Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Calling all TNs

Comments

• cc4npg
    cc4npg Member Posts: 438
    edited August 2013

Best thing that happened to me 5 minutes ago:  I got my final pathology!  For the first time in over 2 months, I got good news.  I had bilateral because I'm BRCA2.  Right breast benign.  Left Breast clear margins. Lymph nodes (0/3) negative.  And now the best news... NO residual invasive component found in left breast.  The only thing found was an area .9 x .8 cm of DCIS in left breast!  So the biopsy took all of the IDC out?!  What does that mean?  I think I should still receive chemo, and they're referring me, but I think what it means is that the DCIS had just barely became invasive?

Praise be to God, the ultimate Healer.  I owe everything to Him.

I'm praying for you Laurajane... you've been on my mind a bunch.

• sugar77
    sugar77 Member Posts: 1,328
    edited October 2010

MBJ - I was wondering why you haven't been on in a while.  Did you go something nice for a vacation?

• retrievermom
    retrievermom Member Posts: 321
    edited February 2011

CC:  My surgeon was nervous after my surgery because she didn't find more cancer cells in the tissue that was removed.  Apparently, my biopsy got all the IDC.  My onc explained there could be cancer cells lurking regardless, and with being grade 3, I opted for chemo.  I wanted to have another line of defense. I think your news is very good.  Sounds as tho the DCIS had barely jumped the ductal barrier.  Hope you are recovering comfortably.

Also hoping to hear from you soon, laurajane.

Heidi:  Love the foxes.

If you want to watch something cute, go to fox13now.com, and search baby zuri.  A friend of mine works with the elephants at the zoo, and the vid clip shows him training a youngster.  As a dog trainer, I'm always fascinated by human-animal communication.

• kittycat
    kittycat Member Posts: 1,155
    edited October 2010

tatasister - I'm glad you got your drain removed.  Good luck on the chemo.  I am almost done with chemo  - thank God!  Do you know yet what regimen you'll get?

Laurajane - where are you?  what's going on???  I'm keeping positive thoughts for you!

Heidi - I love the fox photos!  I love animals!  :)

• HeidiToo
    HeidiToo Member Posts: 965
    edited February 2011

One of my "kids" being awakened from a nap in the pool cabana (his sister was on the shelf below):

• starling
    starling Member Posts: 34
    edited August 2013

Hi everyone - I've been away for the last week and had no internet the whole time. Talk about culture shock!.

I've been catching up on all the news and like all of you have Laurajane on my mind. I do hope we hear from her soon, I am praying that she has good things to report when she comes back online.

Those of you done with chemo or close to being done hip hip horray! I have 2 more taxol treatments over the next 3 weeks and I will join that happy group. In the meantime, I have had more SE's than I expected. Bone pain, bad taste in my mouth, and sensitivty on my fingers and feet. But its tolerable, and I'm getting through it. While I was away I had terrible bouts with diarehea, so bad it was bloody and crampy worse than childbirth. My onc says it wasn;t the taxol, but I probably got food poisoning. Luckily all subsided after 24 hours and I am ok now. 

HHeidi your pix are amazing!

Sugar I love your hair! Can't wait til I have hair again.

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited October 2010

heidi - LOVE the raccoon picture.  As a teenager I had an obsession with raccoons - I had stuffed animals, posters, figurines - everything I could find.  I just love raccoons!!!

Laurajane - wanted to let you know we're thinking of you......

MBJ - glad you had a wonderful vacation - much deserved.

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671
    edited October 2010

Laurajane:  Hope you are doing well and we all are looking forward to hearing from you soon!  Hugs!!!

Sugar & Jenn3:  My husband had business in London for 2 days and then we caught a flight just for some R&R to Madrid for a few days.  We really lucked out with the weather--It was raining in Madrid when we arrived and was supposed to continue until the day we left but it ended up being quite nice an sunny for most of our trip.  Went to all of the museums and sites and walked until our legs almost gave out.  Don't think we will ever go again as the tapas got pretty old pretty fast and other food options were limited and overpriced, but it was quite fun to just wander from tapas bar to tapas bar.  It used to be the law that if you served booze you had to provide food so you don't even have to pay for food, they put out free food everywhere.  Unfortunately, that mostly meant variations of ham and cheese though we did find a couple places that were far and above the rest.  While we were there we also had three or four servings of "hot chocolate" with churros which is more like melted chocolate pudding with doughnuts :).  Although they had a salad bar restaraunt, kind of like Sizzlers without the meat, fruit and vegetables seemed to be kind of non existant here.  Maybe Madrid is meant for tourists only and the locals eat differently, but seriously, it was all deep fried calamari and seafood, ham, bread, cheese with some occasional olives or chorizo thrown in.   We were so happy to come home and be able to have a variety of food choices.  Who knew I would get to a point where I just prefer eating healthily!!!  Great vacation though. 

• workmother
    workmother Member Posts: 13
    edited October 2010

So if my chemo is done why do I feel like crying? Can't shake the blues the past couple of days. I did DD AC 4 times, then DD Taxol 4 times. It was every other week. This would have been my chemo week. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled its over and I won't be wiped out on the couch all weekend, I just feel sad. I start rads in 10 days. Maybe thats it - because even though the chemo is over, ITs not over. But then i think it never will be.

I get the feeling people expect me to be so happy and back to normal now that chemo is done. But I look in the mirror each morning and see this bald person with half her eyelashes who looks a lot older than she did when this began in April and I think I'll never find myself again. Thanks for letting me dump...

• MBJ
    edited October 2010

Workmother:  I so know how you feel!  After chemo and surgery I looked in the mirror and didn't recognize myself and I thought I would never again be the same.  But eventually your hair grows back in, you gradually start getting your life back, and you are different but in so many ways and some are quite beautiful.  I look at my cancer as an opportunity to change my life for the better and I try to do this every day.  For the first time in my life I am living for myself and putting myself first and really taking care of myself and I consider this to be a great gift.  Hang in there, it does get easier and you have this message board to kick and scream and rage and cry and we will all know hwat you have been through and will be there to pick you back up when you need it.  Big, big hugs!

• lrm216
    lrm216 Member Posts: 534
    edited October 2010

Workmother:

Congrats on being done and also know that everything you are feeling has been felt by ALL OF US upon the end of chemo.  I felt exactly as you did, and after rads - the same way.  Everyone around me was rejoicing that it was all over and couldn't understand the total isolation and feelings I was experiencing.  If I was told to buck up and be happy it was all over one more time, I swear I was ready to kill the next person that said it.  They don't realize that it's NEVER over for us until..... and that we must live with this everyday of our lives while trying to incorporate some sort of "normal" back into our lives.  It does pass (to a degree) and things will get better for you, but their is no "schedule book" to go by.  I am 11 months out of chemo and will be a year out of rads in early december, but I still oftentimes feel lost - just totally lost.  I hate this freaking disease and all that it has done to each and every one of us.  Like having this disease and going through all the treatments wasn't enough, but then we are forced to live in a sort of "limbo" for the rest of our lives and always have this shadow on our shoulder.

Realizing that I certainly haven't perked you up any, I did want to convey that what you are feeling is ok - it's normal for us and this is the place to dump it.  We can take it and truly understand.

Wishing you sunnier tomorrows (and they will come),

Linda

• lrm216
    lrm216 Member Posts: 534
    edited October 2010

Oh Heidi - I love the picture - just looking at him is amazing- and so are you!

Laurajane:  Sending love, hugs and all good wishes for an easy recovery.  We are all anxiously waiting to hear from you.  Rest well and be well.

Linda

• sugar77
    sugar77 Member Posts: 1,328
    edited October 2010

Laruajane - sending you healing vibes. I hope you are doing well.

MBJ - oh, Spain sounds so nice! I went there with a friend for my 21st birthday in 1985. The paella was really good but I wasnt in Madrid.  We went along the Costa Del Sol and to Morocco. Those were the days....not a care in the world, except which disco we'd hit that night!

It's a beautiful sunny and warm fall day here in Toronto and I"m going to enjoy the day! 

• MBJ
    edited October 2010

Sugar:  That sounds like a great time!  We tried Paella one night only but I do think the town is laid out for summer partying and single people.  We will always have this great memory of when we went and how we usually were up long past the so called late night locals LOL!  We were also surprized at how many tourists were there this late in the season--Lots of Germans and Japanese and some French plus Spanish tourists, too.  We only ran into a couple of Americans while there and maybe a Canadian or two, too!

I love Toronto though I haven't been since I was 11.  I bet it's gorgeous in the fall!  Glad you are enjoying some warm weather this late in the season.

• Swanny
    Swanny Member Posts: 118
    edited October 2010

Workmother.  Unfortunately I feel the same way that you do.  I just finished chemo and can't shake the blues.  My friends took me out for dinner last night to celebrate finishing chemo but I don't have much of an appetitie and have heavy blues.  Like you, I thought I would be estatic to be done with chemo and I don't fear radiation like I feared chemo but these blues are horrible.  I went to my primary care physicians office a couple of weeks ago and all I could do was cry.  Between this damn disease and my mother passing I really am having some hard times.  She decided I was depressed (I am) and gave me some pills.  I hope they help.  I believe everyone else that this is normal after chemo, I am just biding my time and trying to stay sane until it goes away.  Here's to coming out on the other side.

• cc4npg
    edited August 2013
    workmother:  I haven't started chemo yet.  I just had my bilateral done, so I still have that to go and probably will have the DD A/C and DD Taxane.  Cancer changes a person.  In my opinion, the things you have to face and endure have to change you.  If moving into a new home, having a baby, going thru a divorce, or changing jobs are considered major life changes, how much moreso is going thru a cancer treatment??  I've been thru a bunch of stuff over 4 years (mother killed by petroleum truck, guardian over 2 gma's, family disowning, moving 3 times, divorce, birth, and more).  I can tell you right now I will never be the same person as before cancer.  I hope when all is done, I can find myself again in a different type of normal.  I already see things differently... I appreciate little things more... and the things I used to think were major don't seem like anything now.  The point is, you, your body, mind and spirit have been thru MAJOR TRAUMA.  You have probably survived the past several months mostly on adreneline, as most of us do I'm sure.  You "survived"... that's all your core could do... by focusing on what you had to do to get thru treatment.  Now, treatment is done and I would imagine your body, mind, spirit has slowed down enough for everything to catch up.  I believe every emotion we go through is another step in the journey to get to the other side where we can finally see light again.  You've been through Hell on earth, or that's what I'd probably liken it to, again I've only been through a small portion so far.  So... my opinion... you're perfectly normal.  From what these other ladies say, the things you're seeing will get better... hair, eyelashes, they'll come back.  Treat yourself to some good facial products, relax in the tub, buy some makeup maybe, and know you're not alone.  I pray daily for all of us.
  • navymom
    navymom Member Posts: 842
    edited October 2010

Yep, I can relate to feeling the blues.  My last chemo was December 1, 2009.  It seems the further out I get the worse things are.  I finally gave in and saw my Onc.  After lots of tears and telling my worries and troubles she said that my emotional state was probably due to my body being forced into menopause.  I am now on a trial of low dose estrogen.  Since I am a triple negative she felt it was safe.  So I am giving it a try.  I do believe that part of the post treatment blues are a sort of grieving process.  The accepting that are bodies have betrayed us and that no matter what we do to heal there will always be scars.  Both mental and physical.  The change in the way my face looks when I see myself in the mirror or in a recent photo is so upsetting.  The weight gain, the change in body shape and the change in my hair.  UHGGGGG!   It is all so much to deal with.  And then there is the huge issue of recurrence/mets/end of life.  The worry never goes away.  Period.  I have had many people say to me......You look so good!  So glad you are done with treatment......now you can get on with your life and not worry anymore!      ARE YOU KIDDING?????  They just don't get it.  But  I understand that.  As long as DH and my onc get it I am fine with that.   AND of course all of you gals Get IT.  Thank God for these boards!

Thanks for listening.

Navy

• Jwatrlily
    Jwatrlily Member Posts: 65
    edited August 2013

Hey everyone.  I have this thread set to deliver to my email so I am trying to keep up that way.  I too hope we hear something from Laurajane soon.  I've been praying for and worrying about her. 

I also am amazed at the number of you who get the blessing from your Oncologists to try L-Glutamine, all the herbals and other stuff to try for the SE's and the Vitamin D3 especially.  I asked my Onc about it Thursday and he frowned, shook his head no and said there hasn't been enough scientific studies during chemotherapy treatment indicating the real benefit from any of that, even the Vitamin D3 in preventing recurrence or aiding side effects during chemo and he could not and would not recommend any of it.  He said he will run a Vitamin D3 test on me while I am going through treatment towards the end, but he does not see a deficiency in women unless they live in the Northern Hemisphere.  I trust him completely as he attends multiple seminars every year and stays up on the new stuff and all the clinical trials so, there is no question in my mind I get great, current care from him.  That's not to say your Dr.'s aren't as great, I'm just saying I guess they all view things differently.  But I am surprised by the number of your Dr.'s who have a different viewpoint.  He told me it was fine to read as much as I can and get different ideas but he wanted me to always come talk to him about it before I would even consider taking something other then what he recommends because so many things interfere with chemotherapy drugs and their being able to fully do the job they are mant to do.

So, I had A-C number 3 of 4 last Thursday and the fatigue is again the worst so far.  No constipation since they had me start doing Mira Lax 2 x a day and Colace Stool softener once a day.  The tonsillitis is gone with the Antibiotic and so far no mouth sores this time either (hope it stays that way).  No nausea that isn't easy to manage with the Ondansetron (generic Zofran) when needed,  And no pain whatsoever from the Neulasta shot again!  Woo Hoo!! 

I've got a Smoked Sausage/Scalloped Potato thing in the crock pot for tonight.  I'm cold right now.  My daughter's partners Mom sent me 4 hand made crocheted hats yesterday and they are wonderful.  I have one on right now.

The most exciting thing for me was my appointment with my Oncologist.  I see him only every other time and the NP in between.  We had a nice long talk about Triple Negative.  He told me he is going to a seminar in Chicago next week and one of the segments was going to be on Triple Negative Breast Cancer and he said he was excited to be able to sit in on that.  So, he will have new information for me when I see him next probably on the 11th of November as I see the NP on Oct. 28th before my last A-C.  This time he told me that with a Stage 1 tumor, clear margins from the lumpectomy, and node negative that I had a very good prognosis and outcome.  He had not told me that before at my consult with him.  He told me that my chances for survival and cure were better even with Trip. Neg. then a woman with Stage 1, Node Positive and hormone positive cancer.  He also said he didn't like how the media and even the medical field portrayed Triple Negative as being so dire.  He said it actually isn't the diagnosis to fear.  He said while there can't be any guarantees, he sees most all of his Trip. Negs with a good outcome and eventual cure.  He said the chemo works extremely well on Trip. Negs. better then hormone positive cancers.  He told me (stressing no guarantees because he can't given the nature of cancer) that since I was a Stage 1 (and just not to worry about the Grade 3 because I had a small tumor, clear margins and node negative) tumor, clear margins and node negative that I was no where near or even close to being in the high risk category for being worst case or recurrence and that I wasn't even in the middle ground but more towards the end of best prognosis and outcome for a cure.

Whew!!  That appointment gave me back a lot of encouragement and hope about Triple Negative and all the bad news we read and hear.  I was so excited when I came out to go to the infusion room to start number 3, and was rushing trying to tell my sister (who took me to my chemo appointment) what he told me about Trip. Neg. and my outcome and prognosis being so good, that my heart was racing.  I want to beat this.  I want to live many,many more years and I want my eventual death to be from something other then cancer of any kind!!  And I wish and pray the same for every one of you.

Love you all, my Sisters,

Juanita   

• MBJ
    edited August 2013

Juanita:  I am glad that your dr. has told you this as I have been told the same by my Onc--that my prognosis is good due to clear margins, no lymph nodes, and not being hormone receptive.  I do wish that was true for all of us.

This came in my mail from the TNBC Foundation and I thought I would share:

October 2010 Dear Friend:I hope you all had a wonderful summer and are rested and refreshed for new challenges!  This is my first communication to many of you since coming on board in June as the Triple Negative Breast Cancer Foundation's first Executive Director. I come to TNBCF with a background in the breast cancer world, as well as with marketing, nonprofit and philanthropic experience.   I am excited to be part of an organization that is growing and thriving, with the potential to help so many people. The Foundation has been busy with many new initiatives to support the triple negative community and stimulate research in this needed area: We will be hosting our 4th annual "think tank" in December, attended by the top doctors and researchers in the field, to create an agenda for a cure for triple negative breast cancer.We will be providing grant support for 2 research proposals as part of the December symposium.We are continuing our co-sponsorship of a $6.4 million Promise Grant with Susan G. Komen for the Cure, focused on triple negative research.We are launching a financial assistance program to help women with triple negative disease afford transportation, child care and other expenses associated with their treatment.We are co-hosting an educational program on TNBC with Young Survival Coalition and SHARE in New York in October.We have a revised version of our successful brochure "A Guide to Understanding Triple Negative Breast Cancer" together with Living Beyond Breast Cancer.We will be introducing an all-new Foundation brochure that will be our "calling card" in press kits and at events nationally.We are continuing to develop our website, www.tnbcfoundation.org offering a new Resource area and up-to-the-minute information.We recently launched the TNBC Foundation blog, giving our audience another way to communicate about triple negative breast cancer.We will be hosting live online chats to focus on new and emerging information about triple negative disease.Many of you have inquired about our fantastic event, Peace, Love and a Cure®.  While we decided not to hold PLC in 2010, it will be back-bigger and better than ever--in the spring of 2011!  We cannot provide these valuable services and programs to the triple negative community without your continued support and generosity.  Please consider making a gift to us in 2010 by: Mail: click here for TNBCF Donation Form Online.  Phone: please call  646.942.0242The Board and staff of the Triple Negative Breast Cancer Foundation thank you! Sincerely,Elizabeth WoolfeExecutive Director
  • MBJ
    edited October 2010

For those who wonder why cancer is on the rise, I also wanted to share this--it's on GMO's and these, BTW aren't allowed in any foods in Europe:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeffrey-smith/youre-appointing-who-plea_b_243810.html

• Jwatrlily
    edited August 2013

MBJ, I too wish it was that way for all of us.  That is why I posted that it was my wish and prayer that we all will eventually die from something other then cancer of any kind. 

As for your post from GMO, what are we to do?  Not eat or drink anything in this country we live in?   I'm not trying to offend you or pick a fight but going through breast cancer and being in treatment, having nausea and barely eating some days, I don't have the energy, time or money to buy alternative foods or check what has what in it before I ever put it in my mouth. 

Is organic the way to go even though it is more expensive?  Does organic milk hold up in the fridge as well as "regular" milk?  I don't have the financial resources to spend money on food that may have to be replaced every 2 or 3 days, used up or not.  I am not vegan or vegetarian and to think of buying all organic foods, vegetables, meats, cheeses, beverages, everything, well, in my house that is not possible unless we want to let other bills and medical bills go unpaid.  In my area, organic is high priced in the grocers (small rural community).  Again, I deeply apologize if this has offended you, because that was not my intent.  You are a wonderful advocate not just for yourself but for everyone, but I just don't get how to do all of this research at a time when my energy and focus needs to be on getting through this breast cancer. 

I've tried to be thoughtful and considerate in my response because the last thing I want to do is offend anyone here.  There is always going to be something out there in our food, in the air, in our water supply that has the potential to cause illness and disease so if we are to always be looking out for and researching for these things to happen or maybe to happen, (because they don't always) when do we get to have the time to live in the fullness of each day free from breathing, eating or drinking?

And tonight, I am starting to feel that fullness in my throat that brought me the tonsillitis the 7th.  I'll stay on top of it but the only place I've been this week is grocery store, 2 days before my chemo treatment, (is it true your highest risk days for your wbc is days 4-11?) the Dr.s office and a restaurant the evening of my treatment so apparently it is something in the air in my community or my home, so does that mean I become a prisoner in my own home or have to move to the local Super 8 until late January or early February when my chemo treatments are over?  This is a genuine question and not one of my trying to be sarcastic.

• cc4npg
    edited October 2010

I'm triple negative, BRCA2 positive.  I was told I should drink Almond Milk, and yes, I was told organic everything else.  That's what my health food store told me, and I really agree with what I've read and been told thus far.  I've read a lot of things about low fat diet, lots of excersize, etc.  I believe we must try to do our best to give our bodies the best food, especially since yes, most of our food isn't really good for us (neither is the air/water).  However, it is also important to EAT.. period.  You have to weigh out what is ultimately best for you versus what you are able to eat, imo.  It's very difficult to eat exactly what we should, and to be able to afford it.  Next year, I plan on planting crops and growing myself, but I will still need to treat them with some kind of pesticide.  I haven't done chemo yet, but from what I read, the things we're supposed to eat (raw vegies, fruits, etc) are things we are NOT supposed to eat during chemo... because of our lowered ability to fight off disease/infection.  Personally, I plan on trying to eat well... if that means drinking Boost or Ensure, fine.  If you aren't eating during treatment, and thus losing weight, you're making yourself sicker in the long run and then if you do get sick, it's harder to get back to a healthy person.  Certainly, it's best to do everything possible in the way of eating the right foods and excersizing so that's my first goal.  But if I'm so sick that I can't eat those foods, and they end up making me more nauseated, I will trust God to bless the food I can eat to my body.

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited October 2010

workmother/swanny - congrats on finishing chemo.  I finished 12/18 - one week before Christmas.  The day I finished I came home and cried. I cried because I was happy to be finished, I cried because I was finished and I cried because I was afraid. I think once we are dx'd we become consumed with fighting the disease, we're upset and then accept what we'll have to endure.  Soon the schedule of dr appts and chemo become a part of our daily lives, a routine and when it ends, it's over.  Nothing, nada, zilch.  It's hard for our friends and family and I think that they just don't know what to say or do at times.  They are happy that we've finished chemo and in their happiness fail to see we still need to recover both physically and mentally.  It will get better, in the meantime I am sending (((hugs))) your way.

jwatrlilly - my onc didn't want me to take supplements of any kind during chemo.  He doesn't say I can't take supplements, but there have been times that I've brought up something and he will reply with there is no scientific data supporting this or that......  I take calcium and D3 because I am very low in both.  I do believe that eating food without all of the pesticides, harmones, antibiotics and chemicals is much better.  But.......I can't always shop at Whole Foods. I think if you look through your regular grocery store you will find foods that will work. I know that while you're on chemo it's hard to prepare foods and it may be hard to make changes right now. But when you're feeling better start preparing meals in advance so that you don't have to eat a lot of processed foods and just make sure to clean your fruits and vegetables really good before eating them.   As for the question about germs and the WBC.  When I would ask my onc about doing things he would say that he is putting no restrictions on me, but be smart.  I went out to restaurants, the movies, parties and shopping.  I just did them at times when the crowds were the least and washed my hands a lot. 

MBJ - Your trip sounds fantastic.  DH and I usually miss eating at home after we've been on vacation for a few days or on a small overnight trip.  Eating out is nice, but sometimes there is nothing like food from home.  Thanks for the above info.   

I really need to update my picture - maybe tomorrow............

• MBJ
    edited October 2010

Jwaterlilly:  I am so not offended.  I am quite aware that whenever I bring up alternative things on a cancer board I open myself up to attack and ridicule, but I also think it's important to be aware that we, as a large part of the population, can demand these things at our grocers at a more reasonable price.  We can force our supply to be healthy and not full of things that make us sick.  If you live in a rural area are there local growers that may not be "certified" but are organic?  I only brought it up because it makes me angry that I have to read every label of everything now especially because I have cancer.  We should all be angry!  Yes, I pay pennies more on the dollar for organic and I am fortunate that I have a local Vons that carries many organics at affordable prices but customers are becoming more aware and in my area they are demanding it.  It's important to know that we have the power.  If corporations want their goods to be purchased and no one wants what they are selling anymore, then they are being forced to change.  It is happening rapidly in larger cities but I hope that this trend continues.  You are correct, while undergoing chemo you want to eat well.  But you also don't  want to be consuming sugar, pesticides, chemicals, and preservatives at a time when your body needs to be it's strongest.  I used to be a vegetarian but since chemo I now eat meat again.  I avoid red meat still as it's harder for us to digest, but I do turkey in all it's forms: bacon, burger, lunch meat (no pesticides are allowed so it's better for you to begin with and affordable), I do organic chicken as the cost isn't much more then regular chicken at my local Vons and Whole Foods, I buy organic eggs which are pennies more when there is variety.  As to your concerns about waste:  Organic lasts 10 times longer then preservative filled foods!!!   When you buy organic or just in season fruits and vegetables, they last longer then something imported from Chile with tons of chemicals!  If you have ever read the Anti Cancer A New Way of Life by a Dr. who has beat brain cancer twice (one of the deadliest cancers to have), he stresses that it's better to eat well then to stress organic.  If you can't afford it, do read your labels because what we put into our bodies now is more important then at any other time in our lives.  So, so very important.  Yes it can feel overwhelming but there are people like this dr who have done the work for you and they make it easier for us to be well and to survive.  Just want us all to live well and live long and chemicals and crap in our food is the worse thing we can do to ourselves.

Sorry, don't mean to preach, just want to share information.  Everyone makes their own choices and I feel food is a very important factor since chemo can destroy the live,r the one organ that processes all of the crap we put in our bodies.  If we eat well, it's less work for the body, hence the body can heal.

• Jwatrlily
    edited August 2013

cc4npg, this is great dialog.  I in no way mean to be disrespectful of MBJ or anyone here.  I too am trying to learn like everyone else but am also trying not to be totally overwhelmed by everything and being fearful of putting food, beverage and air into my body after reading what may or may not be bad for me.  I too read on a report that for Trip. Neg's that low fat and exercise gave huge benefits to prevent recurrence.  While that is true for non cancer people too it seemed in the report to give a bigger boost to no recurrence of breast cancer in Trip. Negs.  How is the Almond Milk?  Does it taste different or just a pleasant taste?  Can you use it like regular cow's milk in baking, cooking, etc?  We also grow a garden every year, although it didn't pan out this year as we had to much wet weather and had to scrap it.  I can green beans, beets and tomatoes.  We eat the young onions, radishes and cucumbers fresh and I do zucchini different ways in the freezer, sliced for a zucchini, tomato gratin I do, ground for breads and cakes and chunked for casseroles.  We don't use pesticides in our garden at all, we fertilize it every other year.

MBJ, your last post was awesome.  I will copy it and use it.  So many of your points are so good and it is causing me to think more, which I know is what you are wanting us to do in the first place.  Never having bought organic, I never knew they lasted longer.  MBJ, thank you for not being offended and I'm finding your input does make me think and have interest in searching out more organic in the limited supplies my grocer has.  I think their organic section is maybe a 10 foot long display!  And it's that way in all the grocery stores we have in my small, rural midwest community.  I was really not trying to attack or ridicule you and I'm so sorry if that is how it was taken.  I'm just overwhelmed by all this.  I do and have been practicing for a long time low/reduced/no fat foods and when I feel good and don't have the real fatigue as I do now, I walk every day and I'm trying to build that up.  I have a hip implant and a lot of arthritis from a 1988 car accident so the building up my distance is an ongoing issue that I work hard at.  My right ankle (which had an open fracture in the accident) is bone on bone and naturally fused so it's difficult.  Also, because of my husbands long term blood clotting problem (since 1985) and his discovered P.A.D., I've been proactive about foods with chemicals and additives and all the bad fats, etc.  I've been doing that for 2-3 years now that he is in crisis, so I have been taking some measures.  But, I do thank you for making me think and for all the good information you have provided in your last post.

• MBJ
    edited October 2010

cc4npg:  You are right:  eating is so important during chemo.  I craved meat and eggs constantly during chemo and I now eat much more protein then I ever have before.  I don't know anyone who can afford to shop Whole Foods.  I go there for one or two things I can't find anywhere else and only when I am flush but your are also correct, there are more and more options at the regular grocer then before.  Not all organic looks as great.  For instance, I can never find great organic lemons at Vons.  So I buy non organic when there really isn't any choice. 

• cc4npg
    edited October 2010

I personally love the almond milk... I've only bought the vanilla flavor.  I haven't baked or cooked with it, but I have used it in cereal.  My local health food store told me cows milk isn't digestible.  I don't know a whole lot about it, but they said goats milk is easy to digest.  That being said, I think when I bake for Christmas, I will probably use fat free organic milk.  Often you can find coupons on the almond milk, making it affordable.  The same goes for all other foods too.  I look in the discount bin for fruits/vegies that are marked down, buy them and juice them... until chemo starts.  I do buy organic eggs... again I've been blessed to find coupons on them, making them legit .30 cents higher than regular eggs.  I was told at the health food store that oatmeal, once processed, isn't even good... so it's more in depth than I thought.  I really like the organic cereal, and have been watching sugar content.  I have substituted honey for some sugar, but am careful not to use much.  I was told to be careful of carbs too, not that I eat many at all.  I've gone to whole grain bread, but again am careful how much I eat.  I love sardines, and they're good for you.  I absolutely love chocolate, which is a bad thing.  However, I do eat a small piece daily of very dark, 72% or higher.  Pasta is another bad thing, for carbs, or that's what I was told.  I like pasta, and bought whole grain pasta which I use sparingly.  I've never been big on meats, soda, chips, or hardly any other snack foods.. not even popcorn.  I try to go by what I've been told, and take some supplements too, but I know when chemo starts, much of this diet will be on hold.  Again, keep in mind, this whole earth is cursed Biblically.  These bodies weren't made to last forever but God has the last word on when it's our time.  I'll do what I can with the knowledge God has given us (thru doctors, scientists, natural holistic meds), and then will trust in Him for the rest. 

• retrievermom
    retrievermom Member Posts: 321
    edited February 2011

workmother:  Completely understand your sentiments.  I'm approaching my 6 mos post-chemo visit and feeling low.  I was flying home recently and could hardly bear all the pink lemonade and BC awareness talk.  I want to enjoy every day, but often find myself slipping into old routines.  I don't like the face I see in the mirror--it isn't me--and I'm tired of the comments linking curly hair to the "positive aspect" of having had chemo.

I am leary of the supplements.  They don't go thru rigorous scrutiny.  My state's senator has been a major force keeping the govt out of regulating the supplement industry, which is big here.  Things can be packaged as anything.  I wish you could see the house up the street from me, that looks like a huge hotel, built on the claims made by xango that it could cure cancer.  

There's a guy who writes on food (I forget his name) who said eat anything, as long as you cook it yourself, i.e. stay away from processed foods.  That isn't always feasible.  Should I put out toxic emissions driving to another county to shop at Whole Foods?  Not a good idea.  I muddle along, eat local produce when I can, watch fats, and exercise some.

• Titan
    Titan Member Posts: 1,313
    edited October 2010

I go away for a couple of days and now I'm trying to catch up..you ladies have been busy..no word yet from Laura Jane..right?  Hope she is doing OK..been thinking so much about her.

Everyone has their opinions on what to eat and exercise..and that is a good thing!  I try to be somewhat in the middle.  My Dh even drank some green tea with me on vacation..I'm addicted to it now!

Swanny..about your onc telling you not to take supplements until you are done with chemo..well..my onc said the same thing..after I was done though he said go for it..I gave them my long list of supplements..sometimes they even ask what a certain supplement does..they listen to me and I listen them.

Alll I know is that I had a headache during chemo, popped a couple aspirin and felt much worse..I didn't take anything at all during chemo after that...

• Titan
    Titan Member Posts: 1,313
    edited October 2010

IOh..and I work for a grocery store chain..we do buy produce from South America...I really don't buy iit at all...I prefer my local garden and during the winter try to buy USA  or Canadian product only. I feel that our product is safer.  Can't get bananas from the USA though!

Realize that some produce that is not organic is still safe too...especially produce with rinds or that you have to peel.   It is still better to eat a banana than a double bacon cheeseburger!

Having said that..on the way back from South Carolina we stopped at a Waffle House and I had a cheese omelet, bacon and hashbrowns..absoutely heavenly!  We also walked or ran 6-8 miles a day on the beach..still took my vitamins, ate fruit and drank green tea..

has anyone ever eated collard greens??  MJB???  I had some with smoked turkey (rather than ribs)...I had never eaten them before!  They were awesome..but..I think my digestive system went into shock!