Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Calling all TNs

Comments

• Claire82
    Claire82 Member Posts: 490
    edited July 2010

Jwatrlily,

My breast surgeon said the survival rate for lumpectomy vs mastectomy was the same because if the lumpectomy didn't work, I could then have the mastectomy. I didn't want chemo or radiation so opted for the mastectomy. But then it was discovered I was triple negative and needed the chemo anyway. I didn't need the radiation. I point blank asked her this - if this was you, what would you do - she told me she would have the mastectomy - so I did. Every case is different. There is no right answer. Go with your gut - it's always worked for me.

• Titan
    Titan Member Posts: 1,313
    edited July 2010

Claire..why are you stage 111A?

• Claire82
    Claire82 Member Posts: 490
    edited July 2010

Stage 3 from the original mri report - report showed invasive and 4 cms

after surgery i'm sure it changed as it was only 1.6 cms and non-invasive

i never asked if my stage changed

• Titan
    edited July 2010

Sylvia..great news on the 5 years!   On this thread we are any age...young, older..whatever...the common thread we have is that we are triple negative..so here we have our "own" place to talk about our "specialness"! Laughing

Jwaterlily..it is a tough choice to decide between a lump or a masectomy..either way is the right way....there are pros and cons with both..I chose the lump because it was easier for me..I kept my breast..had no problems with radiation...had to have a chemo anyway..so that didn't matter one way or another.....A lumpectomy has very little recuperation time...I had mine on a Friday and was back to work on Monday...

• JenC
    JenC Member Posts: 186
    edited July 2010

Jwaterlily - As the other woman here have said it is a very tough choice between a lumpectomy and mastectomy and a very personal one.  You need to do what you feel is best for you and what you will be comfortable with.  There are pros and cons to each.  I am 37 and oringinally had a lumpectomy but with in in situ they found during testing it was suggested and highly recommended to go back for a mastectomy, so I did (left side only).  I am also a TN so had to have chemo either way but hoping for no radiation.  Do what you feel is best for you.  Either way you will get through this you are a stong woman as are the rest of the woman in your situation.  Keep us posted and we are all here to support you.

Jen

• retrievermom
    retrievermom Member Posts: 321
    edited February 2011

Jwaterlily:  You presented the best choice problem many of us face.  The initial info I received from my surgeon made lumpectomy reasonable for me; at that point I was told surgery then rads. Day of surgery, I heard there was a second affected area, but after surgery was still told no chemo, "just" rads due to no affected nodes.  Some in situ, some invasive.  Bringing in the medical onc gave me a different point of view, and with the TN grade 3, I opted to do chemo plus rads.  Since then, I have asked him if, given what we know now, would he have recommended a mx rather than lump, and he said no.  Compared to chemo, my rad experience was not bad.  Making all the decisions and trusting that you are doing the right thing is hard.  I, too, have a left total hip (never had a true socket) and have experienced the concerns about surgeries and infections. 

I take annual trips to Boise, Idaho Falls, and Blackfoot for dog shows.  DH runs field trials in Idaho, and the area north of Boise is absolutely gorgeous.  Heading to Reno this week, and I'm looking forward to getting away and back to doing what I love.

• cmksocal
    cmksocal Member Posts: 163
    edited July 2010

Titan-- you were able to go to work 2 days after a lumpectomy!  Is that common?  I didn't feel much like doing anything for 2 days after the needle biopsy.  I am doing neo-adjuvant chemo now  and will need to decide in 2 months about the surgery.  If the tumor doesn't shrink, there is no decision--it will be a mastectomy.  But if the chemo does its thing, then I have options.   And I don't know if there is "reconstruction" with a lumpectomy or only with mastectomy. I'm only a 34B, so it won't take much to make it look out of balance with the other side. 

Colleen

• retrievermom
    edited February 2011

Colleen:  I'm your size, too, but my surgeon moved tissue around, and her results were quite good.  Not a balance issue, just a bit of a divot.  She recommended my staying home a week after surgery, and I did, because I had sick time and felt like taking time away.  I was more a wreck mentally than physically at that point.

• Titan
    edited July 2010

I don't know if it is common or not..it may have been stupid!  But I did it and I told my co-workers how excited I was to be there on a Monday morning!  If I would have stayed home I would probably have cleaned the bathrooms or washed windows or something...it was better for me to be at work...I have an office job...!

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618
    edited July 2010

Cmksocal, I went back to work on Monday after my lumpectomy on Friday.  It was a matter of necessity.  I think if I were in the same spot now, I would take a bit of time off again.  I went back to work the day after my Corre needle BX last year and really regretted it.  I was extremely uncomfortable.

You can have recon after lumpectomy and it should be covered by your insurance.  I have had two recon surgeries, and may opt for at least one more.  Between the lx and rads, the size difference was about 50% larger on the unaffected side.  getting balance back (or at least closer) can do wonders for your self esteem.

• kad22
    kad22 Member Posts: 58
    edited July 2010

Jwatrlily  - you do have a hard decision to make. It really is up to you and you alone but you will make the right decision for yourself in the end - your heart will let you know what you can handle.

I had a bi-mx at the age of 37 for a couple of reasons - the main one being that I am BRCA1 pos and both my mother and her twin sister had breast cancer very early in their lives also. I just wanted to make sure that I wouldn't be going back for biopsies all the time and having those worries. I am having reconstructive surgery done and so far it is going well as can be. Still going through chemo but because of no lymph node involvement I do not need rads which is good!

We each are different and deep down know what choices we need to make for ourselves. You are strong and will get through this whichever decision you decide. Make sure to visit these sites often the inspiration from these women is incredible!

Kelli

• Luah
    Luah Member Posts: 626
    edited July 2010

Jwaterlily:  I didn't know my hormonal status at time of surgery, and found the lump vs. mast decision to be very difficult, especially as I had two tumours. What swayed me was my resistance to not fix what ain't broke (whole of breast), and my very knowledgeable and competent BS, in whom I had a lot of confidence.  She felt she could remove all the affected tissue and still leave me with a reasonable cosmetic outcome. (She did.) She also said that contrary to conventional thought, lumpectomy plus radiation is very aggressive local treatment.  That said, no one dies of cancer in the breast. It's dangerous when it spreads, which is what chemo is for.

There are so many different variables to consider -- both physiological and psychological. Go with your gut and never look back.

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671
    edited July 2010

jwatrlily :  I am so sorry you are having to go through this. Personally, I did not have a choice.  MX was my only option and then, only after having chemo first.  However, I have a dear friend who's mother went through years and years of having lumps removed, and at 70 years old, upon finding cancer again, finally opted to have a full mastectomy.  I am not a dr and this is such a personal choice so it's really difficult to advise another but I will tell you what my choice was.  For me, radiation sounded worse then chemo or the mastectomy and I didn't need radiation because there weren't any nodes involved and when they went in, the cancer was completely dead from the chemo.  I am young and I wanted to still have a breast for vanity, for my marriage and to still feel like myself.  I opted for MX, immediate/delayed reconstruction so that I could wake up with a breast.  Except for a long expansion process and having to live with a hard expander for a few months, I feel that my doctors did a great job in removing all of the cancer and my hopes is that it will never return.  Radiation can cause complications down the road if you want to have reconstruction.  I personally got 3 opinions at 3 different hospitals before I made my decision.  I have no regrets and I think doing this really helped me.  Join a support group if any are offered in your area to get other women's experiences too.  You have come to a great place where many women have had many different experiences.  I hope that this helps.

Mary

• MBJ
    edited July 2010
    Gill:  My husband and I were looking for a place to move to that had a moderate climate, an active arts community (music, theater, etc), affordable housing and a place where we could both continue to make a good living: he is a writer and can work anywhere and I am an interior decorator.   We were also looking for a place that had both city life and rural life, good public transportation, lots of different types of restaurants and food options.  Funny thing is, we are now considering moving to the UK!  I guess we will figure it out after I am done with all of my surgeries and procedures.  Thanks for your input! 
  • gillyone
    gillyone Member Posts: 495
    edited July 2010

MBJ - England is so expensive!!! But I love going back to visit family and friends. Moscow doesn't sound big enough for your requirements. Coming from England where a "city" is a "CITY" it's hard to call a place with a population of 25k a city. If you ever want to come visit to check out the possibilities let me know. That would be fun!!

• Titan
    edited July 2010

So..how is everyone doing with where they are in their treatments?   We are all at different stages of treatment..some just diagnosed, some in it right now, some dealing with the after treatment physical and emotional situations...

I count how many months I am out..16 months on July 20th...I feel and hope the further out the better...sometimes I forget that from Feb. 09 until Oct. 09 ever happened...sometimes it is there in my face...I see the onc in Aug..last saw him in May...it seems like FOREVER since I last saw him and I have to say I like it...it is true that the farther you get away from it the easier it is to forget.  honestly..if I didn't come on here I probably wouldnt think of it much at all..but I still NEED to hear how everyone is doing and what they are going through..I'm not ready to let it go and I don't think I should...

I have a co-worker that has had ovarian cancer for the past 12 years...she had been doing pretty well but now they have called in Hospice...i called her home today..said I appreciated her supporting me during my treatments...I was freaking out about taking 4 taxols and she said that she had probably had 100 taxols over the 12 years...I felt like a baby!  I didn't want to call her crying because I just hated it when people called crying about me.   Cancer sucks.

• retrievermom
    edited February 2011

Gilly:  Someday I'll head to the dog shows in Lewiston and look you up. 

Jwater:  Radiation after lumpectomy and radiation after mx are different scenarios. Size of tumor, nodes, all sort of issues will factor into your decisions.  What you gather here is, I hope, helpful, but it is anecdotal.  You docs should be able to tailor advice to your particular circumstances and give you stats and info that address your individual situation.  

A lot of the stuff that seemed so big at the time has diminished as I am left thankful to be alive and feel pretty good.  My DH is thankful I can do the things I enjoy, rubs my fuzzy head, and supports the decisions I made.  But he said if I had rejected chemo, he would have tried to talk me into it, as he saw it as another insurance policy (not guarantee).

• Titan
    edited July 2010

Retriever mom..my Dh loved rubbing my fuzzy head also!  I would take my wig of in private with friends and let them all have at it..!  I think some of the guy friends thought it was kind of sexy..oh well..whatever it takes to get you through....

• riley702
    riley702 Member Posts: 575
    edited July 2010

Titan, I just finished chemo July 8th. It was nearly 6 months because it was a clinical drug trial. I get my post chemo scans, etc. next week, then meet with my onc and BS about the first week of Aug. to discuss surgery.

It's great having the chemo done, but I'm a little antsy about the surgery. I want a BMX because I don't want to wonder for the next 30 years if it's coming back, and that will drastically improve the chance it won't. I'm hoping my surgeon's OK with that, but he has a reputation for wanting to spare the breast if at all possible. Ordinarily, that would be a good thing, but it's not what I want, so I dread either arguing or finding another surgeon.

• MBJ
    edited July 2010

Gillyone:  We have been to London twice now, and it seems comparable or less expensive then Los Angeles, then there is Ireland which is a bit less, and we are also considering France.  But we keep going back to London as our favorite.  Except for the weather.  Might be too gloomy for us coming from sunny California.  Just in the dreaming stages right now.  We liked that Idaho had water, mountains, city life, and that the cost of living was less but that you could earn quite a bit like here in Los Angeles.  If we still decide to come check it out, I will look you up and we can have a proper tea or go for a pint!  I have never been before and it looks quite lovely.

Titan:  I finished 6 x TC on March 1st, had a single MX on March 20th with an expander put in and I am now waiting for my exchange which takes place on August 19th.  Still dealing with "chemo brain", bad hair, and general lethargy, but my eyelashes are growing in and I have (almost) all of my eyebrows back.  I think that I will always participate here.  After the surgery, everyone in my life has moved on but here, the women get it, they know where you are at, and they know the worry and the concerns and the aggravations.

riley:  I got 3 opinions before choosing my dr's but all three left it up to me as to whether I wanted to keep my other breast or not. 

• MBJ
    edited July 2010
    retrivermom:  I agree with you--there are so many factors that go into the decision making process and it is a very individual decision.  My husband is constantly rubbing my head--says it feels like a dog LOL!  He was quite relieved when I agreed to the chemo and now that I am on the other side, I am relieved, too.  It saved my life.
  • sugar77
    sugar77 Member Posts: 1,328
    edited July 2010

MBJ - maybe you should consider Canada...somewhere like Toronto if you like restaurants, shows, shopping, etc.  We get four distinct seasons and it's a great place to live.

Sherri 

• MBJ
    edited July 2010

Sherri:  You live close to the only place  I have ever been to in Canada which is Toronto!  I went there when I was 11 and it was beautiful.  I learned to water ski there.  My parents are from Michigan and the story goes that my grandfather used to bootleg liquor from Canada during prohibition!  I have many French ancestors from Canada, too, according to Ancestry.com.  I have tried to convince my husband that Canada might be a great place to move, but for some reason he isn't interested. 

• Pamelajo
    Pamelajo Member Posts: 124
    edited July 2010

My decision was simple. 

I had had Hodgkins previously, and because of that treatment, the dr's said I got breast cancer.  Soooo, having gone through chemo and radiation before, I chose to have the double mastectomy at age 39.  No discussion.  Take them off, they aren't as important as my life.  Didn't want to leave anything on there that could get a lump.

Unfortunately, it returned in the scar tissue and in an area my breast surgeon didnt get to, so I get to go through all this again.  Yay........but, this time, it will be gone.  I feel it in my heart and soul.

Good luck making your decision.  I wish I had advice to give you, but it's each persons own personal battle and choice.

oh, and I went back to work 3 wks after bi lateral mastectomy and also went back 3 wk after lat flap surgery.  I tolerate pain well and my job helps me stay sane :)

• gillyone
    gillyone Member Posts: 495
    edited July 2010

Retreivermom - hope you make it up here some time.

MJB - you are a very adventurous couple!!

• Lynn18
    Lynn18 Member Posts: 284
    edited July 2010

I was just diagnosed at age 46.  I am now doing chemotherapy, 4 AC then 12 taxol.  I am still kind of in shock.  Everything has happened so fast.  I have learned a lot from reading on this forum.  I think I have learned more here than from my doctors..

Lynn

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618
    edited July 2010

Welcome Lynn18,  have you had any surgery, or will you have rads?

• Lynn18
    Lynn18 Member Posts: 284
    edited July 2010

I will have surgery after I finish my chemotherapy, which be probably be this fall?  And then I will have rads, according to my doctor.  Thank you for the welcome!

• MBJ
    edited July 2010

Lynn:  You should do really well having chemo first.  I did the same and it killed everything before they took it out!  You are correct:  You will learn more on these boards then any dr could ever tell you!  Welcome to our little group.

Gill:  I guess we are adventurous.  We both just love to travel and except for our two old cats, we don't have children and we don't really have much to hold us here.  We started taking trips out of the country 3 years ago and now we can't stop!  Of course it helps that we have friends to visit and my husband can either write off expenses or have them paid for.  I guess we both just have gypsy hearts!

• MBJ
    edited July 2010

Avastin latest news:  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/19/avastin-breast-cancer_n_651070.html

I just saw this and thought I would share with those who were considering this drug.