Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Calling all TNs

Comments

• tatasista
    tatasista Member Posts: 7
    edited October 2010

I had my follow up appointment yesterday after my bilateral mastactomy and they took out the 100 staples...It feels much better and less pull when moving my arms. Just wondering if the numbness gets better or is this my new normal? My chest feels sooooooo very weird.

• TiffanyF4
    TiffanyF4 Member Posts: 104
    edited October 2010

Laurajane  I was so pleased to read that you have a surgery date for next Tue. Get that sucker out of there!!!!  Oh and your yummy dinner is just the comfort food you need on a fall evening with your daughter ENJOY!

tatasista  glad you are feeling better after your appt.  Your chest will feel strange for a while because of the nerve endings being cut but it gets better over time. It of course will never feel the same but it gets better. My best advise to you is to do as much movement as you possible can and keep your posture straight it will prevent you from ending up in physical therapy.

• HeidiToo
    HeidiToo Member Posts: 965
    edited February 2011

laurajane- I would gladly post your questions on No Surrender as per cc4npg's suggestion. Just PM me if you'd like to do it.

Titan - I am *pissed*. You know why.Trading Moss. WTF?

• tatasista
    tatasista Member Posts: 7
    edited October 2010

Tiffany

Thanks for the posture reminder..I was just saying to my friend the other day as we were walking through the grocery store "remind me to stand up straight" I was never really a "sloucher" but I have noticed my center of gravity and the way I am walking is a bit different. I certainly did not even think of that...It is all quite a process and adjustment. Glad to hear the chest will feel better. I am moving. Today I was so sick of sitting around doing NOTHING I put on some Aretha Franklin and danced with my dogs...The dogs thought I had lost my mind. LOL

• MonikaV
    MonikaV Member Posts: 148
    edited October 2010

Tatasista - Welcome.

laurajane - Will be thinking and praying for you on Tuesday. What time is the procedure scheduled? I will gather some friends to lift you up . 

• Titan
    Titan Member Posts: 1,313
    edited October 2010

CC4PNG..good luck with your surgery!  Let us know how you are doing..will be thinking of YOU!

Hey Monika!  How are you doing?   Done with chemo...are you getting better every day?  You will..

Heidi..asked the DH about Moss..he said that Moss wanted to to to Minnesota...He wasn't getting any balls thrown to him so it was what he wanted...Have you guys heard the latest on LeBron James..now he is saying that Ohioans don't like him because of his RACE..blah...that's a real WTF.....I think that he isn't the "idol" in Miami that he was in Ohio...I REALLY love sports but to call a basketball player the "King" and idolize him or her is beyond my comprehension anyway....I honestly feel that we ladies with BC are the ones that are in the REAL game..

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited October 2010

tatasista - the numbness will get better, but I think it's more of you getting used to the feeling or lack thereof.....

• Titan
    edited August 2013

Tatasista...soo..your dogs didn't give you any R E S P E C T   huh?  I can just imagine you with your broom or duster dancing around your house...funny stuff..

Juanita probably uses her iron as a mike..just kidding Juanita! 

• Titan
    edited October 2010

Oh..and Sugar..my gosh..where did you get all that hair? You have some serious hair now!

• sugar77
    sugar77 Member Posts: 1,328
    edited August 2013

Yes Titan, I have quite a bit of hair now but I think the avatar photo is cropped so close everything looks big, i.e, my head, my face, my nose...and my hair! LOL

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited October 2010

Sugar - My hair is about where yours is now.  Is your hair really thick?  I had thick hair before chemo, but it seems to be much thicker now.  I'm repeating myself - I so need to update my picture. 

• sugar77
    edited October 2010

Jenn - yes, my hair is very thick just as it was before chemo. You should update your photo so we can see how you look now!

• Swanny
    Swanny Member Posts: 118
    edited October 2010

The best thing that happened to me today...  I went to work but was not feeling well so I left at 3:30 and cam home to take a nap.  I love naps.  Now I just need to sleep tonight so I can attend a meeting tomorrow at 9 am.  I hope tomorrow I can eat a little more :) 

• retrievermom
    retrievermom Member Posts: 321
    edited February 2011

Heidi:  Was thinking of you (and others) as I drove north on I-95 last night, passing exit to Gettysburg.  No more runaways, I hope.  Is the Stud-man calmed down?

Best thing happened to me today was that I got to spend time with DS on campus and just be Mom a bit.  My "baby" is 21 now.

Sugar:  Adorable photo!  

Laurajane:  Thinking of you.  Sending hugs.

• kittycat
    kittycat Member Posts: 1,155
    edited October 2010

jenn - yes, you need to post a recent photo of yourself!  I would love to see the hair.  Mine started growing in around #6 of weekly Taxol.  It is very fine and gray!  Yikes! 

I can't wait - 3 more weeks and I'm done with chemo.  But, then I start rads after that.  Then, the hysterectomy/oopherectomy.  I was thinking today about getting my nip surgery.  My BS might have to do some work on me before that is done because they took a some tissue and capsule out of me, when I got dx again.  So, I'm a bit smaller and have a little missing on the roundness on the lower side of my right breast.  When I read my path report again, I realized they took an area about 4x3x1 cm out (along with a couple other areas around 1-2 cm).  The IDC tumor was only 0.6 cm, but there were little bits of vascular invasion and DCIS in the other!  Yikes!!!

• HeidiToo
    edited February 2011

retrievermom-Yes! We had a *great* time!!! The weather was beautiful and the horses behaved beautifully also. I think the crash & burn incident was really a function of Stud's mouth being sore. I hadn't realized it had been two years since they were floated (cancer year brought my life to parade rest for awhile). I usually get them done annually.

Last night I went to the Delaware Breast Cancer Coalition's meeting for their annual big fund-raiser (Southern Lights for Living). It's the only group (semi- pink rah-rah) I actually feels is worth getting involved with. 87 cents on every dollar goes back into BC programs benefiting the patients. I will probably be a model for  the program (not sure why they do that, but hey, it's something) and help wherever else I can. Also had another newly diagnosed TN contact me with her fears while there(I am a Peer Mentor but "business" is slow since tnbc is less common).

Off to Abbott's Mill now to teach about Native American Delmarva (Lenape Indians).

Have a great day everyone!

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618
    edited October 2010

I had the thick hair after chemo explained to me that your hair is always growing (Falling out) and replacing, but after chemo, the hair is all growing until the cycle gets caught up with itself.  It sounded logical at the time.

• Luah
    Luah Member Posts: 626
    edited October 2010

Retrievermom:  So nice to hear you got to spend time with your DS on campus.  I know how special that can be!  I also have a 21 yo DS; his campus is only about an  hour away, so occasionally I pop up there and take him out to lunch. My younger DS is 18 and will be off to Whistler next week to ski and work for the season.  He'll be a little farther away!  :(    At least we have the (Cdn) Thanksgiving weekend together - so looking forward to having all the family together, even all my in-laws!

• Lynn18
    Lynn18 Member Posts: 284
    edited October 2010

Swanny:  How nice to take a nap.  I have had company and havn't been able to take naps, but they are wonderful,

Heidi: Good to hear how you are involved with the Coalition. I know you will be a great peer mentor.

Interesting to hear how everyone has thicker hair after chemo.  I have never had thick hair but I would love to.  It is great to have just a little hair coming in.

Laurajane:  I had apple pie for breakfast, yum...

• lrm216
    lrm216 Member Posts: 534
    edited October 2010

Wish I got thicker hair back after chemo!  I have always had fine, limp and straight hair that liked to do nothing - and that's exactly what I got back after chemo.  Not one curl - not even a wave.  Same ole, same ole.  Oh well, at least I got it back - better stop complaining.

• sugar77
    edited October 2010

Luah - I hope you have a nice Thanksgiving with all your family.  We're supposed to have terrific weather this weekend. 

My hair is about the same thickness as before chemo but it's now curly. That's the only difference for me.

• kad22
    kad22 Member Posts: 58
    edited October 2010

Haven't been on here for quite some time - 4 pgs to catch up on!!

Laurajane - sorry to hear about your setback and glad to hear surgery is scheduled for this coming week! Prayers and warms thoughts are sent your way!

Hello to everyone that is new to this thread - hate that so many of us have to go through this - it's just not fair!

Luah & Sugar77 & anyone from Canada - Happy Thanksgiving this weekend - enjoy!!

((HUGS))

• laurajane
    laurajane Member Posts: 305
    edited October 2010

Well my surgeon said without sugery I might have 5 months, with surgery and chemo maybe 1 yr 2 if I'm lucky. This really sucks.

• laurajane
    laurajane Member Posts: 305
    edited October 2010

I guess with the lymph invasion. I am hoping to get an MRI before I opt for surgery if it has spread as aggressively as they think I will live the next couple of months to it's fullest. and skip the chemo and surgery. I am also requesting the blood test. I wish to god they would have done all of this last May. I am in a state of absolute shock. Small town doctors. Hard to believe I am dating am unbelievably wealthy man for 4 years that cares more about remodeling his condo in Utah than to be with me when I get this news. LOL. What can I say to my son and daughter. Last night I came home after a fabulous dinner with my wanna be boyfriend. Wow! He went soft after my wig fell off. I came in crying about that and everything else and my daughter proceeded to explain to me how hair doesn't mean anything and she cut all of her waist length hair off right in front of me and had it shaved today. She is so strong. She is really right. Who cares about hair anyway. I think I want to live life to its fullest and not waste time recovering from surgery and living the last year of my life on chemo. I want to carve stone and create beautiful paintings and landscapes and love my kids and run with my grandson.

• lrm216
    lrm216 Member Posts: 534
    edited October 2010

Laurajane:

You DO NOT have an expiration date written on you - any place!  Please do not lose hope, there is always something to try after the surgery - and that can prove successful.  I am just so sick to my stomach that you have to go through all this again.  I hate this disease and what we have to endure.  We are here for you - each step of this new journey. 

Linda

• MonikaV
    edited October 2010

Hi Titan, I am doing well . Getting ready for my bilateral MX October25th. I finally found doctors that I feel comfortable with .  =) Hoping everything will go smothly.

• MonikaV
    edited October 2010

Laurajane: Please do not be discouraged!!!!! I agree with LRM216 . We do not have an expiration date. God is in control of our life and through him all things are possible. Trust. I will keep lifting you up in prayer ,if that is okay with you.

• Luah
    Luah Member Posts: 626
    edited October 2010

Laurajane: I am so very sorry you got such devastating news from your surgeon. But I agree with the others. Don't give up. What does your oncologist say? Can you consider another opinion? Is there a trial you can join?  What about the PARPs?  I can only imagine in my darkest moments how overwhelming this must be for you. Your daughter sounds like an absolute gem!  I hope you can draw comfort from your family, and put a plan in place.  (((((((HUGS))))))))

• Lynn18
    Lynn18 Member Posts: 284
    edited October 2010

Laurajane:  WTF I don't see how a doctor can tell you how much "time" you have left.  Even if a person is stage 4, doctors cannot predict what will happen with them.  Lots of people have had lymph invasion.  Also, if you havn't had a MRI or scan how do they know what is going on? 

Please consider getting a second and third opinion before you make any decisions.  Maybe it would be better to go out of town for a second opinion.  Please don't give up!

• HeidiToo
    edited August 2013

laurajane- My God, I don't know what to say. I am sick reading your last two posts. I can not imagine what you are feeling right now (or maybe, I can imagine too well, since it is all our greatest nightmare).

I hope, with a bit more time to think, you will regain some of your balance, perspective and sense of hope. The others are right; you are not a statistic. This website bears evidence of many women who have gone on to beat the odds, despite dim and terrifying prognosis. I do wonder about what you have been told in the absence of corroboration (MRI, etc.) I don't understand this.

Try to hold on to positive thought, laurajane, and find comfort in it if you can. Your daughter is amazing. I wish you peace, hope and comfort in this troubled time.

love, Heidi