Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

lala1 - I saw an LE Occupational therapist who did the myofascial release on me and it was amazing the difference, how it helped me. It hurt like h### while she did it, but the effects were instantaneous for me. I hope the same for you.

Delilahbear - untamed will be my next one. It's so pretty and it has butterflies on it PLUS being purple? :) Must.have. Just flew in is so pretty too. Have my eyes on that one too. Can't wait to get morning meadow. I didn't want to spend the money for the matching knickers so went to VS (they're having their semi-annual sale right now) and bought a couple of yellow knickers for $2.99 and $3.99 to match. :)

• Not-Me
    Not-Me Member Posts: 50

OMG...so happy I found this thread.  My PS said NOTHING about bras.  I am one week post exchange and was wearing my "too small" underwire bra that was purchased betwenn BMX and exchange.  I just bought a flexible non supportive bra, but think I should go back to the too small version which gave them the support needed?  Why do they not tell us about this?  So what I am reading is that it is better to have the supportive bra which holds them in place?

• Dulcigirl
    Dulcigirl Member Posts: 864

But, Not-Me, you should definitely NOT wear a "too small" underwire!!!!

Different doctors have different policies on if or when to begin wearing underwire. Some say never. Some say always. Some say it's up to you. Call and ask. Right now you still have lots of swelling and things haven't settled yet so you can't know for certain what your final size/shape will be. So don't invest much in bras this early. But you MUST have one that fits properly. Most of us were wearing the wrong size before BMX and most of us need a different size after...implants just tend to be wider and a bit flatter. When your doc okays you for regular bras and you are ready go to a really good boutique or a Nordstroms and have someone who is certified in mastectomy fitting measure and help you find one. Just get one to start with....because you are still changing AND because it takes a lot of trial and error to find THE one! But you cannot wear a too small one. You will be pushing the implants together or smooshing them or having wires poking where they shouldn't.

(Anybody else PLEASE correct me if any of that was incorrect!!)

• Estel

NotMe - Dulcigirl is correct. The wires should not press on or impinge the implants in anyway. The underwires should surround the implants not press on or smoosh them. I was instructed to wear no underwires for three months, all our PS's are different in their recommendations.

Dulcigirl gave good advice above. Go somewhere and get properly fitted by an experienced MX fitter, someone who has experience fitting women who've had reconstruction. Until then, look for a zip up the front or hook up the front sports bra at Penney's, Target or Wal-mart, kohl's, TJMaxx....something that will provide initial support so soon after your exchange.

• 2nd_time_around
    2nd_time_around Member Posts: 14,084

Dulcigirl and Dawne-Hope, perfectly said! The only thing I would add is sometimes bra sizes aren't the same in different styles. For example, I generally fit into 38DD, but depending on the style, there was a 38DDD that actually fit better so try them on. I've been going to a small shop that specializes in mastectomy bras for many years and they've told me what the results should look and feel like and the bottom line is don't stay attached to the number and cup size.

• Dulcigirl

Yep, 2nd time,

Cuz I am right now wearing a smokin turqouise lacy bra from a clearance sale that I almost passed by because it only had 3 D's and my others have 4. (Oy!) But I tried it because it was my favorite color and the price was fantastic. Shocked that it fit....and now that I'm wearing it I have not noticed the pains I get throughout the day in my two areas of most suturing. MAGIC beautiful bra!! Must find more! Lol.

• 2nd_time_around

Dulcigirl and Dawne-hope, you both make me look forward to wearing the pretty bras! I've had such a case of bra-envy! I've never been an UW bra gal before because of the unreconstructed side (always rubbed wrong and hurt!) and am looking forward to the pretty UW's I got some weeks back. I got the brightest and sexiest bras I could find that fit and in my budget (so very tired of years of white, nude and sometimes black bras. Blah, blah, blah). Would love a peak of your bra drawers with the pretty colors and styles!

My grandma worked in the garment industry for years, she explained that sometimes when they short on a certain size, they would sometimes mislabel sizes to catch up on quotas and it also depended on the seamstresses; while they tried for uniformity and quality control, not every garment is examined and that could explain slight differences in sizes. So, try on garments because the same sizes may not be consistent.

• Dulcigirl

My drawer would be boring right now!! One white sports bra, two nude, one navy and one turqouise. Now that things have settled in though and now that I understand what fits me best and feels comfy I would love a few more. I'd love a nude in this new style. and maybe a black. Never cared much before!! Lol. I'm not an adventurous bra person.

• Not-Me
    Not-Me Member Posts: 50

Thank you for the info...I do appreciate it.  I bought some cheaper non wire non paddedd bras.  Maybe that is not enough though?  Kinda like a sports bra but without too much support.  

• sweetandspecial
    sweetandspecial Member Posts: 1,669

I love, LOVE, LOVE pretty bras and can't wait to get through exchange, and the drop and fluff or settling in or whatever we call it!!!   I'm so sick of wearing sports bras and these stretchy things I got at Walmart!  The stretchy ones are pretty enough but I want a REAL bra again!!!

Not-Me: not counting my sports bras, the stretchy bras I wear every day don't really have much support, per se, but for me I think just having a bit of a band under the TEs gives the support I need.  I would enjoy going bra-less, but if I try to in just a t-shirt or something without a built-in 'shelf' bra, I'm just a little uncomfortable.  It's like they're kind of heavy and just having a snug band underneath helps keep me from feeling their weight.  Does that make sense?

• 2nd_time_around

I'm 8 weeks post exchange and am tired of the stretchy ones too. Checked Target's clearance bras, found a cute Bali bra on clearance for $5, couldn't resist. So can't wait for PS's approval to get fitted professionally, probably weeks after revision surgery, sigh...

• Estel

Not-Me - Can you get to a Nordstrom or a specialty MX bra shop with experienced fitters?  That at least could give you a starting point at what size you are/are going to be once everything settles.  

A lot of us wore the Wacoal Awareness soft cup (wireless) for awhile after our exchange:

http://www.herroom.com/wacoal-85276-awareness-soft-cup-bra.shtml

http://www.herroom.com/wacoal-856167-awareness-contour-soft-cup-bra.shtml

Also, the Marena bras are great after exchange too:

http://marenagroup.com/garmentstore/product/tabid/199/p-133-seamless-molded-cup-bra.aspx

Know that you're likely to be smaller in the band and bigger in the cup than you think.  Don't let the size scare you.

(Edited to add that the above bras are wireless)

• Estel

2nd time - Here you on the sizes!  Frustrating at first.  I've got bras that range from 30DD - 32D.  Best thing I've ever done bra-wise is just go to a store and try on literally dozens and dozens of bras for a couple of hours.  Really helped me figure out what does and doesn't work for me.  As far as a peak ... girl, I've got drawers of bras.  Undecided  Really embarrased when last fall I took them all out to see what I had, what I could get rid of, how best to sort them ... and it was ... embarassing.  I have a hilarious picture of my two cats staring at the floor, in seemingly disbelief, at the rows of bras in the floor.  Tongue Out  I have a sports bra drawer, a nude/ivory t-shirt bra drawer, a red and black t-shirt bra drawer, and a Freya 3 part cup drawer.  Crazy town.  I only ever owned ivory and nude bras before breast cancer and only 2 at a time.  Now, well, I may need help ... Innocent Wink  I'm making up for lost time.  Cool

Also, have I missed something ... you're 8 weeks out from exchange yet you're going to have a revision soon too?  I hope you can get into some pretty bras very soon.  Love and peace to you.  xo

sweetandspecial - Totally makes sense.  I wore cami's with shelf bra with my TE's.  Felt like needed something but couldn't fit those coconut shells in any kind of bras.  It isn't wise to wear underwires with the TE's anyway.  At most, a soft-cup bra.  You're good.  Kiss

Dulcigirl - You stick around here long and we'll turn you into an adventurous bra person.  Laughing  First turquoise, then pink, then red, then yellow, then comes multi, then flowers, then butterflies,  ... WinkLaughing

• 2nd_time_around

Dawne-Hope... Yes, is true, a revision 3 weeks from today. Not for the foob itself, but under my arm pit, my "mud flap". After mx there was a big flap of tissue and skin and PS told me at time she wouldn't be able to fix at time of exchange but as a separate surgery (can't remember the reason, but it made sense at the time). I can pinch a lot, but it's not only the visual effect. It's always sore/tender to the touch and at times collects fluid which makes it even more so. MLD works but I can't reach most of it myself (other arm isn't long enough and same-side doesn't bend far enough back) and don't want to always be dependent on others to help. Am pleased with general look of foobs, but while she's at it, having her move that same side in slightly because it sometimes gets in the way (knock it with my inner arm) when I do various activities (found it out when I was doing laundry).

• Dulcigirl

Dawne-Hope,

I am so glad you have listed the proper progression through levels of bra obsession for me. Good heavens, I might have accidently skipped straight to multi!!! Lol. I will print the Levels of Bra Advancement and keep it in my purse!!! Ha!! (I do have my eye on a purple ebay find right now. Same style/size as my magical turqouise one. But PURPLE!!)

My problem with colory bras is that I am OCD about matchy-matchy stuff. So, if I had a purple bra I would need a purple shirt to wear it with. Or black. Cuz black works with anything...well, anythng EXCEPT my navy bra. Or brown. But I don't have a brown bra, so I'm good there.

So much stress. This is why I default to nude. ;-)

• mamatwinz
    mamatwinz Member Posts: 193

thanks dawm..i may look for those..are they underwire or no?  i firgot to ask my ps at my 6 wk appt...as i waded thru macys..seems everything was underwire..and i already have no underwire cotton bali bra x2..

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

http://www.lindasonline.com/anita-care-sera-bilateral-lined-mastectomy-bra-5349x-skin.html

Here's one that doesn't have wires. Although it is a mastectomy bra, it has worked for me. I still sleep in these. The shop at a local cancer center filed the paperwork so that my insurance pays for six bras a year. 

• Estel

mamatwinz - The Wacoal bras I listed above and the Marena bra are all wireless.

• Estel

Dulcigirl - Sounds like you need to branch out in your colored shirts.  Wink

• owlwatcher
    owlwatcher Member Posts: 63

girls i haven't been shopping in a while. i stopped in at marshalls and of course they didn't have my size no triple ds. so that is the reason people like me resort to herroom or other online stores. most department stores do not have my size. by the way i didn't ask for triple ds.i am happy to have foobs. it is the way it is.

• Estel

Great, great sales right now on swimwear. Just bought a couple of tops for $5.98.

http://www.lindasonline.com/on-sale.html

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477

thanks Dawn I love the brag to store and travel with bras. A bit pricey for me but really cute.

• Estel

Carroll - I know! I don't have one but would like to get one. I've crushed a couple of nice bras from traveling. I'm going to get one when I can afford it. :)

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477

I do pretty good traveling with my bras. I stuff them with socks and undies and i out them in the corners of my suitcase not on top like she suggests.

• 2nd_time_around

Dawne-Hope, you always bring attention to the prettiest bras! Like the brag but its a bit pricey for me, too, maybe i'll ask for Christmas.

• Estel

Check clearance!  Check clearance!  Check clearance!

I bought three swim tops from linda the bra lady in New York for $5.98 a piece!  Surprised  No joke!

If you know your size, go to http://www.herroom.com    http://www.barenecessities.com     http://www.lindasonline.com    

http://www.figleaves.com/us/ and check out their sales!  Awesome deals right now!  

I've bought this beauty in a few different colors!  

http://www.figleaves.com/us/product/CN-3086/Chantelle-Rive-Gauche-demi-cup-tshirt-bra/?size=&colour=Greens

It's my favorite t-shirt bra right now.

Anyway ... check out the deals.  I'm sure there is more on websites that I haven't posted.  

• jill47
    jill47 Member Posts: 85

Hi Ladies,  It's been a long year of surgeries, genie bras, micro-fibre bali's and wireless plain bras. I'm 6 weeks out fat grafting (plus some recent weight loss) and PS removed all restrictions last week and finally blessed wire bras, I couldn't be happier.  Went to nordies yesterday, was fitted and I cannot believe my size. Wink  I giggled the whole time. Never had such a big cup, even when I was 30#'s heavier; it was truly fun trying on such beautiful bras and finally feeling pretty again. Bought two Chantelle demi bras, no padding, they encapsulate implants perfectly.  Note I will still sleep w/ my genies/micro bali's; not ready to sleep unsupported.

• Layla2525
    Layla2525 Member Posts: 465

Vic Secrets got their bralettes on sale, gorgeous lace in all colors. I can't go there,just getting out of 2nd implt surgy. I gotta wear the real sports bra day and night. I prefer it that way too. I worry erroneously that these gel bags on my chest are gonna wander off to some other part of my body. They are feeling way heavier than the old ones even tho one is same size and other one which kept looking small is 50cc larger. They have a small base and project more so they need support.  I love the cheap danskins. I see they have more colors online than in the store. Since a cosmetic cut was used,under the fold,dunno if I will ever wear underwires again. Lots of augmented folks dont wear those anymore. I dunno what my sides under the arm area at bra level are hurting so bad. PS said it was scar tissue from first surgeries. Guess it got disturbed and some removed during second surg. She said the implants looked fine and were intact when those Mentors were removed. I asked if she sent them back to Mentor,she says no only if they leaked when first put in. She says she is tossing in garbage. She says what did you thk? That we sterilize and resell them in 3rd world countries? I forgot to laugh,somehow nthing is funny when I am at the dr. Dr is just not funny since killing the dragon of BC.

• owlwatcher
    owlwatcher Member Posts: 63

Dulcigirl i just got the Wacoal La Femme in the blue! I know that's your favorite too.