Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• owlwatcher
    owlwatcher Member Posts: 63

Yeah Layla i figured they would match too but they do look different from each other. one has a larger implant. but they do look more alike that the old ones did!

• Delilahbear
    Delilahbear Member Posts: 206

lala1 - you are right that PSs don't know everything that goes along with putting a "boob" on. Mine is a meticulous artist in putting them on but when it comes to bras, I swear he changes his mind all the time. I told BS (PS's ex) that he needs to get implants and wear a bra then he would know what we all talk about - LOL! I just had scar and pocket revision with pockets stitched to rib cartilidge. It has not been painful and I am in a sports bra (I chase the "shock absorber max support) which had his approval and when I put a non-underwire bra on, had pain so will stay in the sports bra for at least 3 weeks. I dearly hope he didn't mess with the size since I have a ton of nice underwires which I want to wear again. I look flat and am hoping that it is another drop and fluff after I am out of the compression bras. He took the staples out of the incisions and hopefully they will round back out now.

Just here venting since I can't wear my pretty Freya and SOMA bras. I can't afford to buy any new pretty ones since I no longer work at SOMA so will make do with whatever fits for awhile. Didn't tell anyone at work I was having surgery as I have been off for a Staycation for 2 weeks. Have to find scrubs that cover the sports bras!

Hope everyone is doing well.

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

Delilahbear - I hope you get the results you're looking for!  I also hope very soon you can get back to your pretty bras. Kiss Keep us posted on how you do.  

I just passed my three year exchange surgery anniversary.  I was in sports bras for a while ... six weeks or more, I think.  How do your current implants compare with the ones you had before (size-wise)?  Again, I hope very soon you can get back into your pretty bras and don't have to change sizes.  

• lala1
    lala1 Member Posts: 974

Well, I'm still in sports bras (actually Bali 3488) and it's 4 months post exchange! I'm pretty happy with my results but the only thing I wish for is to be able to wear a nice underwire bra! I've got nice boobs now with great cleavage and can't stand an underwire for more than about an hour! The underwires either hurt the area where I had my drains or they poke up into my armpit and cause pain. My PS said to wear one after 2 weeks if I wanted! I just hope I'm not hurting my results by not being able to wear an underwire. I need to get fitted but a Nordstroms is over 2 hours away and I hate the idea of buying bras and then finding I can't wear them and now I have to make a trip to return them. I've had 3 different people fit me and all 3 gave me 3 different sizes. Sure wish Kohls or Belks had good bra fitters and good bras!!

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

I remember a trip to Penney's not too long after my exchange surgery. I was looking for a more supportive sports bra and needed help getting the right size. I went to that store as they had a display with brochures in their fitting area about their services for mastectomy patients. I had gotten into a bra by myself (zipped up the front) but asked the clerk to take a look to see what she thought of the fit. You could see my steri-strips through the bra. With an absolute look of horror on her face, she asked me "Did they cut you all the way across?". I simply told her yes, they did, and asked, do think this one fits okay? I challked it up as an "OMM" (Oh My! Moments) of my breast cancer journey. Finding good fitters is hard and worth the trip of wherever we have to go. I found mine at Nordstrom and at a cancer center gift shop that has great fitters but not as good of selection of bras (no underwires). 

• Estel

lala - Nordstrom is two and a half hour drive for me. It's well worth the drive. If they don't work for you, you can return them. Explain to the salespeople your situation and I'm sure they could work it out for you to return them by mail. Also, look for a specialy bra shop in your area - sometimes you can find good fitters there. Last October during bc month, my local Dillard's donated to our local ACS for every woman who got a bra fitting and so I let them and guess what? They did a surprisingly good job, 30D, which is the size that fits me best in most bras.

Regarding being sized differently:

1) Remember, they won't fit you in a size they don't carry...VS measures me a 32C, they don't carry 30D.

2) Not all fitters know how to fit reconstructed breasts.

3) In different brands, different styles, you may wear a different size.

If you can't wear an underwire because of the pain, don't wear one. Pain is never good. Key is to keep the breasts up and in and good sports bras will do the job. Know, though, that certain brands (for me) always cause me pain. I've had to experiment with different brands, cuts, and styles to find what works for me. That's why a good fitter could really help you out. I wouldn't give up on underwrites entirely until you get professionally fitted by someone whose specialty is fitting reconstructed breasts.

• lala1

My god, Golden! some people! I have to say I haven't had anyone cringe yet. They've all been extremely courteous and professional. I have a 34 ribcage and have been measured into everything from a 34D to 36C to 36D to 38C. And the lady at the cancer center at my hospital who sells wigs and mastectomy bras reluctantly agreed to measure me and said I should need a 40D! I'm going to the local specialty shop here just to see what they say. And I do have a Belks where Whippetmom said I might find a Wacoal that would fit. Mostly I'm holding out for a trip to Nordstrom. Surely there is a bra out there that will look good AND feel good! My Balis are very comfy but I'm afraid they aren't the most supportive. I've tried wired and non-wired, sports and non-sports and my Bali is the only one at this point. So Dawn-Hope, I'll take your advice....look out Nordies!!

• lala1

By the way, should I look for a specific type bra if my biggest problem seems to be the underwire rubbing against my very sensitive underarm? I have no feeling at all on the back part of my underarm and too much feeling on the front part! Trying to figure if certain types of bras would be better.

Thanks all!

• Estel

Golden - ugh. Like we don't have enough to deal with! Regret you had to go through that. :(

Lala - Since it's s super big deal for you to get to a Nordies, call ahead and make an appointment with a "Certified MX Fitter."

I can't give you specific recommendations but PM Val61 and she might be able to. There are certain cuts of bras that hit me right on my drain sites and that hurts. Some bras are cut low around the underarm and that sounds like what you may need. I can't do the super high cut that hit close to the underarm...it really hurts. Also, for about six months I couldn't stand anything near the underarm side of my left implant. That pain went away with time. I hope the same for you.

• Dulcigirl
    Dulcigirl Member Posts: 864

I am thinking about trying a minimizer bra for certain tops/dresses.

1) Is that safe for my implants?

2) Does anyone have a recommendation? I need one that will minimize the width, (Side boob stuff) and maybe take down a little projection, too.

I saw a few on Bare Necessities that looked worth trying. Like this one, maybe?

http://www.barenecessities.com/chantelle-c-magnifique-minimizer-bra-1891_product.htm?pf_id=Chantelle1891&search=34G&manual_cm_sp=SlotLocation-_-R1C1-_-Chantelle1891#BVRRWidgetID

With Minimizers do you order your regular bra size?

Thanks!!

• Delilahbear
    Delilahbear Member Posts: 206

Dawne-Hope - I didn't have my implants exchanged. He took them out, soaked them in antibiotic solution while stitching the pockets and put them back in. Still the 960 saline mod plus rounds. They are sitting a bit higher with a better slope and not so much of an indent at the top and the bottoms poles are where the major difference is. I still have tape across my ribs and across IMF holding things up and will have the tape changed once a week for the next several weeks. Tried on some of my Freya and SOMA bras and they don't really fit the best but with the tape, I think that is the problem with the fit. I have worn wireless to work and then back to sports bras for home and sleep.

Dulcigirl - I wore (hope I can still wear) the SOMA minimizer bra. I think it is still called Emma. It is a bit wider in the underwires and is one of my most comfortable ones.

As soon as the tape is off, the underwires will go back on. I hope they don't rub and hurt.

Golden - I am sorry the clerk at Penney's was not empathetic with your situation. I comes down to lack of experience with most people. I guess since I work in a hospital and often have to go to a long term acute care and nursing facility, I see most everything so nothing shocks me any more (except the people in public that never seem to look in a mirror and wear sizes approximatley 4 sizes too small or large for them) so I was never shocked in retail, but people who don't see the stuff everyday just don't know how to handle it. But then I remember looking at the post recon pictures in the PS office and wondering how in the heck they put the nipples back on (LOL). Fortunately my Mother had the nerve to ask how it was done as I was in too much of a shock to even ask. Wonder what that Penney's clerk would think about seeing that process?

Hope all had a good day. I went back to work after 2 weeks of doing nothing but taking many naps - it was a hard 12 hour day! My DH says he will absolutely not let me take any naps tomorrow on my day off. Will see!

• lala1

Questions:

Does wearing an underwire vs nonwire make a difference as far as changing the shape of an implant or where is rests over time? And I mean 4-6+ months after exchange surgery. Or at that point is it "you've got what you're going to get"?

Is Soma a good place to buy bras as well after mx?

What about these small specialty boutiques? Do they carry good bras for post mx or are they just mostly "for show"?

• owlwatcher

lala, i love Soma and i have gone to specialty shops and they were good as well but i must say you have to try on a bunch of bras to find what actually is the right brand and model for you it took me a long, long time and hundreds of dollars to find that. Once you do you will become a bra addict like the rest of us. you will spend a fortune, but it will make you feel sexy, confident, shapely, oh wait a minute thats wine.

• Dulcigirl

ROFL, owlwatcher!!

Maybe THAT's what I'm missing. I was expecting the bras to do it. Ha!!

• lala1

Lol! I've been saving my fortune just to buy the bras! Unfortunately, I haven't found a single comfortable bra in the hundreds I've tried. One day I'll find one and that company's bottom line is going to go through the roof!! In the meantime, I will stick with my not-so-supportive Bali nonwire and hope that it's not hurting my foobs bottom line!!

• lala1

I had my yearly exam with my dermatologist today (who, of course, found a mole she wants to remove but I'm refusing to worry about that now!) and she mentioned the very hard chunk of scar tissue that I have right where my underwire would sit IF I could wear an underwire. I told her that is exactly where my pain comes from but that my PS poo-poo'd it as "extra tissue". She suggested I have a  steroid injection into it to soften it up. Anyone ever heard of doing that or if it even works?

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477

I work at Soma and I do find minimizers for many recon patients work well because the wires are wider. Myself I like more projection. Soma has a new minimizer that is called sesuous sides. It has unlined cups and padded side panels that bring in the side boobs nicely. Sesuous sides also comes with lined cups though which I personally prefer. I still love the Soma vanishing back bra with the lined cups and front closure. It gives a great shape and lift and its a bonus cause smoothes the back fat. So I have one of every Soma bra and thats the one I wear mostly. I work in the store in Leawood Kansas if anyone lives in the area and needs help. Today starts there vip avent 15% off the whole store.

• lala1

So I know that the header of this thread talks about how important a bra is for implants, but my question is does it matter whether it's an underwire or non-wire or is it just important that you wear a bra? I've just returned my 1000th (it seems) bra, a Wacoal Awareness that everyone loves. It encapsulates my implant pretty nicely but is cut pretty high up under my arm and rubs. I am very sensitive in that exact spot ever since mx. If I go down a cup size to keep it from rubbing, then the wire sits on my implant. I am currently wearing a non-wire Bali which is very comfortable but was wondering if it would work forever or if I really need to force myself into an underwire. Thoughts?

Oh, and I know I need to get to Nordstroms. Looks like that won't happen till I move next month!

• Dulcigirl

Lala,

I just got the Wacoal Awareness. In the store I loved it. I still love the way it looks with a t-shirt. But I found the band to run a lt smaller than my other Wacoal. (La Femme) We tried upsizing the band, etc, but then the cup did not seem to fit as well. So I got one of those extension thingies.

So now I've worn it most of the day. I am sitting in a parking lot waiting for my daughter's event to end. I have another hour or more before I get home and I can hardly breathe!! I would unfasten it right now but we're giving some other girls a ride home. I don't think I could refasten it. TRYING to see the humor in this, but right now I'd rather cry. Grrrrr. It's a great bra...so why is it trying to strangle me??!!!

• Estel

lala - I've never tried the first but I've heard good things about these two Chantelle wireless bras: Chantelle Amazone and Chantelle Cachemere

http://www.herroom.com/chantelle-2102-amazone-soft-cup-bra.shtml

http://www.herroom.com/chantelle-3375-cachemire-soft-cup-3-part-bra.shtml

Go to the homepage of herroom and search for wireless/soft cup bras just to get a taste of what else is out there.

• Golden01

Here's another one. It is a mastecomy bra with pockets in the lining. I got it at a cancer center shop when I had trouble finding a non-wired bra that fit. I wear it to sleep in even though my doctor says I don't need to worry about them moving around any more. My right is a little lower than the left and I feel better knowing it's staying in place while I sleep! The shop took care of all the billing and my insurance paid for the bras. 

http://www.lindasonline.com/anita-care-sera-bilateral-lined-mastectomy-bra-5349x-skin.html

• Golden01

Looks like one my favorite Chantelle bras is being discontinued: http://www.herroom.com/chantelle-3582-c-chic-3-part-cup.shtmlhttp://www.herroom.com/chantelle-3582-c-chic-3-part-cup.shtml

Any suggestions for replacement?

• Estel

Golden01 - I can't get the links above to work.  Which Chantelle is it?  I hate it when my favorite bras are discontinued! Yell  Grrrrrr.

On herroom, if you go to your favorite bra, then look underneath, on the left side ... there are a serious of tabs.  One of the tabs is titled, 'similiar items' ... I do that when it's being discontinued to see what is recommended.  Doesn't replace it, for sure, but it does help you know what is similiar.  I've also found that when herroom or barenecessities fades out a bra ... I can still find it for awhile longer on the UK websites like figleaves, lembrassa and brasandhoney.com

• Golden01

http://www.herroom.com/chantelle-3582-c-chic-3-part-cup.shtml

Sorry. Try this link. It is the Chantelle C Chic. 

They are also having fewer size and color options in the Chantelle C Chic sexy: http://www.herroom.com/chantelle-3641-c-chic-sexy-3-part-plunge-underwire-bra.shtml

Thanks for the tips on finding it on other sites!

• lala1

I hear ya, Dulcegirl!! I went back to Belks to return my Wacoal Awareness Bra because it rubbed under my arms. Keeping in mind that I was just measured last week as a 36D or possibly 36DD the saleslady suggested I try a 34D instead of a 36D as she thought they ran a bit big!! I have to say, the 34D fits better but I might even could use a DD. Either way, they still run a bit high under the arm and I find that it tends to seperate my boobs....where when I look down they seem to be more on the side than in the front. She also had me try a Wacoal Embrace Lace in the 34D. It runs pretty darn tight but seems to actually surround the implant a little better. I picked out a Spanx Bra-llejuah that closes in the front also 34D. Went on feeling like putting on a cashmere sweater! Very comfy. I bought all 3 because I know that if I wear them for half an hour or so, I can tell the ones I can't stand. Verdict....Wacoal Awareness ok, not real comfy but possibly doable but really don't like how it seperates and kinda torpedoes the boobs... Wacoal Embrace Lace makes the boobs look awesome, not real comfy but not horrible after 2 hours... Spanx goes on great but here I sit an hour later and it feels like a metal bra! Actually they all feel a bit like a metal bra! I'm going to give them a couple more trys but I think they may go back. Or I might try the Embrace Lace in a 36D and see if not being so tight helps.

Dawne-Hope and Golden01...thanks for the links to the bras but this is what I was asking about. These bras are all nonwire. I thought I needed to be in an underwire. My PS has no opinion whatsoever and I'm wearing a great (albeit not real cute) nonwire now. I was just under the impression that underwires were pretty important as far as putting the implant in it's proper place. Is this not correct?

• Estel

lala - The Wacoal Awareness comes in both a softcup and an underwire and with your pain issues of wearing underwire I just assumed you were looking for (and using) a softcup.

The Chantelle Amazone (soft cup) fits like an underwire.  Underwires tend to encapsulate the implants best, yes.  But if you can't wear one because of pain issues, a softcup is better than nothing.

Golden - I know figleaves carries Chantelle but the lembrassa (carries Freya and Panache) and brasandhoney (Freya, Fantasie, Panache, Curvy Kate) websites do not.

http://www.figleaves.com/us/product/CN-3585/Chantelle-C-Chic-Sexy-Spacer-Bra/?size=&colour=Nude

http://www.figleaves.com/us/product/CN-3641/Chantelle-C-Chic-Sexy-Plunging-Underwired-Bra/?size=&colour=Nude

http://www.figleaves.com/us/product/CN-3645/Chantelle-C-Chic-Sexy-Half-Cup-Bra/?size=&colour=White

• lala1

Just FYI...I know alot of women wear Wacoal Awareness and it comes highly recommended. The Belks saleslady told me that they are discontinuing it. She said Wacoal sent them a letter saying that what they had in their stores were it. She said it's one of their most popular and they are all upset over this. So if anyone likes that particular bra, better go get some spares quick!!

• momto7
    momto7 Member Posts: 114

My surgery was rescheduled for the 16th of this month  so I have another 5 days  to wait. My daughter will be turning 21 too and so no tequila shots for me  l did tell her we will order Chinese for her birthday dinner. She wants me to get a tattoo on my leg that says what doesn't kill you makes you stronger I want the shirt that says hell yeah these are  fake my real ones tried to kill me lol  hope every one is doing good I did see some nice bra's at Macy's if any one has one near you check them out !

• owlwatcher

why no tequila shots?