Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Calling all TNs

Comments

• cc4npg
    cc4npg Member Posts: 438
    edited January 2011

beetle25:  Wow... so sorry to hear you had such a rough time!  But it does help to know I'm not the only one with persistent fevers, dehydration, and tachycardia.  Let's hope you had all the bad stuff all at once, and will never hear from cancer again!  Did you have a complete pathological response??

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited January 2011

We have blackeyed peas and cabbage for good luck on New Years day.  

Wishing everyone a great 2011!!

• sugar77
    sugar77 Member Posts: 1,328
    edited January 2011

Happy New Year ladies!

While nobody has ever told me not to go on these boards, I often wondered if my family was thinking it. However, for Christmas my husband surprised me with personalized plates for my car. LOL...the plate "Sugar77". I had to laugh because I only mentioned my screen name in passing a few times.  I told him I created this name as a tribute to my late father (lifelong nickname Sugar who died at 77 years of age in 2007). So when I drive with my new plates I bring a little bit of my dad with me as well as the wonderful support and friendships made here. I'm visiting New Orleans from Canada right now and had the pleasure of meeting up with Jenn3 yesterday.  

We don't have any traditions like sauerkraut or blackeye peas for new years but I'm game for anything that brings good luck.  Maybe I'll dig out my cookbook and make some of this when I get home.

May this new years bring us all health and happiness! 

• Titan
    Titan Member Posts: 1,313
    edited January 2011

Sugar...are you going to the Ohio State football game on Tuesday?  I have a couple of family members in New Orleans right now!

• sugar77
    sugar77 Member Posts: 1,328
    edited January 2011

Titan - no we're flying home to Toronto tomorrow :(  Our hotel is right near the Superdome so there are a lot of folks staying here for the Sugar Bowl.  I was just in the elevator with a couple with Ohio jackets on. There's also a Saints game tomorrow so this hotel is very busy. My daughter is wearing a really cool string of Saints mardi gras beads that Jenn3 gave to her. Oh was a nice trip this has been.

• Suze35
    Suze35 Member Posts: 559
    edited January 2011

I just wanted to wish everyone a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

I have found this board to be both invaluable, and very hard for me, so I come when I am feeling good, and lay low when I'm down.  It is because of this board that I knew to ask my doctor about adding Carboplatin to my chemo.  This board has also given me so much inspiration - when I'm really feeling down, I read the survival threads.  Just seeing people with similar stats as mine living 3+ years out gives me so much hope.

I also find it hard sometimes to be with my kids and not cry - I just watch them and want to curl up with them in a little ball and keep the world away.  On my bad days, I hope for at least 5 years, so that my youngest will be 8 and have real memories of me.  On my good days, I hope for 20 so that I can see them as adults.  This disease sucks beyond reason, but I am trying every day to live in the moment and not worry about the future.  Who knows what is around the corner?

My New Year's wish for all of us is that we live the rest of our lives with the love of our families and friends.  And that those lives are long and filled with happiness.  Peace to all.

• HeidiToo
    HeidiToo Member Posts: 965
    edited February 2011
  • moe0279
    moe0279 Member Posts: 100
    edited January 2011

Hi ladies, haven't checked in, in a while...I hope everyone has had a wonderful beginning to the new year... Has anyone taken glutamine, i have a script for it but its really expensive...is it a must?  Ive just started taxol and they said it would decrease and possibly prevent the tingling in fingers and toes..(don't remember the actual name for it)..insurance doesn't cover it, any suggestions on where to order it?  

I just have to say i feel so at ease discussing everything you ladies..its so nice to be able to come here anytime and ask ANY questions...so i want to say an extra big THANKS!

• lrm216
    lrm216 Member Posts: 534
    edited January 2011

Titan - glad you enjoyed.  I did too, just remembering it!.. Gonna back it myself this week - it's been a long time, and you flooded me with all yummy memories.  We have a wedding coming up?  How wonderful is that?  Congratulations to you, Mom.  Keep us posted on all the doings! 

I had hotdogs and strawberry ice cream today.  Does that bring any luck or money????  What if they were wrapped in crescent rolls - does that count more????

Linda

• lrm216
    edited January 2011

On a very sad and somber note, I must add that Diane Counts - "Angelsabove" lost her heroic battle.  Her husband Craig updated her carepage tonight with this very sad news.  She was also posting on TNBCfoundation.org as "Diane1234."  It's so hard to believe that in mid December, she was told she was NED after agressive treatment at CTCA and was overjoyed, as we can all well imagine - and then days after that began fighting it all over again.  I am really having a very hard time with this one, as my last correspondence to her on the other board was December 12th.  I find this so totally unbelievable that this could happen so fast.  My sincerest sympathies are with her husband Craig and her three children.  To paraphrase Heidi's signature - I too hate this f*cking disease.  This is just too sad and hard to comprehend.

edited to add:  http://www.carepages.com/carepages/diva21/updates/2890677

• Swanny
    Swanny Member Posts: 118
    edited January 2011

I am so sorry to hear about Diane.  My best wishes go out to her family.

Mittymuffin:  Congrats on finishing rads.  Hooray!

Happy New Year to everyone.

• cc4npg
    edited January 2011

I'm so sorry to hear of Diane's passing.  I didn't know her, but read up a little on past posts.  I was devastated to read how things had been looking really good and then this.  Will keep family in my prayers....

• kelben
    kelben Member Posts: 199
    edited January 2011

I am very sorry to hear about Diane's passing.  I did not know Diane, but thoughts of her and her family are with me today.

• HeidiToo
    edited February 2011
    LRM216- it sure makes me rethink how much stock/assurance one should put into a NED finding, doesn't it? I mean, WTF--- NED and a three weeks later DEAD? WTF! YellSurprised
  • kelben
    kelben Member Posts: 199
    edited January 2011

I agree Heidi, that is just wrong.... somebody screwed up somewhere.  I am scared, really afraid.

• lrm216
    edited January 2011

Kelben:

I know, news of Diane's death was really scarey - it shook my boots deeply as I had been one of many posting to her and getting great responses just two freaking weeks ago.  She was elated when CTCA deemed her to be NED.  Then within days of my last posting which was the 13th of Dec - her husband started posting on her carepages that things were not going well - and it just snowballed so fast!!!  I cannot comprehend it either, but we just have to remind ourselves that this was a really freaky thing and not the usual.  On her carepages she wrote that her floating tumor count was 48!!!  How the hell can you be shown by all scans to have no residual disease left after your agressive second set of treatments and then have a floating CTC (this is not tumor marker testing, but another specific test for metatastic cancer) of 48 - from a supposedly 0!!!  Something is not right with all of this.  Nonetheless, she is gone and 3 children and a devoted husband are left to soldier on alone.  So freaking sad.

I mentally need to look at this one as just some accident somewhere along the line as I have not read of any other loss as fast and unexpected as this one was in the two years I have been on this board and the TNBC board. 

Heidi - I so agree with you.  This one just makes no effing sense at all.

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671
    edited January 2011

Beetle:  sorry to hear that you have had such a rough time!  I hope that you get your strength and your health back in 2011--It can get better with time!  I am curious too if you had a complete response. 

• sharonkw
    sharonkw Member Posts: 7
    edited January 2011

Hi Ladies,

Hopefully someone has some input for this one.  I am on my 9/12 Taxol after having 4 cycles of A/C... I did well thru the A/C but have been progressively weaker during the Taxol.  Now, shortness of breath is getting very serious.  I have no fluid in the lungs and had a CT scan a few days ago and having no problems.  My RBC is ok, just slightly low but has always been.  Is anyone having this problem and is there a solution?

• MBJ
    edited January 2011

sharonkw:  Lovelyface had a similar problem.  I think someone here mentioned Clariton.  You might try and PM her.  Hugs.

• MBJ
    edited January 2011

Moe0279:  You don't need a script for L-Glutamine.  See how many milligrams it is and go on line or go to a health food store or even Whole Foods to purchase it.  I take Jarrow brand 1000 mg/100 tablets $11.29 from V.P. Discount.

• MBJ
    edited January 2011

Sugar:  Happy New Year to you. I love that your husband bought you license plates with your "code" name on it!  So sweet.  It sounds like you had an amazing holiday!

• MicheleS
    MicheleS Member Posts: 196
    edited January 2011

hi everyone~ Just wanted to let ya'll know that I am going to take a break from the boards for a bit.  I'm having a rough go of it emotionally and don't want to be a downer here... Plus, the recent deaths have really gotten to me.  I will still be on FB.  Feel free to "friend" me! My email is momee2314(at)yahoo(dot)com.  You can find me on FB that way easily.  Just say that you are from the "TN thread" and I will accept!

xxoo

• HeidiToo
    edited February 2011
    Michele- think I'll take you up on that one. I've been a bit down myself lately, today in particular. I'm going to post my starting weight here tomorrow and what my daily consumption is for the ten pound weight loss thing but, like you, these deaths around the holidays have been a real bummer. I feel so useless of late.
  • Titan
    Titan Member Posts: 1,313
    edited January 2011

Agree with all of you....sometimes we need a break....there is no right or wrong here..you have to do what you have to do...we know that we are all thinking of each other even though we may not be talking every day.

These deaths really got to me too....I dunno..I think that the treatments make us very susceptible to other things...My brother in law had lung cancer...was doing pretty good, then he got pneumonia, which lowered his resistance and it came right back...

I'm starting that diet tomorrow too Heidi!  I see the onc at the end of the month and I would love to have some weight loss...

• MBJ
    edited January 2011

Michelle, Teka & HeidiToo:  I think that we have all been hit quite hard here as of late.  I do hate to see that a board that is usually so lighthearted and helpful be brought back to the realities of this disease in such a distressful way.  Since I have been battling depression for the last 2 or 3 months, I can so relate to your posts.  I think the most important thing for all of us is to remain hopeful, healthy and positive on our journey here and to support others in the same place.  I hope that you will change your minds and come back here to post as you all will be missed!  Hugs!!!

• MBJ
    edited January 2011

For those of you doing Organic a friend of mine posted this lin on Facebook:

http://farmwars.info/?p=4897

if this link doesn't work: USDA Certified Organic's Dirty Little Secret: Neotame | Farm Wars farmwars.info

It is amazing how low Monsanto will go to poison our food supply!  No wonder everyone has cancer!

• slcst12
    slcst12 Member Posts: 73
    edited January 2011

Hello everyone.
    I'm also feeling a bit low, with the recent parting of yet another sister. I'm new to the boards, and didn't have as much of a connection, but it still sucks. 

I did want to post on the boards and say that I finally called the doc about my "fire nipple" and they said it was either infection (I don't think so, no fever, nothing swollen other than my 'too-big' boob, and nothing red/inflammed), or it could be lymphangitis. I think this is more likely. The lump was pretty close to my nipple, and there are many nerve endings there...so it makes sense.

Happy New Year to everyone, and to those taking a break--you need to do what is right for you. I think it's hard (for me anyway) to be able to filter in positive/uplifting bits of info and try to put blinders on the sad stuff...sometimes I'm not able to do it at all...and that's when it really gets me down.

Hugs to all!

• Swanny
    Swanny Member Posts: 118
    edited January 2011

I am sorry that everyone is so shaken by the recent deaths.  I did not know either of them but just knowing they were TN scares me.  But I think it is the same scaryness that I live with everyday.  Doesn't make it more real or more scary.  It something we live with every day.  I look forward to seeing everyone's posts every day.  I get valuable information and a few laughs.  This is the best place to be.  I'll be here.  Hoping and learning along the way. 

As far as the depression.  I suffer from it also.  Got pills from my MD.  They help.  For those suffering depression and not on pills, maybe talk to you doc about getting on some pills, they seem to help me some.  Some is better than none.  I read some about some gals going to therapy.  That is probably another good suggestion.

Hope everyone is healthy in the new year.  I look forward to hearing from everyone.

• slcst12
    slcst12 Member Posts: 73
    edited January 2011

Also--wanted to note to Melissa (moe0279) --we got our dx the same day--are you doing taxol neoadjuvant? I feel like it's taken me forever to get going on this stuff...had to wait a whole month for surgery (Dec 20th)...then a whole 2 weeks to get my follow up (Jan 4th) and I'm anxiously awaiting the whole chemo thing...

• cc4npg
    edited January 2011

For what it's worth... this last death hit me hard too.  Been really down today.  I'm not going to take a break yet from the board, but wanted to let you all know it's not just a few of you who are having a hard time with the recent news.  There has to be something more to what happened to Diane... somebody missed something... somewhere... something just happened weird.