please keep us posted. Wishing you both the best.

• meadow
    edited October 2016

Curly, I cracked a smirky smile too when I read the comment about another scar....golly!

BanR, in your pocket for the test and results.

• Cathytoo
    edited October 2016

I really don't want to post anything negative, but I'm curious. This Friday will be my first cancerversary. With the change in weather I'm feeling some aches and pains. Normally, I would think nothing of this. But, in the back of my mind, my thoughts go to bone mets. Is this thinking part of our new normal...and if so....when does it ever stop?

• Batesburg
    Batesburg Member Posts: 114
    edited October 2016

Hi Cathytoo

I seem to have many more aches and pains since finishing treatment. It is difficult to not focus on anything new. A good way I try to get through it is to relax when I feel them and let them "carry on" through my body trusting they are just part of my new normal. I wasn't so successful a few weeks ago and what initially started out as a simple side muscle pull that has since subsided, I now have extreme tightness and pain in my scapula that I think is a result of guarding/fear/tensing my side so much and not being able to think of anything else!!!

Remember the "truths" in your health, that you got superb treatment and that you are on your way to total healing (that can take up to an additional year!)

Janet

• TifJ
    TifJ Member Posts: 804
    edited October 2016

Cathytoo, the fear does subside some with time. I remember feeling the same way, terrified of every ache and pain, for about 3 years. I had a couple of bone scans and numerous x-rays during my first 2 years after because I was positive I had bone mets! Now at 6 years after I begin to think of other things first. Did I pull a muscle, am I getting a cold? I have lots of aches and pains, but I am also 51 years old and don't exercise like I should, so that's to be expected. I do self exam my one remaining breast probably a little too often! My husband tells me sometimes to quit molesting myself! Yes, the fear is still there, but not in the forefront of my mind. It does get better.

Tiffany

Good to see you BanR- hope your tests are completely benign!

Hi Meadow!

• Dizzy222
    Dizzy222 Member Posts: 16
    edited October 2016

Hey I don't pop in here nearly as much as I should. But, I am here to tell you I just reached 5 years NED. It's been a journey. Fear, more fear and if you can believe it even more fear than that!! But, it gets better all the time. I get better all the time. 5 years out and I don't even resemble the person I once was. I am for the most part loving who I've become. Glad I'm alive to see it. Hang in there.

• Cathytoo
    edited October 2016

Dizzy222....so glad you popped in to give us your good news. Keep going strong.

• vlh
    vlh Member Posts: 773
    edited October 2016

Thank you for the encouragement, Dizzy222. I had my first AC treatment Tuesday and the only patient I met was a lovely young mother who'd been diagnosed with high grade, Stage I TNBC, which metastasized to her lung, liver and brain after 3 years. My heart broke for her, even as her battle forced me to face my own fears. It's good to hear wonderful news to balance the sad.

Lyn

• meadow
    edited October 2016

Cathy, Congratulations on the one year Cancerversary! SO very happy for you. Can you believe it has been a year? So happy!

Dizzy, Congrats on the big 5 years! Truly a milestone. Hugs to you!

• meadow
    edited October 2016

"Waving"!!!SmileTiffany, and all of you!