Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Calling all TNs

Comments

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited September 2019

I posted the article about the 7 min of intense exercise on this board a while back. I think it's in several threads but always good to bump it up as it has intriguing implications for possible metastatic prevention

https://www.fasebj.org/doi/abs/10.1096/fasebj.2018.32.1_supplement.644.10

Take away from this one is to do resistance training which raises the heart rate to 120 for 7 minutes minimum. That's the time required for almost all the blood volume to circulate through the exercising muscle. The exercising muscle (including the heart) undergoes physical changes which makes it likely that any circulating tumor cells would be burst by the pressures in the muscle.

• sylviaexmouthuk
    sylviaexmouthuk Member Posts: 7,940
    edited September 2019

Hello InspiredbyDolce,

It was a nice surprise to see you on the TNs. Thank you so much for your kind words.

I do remember the quality posts that you used to post. You always had something interesting to say.

I do hope you are well and please pop by and say hello when you can. It is so important for the newly diagnosed to hear from long time survivors.

Sincere best wishes.

Sylvia xxxx

• jrominger
    jrominger Member Posts: 342
    edited September 2019

Sylviaexmouthuk, Inspiredbydolce, Santabarbaria, Moth, Thank you for all the positive feedback and information. You do inspire all of us going through the treatments for TNBC now. My wife will do #9 of her 12 Taxol's tomorrow so we are nearing the chemo finish line. My wife is big work out person and has done around 4 miles of walking most every day during chemo. Minus her setback early on. We will definitely add in the 7 min 120 heart rate regimen into our workouts post treatment. THANK YOU for coming back and encouraging all of us. It is amazingly kind of you.

Jay

• vl22
    vl22 Member Posts: 471
    edited September 2019

I just saw that Suzanne Whang died from breast cancer. 56 years old. She was diagnosed in the fall of 2006 - I always wondered why she was no longer hosting House Hunters.

No idea what “type” of breast cancer. Does anyone else feel the need to obsessively google when you read that someone had died from breast cancer? Is it morbid that I want all the details?

Hope everyone is doing great and planning to enjoy life this weekend

• piperkay
    piperkay Member Posts: 132
    edited September 2019

I just saw that report as well. And yes, I also Google every case of breast cancer death I come across. When I hear of a woman's passing from cancer, I assume it's breast cancer. Like Cokie Roberts yesterday. Morbid? I don't think so because that word means having an abnormal or unhealthy interest in death or disease. It is certainly not abnormal for us here on this site to be interested in breast cancer or related deaths. If we take it to an unhealthy level, then that's another story.

Definitely intend to enjoy life this weekend as we plan for our trip to Italy in 10 days that was postponed from March due to being in the midst of chemo. Smile

• vl22
    edited September 2019

Italy - lucky girl! Have a wonderful time

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    edited September 2019

I had IDC and my screening mammogram and diagnostic showed microcalcifications but did not show the tumor. The US did, and I had biopsy with US. I have dense breasts and TN.

What is standard of care for imaging with dense breasts, history of cancer, and TN? Just mammograms? That and US? That and MRI? What should I expect?

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited September 2019

Mountain Mia, I have discussed this with my MO. I had a 'clean' mammo & literally few months later I could feel a palpable lump, so I think the suspicion is that mine was missed on mammo. And yes, I have dense breasts too.

For this year (which is year 1 after treatment) we've settled on diagnostic mammogram then 6 months later an MRI with contrast. I lean towards keeping that as an alternating sched every 6 months and maybe once in a while adding an ultrasound to the mammo. I'm considering tomosynthesis as well - maybe swap out one of the mammos. My GP will see me a min of every 6 months and do a breast exam plus full exam of all lymph nodes and palpate abdomen etc.

I don't think there's one good answer. I'll be interested to hear what others are doing.

Oh & just wanted to add, it's not just recurrence that we need to worry about. We're at much higher risk of another primary. According to the BC Cancer Agency "The average 50 year old woman who has had breast cancer once carries approximately a 10-15% risk of a second contralateral breast cancer (invasive or DCIS) over the next 25 years."

• mountainmia
    edited September 2019

Thanks, moth. I had to look up "tomosynthesis." It's 3D mammogram, which I'm pretty sure is what my facility has been using for a few years. Here is a link that says more about it.

https://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=tomosynthesis

Yes on the new primaries risk. Great, huh?

Edited to add: I've looked this up and it turns out that University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics was "First hospital in the U.S. to perform digital breast tomosynthesis imaging, which allows physicians to "page through" the interior of the breast without the superimposition of the other tissues."

• lrm216
    lrm216 Member Posts: 534
    edited September 2019

While I haven't been on the site in quite some time, I just wanted to drop in and send my very best wishes and gentle hugs to all newbies and to all the "old timers" that I shared my deepest fears and thoughts with on a daily basis for many years through my diagnosis, treatments and for several years afterward. I am now 10 years and seven months out from the beginning of my "nightmare" and am so very thankful for the time I have been blessed with. I wish and pray the same for each of you. God bless - to all.

Fondly,

Linda

• jrominger
    edited September 2019

LRM216. Bless you for your coming back and spurring us on!! Thank you for your encouragement. It’s awesome and May God continue to bless you and yours.

• sylviaexmouthuk
    edited September 2019

Hello Linda,

I was updating myself on the TNs when I saw your photograph and recognised you immediately. It is so good to hear from people that I remember from way back. Congratulations on your 10 years and 7 months since diagnosis. I am now 14 years and 3 months since diagnosis.

InspiredbyDolce posted here recently and she is another of the long time survivors. Quite recently, as well, Sugar from Canada also posted, she is another long time survivor.

For me, it brings back memories of when TNs was in it early days having been started by Titan.

I am still doing the thread I created 9 years ago, inspired by Titan.

Love.

Sylvia xxxx

• Gamb
    Gamb Member Posts: 570
    edited September 2019

Thank all you ladies for given us Tn a hopefully outlook, may God continue tonbkess you all and all of us yet to come

• urdrago71
    urdrago71 Member Posts: 500
    edited September 2019

Thank you for stopping by and letting us know your doing well. We need more survivor stories!

• LoveMyVizsla
    LoveMyVizsla Member Posts: 526
    edited September 2019

Ran across this article on FB today:

https://www.curetoday.com/publications/cure/2019/immunotherapy-2019/breast-cancer-gets-a-boost-from-immunotherapy

Mountain Mia, I have dense breasts too. My tumor couldn't be seen on mammo. So I just finished my last six month imaging and that schedule was every six months a mammogram on the affected side, and every a mammogram and an MRI on both sides. Now that I’m back to yearly imaging, it will be the annual mammogram + MRI. I have the paper they give out at my center, I will take photos and attach for you.

• LoveMyVizsla
    LoveMyVizsla Member Posts: 526
    edited September 2019

• vl22
    edited September 2019

According to my breast surgeon, most women have dense breasts. Mine are also category C. My tumors were found during mammogram, but they followed up with US. I also got an MRI, which did nothing but delay my surgery by a few weeks and made me go mental, because it showed a few false positives.

I’m on the mammo and Dr visit every six months rotation. No US or MRI or anything else. I’m ok with this. I try to concentrate on what is within my control - eating right, exercising etc. I even stopped drinking alcohol. Knowing that I’m at a greater risk for another primary really pisses me off, so I don’t think about that 😃.

• so_chickadee
    so_chickadee Member Posts: 6
    edited October 2019

Hi everyone. I was diagnosed at 43. Never felt a lump. It was found by a screening breast MRI, since I am BRCA positive. Biopsy confirmed IDC. After mastectomy they found another tumor wich was DCIS. Chemo is coming next week consisting of taxotere and cytoxan x 4 cycles. My family history includes breast and brain cancer - mom, breast and uterine - granny and ovarian, colon in granny's sisters. Hopefully the chemo kills all stray cancer cells in my body. 

• sylviaexmouthuk
    edited October 2019

Hello Chickadee,

I have just read your post and just wanted to send you best wishes and support as you start your chemotherapy.

I do hope everything will go smoothly with you. Just take one day at a time and tell yourself you are going to be fine.

You can get through this. I am now over 14 years out since diagnosis.

Thinking of you.

Sylvia xxxx

• Gamb
    edited October 2019

bless you Sylvia for keep coming back and giving hope to those of us who are triple negative, you are truly and inspiration, thank you

• jrominger
    edited October 2019

Sylvia I’m with Gamb, you are an inspiration. We are just done with chemo. DMX 11/5. Pathology will dictate rads. Hoping and praying there is no need for rads! Thank you for staying with us.

Chickadee, we are right with . My Natalie is BRCA2 positive. Her father passed away yesterday due to complications with pancreatic cancer. We finished 4 AC and 12 Taxols last week. We also be doing ovaries/fallopian tubes 2 months after breast stuff is done. Nat has a great attitude and hiked almost every day during chemo. Broken hearted over her dad but even more determined. God bless you and we’ll keep you in our prayers.

J

• Gamb
    edited October 2019

God bless you and keep you and your wife jrominger, the true fighting spirit of love.

• jrominger
    edited October 2019

Gamb. God bless you too!! Natalie and I have been best friends since teenagers. Going to keep this ball rolling by God’s Grace!! I’m with you, I love hearing TNBC survivor stories!! I know of so many. Even right here in my little town!! Let’s make it our story as well. We’ll chat together 10 then 20 yrs from now!! Praying for you!!!

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,311
    edited October 2019

jrominger please give Nat have my condolences about her dad!

• jrominger
    edited October 2019

you rock santabarbarian!! I will definitely let her know! Thank you. It was quite a shock. He was doing so well. Now we just need to heal and get ready for DMX!!

• mightlybird01
    mightlybird01 Member Posts: 161
    edited October 2019

I am so sorry for Nat to have lost her father. This must be a shock, on top of everything else going on. Bless him, that he waited to know she was safe on the other side of chemo.

• mountainmia
    edited October 2019

Hi all. I'm wondering about follow-up care for TNBC early-stage, BRCA/gene-negative. While I went through treatment (lumpectomy, chemo, rads) I asked a number of times about what kind of appointment schedule I would have after done and who would order mammograms, etc. Didn't really get a clear answer on that. At my MO follow-up appt, I asked him how often I would see him. He told me that depended on what I wanted and I didn't have to see him at all if I don't have any issues. (He is a minimalist in general, so that answer didn't surprise me.) So we agreed on that. Soon I have first post-treatment follow-up with BS and RO. SOMEONE needs to be in charge, and I still don't know who it is or what kind of plan there will be.

Did you get a written survivorship care plan? Or did you get a clear understanding of it from your docs? Which of your docs is in charge of what? How often are you seeing them and for how long? Thanks for any insight.

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,311
    edited October 2019

I see my MO or his PA 4 x a year. I see my BS once or twice per year. I get labs each time and an annual mammo. That's it. If I want I can get n MRI but it is up to me and my level of worry. I think I will get one so it is a 6 month stagger from my mammo. Luckily I feel very good so I am not worried but I do think it makes sense to have a peek every 6 months.

• farfalla6
    farfalla6 Member Posts: 92
    edited October 2019

hi

I am two months post last rads ( after lumpectomy and chemo) and I have appt in December with breast surgeon for exam and mammogram/Sono; I was told that based on that I would be placed on a 6 month or yearly diagnostic ( mammogram or mri or sono) schedule. All they said apart from that is “ live your life but let us know if you have a pain or symptom that lasts for more than two weeks". Which is terrifying. Like they're saying, live your life but remember you could get Mets any time...

I am exercising a ton, diet is better but not perfect, and I am already quite thin. So...who knows.

• Joy777
    Joy777 Member Posts: 12
    edited October 2019

Hi! Have you ever heard of hand wrist bone mets? I have a weird pain in my wrist, for no reason, I didn’t hit myself or something. Is it possible to be something bad or it’s just a pain?

Thanks.