Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Calling all TNs

Comments

• riley702
    riley702 Member Posts: 575
    edited October 2010
    As Soon As Possible, dirikuwanita.
  • Titan
    Titan Member Posts: 1,313
    edited October 2010

Oh man Laura Jane..let's hope that they schedule that freaking surgery NOW..get that S*8hi*8t out of there..sorry to swear but dang it...they have let you go long enough...whatever..we are with you..

And welcome to the new ladies in the TN club...glad to meet you! More people to support Laura Jane through this crap.

Angelisa..good luck with your surgery....like I said above..get that junk out of there...I know that there are reasons to have chemo b-4 surgery...but honestly I think you all will feel better when it is cut out...just the feeling of not having the lump inside you anymore does wonders for your soul...

• Claire82
    Claire82 Member Posts: 490
    edited October 2010

Just curious - How many of us had chemo first - then surgery?

My BS wanted surgery immediately - I had an mx then 4 weeks later started chemo.

• riley702
    riley702 Member Posts: 575
    edited October 2010

Chemo, then mastectomy, now starting rads.

• HeidiToo
    HeidiToo Member Posts: 965
    edited February 2011

My onc and surgeon both prefered adjuvent to neoadjuvent in my case.

• Titan
    edited October 2010

I was diagnosed on a Wed., had my lumpectomy on Friday..good thing for me and my BS...he would have had to peel me off the wall if I had to wait any longer...I wanted him to cut the damn thing out in his office..right then..I hated that thing..it was right there..I could feel it and see it under my skin..dang I hated that thing...sorry I'm rambling..but this is bringing back bad memories.

Heidi..aren't you watching your Patriots?  I hope you beat Miami..I don't like them anymore either because LeBron is there.

I think I'm a little hateful tonight aren't I...sorry..this thing with Laura Jane is just pissing me off.

• HeidiToo
    edited February 2011
    Titan- d*mn right I am! Didn't like the "Pink Parade" at halftime though. I think the Stage 4 gals have it right; everyone wants to cheer the "survivors"-- no one wants to hear about the ones that actually die from this disease. Too much of a downer for many. I just read their thread on this and couldn't agree more with these gals.
  • laurajane
    laurajane Member Posts: 305
    edited October 2010

I just can't get up the nerve to look at the Stage 4. I want to hang with you guys for a bit longer.

The best thing that happened to me today was: 

On a different note- I shared the whole canning experience with my daughter today and tonight. We just finished eating homemade eggplant parmesan. Let's see after the fabulous bottle of $80.00 wine we shared while we were canning the tomatoes, I figure the 7 quarts we ended up with were worth about $18.00 dollar a piece.  Nahh!  What's that commercial? Priceless! 

• retrievermom
    retrievermom Member Posts: 321
    edited February 2011

Packing up to get out of town.  It's my DS's 21st birthday, and I've designed my trip to see him in NJ and my mom in Va.  I'm glad to have my new hair color; the old look screamed cancer to me (not anyone else).  I spray on straightener, pull sections as I blow dry, run goo thru it, and it kindof stands up.  Man, the curls are tight.

Laurajane:  Don't go away from this group.  I love the wine story.  I like the focus on "best thing."  Having been to a funeral of a work colleague who died of a sudden heart attack last week, I want to count joys.

• kittycat
    kittycat Member Posts: 1,155
    edited October 2010

Laurajane - I am so sorry to hear about your tumor growing!  UGHHH!!!  I HATE THIS DISEASE WITH EVERY BIT OF MY SOUL!!!!!  I hope they can get you in ASAP for surgery.  Push for this week!  When they found my 2nd set of lumps on an ultrasound on Friday, I was in surgery that following Tuesday (and again the next Tuesday after they dx me again with BC to get clear margins and lymph nodes)!  All of that in a week and a couple days.  It can be done!!! 

Laurajane - Question....  what did you mean by 4 types of TNBC.  This has me scared.  I'm on Taxol, too.  I hope it's working for me.  The removed my tumors and got clear margins, but it is still scary!  I AM PRAYING HARD FOR YOU!!!!!!!!

• TiffanyF4
    TiffanyF4 Member Posts: 104
    edited October 2010
    Laurajane I am so sorry you are going through this again.  I am proud of you for sticking to your guns about knowing your body. We have to be our own advocate! Keep us posted.
  • starling
    starling Member Posts: 34
    edited October 2010

Laurajane - I am praying for you everyday! I am so sad you are going through this. There is so much in the news about new treatments and so much hope for all us TN's. {{{HUGS}}}. Please stay on this thread and keep us informed how you are doing.

• Jwatrlily
    Jwatrlily Member Posts: 65
    edited October 2010

Laurajane, sending huge hugs and many prayers your way that God will replace your fear with a calm sense of peace and the knowledge that He is in charge.  I'm sorry this is such a hard road for you but you have already shown us you are strong and we will all help you keep a positive attitude.  I know it is soooo hard and that is understandable (I think we are all dealing with fear for each other that we've come to know and ourselves).  We will just lift you up in prayer.

I see my surgeon this afternoon for another followup.  I'm fortunate and blessed to have her and she is taking such good care of me.  I did my breast check in the shower again and while I don't take total comfort in that, I found nothing.  However, my tumor that got me diagnosed was deep, back against the pectoral muscle practically, so, I never did feel it.  It was picked up on routine mammogram.  I'm one of those unfortunate ones who has never felt a tumor to know what they feel like.  Thankfully though mine was small, Stage I, node negative.  But, I've got all the other things like Grade 3 and Triple Negative to deal with.

I checked out nosurrender that was mentioned here and it is a great place to go too and there is encouragement galore there for Trip. Neg's.

Juanita  

• Luah
    Luah Member Posts: 626
    edited October 2010
    Laurajane:  I wish I could add something helpful to what all the others have said, but I'm drawing a complete blank.  Just want you to know that I'm thinking of you also, and sending good thoughts your way.  I admire your determination and I'm sure it will serve you well as you get through surgery and begin a new treatment plan that can kick your cancer's butt one and for all.
  • JenC
    JenC Member Posts: 186
    edited October 2010

laurajane - so sorry to hear your news but hopefully they will get you into surgery quickly and will be able to remove all the crappy cancer cells and you can move on to recovering.  Thoughts and prays are with your.  BIG HUGE ((((((HHHHHUUUUUGGGGSSSSS)))))))).l

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671
    edited October 2010
    (((((((((Laurajane))))))))):  I haven't been on at all and I woke up and read all of these posts and I agree with everyone above.  Push for surgery ASAP, stay calm, think positive, Carboplatin is very effective for mets so it might be the one that works for you.  I will be so happy the day they announce that testing prior to strting chemo to ensure you have one that works is the standard of care here. You can order tests from a very expensive couple of dr's in the US and also from Germany but not too many dr's take it seriously.  You have an amazing spirit and it's going to be a hard fight but we are all here with you and helping you every step of the way.  I agree with not having different stages especially for TN's because it's always agressive and always scary, but that doesn't mean that it can't be beat.  Lovely story about canning tomatoes and drinking a nice bottle of wine!  Keep us posted on what's going on and let us know if there is anything else we can do.  Are there any Oncoplastic surgeons in your area or on your insurance plan?  It might give you a bit of an edge with your surgery.  I had a turmor very close and starting to grow towards the chest wall and my surgeon cut into the wall to addiitonally clear the margins, something a regular BS never considered.
  • MonikaV
    MonikaV Member Posts: 148
    edited October 2010

Laurajane: (((((( MANY HUGS)))))) Think positive ! I have a lady on my support group with the same experience as yours. She had surgery and is doing well. Don't be discouraged. We are here for you. Monika

• Swanny
    Swanny Member Posts: 118
    edited October 2010

laurajane - so sorry to hear your news.   I think we are all scared to death most of the time - I know it is always in the back of my mind.  But I think we have to keep on fighting with whatever tools we have.  I am not a very religious person but I will pray for you and I plan on us being on this website together 10 years from now.  I know everyone will support you and if you need anything - don't hesitate to ask us.  Too bad we didn't all live in the same area where we could really help each other out.  Take care and {{{HUGS}}}}!

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618
    edited October 2010

LauraJane, prayers and hugs coming your way!

I was very lucky.  From the time I showed my GP my lump until it was out was 3 weeks.  Then 3 weeks later I started chemo to get what might have been lurking, then when that was done they zapped me with rads.  I think they did it in that order to not have to deal with killing the tumor.  I really don't know, but I remember going in for the BX and the surgeon didn't like it at all at that time as he was taking the BX.  He must have suspected the evil TN agression.  I am glad my drs worked to get it out ASAP, and I pray that they will do the same for you LauraJane.

• tatasista
    tatasista Member Posts: 7
    edited October 2010

I am 49 and was just diagnosed as Triple Neg. Breast Cancer...My mom died 14 years ago from Breast Cancer...(She was ER positive) go figure...Because of my family history etc. I decided for the BiLateral Mastectomy which I had on Sept. 24....Good thing because the "uneffected" breast had Paget's disease of the nipple. Fortunately none of my lymph nodes were involved and it is stage 2...The overall grade and numbers stink but I was never very good in school so why be shocked about this. lol. Now I will begin the Chemo soon...I am a bit nervous about the Chemo but really am ready to get it started, done, and over with....I know it will be a long haul so I will have to pull up my big girl panties and fight like a girl....As newly diagnosed, I am finding these posts very helpful...Keep on fighting on....

• sugar77
    sugar77 Member Posts: 1,328
    edited October 2010

Welcome tatasista!

• MicheleS
    MicheleS Member Posts: 196
    edited October 2010

{{{{LauraJane}}}}  I'm very active at NS.  There's someone there who is a good resource regarding treatment options.  I'll post the link below.  Also, I'm med school faculty and I can do some digging for you if you want.  Just PM me your stats and I can email a friend/colleague of mine who is an onc.  XXOO

www.nosurrenderbreastcancersurvivorforum.org

• HeidiToo
    edited February 2011
    Titan- aside from the Pats kicking Miami's *ss and breaking all kinds of records... Bill Belichick smiled last night. That has to be yet another record!
  • laurajane
    laurajane Member Posts: 305
    edited October 2010

Tanista- This site has been so helpful. All of these lovely women have helped me more than I can put into words. I find myself waiting to get home just to read the posts. There isn't anyone that can understand what we are going through other than all of those who are going throught it. I am so, so, so sorry about the loss of your mom. I know what you are going through is so scary to say the least. I've now done AC and Taxol (only 7out of 12) AC is rough not to scare you but just know you can get through it. There are so many things you can take for the site effects (SE's) that are so helpful. Taxol light dose has been very tolerable to me. I have even been able to work again.

Thank-you all of you for all of the sweet messages and helpful advise, prayers, well wishes etc.For the record I am not BRCA positive. I checked out the no surrender site and am still waiting to be approved.  I found out I get to have surgery next Tuesday. I can't wait to get this cancer out of me. I still meet with my surgeon on Thursday so I will find out more then. My ONC said it would definintly be a MX due to the size of my tumor. I think they are going to schedule a MRI to see if and where my cancer has spread. My left arm is just aching it seems to get worse each day. Tuesday isn't soon enough for me. I guess I need to go with the flow. I was a zombie today and blew off starting my landscape job. I hope to get my s**t together and start it tomorrow.

The best thing that happened to me today was: My daughter stayed the night last night and we canned apples today.  I am making home-made chicken and noodles for dinner and apple crisp for dessert and yes I will be having a big scoop of vanilla ice cream with it. A sinful meal but as cozy as you can get. A meal like this to me is like a great big hug. Mmmmm!

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited October 2010

Laurajane - sounds like we all need to get on a plane and head your way for dinner.  Glad to hear the surgery is Tuesday and that they are moving quickly.  More (((hugs))) your way.

Tatasista - welcome, I know you didn't want to find yourself here, but the women here are wonderful!!!

hheidi/titan - I'll have to throw a little football fun out there- I am a lifelong SAINTS fan!!! 

• sugar77
    sugar77 Member Posts: 1,328
    edited October 2010

Laurajane - hearing you've got a surgery date for next week is one of the best things I've heard all day! I've been thinking about you.

Lol...the best thing that happened to me today was I got dinner cooked and on the table in less than 15 minutes and nobody complained about anything.  Gotta love that! Sometimes it's the little things in life....

Have a nice evening ladies. I'm looking forward to Dancing with the Stars.

• Titan
    edited October 2010

Good Laura Jane..good to get that cancer out of there!   You will feel so much better...Sometimes they talk on the other threads about the lymph nodes doing their job in keeping cancer from going elsewhere in your body..hopefully that is just what your lymphs are doing...There are other women on here with large tumors that don't have mets...that could easily be you..the chemo may not have worked that well on your freaking tumor but it may have worked elsewhere..that's my story and I'm sticking to it!  And your meals sound wonderful...I'm a big comfort food fan myself!  Noodles are my absolute favorite food..with mashed potatoes and gravy..maybe some meat but it is the starches I like so well. 

Jenn..saw Drew Breeze on 60 minutes..what a nice guy!  Good luck to the Saints this year! I'm a Browns fan..we've won one game so far..we are going on Sunday to the game in Cleveland..it should be fun...50 yard line seats..all we can eat and drink..for free...so I'm planning on enjoying it fully!  

Sorry..but Bill must have had gas..for him to smile..that's the only thing I can think of.

• HeidiToo
    edited February 2011

Well, as expected, I went for a haircut today and most of my lovely silver wound up on the salon floor. I'm bummed, as I really came to love it. Now, it's just a plain old brown wrapper again, with a few clusters of gray.

Who'd have thought the day would come when I'd miss my gray hair! I really hate the thought of going back to coloring it; it feels so much better without the color and perm. Almost feel silly talking about it, given the bigger picture.

• kittycat
    kittycat Member Posts: 1,155
    edited October 2010

laurajane - good luck on your surgery next Tuesday.  We will all be thinking about you and sending you positive vibes!!!  (((hugs)))

• cc4npg
    cc4npg Member Posts: 438
    edited October 2010

Laurajane:  I'd like to chime in to everyone's well wishing.  I have surgery tomorrow, and will try to get back on to see how things went with you.  I've been praying for you.  Tuesday will be here before you know it!  On another note, since it appears you haven't been able to post on the No Surrender site, I wondered if one of these other ladies could post your question to Edge while you are waiting???  I would gladly do it myself if my surgery weren't tomorrow.  My suggestion would be to pm the post you'd like to place to whoever can do it, and then just have them copy/paste it.  This way, maybe you could get some advice prior to your surgery and have a little more peace of mind.  Several of us, I've noticed, have recommended Edge on No Surrender.