Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Calling all TNs

Comments

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited July 2010

Today the weather will still be hot for us, but because of the Tropical Storm coming our way it's bringing a nice breeze and rain that will cool us off for a day or two.

I still think getting cancer is a crap shoot........I am the first in my family to have any type of cancer and while I could stand to lose a few pounds I was active.  My eating ranged from healthy to junk splurges.  I smoked when I was younger, but haven't had cigarette in 19 almost 20 years.  

• sugar77
    sugar77 Member Posts: 1,328
    edited July 2010

I think MJB is on the right track about looking at the previos five years.  I had more stress in the past few years than I've ever had in my life.  My father was diagnosed with cancer in April 1995 and died in Oct. 2007.  Then, in less than a year, my mother developed COPD and CHF and has since had a series of heart attacks. She was on a ventilator and had flatlined twice in week prior to me getting my diagnosis. I think the body can only hand so much stress. 

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618
    edited July 2010

I never smoked or drank.  And, I too, am the first in my family to have any type of cancer.  I had never been over weight at all. I also ate a wide range of food types.  I hadn't lost a family member in 20 years.  No change in work.  Was married to the same person for 21 years.

• gillyone
    gillyone Member Posts: 495
    edited July 2010

I'm with Jenn - it's a crap shoot. I am the first female in my family to get bc. We didn't do anything to get or "deserve" this.

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671
    edited July 2010

Sugar:  I am so sorry for your loss and what you are going through with your mom.  When I met my husband 8 years ago, over a period of  months, he lost both his grandfathers, we got engaged a year and a half later and first he lost his father and shortly after I lost my mother due to a series of severe, multiple heart attacks, somewhere in between we got married, moved a couple of times, add a couple of car accidents, two lawsuits, an abusive boss and well, the most stressfull time of my life times a 10000!

Anyone know how to boost my white blood cell count?  Do I need to eat more protein?

• MBJ
    edited July 2010
  • MonikaV
    MonikaV Member Posts: 148
    edited July 2010
    Hi my friends ... To to wish an wonderful weekend. I had the new chemo on Thursday and so far I feel great. I took the Neulasta shot and still feeling ok by the Grace of God. Happy day!KissSmile
  • Lynn18
    Lynn18 Member Posts: 284
    edited July 2010

MBJ, Titan, JenC, and Paulding Mom,

Thank you for the welcomes.  This board makes me feel much more positive about my situation. 

Lynn 

• MBJ
    edited July 2010

Lynn:  You are very welcome!  I sent you a PM.

Monika:  What a relief!  Now tell the chemo to kick the cancer's arse!

• jenn3
    edited July 2010

MBJ - I know the Neulasta drops the RBC pretty low and that even eating more meat, greens and beans doesn't help, only time (and an infusion if it gets really bad).  I'm not sure about the WBC - Mine pretty much bottomed out from the chemo.  However, when I finished AC and started on Taxol it started creeping back up.  Have you had a chance to talk to the onc about your WBC?

Lynn - Welcome - sorry you have to be here, but these are a group of wonderful women.

• riley702
    riley702 Member Posts: 575
    edited July 2010

The Neulasta shots always increased my WBCs, sometimes dramatically. It wouldn't stay up, though. My WBCs would be low again by the time I was due for another shot (every two weeks).

• Titan
    Titan Member Posts: 1,313
    edited July 2010

My WBC was normal b-4 chemo..because of that stupid neulasta shot it was over normal range...I still don't think I needed to get that shot and if I had to do over I won't get the darn thing...I think it caused my muscle and body aches..no..I don't think it I KNOW it...I could have refused it but I was too chicken...

I have heard that eating cantaloupe helps with the WBC...my onc pooh poohed it but cantaloupe is good for you anyway....so it wouldn't hurt to try it. 

About why we got breast cancer.....I do believe that stress is detrimental to a persons health but I can't believe it actually causes cancer...No one goes through life without any stress..and not everyone gets cancer.

• MBJ
    edited July 2010

Jenn:  I am waiting for a copy of the report so I can go over it with my Onc, hopefull on Monday.

Titan:  It isn't that stress causes cancer, but overwhelming stress that you have no control over with no relief, I think this compromises our immune system and if it goes on for a long enough time (5 years of relentless stress in my case) your immune system just breaks down.  I wasn't sleeping nor could I take a day off for years!!!

• Meece
    edited July 2010

I had a 19 yr. streak of stress, and it was BC that gave me a way to get out from under it.

• jenn3
    edited July 2010

I still think getting cancer is a crap shoot................However, I have learned that when our immune systems are comprised the cancer cells that everyone has are able to break through and start growing. 

I was under stress with my daughter - she was a healthy teen, cheering, good grades, etc.  Suddenly unable to walk or use her hands with unrelenting pain in her hands and feet. She went undiagnosed for over a year, during which time we were told it was a mental issue.  She was finally diagnosed with a rare neurological disorder and once she was treated she was fine. Also during that time I was put on Humira (TNF Blocker known to decrease the immune system).  So all of that could have played a role in my having cancer, but there are people under a lot more stress than I was that don't get cancer.  I think there are those of us that have a higher probability of getting cancer if our immune systems are compromised.

• MBJ
    edited July 2010

Meece:  That is exactly how I felt.  BC was a blessing in disguise because I needed a break and I couldn't take one. 

• Pamelajo
    Pamelajo Member Posts: 124
    edited July 2010

I did nothing to get breast cancer.  It just found me. 

I'm not taking responsibility for this catastrophic mess.  I'm not blaming it on those who stress me, nor am I pointing fingers at unresolved issues with my Mom.  Everyone has cancer cells.  Something triggers them to grow into cancer tumors.  Until someone gives me a definitive answer on WHY I got this, it's all speculation and hokus pokus.

MBJ, your white cell count can drop for many reasons.  I've been taking Purple Mushroom Defense, 4 per day, made by CellForte and Astragulus Root (2 per day) capsules since starting treatment, and my counts have never dropped below 7....without Neulasta

• MBJ
    edited July 2010

Pamalejo:  No blame at all--I think there are so many reasons the body breaks down and stress can be a contributor--I certainly wouldn't blame myself or other people for it!  You are correct--we all have cancer cells in our bodies and it can happen to anyone.  Thanks for the recommendations above--I haven't tried these but I need to do something more!

Anyone here ever try the Perricone "diet"?  It's not really a diet but it is a high anitoxidant meal plan and there is a 28 day menu that goes with it plus, of course excercise.  It eliminates pasta, bread, sugar and coffee but does allow meat, small amounts of dairy and a wide variety of foods that re supposed to help heal the body and make you look better (younger) which is his whole thing.  I am leaning towards it because it lays out a daily, five meal a day plan: breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner, snack.  Women have claimed to lose lots of weight doing it but I have also heard of people with lifelong ailments being "cured" by it, such as thyroid issues.  It is high in protein, which I think I am lacking in and is maybe contributing to the low white blood cell count. 

• PauldingMom
    PauldingMom Member Posts: 392
    edited July 2010

Kad 22- We flew into Milwaukee Thursday just before the storms rolled in. It was pretty scary and the plane was bumping like crazy. I thought the thing was gonna fall apart. Then we were worried we weren't going to be able to fly out on Sunday. They opened up the airport on Sat. and got caught up. Whew.....but it would have been fun to spend a few more days with my sister in Russell.

Can't help to grin when I read the post about BC in the right breast caused by a broken heart. Mine was in my R breast and Mom's too.  

• kad22
    kad22 Member Posts: 58
    edited July 2010

PauldingMom - good thing that the airport opened and was caught for you! It was crazy with rain and flooding! I grew up in Milwaukee but now live 1/12 hours away closer to Madison! Still got rain but not as much!

MBJ - That "diet" plan sounds like a good one - will have to look into it. I can't believe how much I gained on chemo - never thought that would happen. Still 8 more treatments to go before I will worry about losing it though!!

Take care everyone!  Kelli

• laurajane
    laurajane Member Posts: 305
    edited July 2010

Pamalejo- I wanted to take something similiar and my oncologist advised me not too. It is inspiring to know that someone out there thinks its ok.

MBJI hope yesterday brought good news on your WBC

Kad22 Thanks for the Taxol update. I hope it continues well for you.

To Meece and everyone else out there who has continued to work through Chemo I have great respect and admiration to all of you.

Has anyone had unexplained pain in the opposite breast as the one that has the tumor. I've had pain in my right for 3 days now and the tumor is on the left. My oncologist  has blown me off saying she did a thorough breast exam last week. Am I turning into a nut case? 

• HeidiToo
    HeidiToo Member Posts: 965
    edited February 2011

Still here...  back from our month in Maine with horses and boat. Don't visit these forums much any more, really. But I thought Titan might wonder where I've been!

F*ck cancer...

• sylviaexmouthuk
    sylviaexmouthuk Member Posts: 7,940
    edited July 2010

Hello, Pamelajo, Titan, Gillyone and MBJ,

Thank you for your kind words about my reaching five years. I am thinking of all of you and wishing you all the best of luck.

You might all find some interesting postings on the Not A Typical Triple Negative forum. I found it most interesting when I first discovered bc.org.

To Gillyone, I would like to say hello to a fellow Brit. I spent 17 years in Canada in Montreal, Ottawa and London. My husband and I came back to the UK 16 years ago and found it very difficult to get used to life back in the UK. Canada is a great country and we had a good life there, but you do miss the family back home. The winters are very harsh, especially for Brits!

To MBJ.
    When I was diagnosed with breast cancer five years ago, the consultants also discovered that I had hyperparathyroidism (an overactive parathyroid gland). This causes excess calcium in the blood and calcium to leech from the bones. There was a non-malignant growth on one of the four parathyroid glands, the lower right one. This growth is known as an adenoma. I had this removed last year. My breast cancer was in the right breast. I have since done a lot of research and there seems to be a connection between hyperparathyroidism and breast cancer. The experts do not know for sure which causes the other or whether there is something that causes both. You will find information about this on the internet. Because of the calcium problem, hyperparathyroidism, untreated, causes osteoporosis. Here in England, you would not know that you had it, because routine blood tests do not check the parathyroid hormone level, only the thyroid level and calcium level. If you are interested in this, I started a forum on hyperparathyroidism and breast cancer on bc.org.

It is feasible that there can be a connection as well with thyroid problems and breast cancer, because of the iodine problem.

I would think it advisable that all patients undergoing chemotherapy and radiotherapy request a bone density scan before and after treatment to ascertain whether they have developed osteoporosis. I was diagnosed with osteoporosis last year and cannot be sure whether it was caused by the hyperparathyroidism or the cancer treatment, since both cause it.

I have looked up the Iodine Protocol from the Breastcancerchoices.org site, and feel there is a lot of truth in what is stated there. I am a bit wary of taking iodine supplements. One can never be sure what any kind of supplement is doing to the body. I prefer to eat healthily, get proper sleep and do some walking. I eat plenty of fruit and vegetables (organic where possible), fish, seafood, wholemeal organic bread, enriched fresh soya milk and yoghurt, nuts, seeds, beans and pulses. I do not eat any meat or poultry, dairy products and do not drink any alcohol. I take some supplements, calcium/magnesium/vitamin K, vitamin D3, multi-vitamin/mineral, vitamin C and fish oils. I hope the fish and seafood give me enough salt and iodine.

I feel that it is quite likely that cancer could well be a disease of deficiency, such as vitamin C, Vitamin D, iodine etc. We live in a world of processed foods, robbed of their goodness.

I hope all this will be of help to all of you and I look forward to any comments.

Sincere greetings from the UK, where we are also having a hot summer, but it is nothing like what some of you are going through, but then, here in the old country, air-conditioning is still not a way of life, except in cars.

I have also read a lot about exposure to light at night and the development of breast cancer, and felt strongly enough to start a forum on bc.org. In my apartment block, where there is a lot of light coming into the apartments, three of us developed breast cancer. The other two women had hormonal breast cancer.

Sylviaexmouthuk.

• g94u67
    g94u67 Member Posts: 91
    edited July 2010

Hello my TN's sistas!

I just want to say "Hello" to all of you beautiful ladies. After 17 rounds of chemo (Incl. PARP Study), 2 surgeries, current RADS TX to axilla, tumor & chestwall.... I am still here and still clear after my 2 yr. DX.

Stay strong in faith everyone!

Jeannine

• Titan
    edited July 2010

Ahh Heidi!  You look so damn good!  And happy!..and yes  F*8*c**k..cancer! 

Yay Jeannine!  

My daughter was just diagnosed with hyperthyroidism...hmm..I also had a bone density test several years ago and have ostoperosis in my lower spine...not much..just a little....hmm...you have got me thinking here! 

I see my gyn on Monday...She was the one I went to when I first found my lump...I have alot of questions for her....!! 

• jenn3
    edited July 2010

I had a bone density test done last week - I have full blown osterperosis in my spine - the dr said it hadn't gone to my hips yet, but we need to take action.  Hmmmmm.  I'm only 44!!!

• sugar77
    sugar77 Member Posts: 1,328
    edited July 2010

Jenn - sorry to hear this.  Were you symptomatic or was it just a routine bone density? Nobody has ever suggested I get a bone density and I'm 46 so I wasn't sure.

Titan - good luck on Monday at the gyn. 

Sherri 

• Titan
    edited July 2010

Jenn...I was only around 44 or so when I had my bone density test also..now looking back I'm thinking hmmm...they told me to take calcium but I really didnt..I do now..now I practically OD on it....never been much of a milk drinker.

Thanks sugar...can't tell you how thrilled I am to go the gyn...just having pap test because I'm over due for it...cervical cancer doesn't scare me in the least...and I think I'm fine but it doesnt hurt to have it checked out...though I think that area "down there" is plugged up..just ask my dh!  Anyway, I'm basically going because my 21 year old daughter is having her first pap so I'm going before her and then we are going to lunch..what a wonderful day..heh?

• Meece
    edited July 2010

Sounds like a real bonding time, Titan.  I have seen many mother-daughter pairs going in for mammos, but usually it is the daughter who is going to encourage mom to go.

• MicheleS
    MicheleS Member Posts: 196
    edited July 2010
    hi everyone!! Kiss