Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Calling all TNs

Comments

• jrominger
    jrominger Member Posts: 342
    edited August 2019

Bless you Scotbird for coming back and providing this wonderful news!! Your just what the doctor ordered today!!!! Blessings to you and it will NOT return!!

• jrominger
    edited August 2019

You too lookingfowsrd66. Thank you!

Your photo is fabulous!!

• notdefined
    notdefined Member Posts: 267
    edited August 2019

Thank you to all the postings here about the good prognosis. It really is great to hear these stories!

• notdefined
    edited August 2019

I just talked to the surgeon, and he said I had 3 lymph nodes tested which all came back negative for cancer. He also said I had a pCR, so chemo did its job properly! I'm so happy!!! I can breath a little bit more each time I reach a milestone, but being triple negative I know I will need to change some things about my lifestyle and habits. I am committed to getting back into shape and doing whatever I can to reduce risk of recurrence.

• jrominger
    edited August 2019

notdefined. We are so pleased for you!!! pCR and clean nodes sounds like a fantastic future!!! Life style changes will be easy after all you’ve been through!!! God bless and congratulations.

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,311
    edited August 2019

wonderful, notdefined!!!

• HappyAnyway
    HappyAnyway Member Posts: 380
    edited August 2019

High five, notdefined!

• kber
    kber Member Posts: 243
    edited August 2019

awesome Notdefined! Such wonderful news

• snaffle53
    snaffle53 Member Posts: 107
    edited August 2019

Just starting my journey with TNBC after official diagnosis today. No tumor found in my breast. So, it was just chance I discovered this. Chemo education this Tuesday. Port placed Wednesday morning with first chemo that afternoon. 4 rounds of AC every other week. Then 12 rounds of Taxol once every week.

Four weeks rest before surgery (yet to be determined how aggressive). Then 4 to 6 weeks of radiation.

I have breast cancer on both sides of my family. As well as my father and his brother with prostate cancer. I will have genetic testing next week.

I want to have a BMX to reduce chance of recurrence to as low as possible. Time will tell. This all doesn’t feel real yet. I’m sure that will change soon.

So grateful that there are many who have traveled this road before me. This site and people here are a blessing

• jrominger
    edited August 2019

snaffle53. We are right here with you. My wife has done the 4 AC and 5 of the 12 Taxols. Surgery 3 to 4 weeks after. Then maybe radiation depending on pathology!! She has the BRCA2 gene mutation so she will do DMX and once all healed will have ovaries and Fallopian tubes removed. She is and was totally healthy so big change of events for us. So many many helpful folks on these pages!!! God bless and you will conquer this!!!

• snaffle53
    edited August 2019

Thanks so much. It really helps to know so much support is here

• Katiekins
    Katiekins Member Posts: 32
    edited August 2019

Notdefined, congratulations how wonderful! After the past several months of treatment, so happy for you. Hoping and praying the rest of us have such an awesome outcome!

• cc4npg
    cc4npg Member Posts: 438
    edited August 2019

HoneyChick... the only thing that worked for me was prayer... and time... and surrounding myself with other people who kept me busy. Vitamins also help and eating good because at least you're taking control of "something" and these things will help curb the dark places because your brain will be getting the nutrients, vitamins, sleep, etc that it needs in order not to "go to that ledge". I still become paranoid when something hurts, especially if it's a lymph node under my arm! Do your best to LIVE each day... do something fun... take walks. The black cloud continues to follow us, but try to find the rainbow instead of the black cloud. If reading things frightens you, then STOP reading. Each person is different. I also see a counselor every couple weeks and have found that helps. Sometimes we just need to get things off our chest... to cry without someone cringing or wondering how to help us or trying to find the words that will make us stop. Counselors are wonderful for this!

• vlh
    vlh Member Posts: 773
    edited August 2019

Snaffle53, I'm sorry to read of your recent diagnosis, but am glad that you have a treatment plan in place. You mentioned no tumor in your breast. If you're comfortable sharing, how did you get diagnosed (lump in the chest wall, mass noted in lymph nodes during physical exam or mammogram, etc.)?

in general, most studies suggest that your survival odds are the same with a lumpectomy and radiation or mastectomy, but with your family history, I can understand why you're leaning toward the latter. With doing chemo first, you have time to do your research and perhaps interview a couple of surgeons to guide you in weighing the risks and benefits. If you haven't already done so, you may want to join the forum for those starting chemo.

Lyn

• santabarbarian
    edited August 2019

snaffle my understanding is survival with MX or with LX+ rads are basically identical. Make sure before you use this as a basis for decision. Its wise too to have a second opinion at this juncture if there is any doubt about the best approach. We are a scrappy bunch of TNBC warriors who will support you!

• snaffle53
    edited August 2019

VLH, I’m extremely lucky to have found the cancerous lymph node because I have no symptoms.

Long story. My sister had a heart attack last January. She got a stent but needed double bypass surgery as well. The cardiac hospital in Oklahoma where she had surgery was absolutely top notch. They offered a CT heart scan to check your cardiac risk for only $50. So I had the scan.

The scan showed my heart was great but in the lung tissue included in the film they could see tiny nodules in my lungs. They recommended I see a Pulmonologist. So, when I came home to NH, I set up an appointment. Meanwhile, my PCP also got the scan results and said Pulmonary consult unnecessary as nodules this small are usually nothing. I went ahead to see a Pulmonologist anyway.

He ordered a baseline CT of my lungs even though he too thought nodules of this size to be nothing. It was in that CT of my lungs that an enlarged lymph node was seen. Biopsy was recommended.

The rest is history. Without that heart scan I still would not know I have breast cancer. My late August annual mammogram would have been normal. So I suspect I would have eventually been diagnosed when the cancer metastized to some major organ.

So I am very lucky indeed

• vlh
    vlh Member Posts: 773
    edited August 2019

Snaffle53, thank you for sharing your story. Yes, you're fortunate indeed that you identified a problem despite a rather atypical presentation. Your GP was correct, but it's good that you persevered. My baseline CT revealed a couple of lung nodules, but they hadn't grown six months later so they were apparently the scenario like your GP described. I hope that all goes smoothly with your treatment.

Lyn

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited August 2019

thanks to Angelfaith, Scotbird, cc4npg, Lookingward (& anyone else i accidentally missed) for checking in & congrats on your NED!

HockeyChick - I'm sorry you're feeling the fear gripping you tight. I ditto seeing a counsellor just to get it off your chest. I think part of the problem is that we carry this unspeakable fear, nobody in our families or friends wants to hear it, or we don't want to tell them (because they'll either dismiss it or will affirm it - either one is not helpful). Trained counsellors know how to hear this fear and let us explore it in a safe space. It might make you feel better to get it out there and talk it through and get some ideas about how to control your thoughts when you need to move the fear to the side for a bit while you do other things.

My other technique has been keeping very busy. This is the time to throw yourself into a passion project, volunteer for something, a political campaign, a social issue, a craft, whatever. I entered a full time bachelor of nursing program (3 years continuous) while I was still in rads last September. Just a few weeks ago, a year after finishing chemo, I finished 1st year of nursing school (with straight As! Take that, chemo brain! lol)

I'm not by nature an optimist & my family has long running jokes about my ability to identify to potential ways things will go wrong in any situation, but I actually don't spend much time thinking about the future (& I spend hardly any time thinking about the past). I'm doing this thing now and that's what matters. Just find something to engage you right now and focus on it and let the future and past take care of themselves.

hang in there - it gets better Hug

• LoveMyVizsla
    LoveMyVizsla Member Posts: 526
    edited August 2019

Hello, my name is LoveMyVizsla, and I have scanxiety. LOL. Tomorrow is my annual MRI and last 6 month mammogram and check up. After that I’m back to yearly. I’m not seeing my MO, but one of her staff instead. Wish me luck.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited August 2019

LoveMyVizsla, as the saying on this board goes - we're in your pocket! Heart

• santabarbarian
    edited August 2019

I hope you hit it out of the park -- and I am in your pocket too!

• jrominger
    edited August 2019

lovemyvizsla. Praying for you now!! We are in your pocket!!

• mightlybird01
    mightlybird01 Member Posts: 161
    edited August 2019

16 horse's hooves, 4 dog pays, 18 chicken legs and two huma fingers crossed for you and good scan results!

• notdefined
    edited August 2019

LoveMyVizsla-sending positive vibes your way.

• piperkay
    piperkay Member Posts: 132
    edited August 2019

LoveMyVizsla, from my lovely beach vacation in Huntington Beach, CA, I am in your pocket sending you thoughts of sunshine, salty air, and crashing waves!!

• trishyla
    trishyla Member Posts: 698
    edited August 2019

Another one reporting for pocket duty, LovMyVizla. Sending good vibes for the best possible results.

Trish

• urdrago71
    urdrago71 Member Posts: 500
    edited August 2019
  • santabarbarian
    edited August 2019

urdrago there seem to be several US trials with this drug too.

• santabarbarian
    edited August 2019

urdrago is everything ok with you?