Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Calling all TNs

Comments

• shorfi
    shorfi Member Posts: 437
    edited April 2016

Ladies thanks for the hugs and prayers. Fat necrosis...πŸ‘πŸ½πŸ‘πŸ½πŸ‘πŸ½πŸ‘πŸ½πŸ‘πŸ½βœ‹πŸ½πŸ€“πŸ€“πŸ˜πŸ˜. Had hubby go with me and so glad he was there. I'm glad you were all in my pocket too. I love you ladies.

Will go into more detail later...nothing bad. I'm exhausted. We had a nice lunch and he took me shopping. Three new outfits 😜

• Luvmydobies
    Luvmydobies Member Posts: 476
    edited April 2016

Good to hear Shorfi!!!! WooHoo!!

• Angtee15
    Angtee15 Member Posts: 72
    edited April 2016

Shorfi..great news and retail therapy on top of it!

I wanted to ask you and other TNBC survivors how you may or may not have changed your diet and exercise habits after completing treatment. I have been reading a lot on the subject and love the feedback!

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited April 2016

Great news Shorfi, high five for fat necrosis, who knew we'd be happy to have that?

Was just listening to this TED talk about stress (part of my mindfulness course), it's about 10-15 mins long but definitely worth a listen if you think stress can cause cancer. XX

Kelly McGonigal: How to make stress your friend | TED Talk | TED.com

https://www.ted.com β€Ί talks β€Ί kelly_mcg...

• Valstim52
    Valstim52 Member Posts: 833
    edited April 2016

Shorfi Woot Woot

• Milwmama
    Milwmama Member Posts: 84
    edited April 2016

Yeah Shortfi! Never heard of it til today. Learning something every time I'm on here. More than I ever wanted to know ;)

• Cathytoo
    Cathytoo Member Posts: 394
    edited April 2016

Shorfi..,BEST NEWS I HEARD TODAY‼️‼️

• lcm123
    lcm123 Member Posts: 66
    edited April 2016

I came looking to see how your tests came out, Shorfi. I am happy for you. I am happy you got some new outfits, too.

• Twaz
    Twaz Member Posts: 27
    edited April 2016

congrats, Shorfi! I had to look up fat necrosis too!

I chopped my hair off today to prep for chemo and absolutely love it!!! I've never had short hair. It is pink & purple too.

Sad it won't last long!!!

• SA8PG
    SA8PG Member Posts: 280
    edited April 2016

Shorfi. I'm beaming with happiness for you. Thank you for sharing with us. Sending you continued love & prayers.

Twaz. Love that you cut your hair; purple & pink my 2 daughters favorite colors. :) Soon yes, it will be gone but it will come back in & you never know what you'll get? Color/texture etc. The best feeling is when you see those little sprouts coming in for the first time after you've spent weeks looking in the mirror for them. My hair was straight before chemo & now it's curly. I'll be 2 years out in August. Prayers for your treatments, every cancer cell dieing at the root!!! Let us know how we can help. 4 days and counting until your first treatment.

Xoxo

G

• Shopgal2
    Shopgal2 Member Posts: 594
    edited April 2016

glad you are ok shorfi.

Angtee after chemo ended in December I enrolled in my radiation oncologists clinical trial to reduce my caloric intake by 25% to lessen the toxic effects of radiation. It was a 10 week clinical trial where I had to log my calories on my fitness pal. The study began 2 weeks before, continued thru 6 weeks of rads, and ended 2 weeks after treatment . Most patients saw a 10 lb weight loss and less skin breakdown from rads. As for me I lost a total of 40 lbs overall. I learned how to know when I was hungry, portion sizes, and to make better food choices including more fruits and veggies I eat less carbs and sugar now and little to no processed foods I really do feel better eating healthier. Plus in Jan I joined a gym for the first time in my life it was slow going at first, but eventually I got more stamina and my heart rate leveled off. I never thought I could lose weight, eat healthy, and exercise, but reoccurrence is my fear

Twaz you look beautiful & good for you for taking control and cutting your hair now. I wish I had gone shorter like you before chemo. I only did a stacked bob and wished I was brave enough to go short. And you will get that hair back again. I wanted a pixie cut before chemo and regretted not cutting it. Now I am 4 months pfc and have the pixie I wanted.

• simplelife4real
    simplelife4real Member Posts: 341
    edited April 2016

Twas, your hair looks great! I love that you did something fun with it.

Just dropping in to say "hi" and share a little story. Three summers ago when I got diagnosed with bc, I planted an asparagus bed not knowing if I'd live long enough to ever eat any of it. It takes a couple years for aspargus to become mature enough to harvest. Last year, we got two servings out to the bed. This year, the bed is really starting to produce and think I'll be able to get at least 10-20 servings. Every time I look at that bed, I think about what a leap of faith that was to plant it in the first place. Each time I eat some asparagus from it, I feel incredibly grateful to be around to enjoy it.

So far....so good!

• Valstim52
    edited April 2016

Looking good Twaz. Love the haircut

• 6feetover
    6feetover Member Posts: 97
    edited April 2016

shorfi: W0000000000000000T!!! *BIG HUGS* Heart

Twaz: adorable! Love it! :D

• Luvmydobies
    Luvmydobies Member Posts: 476
    edited April 2016

Twaz, you look BEAUTIFUl!!! You have the face for short hair. I've left mine in a short pixie ever since it came back after chemo almost three years ago. My husband loves it short and I do too especially since I'm always hot ever since finishing treatment. It doesn't take long at all to fix either. Hmm, maybe that's why the hubby likes it so much! Haha!It will come back. Just remember that! Thinking of you and the other newbies we have. Always here for you! XOXOXO!!!

• Cathytoo
    Cathytoo Member Posts: 394
    edited April 2016

Simplelife4real......I love your asparagus story. I hope the day will come when you have enough to feed 10 people‼️

'Twaz......LOVE,LOVE your hair. Enjoy it while you can‼️

Everyone.......Have a fabulous weekend.

• HausFrauMi
    HausFrauMi Member Posts: 113
    edited April 2016

Twaz you can see what I did before chemo started in my profile pic then after 2 wk of week I went shorter but shaves it several days later since the handfuls of hair while showering drove me crazy! I have it buzzed super short now but several spots still have my original hair and then there is peach fuzz everywhere else after 4 rounds of AC.

Welcome Newbies hope you find lots of support and answers here! I known have been comforted and reassured by many posts!

Started my taxol today.....1 down. The Benadryl knocked me out for a long afternoon nap and sent me to the potty about 4-5 times while I was getting my infusion -- which made it hard to nap during treatment.

• LillieRose
    LillieRose Member Posts: 46
    edited April 2016

congrats Alhusband! 3 years is amazing! I hope you and your family had a wonderful time celebrating

• meadow
    meadow Member Posts: 998
    edited April 2016

Wow I love seeing those faces! Twaz and Haus, you both look wonderful.

Shorfi, so glad for your fat necrosis! So happy for you.

• Shopgal2
    Shopgal2 Member Posts: 594
    edited April 2016

Haus you look beautiful! Good luck on taxol.

• Valstim52
    edited April 2016

Haus, Twaz you guys look beautiful. Sending good vibes for you on Taxol Haus. My last one is Monday. Then on to surgery.

• anothernycgirl
    anothernycgirl Member Posts: 821
    edited April 2016

YAYYY shorfi!

sending BE WELL and FEEL GOOD wishes to everyone here!

• SA8PG
    SA8PG Member Posts: 280
    edited April 2016

Haus -Beautiful!!! Taxol 1 down. Woooohoooo!!!!

Have a great weekend everyone. April is half way over.

Hugs

G

• Twaz
    edited April 2016

Two days til chemo! Actually, two days until I see the oncologist for the first time. Glad they aren't messing around because I feel like my tumor is bigger. I see the MO at 8, then go to the chemo area. I have zero instructions, don't know what kind I'm getting. I assume it'll be the same as all of you- the AC + T. I'll have to do some research.

So-- pros, what advice do you have for a first timer?

• Valstim52
    edited April 2016

Twaz

What still helps me is the chemo thread for your month. There is a starting chemo April 2016 thread. It's really helpful.

• HausFrauMi
    HausFrauMi Member Posts: 113
    edited April 2016

Twaz-- you are starting chemo and haven't been told what is going on?!?

Some times they give diff meds depending on stage/Tumor size and if you have any previous heart conditions or concerns. There are some clinical trials that some TNBC qualify for as well.

I agree to also join the April chemo group. It helps tremendously!!!

• Twaz
    edited April 2016

Yep. They're rushing me in. Thank you TNBC. I'm young (43) and healthy, so maybe that's why they're just going to get me in. If the MO finds something, I'm guessing they'll delay. My regular doctor is in the same system as my hospital & cancer center, so they have access to past physicals & such. I was there last in January.

I'm already in the April Chemosabes!Β 

• LoveMyVizsla
    LoveMyVizsla Member Posts: 526
    edited April 2016

I'm jumping the gun here, but started doing some research on radiation last night. My question here is, have any of you with early stage, 3cm or smaller tumor been offered accelerated partial breast irradiation (versus whole breast radiation)? Just wondering if it is an option for us TN girls, before I get my hopes up.

• PurpleMinion
    PurpleMinion Member Posts: 110
    edited April 2016

Twaz, advice for the first timer: relax. You will probably get a "teaching" before you actually get the infusion, where a nurse will go over all the info about side effects etc. and when to call if you have any problems after you go home, and on and on, whatever they want you to know. You should have some immodium and some senna or miralax on hand at home, as well as water and gatorade as hydration is really important. I find chemo infusion days to be quite calming. I have usually gotten a benadryl pre-med which really makes you relax. I like to bring my own water, styrofoam cups make me gag. I also bring someone with me and scout out the food options in advance (at a new place) then send them for lunch or snacks once we are settled in the chair. I always bring an ipad (with two sets of headphones and a splitter so we can both watch) and stream some stupid comedy or something, definitely not a show that involves a lot of thinking though, that's too frustrating on benadryl! Or, maybe an ipod and just close your eyes.

• MoreShoes
    MoreShoes Member Posts: 179
    edited April 2016

Shorfi, great news!!!!

Twaz, you look fantastic!