Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Calling all TNs

Comments

• HeidiToo
    HeidiToo Member Posts: 965
    edited March 2011

I am very acquainted with RLS, having experienced it quite frequently myself from a very young age. My cousin takes daily meds for it and it often seems to run in families. It's a creepy feeling, and one that is very hard to shake.

I tend to get it on days where I have been very active (walking, running, etc.) It was not associated with chemo in my case at all. Just something I have always dealt with from time to time.

• HeidiToo
    edited March 2011

BTW, it isn't like a cramp... it's just a feeling that you have which makes you have to keep moving your legs. Never makes me feel like I have to get out of bed... I just have to keep my legs moving. It can be very annoying.

I can go months (even years) without it and then, without warning, I seem to get it quite often. Other than the activity level mentioned in my earlier post I have never been able to attribute it to any specific food or action on my part.

• riley702
    riley702 Member Posts: 575
    edited March 2011

That sucks!

• Huskerkkc
    Huskerkkc Member Posts: 471
    edited March 2011

Any of you that are on Taxol and gotten neuropathy SE's from (tingling and/or numbness in hands/feet), how soon did that start? Same day? A few days later? Or after several chemo treatments? 

• Babs37
    Babs37 Member Posts: 320
    edited March 2011

Huskerkkc- For me, I got some numbness in my fingers and toes 2 days after each treatment (12 weekly Taxol) for about 2 days and then it was gone. But for my last 3 treatments, the numbness didn't go away. The weird part is, it only stayed and had gotten worse on my left hand and foot. Now I'm 2 months out of Taxol and I still have a bit of numbness left on my left side.

• Kymn
    Kymn Member Posts: 887
    edited March 2011

Hi all, Riley good info to have thanks, my lips were a bit tingly this morning but have since gone down a bit. still feeling good one day down. Hopefully I dont crash tomorrow or the next day but hard to know first go around. have a good night

• Titan
    Titan Member Posts: 1,313
    edited March 2011

Kymn..glad you are feeling well!   Hopefully your SE's. will be few!  And I'm glad you are popping the anti-nausea pills at that first little twinge..that is what they are there for.

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671
    edited March 2011

A SAD PASSING

Please join me in remembering a great icon of the entertainment community. The Pillsbury Doughboy died yesterday of a yeast infection and trauma complications from repeated pokes in the belly. He was 71.  Doughboy was buried in a lightly greased coffin.  Dozens of celebrities turned out to pay their respects, including Mrs. Butterworth, Hungry Jack, the California Raisins, Betty Crocker, the Hostess Twinkies, and Captain Crunch.  The grave site was piled high with flours.

Aunt Jemima delivered the eulogy and lovingly described Doughboy as a man who never knew how much he was kneaded.  Born and bread in Minnesota , Doughboy rose quickly in show business, but his later life was filled with turnovers. He was not considered a very smart cookie, wasting much of his dough on half- baked schemes.  Despite being a little flaky at times, he still was a crusty old man but was considered a positive roll model for millions.

Doughboy is survived by his wife Play Dough, three children:  John Dough, Jane Dough and Dosey Dough, plus they had one in the oven.  He is also survived by his elderly father, Pop Tart.  The funeral was held at 3:50 for about 20 minutes.

If you smiled, please rise to the occasion and pass it on to someone having a crumby day and kneads a lift.

• sugar77
    sugar77 Member Posts: 1,328
    edited March 2011

MBJ - thanks for sharing.  That is too funny!

• MBJ
    edited March 2011

Heidi & Riley:  re RLS:  I hear that this is caused by a lack of magnesium. Everyone I know that has it is very active--maybe we sweat out our minerals more then at other times and our bodies temporarily get out of balance.

Sugar: Tongue out  I have been craving all things bread and carbs since I pretty much quite eating it except for the dry, sprouted "healthy" stuff.  Wish you could tell I have quite eating this stuff though.  It's all Pillsbury's fault, lol.

• HeidiToo
    edited March 2011

MBJ- I've heard that before, but it sure doesn't fit my cousin who is mentally active but physically not so. Go figure.

• navymom
    navymom Member Posts: 842
    edited March 2011

Good one, MBJ.  Thanks for the chuckle

• Titan
    edited March 2011

Very funny MGB!

Is anyone watching the basketball tournaments this weekend or am I the only "FANatic?

Two years ago yesterday I had the surgery and it was great to lay around watching all the games.gave me something to do. You ladies on here now are so much more knowledgeable than I was 2 years ago..I was ignorant enough to think that surgery was it and then I was on my way!  NOT! 

• MBJ
    edited March 2011

Titan:  Congratulations on being cancer free for 2 years!!!

BTW:  For those of you interested, this is a great article on how/why sugar "feeds" cancer.  I read it because I am now forbidden to have sugar which is my big weakness.  I think it's a great article to read for us TN's:  http://www.drlam.com/articles/2001-No5-SugarandAging.asp?page=3

• kelben
    kelben Member Posts: 199
    edited March 2011

Hi guys good to see you all.   Been busy doing stuff and taking a break.    Saw my PS on thurs. and she wants me to lose 30 lbs!!!  Sooooooooo , this otta be a day at the beach...... not!!!  Sugar isn't my biggest problem, salt is.... potato chips and cheezies my biggest downfall.  Hamburgers and french fries are next.   So, I went shopping yesterday and bought diet stuff.  I am pretty good at starting stuff, but keeping on it is tough for me.  I will need encouragement      lots of it        everyday.

Heidi hows your knee doing???

• MBJ
    edited March 2011

kelben:  Guess you belong with the rest of us on the TN diet thread.  We all seem to be struggling with our weight after treatments.

• kelben
    kelben Member Posts: 199
    edited March 2011

yep, I am going over there too, I need tips for good foods to eat

• MBJ
    edited March 2011

I found out I had a very low body temp upon my BC diagnosis and I am working on correcting this.  For those of you with chronic low body temp and fibromyalgia symptoms:  http://www.wellsphere.com/fibromyalgia-article/fibromyalgia-and-low-body-temperature/1295181

Also, do a  Fibromyalgia search on this site to self cure these symptoms:  http://www.drlam.com/

• Kymn
    edited March 2011

Hi all, not feeling as great today :( just wanted to say hi and was thinking of you all. Cant really concentrate on the boards today but will be back when my arms and lets dont feel like they have lead in them

Hugs

• Titan
    edited March 2011

Kymn..hopefully you will feel better tomorrow..and that you can sleep tonight..sometimes those drugs can keep you awake.

Hi Kelben!  Good to hear from you..."diet food" is expensive!  With food prices so high it makes it even worse..I dont know how much I spent in the product dept. today..don't think I want to know..

• MBJ
    edited March 2011

Kymn:  Hang in there.  After the steroids wear off, that is usually when we have our "bad" days.  You should be better in a couple more days.  Hugs.

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited March 2011

Kym - sorry to hear that you're feeling bad today.  Sometimes coming down off of the steroids cause "bad days" or it's your bad day(s) from chemo.  Listen to your body and rest, rest, rest.  Remember to drink plenty of water and if you can get out, take a walk, even if it's a short one, like the end of the driveway.  (((hugs)))

There are different kinds of sugars in our bodies and the sugar that we eat in foods isn't the sugars that attach to the cancer cells. Sugar doesn't make cancer grow or spread.  This is one of those things that we're told by "people" that isn't exactly true, just like asparagus and lemons don't cure cancer.  I can't put my hands on the research paper that explained it, the same way that was explained by the PET scan technician and my doctor, but when I do, I'll share the information.  However, as a TN we do need to fight this horrible disease with all that we can and by staying as healthy as we can it gives our bodies more energy and resources to fight with.

• Titan
    edited March 2011

Jenn..and the rest of you...dang..I wish we could find out what really causes cancer..the sad thing is is that I don't think anyone really knows..women with breast cancer are all so different, old, young, athletes, non athletes, overweight, normal, underweight, tall, short, white, black, asian, you name it, we are all different but all got BC....is there a common denominator? 1) we are women and 2) we have breasts..can't think of anything else. 

• cc4npg
    cc4npg Member Posts: 438
    edited March 2011
    Kymn:  Just hang in there.  This is the normal time for you to not feel as well.  Keep hydrated, rest, and take the meds if needed.  You may feel exhausted once decadron wears off.
  • MBJ
    edited March 2011

Titan:  I guess if they knew the cause they could cure it, huh? 

I thought that TN's do best on a low glycemic diet in general.  No "sugar" meaning any food that quickly turns into sugar like breads, pasta, potatoes and plain old sugar.

• lrr4993
    lrr4993 Member Posts: 504
    edited March 2011

Since men get it too, the only common denominator is some breast tissue.

I don't think anyone has a clue as to what causes it.  I think the best we can do is try to be healthy, which helps with everything, not just cancer.  Beyond that, I think it is just a matter of luck.  Every time I ask my onco a question along the lines of how, why, or what to do now, I just get "we don't know."  It is so frustrating.  

• riley702
    riley702 Member Posts: 575
    edited March 2011
    I watched the Butler/Pittsburgh game tonight. What a nail-biter! I can't believe Butler knocked the top seed out before the Sweet Sixteen! I have to root for Butler because my nephew is an alumnus (Pharmacy). It was so exciting. I think we were all yelling those last 60 seconds or so (because yelling at the TV helps your team, don'tcha know?) Wink
  • sukie10
    sukie10 Member Posts: 14
    edited March 2011

Hi there. Just tuning in. You have a busy thread here. I am currently doing neoadjuvent chemo and was just wondering how quickly surgery is done afterwards. I'm assuming its about 3 or 4 weeks when the counts become normal but with so many questions at my last onc apt. I forgot to get a time line. Also if anyone knows how long before they usually start rads after a bi lat (no recon). I know this may depend on complications I'm just trying to get an idea of what to expect and when.

Just wrapping my head around the whole TN thing. Good there is a thread for our unique clique! 

• Kymn
    edited March 2011

good morning ladies, thanks for the advice and explanation I had no idea that the steriods were what was keeping my feel good. Darn how come we cant those longer then. Still feeling about the same as yesterday. Slept for 14 hours and wouldnt you know it woke up tired Yell have now been up for about an hour and a half and time for a nap sigh..I am having huge anxiety about my hair coming out I mean crying and sobbing over it. I cut about 5 inches off two days ago and am just getting to like the new due and am thinking well whats the point in that as I am just going to loose it all anyhow. Going to buzz it today I think to force myself to just get the heck over it cause ther is nothing I can do about it.

Sorry to be a downer just really wanted to check in and say hi but ended up complaining, guess I am getting good at that now darn darn darn

Have a good day ladies off for a nap

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited March 2011

Kymn - the loss of hair is very traumatic.........you will know when it's ready to go, whether be today or another day.  At least when we cut our own hair, it gives us control over something we have not control over.  (((hugs))) I hope that you feel better soon.