Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Calling all TNs

Comments

• Lovelyface
    Lovelyface Member Posts: 563
    edited February 2011

Heidi - My best wishes for your knee surgery tomorrow.  Hope all goes well.

Jenn - I am probably in the same boat as you so maybe we can share this scare.  I have really sharp pain in my ribs and had a right rib xray today. The results will come out tomorrow.

Additionally, I recently had a clean mammo, ultrasound and MRI, however, just tonight, I feel a tiny little painful lump at the edge of the right breast.  This is unbelievable.  The sharp pain in my rib seems to be in one spot, but when I start to massage the area, it seems to be in a larger area.  I feel that this is all post chemo pain. Is it possible that chemo causes nodules on some of us?  I am so sick of this horrible disease.  I feel so alone now, not sure what to do, as I just had the mammo and ultrasound and they had declared everything clear, and now this little painful lump.  Do we go to the doctor every day?  Today, I spent half my day at the Oncologist (blood test for tumor markers), Radiologist (starting radiation tomorrow) and the rib xray.  My God, when is this going to end?  I touch them every day, is that a good idea or bad?  I think I am gonna find something there every day, I swear.  Anyone else with a pain in their ribs a month after chemo?  Please pray with me that this is only chemo pain and there are no nodules.

Heidi - you are right, that is we should not worry until we find the facts.  It could be nodules from the chemo which is NOT cancer.

• Lovelyface
    edited February 2011

Hi Cleob - you are the first person who I have found has a 5% ER positive.  I am a 5% PR positive, otherwise TN.  Do you mean to say that the tumor cells in the groin area confirmed that it was breast cancer metastized, which they call distant metastasis?  Well, tonight I am keeping my fingers crossed as you can see my post that I feel pain and am scared of my xray results tomorrow.  The growths you mention, were they like lumps?  My Oncologist wants to treat me with anti-hormone therapy due to the 5% PR positivity. I am sorry I don't have much advice at this point, except to say that you should not think of the worst.  I have heard that many higher stage women live healthy lives for many many years and don't die of breast cancer but of other causes.  I hope Xeloda works miracles for you and stops all growths.

• riley702
    riley702 Member Posts: 575
    edited February 2011

Lovelyface - I'm 8% ER+, and my onc has me taking Tamoxifen. I said I would as long as the SEs weren't bad; so far, I've had none in 3 months.

• tnbcRuth
    tnbcRuth Member Posts: 338
    edited February 2011

Be careful with poking and massaging ribs...I found one tiny sore spot and poked it for 2 weeks at which time I got scared and ended up having a bone scan.  It was nothing...I had just poked at it so much it turned a small sore spot into a big sore spot.  My bs said rib pain was a common complaint resulting from the trauma to our breasts.  Definitely have it checked out, but leave it alone and see if it goes away first before you to go the time and expense and worry of more testing.

Here's hoping everyone's worries are B-9 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Fighter_34
    Fighter_34 Member Posts: 496
    edited February 2011

Heidi-Good Luck and take it easy. I'll PM you my email address today.

Follow-up appt ladies what's the standard a breast exam, blood draw and what else???I go back to the ONC in two weeks to close out CHEMO. He's saying to make sure my SE are gradually easing away and to check my counts. Then after that I go every three months.

I go for my exchange surgery after we meet up for the Cherry Blossom parade. Did I mention I have feeling in one of my brest more than the other, I FELT THAT NEEDLE GO IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Still worried about those waiting test results. Continue to eat healthy and walk.

HUGS to all.... 

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671
    edited February 2011

I haven't been on in the last couple days so I have alot of catching up to do!

Heidi:  We are all thinking about you and your surgery today and you might be happy to have that walker right after having knee surgery!  My brother had several knee surgeries and from a long ago auto accident and they made him use one too, and he was really young--I think in his 20's!  I had no idea they made synthetic saddles for horses in water!  I hope you heal up quickly and are riding again in no time!

For all of you having tests:  I am hoping that everything is B9 and you continue in good health.

• MBJ
    edited February 2011

Fighter:  I have lots of feeling on my MX side--the numbness is mostly under my arm and on my back.  It doesn't feel the same as before, and there is a small area in front where it's still numb but I am happy you have some feeling returning!

• Suze35
    Suze35 Member Posts: 559
    edited February 2011

Heidi - good luck with your surgery!!

Jenn - I am thinking of you and sending positive energy your way. I'm so sorry you have to go through this waiting, and hope it is nothing in the end.

Lovelyface - sending you positive vibes and thoughts as well!

Yesterday was my last chemo - yayyyy! My doctor does think it is cording due to my nodes being scarred and non-functional. She is getting me a LE PT consult, and gave me a few exercises
    to do in the meantime. In her eyes, it was a good sign about my nodes being scarred - but of course, puts me at more risk for LE. I'll be sure to let my BS know also.

Have an upper endo scheduled for 3/3 to make sure I don't have an ulcer from all this crap.

And I have a stinking cavity! My first one in 25 years. Ugh.

Okay guys, lets put our good thoughts together for our sisters in need - thinking of you all!

• beccad
    beccad Member Posts: 189
    edited February 2011

Suze, Yayyy, for finishing chemo!!!  I just read your profile and we are pretty much on the same timeline.  I finished chemo on 2/8 and will have surgery on 3/7. 

Beccad

• MonikaV
    MonikaV Member Posts: 148
    edited February 2011

Heidi: Good luck today.

Jenn3: You are constantly in my prayers.

Suze35: Congrats on finishing Chemo!

Everyone else : Have a great day . Off to school now. Smile

• Fighter_34
    Fighter_34 Member Posts: 496
    edited February 2011

YEAH Suze I know the feeling all to well!!!!! Take it easy and enjoy.

• cleob
    cleob Member Posts: 8
    edited February 2011

To all the ladies having surgery, chemo, tests, and awaiting results, my heart goes out to you all.

LOVELYFACE: YES THE GROWTHS ARE LUMPS THAT EXPRESSED CANCER CELLS. THE ONE IN THE GROIN AREA IS BREAST CANCER. THE PETSCAN ONLY SHOWED THE PRESENCE OF CANCER CELLS AT THE SITE OF THE THREE LUMPS,. OTHER TISSUES AND ORGANS ARE CLEAR . HOW IT GOT THERE AFTER ALL THE TREATMENT IS BAFFLING, WE ARE AWAITING  A  FEEDBACK FROM A RESEARCH LAB AND I WILL BE SEEING MY BS SOMETIME THIS WEEK.

RILEY702: IT'S NICE TO KNOW THAT WE SHARE A SIMILARITY. I DID NOT INITIALLY UNDERSTAND THE WEAKLY POSITIVE THING OR KNOWING WHETHER I WAS TN OR NOT. TAXOL DID NOT WORK QUITE WELL WITH ME BUT AC DID. HOW HAVE YOU BENEFITED FROM TAMOXIFEN SO FAR AND WHAT WAS YOUR TREATMENT PROTOCOL.

KIND REGARDS TO ALL.

• cc4npg
    cc4npg Member Posts: 438
    edited February 2011

Hurray for Suze35!!  Congrats!!

• jcoutee
    jcoutee Member Posts: 8
    edited February 2011
    riley702 & cloeb-i am 8% er+ and doing the weekly taxol x 12 followed by bi-weekly ac x 4.  i went to MD Anderson and the dr there suggested taking tamoxifen but my onc. here has not.  i was going to ask him if it would be a good idea to take it after all my treatments.  i also was wanting to have another baby and everyone said to wait 3 years after chemo but if i am weakly estrogen positive i don't know if i should.  did your drs suggest you do the tamoxifen? and for how long 5 years?
  • femailman
    femailman Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2011

Dear workmother,  I was diagnosed as triple negative in July of 2007.  I tried a lumpectomy, but ended up with a masectomy anyway.  I did not do radiation, but I did 4 treatments of adriamyacin and 4 of taxol.  I lost all hair, and it did grow back, although not as fast as I would like.  It is scary, but everyone, including me, will tell you to hang in there.  Chemo is do-able, not fun, but do-able.  The thing to remember that all of it is temporary.  It is all leading to erradicating the invader.  Don't dwell on much past that until you are past all of this.  One step at a time is my advice.

• Lovelyface
    edited February 2011

Ladies - everyone thank you so much for your good wishes.  The nurse just called me to say that my ribs xray was fine, there was nothing.  I think this is all just post chemo pain.  I was measured for radiation today and will be starting tomorrow.

Suze - Oh, you must be SO relieved, I can only imagine how I felt when chemo was finished.  So happy for you. Thanks for your positive vibes and kind thoughts you sent me, they worked.

Whoever is weakly positive for any hormone - My Onc. told me that NCCN guidelines say one should take anti-hormone therapy no matter what the percentage is and that's why he wants to put me on aridimex/zometa, because I am post menopause. Cleo and Riley - You guys must be younger that's why you are taking tamox. for your weakly positive hormone? Aridimex is for post menopause women.

femailman - good to hear that you are 3 years out.....yeah!!!!

Heidi - hope your surgery went okay today, thinking of you and sending you good wishes.

MBJ - I tried to copy you (eat 2 cups a day) and bought frozen blueberries from Costco - large bag.  I think I am allergic to them.  I had skin rashes for several days, especially in the mornings.  Stopped the blueberries, rashes went away.......I wish I could eat 2 cups everyday like you, heard they are cancer fighting, big time.

• MBJ
    edited February 2011

Lovelyface:   WAHOOOOOO!!!  That is such great news!!!  I am so sorry you had that reaction to the blueberries!  I guess it's possible to have something like that happen.  If you checked the bag and there aren't any preservatives, then I guess you are allergic!  The good news:  We have so many foods that are good for us that I wouldn't worry about not being able to do just one.  Congratulations on being all clear!

Suze35:  Yay for you!!!  Another one of us completely done with chemo.  Congratulations!!!

Heidi:  We are all thinking about you today!!!!

• Lovelyface
    edited February 2011

MBJ - thanks so much for sharing in my happiness with my good news, I am doing my happy dance today, just so relieved.  You all are such awesome women, and I have no doubt it was all your good heartfelt wishes which makes us come through such nightmares.  Everything is going very well for me now that the doubts are over.  God bless you all wonderful women!!!!

• cleob
    cleob Member Posts: 8
    edited February 2011

Hi jcoutee,

i am currently on XELODA but hope to mention the option of TAMOXIFEN to my ONC on my next visit.

LOVELYFACE: CONGRATULATIONS on the good news.

• TifJ
    TifJ Member Posts: 804
    edited February 2011

It sure is nice to "hear" some good news! Congrats Suze on last chemo! Lovelyface- great news!!

Fighter- How are you feeling?

Heidi- I hope your surgery went well and that you recover quickly!!

Jenn3- My prayer and good thoughts are with you during your wait.

• MBJ
    edited February 2011

(((((Lovelyface)))))!!

• Titan
    Titan Member Posts: 1,313
    edited February 2011

Lovelyface...good news and big hugs to you..allergic to the blueberries hey?  For what it is worth..I'm allergic to strawberries..I break out in hives!!!

MJB..glad you are back..I swear..(sometimes)..if you go more than a couple of hours you miss out on stuff.

Welcome to our newbies..congrats to the couple of you finishing chemo and now moving on...

Keeping you in my mind Jenn..hoping those freaking lung nodules are absolutely nothing but it sucks you have to go through a biopsy and the anxiety...  We certainly all know anxiety here...sometimes I think that the anxiety is almost worse than the stupid cancer itself.

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited February 2011

I want to first start with thank you for all of the good wishes, thoughts and prayers - I need them.  I posted a thread titled Lung Nodules with my Stage III friends and Nancy D said she misread it as Lung NOODLES.  Hehehehehe...... I think from here on out we'll refer to them as lung noodles until I know otherwise.  My onc is moving fast and I do appreciate that.  I passed on anything for Thursday because it's my Mom's birthday, we have plans and I just don't want to do anything on her birthday.  I did blood work today, biopsy Friday, PET scan Monday and visit with the onc on Tuesday.  Until then lets pray it's lung noodles. :)

Lovelyface - I am so glad to hear it's nothing.  Whoo hooooooo - doing the happy dance.  I do suffer terribly with rib pain - have suffered since chemo started.  Seems to be common among a lot of us.  Sorry to hear about your blueberry allergy.  Is it just the blueberries or all berries?

MBJ - I love blueberries.  During the summer I love to eat a bowl of mixed strawberries, blackberries, rasberries and blueberries - I love berries.  Yummy........can't wait for in season fruit!

cc4 - yes the CT was with contrast.  I had a CT in April along with x-rays, then a bone scan and x-rays in October.  I think the worry is that the lung noodles weren't there on the previous scans and x-rays.  Ugh!!! Thanks for the info on the CT scan w/contrast though - I didn't realize that.

Suze - congrats on finishing chemo.  We rang a bell in our center for the last treatment......I hear the bells ringing.

Heidi - thinking of you.....

• MBJ
    edited February 2011

jenn:  Hears hoping we can enjoy some mixed berries in spring together and have a chuckle over lung noodles!  Hugs!!!

• MBJ
    edited February 2011

BTW:  Did they do a scan using the dye?  If not, can you request it?

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited February 2011

Yes, the scan was with contrast.  I had to drink two 12 oz cups of red stuff that had something in it and also something put through my veins during the scan.

• MBJ
    edited February 2011

Jenn:   Yuck, it hate that stuff!  Well, me must hope for the best and we will all be sending you good thoughts for B9!

• riley702
    riley702 Member Posts: 575
    edited February 2011

Lovelyface and cleob, my MO told me the same thing; that even though they've treated me as a TN, he thinks I'd benefit from 5 years of Tamoxifen. I'm 50, was 49 at dx, and my period never came back after chemo. Chemopause and now Tamoxifen makes my skin very dry and looks older. I slather on the lotion constantly.

Cleo, my chemo was a clinical trial, and I got 4 rounds of Avastin, Taxotere and Xeloda, followed by 4 rounds of Avastin , Adriamycin and Cytoxan. My tumor responded to all of it; I could feel it softening and shrinking. It went from 4 x 4.5 cm to 1.1 cm before surgery.

• kelben
    kelben Member Posts: 199
    edited February 2011

Jenn thinking of you all the time and your lung noodles....

Congrats. Lovelyface, what a huge relief.... I know the feeling and it is wonderful

Heidi hope you don't need your walker and you are doing well

• MBJ
    edited February 2011

Jenn:  Sending you many good thoughts today! 

Heidi:  Hoping you are able to manage today without too many pain meds.  Take it easy and let your body heal, though.