Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Calling all TNs

Comments

• swiftbird
    swiftbird Member Posts: 78
    edited March 2011

Kymn, like some others here, I had long hair but when I knew I was in for neo adjun chemo, I found a nice wig shorter but similar to my hairdo, cut my hair to match it - then when my hair started to come out, I just switched over.  I worked through chemo, so had to deal with colleagues and clients, and wanted to focus on work and not my hair.  Nobody in my office ever knew I was going through chemo until I finished.  I've heard some ladies complain about wigs; I was fortunate in that I found a beautiful wig shop, and got mono top'd wigs which are less itchy.  I'm always cold, so having something on my head was fine with me.  Basically - if you can afford it, get the best you can - it's a good investment (that's my only advice).

I have my 6 month follow up tomorrow. I got nervous about a mass I felt last week, freaked out, so I moved my labs up before my oncology appt on monday.  Turns out I have a seroma.  Also turns out it's very common.  So how come nobody said anything about it? I got lectures about lymphodema but not this, so I was scared out of my mind for a week.  Anyone have one? They aspirated it, no worries about it, but now I have to deal with probable recurrences of the seroma and other side effects (like, my surg nurse said she also suspects some concurrent breast lymphadema, but no arm lymphadema.  wtf?)

• cmksocal
    cmksocal Member Posts: 163
    edited March 2011

Sukie10 - I did neoadjuvant chemo.  Finished chemon on 9/7/11 and had surgery (lumpectomy) on 9/28/11.

Colleen

• cc4npg
    cc4npg Member Posts: 438
    edited March 2011
    Kymn:  The loss of hair is depressing.  It makes us LOOK like we're cancer victims.  Up until the hair is lost, we can still fake being normal, but a bald head or hat announces it to the world.  People try not to look, but you can tell they're wondering... is her hair just short, or is she sick?  My hair was long... not just long... we're talking to my hip long.  I'd had long hair for 30+ years and it was part of my identity.  Prior to mx, I cut it to my shoulder blades which, to me, was short.  I discovered I really liked it after cutting it, but then on day 14 from chemo, it started coming out.  I was hopeful I'd keep most of it, but it eventually came out with such force that it was annoying, so we buzzed it.  I got a wig.. never wore it.. used hats instead.  Now I'm 7 weeks pfc and it's probably 1/2 inch almost.  It's white mostly, but it's hair, so I'm ok.  It does make me look older, but I'm gonna fix that soon.  Crying is a normal part of this process.  Once you've finally faced the loss of hair, it does get better.  It's like with anything else regarding this disease... the anxiety leading up to the event is worse than the event.  And for some people, it begins growing back to some extent after you shave it.
  • Survivor2Be
    Survivor2Be Member Posts: 70
    edited March 2011

Sukie10  I am doing neoadjuvant as well.  I just had my PS consult.  He said to finish the chemo, then do surgery around 3-4 weeks after.  If radiation is required, then don't do reconstruction until a year post radiation (to allow for complete healing and BC treatment completion).  He is pushing me for a mastectomy due to my age (33).

What have you ladies done for surgery?  I know the studies show that lump+radiation = mastectomy (so usually I would do the lower invasive option).  However, here's my dilemna: the studies are looking at 5, 10 ,15 years out.  Well, I'm planning on living with cancer for 30-50 years!  Should I just get the boobies cut off, since if I have a recurrence or another primary tumor, then I would need the mastectomy anyways.

Just looking for references for what other women did.  Any women younger than 40 out there to enlighten me?  

Thanks! 

• beccad
    beccad Member Posts: 189
    edited March 2011

Sukie, I had my last chemo on 2/8/11, and then had my BMX on 3/7/11.  I think they are going to try to let me finish healing from the bmx and fill the TEs before beginning rads, but I will know more about that on the 28th when I see the RO for the 1st time.  

Heres to getting the last 2 drains out this Tuesday.  Oh, and to getting fill #2 next friday.

Beccad 

• sukie10
    sukie10 Member Posts: 14
    edited March 2011

Thanx everyone. I appreciate the info.

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671
    edited March 2011

Sukie:  I did neoadjuvent chemo and had surgery 3 weeks later.  If I would have needed radiation I think it was 6-8 weeks out depending on how I healed.  Hugs!

beccad:  Getting the drains out is such a huge relief!  Good luck on Tuesday.

Survivor2be: There are women much more eloquent then myself but here is my take on it:  The choices seem to be dependent on if you are BRCA1, which would indicate a full MX, also, if you have smaller breasts (like myself) a lumpectomy would leave you with nothing but empty breast tissue.  IMO: Women with larger breasts seem to fare better with lumpectomies.  The most important part of this surgery is the actual surgeon, I think.  Whether you do lumpectomy or mastectomy, you want someone with a high success rate of clearing the margins which requires having a good MRI first so they know prior to going in what they are dealing with.   Just because you have BC on one side doesn't mean you will get it on the other side. I hope this helps.

• Fighter_34
    Fighter_34 Member Posts: 496
    edited March 2011

Ladies:

I got picked up for a trial vaccine this week. I am thanking GOD for BCO, because it has given the knowledge and strength to advocate for myself. Every DOC appt I arm myself w/ questions and I ask is there anything more I can do DOC. 

I will know more this coming week its an immune boosting vaccine, and of course I will share exactly what it is with you guys as soon as I get more info.

• Titan
    Titan Member Posts: 1,313
    edited March 2011

Thanks Fighter...we do learn alot on here!  I've done some things and asked some questions and they ask me where I heard of this or that... They are all for it!

I watched the Butler game too!  Great Game

Now..I gotta go watch my Buckeyes tear up George Mason (hopefully).

• MBJ
    edited March 2011

Kymn:  Hair was the hardest thing for me to lose-more then my breast or my nipple.  I agree with the others-it's when it is obvous we are really sick.  I had many a good cry over this but now, a year later, I have almost the same amount of hair I started with, though slightly shorter.  I had my DH shave me and we both cried and I wore hats at home and I got a comfortable wig cut in my natural style to get me through and this too shall pass.  Big hugs!!!  You can do this.

• tnbcRuth
    tnbcRuth Member Posts: 338
    edited March 2011

Kymm, there is a bitch, moan and groan thead that is also good for unloading :)

• MonikaV
    MonikaV Member Posts: 148
    edited March 2011

Hi Ladies, my goodness this is a busy place. Trying hard to keep up with all the postings.

Sukie10 : Welcome.

Titan: How awesome to know that it has been 2 years. 

JenC: Welcome back. I missed you. Your hair is growing fast!  I had my exchange last 3/11/11. I feel great and they are a lot softer than the TE . I am glad!

Kymn: I remember crying in the shower the first time I saw my hair falling. I did not wanted to show my kids or husband that I was that emotional about something (what I thought  to be so meaningless"hair" ) . So every time after that when I felt like crying I would concentrate in seeing my glass half full. I kept imagining what would my hair look like when it grow back. You see, Before chemo my hair was very thin, and now the new hair that is coming is a lot better. It's fuller!!!!! So my friend , really hang in there!!!! It will grow back even better than before. Smile

Survivor 2b: I am 40 now. And I did opt for the BMX. Here are the reasons: 1) I am BRCA+

2)  The chance of reocurrence is high or even a new BC on the other breast.

3) I  know that when you do the rads the skin gets very thin and makes it hard to have a good result with Mx later if you end up needing it . 

4) I found out about Nipple sparing mastectomy and once i realize i was a canditate. I knew it was the better option for me. I had BMX 10/25/10 and just last 3/11/11 I did my exchange surgery. I love them! I am really satisfied with the results,. 

Beccad: Good luck on Tuesday. 

• Titan
    edited March 2011

Monika..there have been some studies that being tn BRCA is not such a bad thing..I never had the test and now I wonder????

Kymn..oh yeah..the hair thing..it really, really does suck, there is no way around it...and it stinks we have to go through it...that was the only thing that really classified me as a "cancer patient"...The wig lady was wonderful but told me that it was for only a "short" time.I was like..easy for you to say...it just a shock to not have any hair.  

The people that love you will celebrate with you when you have those first few sprouts of hair when it starts to come back...it really is exciting.

• kelben
    kelben Member Posts: 199
    edited March 2011

Not everyone has good feelings from Decadron unfortunately.   I went kind of psycho, and had to start another drug to combat it.   The chemo docs. said that it wasn't common but it does happen, that the steroids will cause negative SE's.  The tiredness is really hard during chemo, but if you just go with it and rest when you feel tired ( which is alot of the time), you'll get to the end soon...

Diet food is very expensive Titan, but I HAVE to lose this weight.  I'll be happy when our lake warms up and we can swim off some pounds......come on summer!!!!!

• Titan
    edited March 2011

Oh yes Kelben...I told my DH I wanted to help with the mulching, gardening, flower planting etc this summer and he said..you know you will sweat...imagine that......I also plan to run in some 5K's...

MGB...about the carb thing..breads, pasta etc..I know that if you don't burn them up they do turn into sugar..not a good thing....and I'm asking because I don't know..do carbs have anything to do with triglycerides?  Mine used to be very high, now they are very low...

• lrr4993
    lrr4993 Member Posts: 504
    edited March 2011

Re the wigs - if you get a nice wig with natural or natural-looking hair, most people will never know.  I have only told a very small group of people about my diagnosis because I did not want the attention and constant questions.  I was able to find a wig that looks very realistic and very much like my own hair.  No one ever questioned it.  I got a couple of "did you get your hair done" comments, but a couple of friends have not even notice the difference.

To the person weighing mastectomy v. lumpectomy, I did the latter.  I have decent sized breasts - about a C/D cup and had a tumor just under 2 cm.  They took out a huge chunk (I had clear margins of a several cm) but you would never know it.  The incision has healed beautifully and is barely visible now.  The lumpectomy breast is slightly smaller now, but only noticeable when naked.  There is also a scar tissue lump, but it is not huge and not noticeable unless you are feeling for it.  It actually looks better than the other now - it was like getting a lift.  Once I clear the timeperiod for risk of recurrence I will likely get a reduction in the other to match.  but for now it is nothing that is bothersome.  I am extremely pleased with the results, cosmetically speaking.  If it is an option for you and you have a build that can take it, I recommend it.

It was also an extremely easy surgery.  I needed nothing more than tylenol for a day or two and was back at work within a week.  But for the effects of the anesthesia, which really did a number on me, I would have been back to normal within 48 hours. 

• kelben
    kelben Member Posts: 199
    edited March 2011

Winter is a real down time for me before I got BC and now it is even worse as far as exercise is concerned.   Maybe once I get "back to normal" I will take up some winter sport.... hummmm, skiing is definately out... I can think of at least 10 better ways to kill myself than to strap on two pieces of aluminum to my feet and slide down a mountain at mach 3.... maybe cross-country... across the lake... I know, I'll harness up the French bulldogs and get them to pull me around... they'll be as fit as fiddles.  I could join a Tai Chi class, or take up running.... geez, I'm getting tired just talking about all this.. good night all.

• cc4npg
    edited March 2011
    Andrea:  I had bilat mx.  I was 43 at dx, but I have a 3 yr old and I wanted to do all I could to kick this thing the first time.  Much of the reason I had bilat mx was because I ended up being BRCA+.  Even with no real family history, they still tested me.  I didn't expect it to be positive.. what a shock.  It's really a personal choice what you decide to do.  There is another thread I started called "Lumpectomy vs. Mastectomy" and there are some really good pros and cons listed from other posters on there.
  • Titan
    edited March 2011

I won't argue with anyone about lump vs. mast.  My SIL did the mast, I did the lump..we are both happy with our choices..and I wouldn't try to persuade anyone to go either way...I think if you have a good Breast Surgeon..he/she will advise you..but ultimately...unless in certain cases, breast size, lump size..lots of things factor in here..the choice can be up to you.

My lump was 1.8 cm..my BS also got excellent margins...I'm a size 36 C...except for 2 very small scars (SNL and lump scar) you can't even tell anything was done.   My SIL has reconstruction..and even though I haven't seen them (some things should remain private)..I have seen part of them and they look sooo real...you would never ever know the difference.

• Gorilla12
    Gorilla12 Member Posts: 12
    edited March 2011

Hi All:

I haven't posted for awhile, however wanted to share my good news - celebrating my 6-year cancerfreeversary!!! I'm so glad to be here to live it - I am getting married on June 11th and my 2 kids 16 & 20 are so happy for us. I am getting new stepchildren too. Imagine a great fiance (soon to be husband) 4 kids and 3 dogs, what an adventure - I can't wait. Enjoy the ride!!!!

• MBJ
    edited March 2011

Gorilla12:  Thank you so much for coming here and sharing your 6 year cancerfreeversary!  WAHOOO FOR YOU!!!!  It's women like you that give us so much hope.  Congrats on your new marriage, too.  Sounds like a good time will be had by all!  Hugs!

• MBJ
    edited March 2011

Titan:  I thought triglycerides were in bad fats, but I am no expert. 

• cc4npg
    edited March 2011
    Gorilla12:  So happy to hear you're 6 years out!  I looked over your other posts... was curious to see what your dx was and what tx you'd had.  You just had 4 DD AC and rads right?  1.5 cm, no nodes?  You didn't have any Taxol or Taxotere?  Thanks for visiting us once again...
  • Babs37
    Babs37 Member Posts: 320
    edited March 2011

Gorilla12- Congrats!!! You give us all hope.........

Hi everyone- Just went to see my doctor today and got my path results. They took out 7 nodes and 2 were positive and had residual cancer (node went from 1.5cm to 7mm). The breast still had residual cancer too but I started out with a 4.5cm, a 1.5cm and a 1cm and it all shrunk to a couple of mm total. So even though I did not have a CPR, the chemo worked pretty well after all. The margins are good too. My doctor was pleased and so was I. Now I go on to rads. I should start in a couple of weeks. Have a great evening everybody. 

• Suze35
    Suze35 Member Posts: 559
    edited March 2011

Yay Babs! I'm so happy to hear you had a good response to the chemo :)!!!

• cc4npg
    edited March 2011

I second that "Yay"... always good to hear news that chemo has kicked cancer's butt.

• MBJ
    edited March 2011

Congratulations on a succesful surgery and that the chemo kicked BC's b*tt!!!

• Fighter_34
    Fighter_34 Member Posts: 496
    edited March 2011

How do you upload pics?????

Thanks.

• JenC
    JenC Member Posts: 186
    edited March 2011

MonicaV - glad you are doing good after your exchange.  Mine is on 4/4/11 and I am getting anxious. 

Kymn - I had long blonde hair before chemo.  Right before my second treatment (I had AC every other week) my hair started falling out.  I had it shaved the day after it started falling out.  That was the hardest for me also as it seems to have been for alot of the woman on here but a good wig helps you feel not so "noticeable".  Keep us posted on your progress.

on the Lump v. Mast subject - I had a lump without clear margins so then a mast.  If I had to do it over I would do the same thing.  As my sugion said to me, why take it all if we dont need to.

Gorilla12 - Congratuations all around and best wishes in you new endeavors..Laughing

Babs37 - Great news.  Congrats.  Best of luck with the rads.  Use the creams as they tell you to to minimize burning and pealing.  I did pretty well until the last 5 treatments or so.  I had to take a break for a few days due to burning but it cleared up pretty quick.

Just had my first mamo since diagnosis (although they can only do the right side) and all is good.  I did not think there was anything to be worried about but as all of you know, it is always in the back of your mind....  One weight off of my shoulders for now:)

• HeidiToo
    HeidiToo Member Posts: 965
    edited March 2011

Fighter-

1. You have to have the pictures stored in an online album (in other-words, it has to have a URL.. photo can't just be on your hard drive)

2. Once you have the URL location you have to copy/paste it in BC.org "Post a Reply" window by clicking on the "tree" icon located to the left of the smily face. When you open the "tree" area paste your photo's URL location into the URL line (should be the first entry at top) and then hit the "Insert" button at the bottom of the window.

3. Your picture should then show up in the message body. If it doesn't it may be because it is too large. If you have the option of choosing "web" size when you get the link from your online photo storage do it, otherwise the photo may be *huge* when it is displayed in here.

If you are still stuck send me a PM and I will try and talk you through it.