Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Options
1177178179180181183»

Comments

• Lostchick
    Lostchick Member Posts: 4
    Options

thank you guys so much! I think I'm going to make an appt for a fitting and some help at a local store near me that specializes in bras etc for those going through treatment. I've been scared to go out much due to Covid but it is so frustrating ordering and sending back pretty much on a daily. Ugh. I actually got another bra today (I feel like I order a new bra everyday!) and it's so comfy! But I'm laying here really inspecting it now and realizing that it's way too big and so therefore probably not doing much in terms of support. That's probably why it feels so great! I have a friend that went through reconstruction 7 years ago and rarely wears a bra ever since her surgery. My doc said my foobs would migrate to my pits without support. :( so I'm super paranoid about that.

• pennythepest
    pennythepest Member Posts: 9
    Options

I had a bilateral mastectomy in 2004 and the implants had to be removed within a few weeks so I've been flat-chested ever since. I have never found a bra that fits since then. I obviously need pockets for my prostheses and have to have a front hook because of my arthritis. I've found numerous bras that look like they would work but when I get them they don't fit. I've also tried every local shop that was supposed to sell mastectomy bras and never got one I could wear. What do you measure when there are no breasts there and how does that work with the bras that appear in catalogs? Even the Breast Cancer catalog didn't have any suggestions. I have B-cup prostheses.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,090
    Options

Penny - because I have Lymphadema, I use the Wear Ease Sydney bra. You can step into it or pull it over your head. It does have 'sleeves' for your prostheses. Also it has a deep "V" neck so you can wear it with regular clothes. This is a woman owned company with products made in the USA and they are very good at helping over the phone. It may not be anything you want, but here's a link so you can take a look.

https://www.wearease.com/products/sydney-bra?varia...

• minustwo
    Options

Penny: The other advice that I learned from this thread and followed after my first surgery was go to Nordstroms. They have bra fitters that are trained to handle all kinds of cancer & reconstruction issues. Call ahead and make an appointment to make sure a fitter will be there when you are. Hope you are close enough to a store to give this a try.

• lille
    lille Member Posts: 20
    Options

I wandered over to this forum as I current have expanders in and I'm beginning my research on bras to wear -at the end of it all- which is still some time away. In the meantime I thought I'd share the bra that I've been wearing since my BMX that has worked absolute wonders. It's available on Amazon, BRABIC Women's Front Closure Bra Post-Surgery. I haven't been able to find (yet) any other bra that comes close to the coverage and support it provides though I do still want to find other sports bra types depending on whether I will need more or less compression after a swap -with fat graft-. Thank you to the ladies that have mentioned fat grafting affecting what to wear so I know to ask what I'll need beforehand.

There is a size chart on the page. For reference pre-bmx I was a solid 36C and I picked up both a XL and XXL. I'd been advised to size up one post surgery. The XL fits perfectly as the band at the bottom isn't too tight and it's stretches well -while- retaining it's shape. I do not however currently use the breast straps. I left them on (for the next surgery if needed) and just let them hang beneath a shirt, hook beneath or even behind the back. I also love that it fits more like a vest. For refence I'm 5'9" and the thick elastic hem sits roughly a full inch, maybe two beneath my IMF. I've had no issues with it rubbing against my incisions. Also, the straps are thick and they have hooks in them. You can completely remove the bra, for those times you just want to rip it off to be comfortable, by unclasping the shoulders and front. Viola! Just thought I'd extend it to anyone who might be facing surgery or anyone post-inter that might be looking. I've had these for three months and they get washed every few days, no degradation in them yet. Just throwing out a potential.

P.S. This bra was a lifesaver as it also comes high under the arm pits without digging in. It saved me from the awful new experience of hot or weirdly clammy arm skin rubbing and suctioning at the side of my breasts. Took care of that and yes, it breathes well. WOO!

• minustwo
    Options

bumping to answer questions

• doctor91
    doctor91 Member Posts: 1
    Options

thank you for sharing this post

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,982
    Options

Hi doctor91, and welcome. Please feel free to share a bit about yourself.

• catchi
    catchi Member Posts: 3
    Options

@Lille - I agree with you about the BRABIC Women's Front Closure Bra Post-Surgery! This bra is the best... it is so comfortable to wear 24-7 with it's soft & silky, smooth material, adjustable straps and 3-row hook fastening in the front. After surgery I was given a Marena bra and found the material to be rough and the arm hole dug into the lymph node removal site. I am going to buy another one and suggest it to my PS.

One other brand you may want to try is Amoena. My sister gave me the Hanna style... it's a cotton, wirefree bra which is comfortable too. But the BRABIC is my favorite!