Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Options

Comments

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969
    Options

Almost forgot......my other sports bras came today.....here's the rundown.....

Bendon Action Underwire:  less compression than the "Max Out ", less padded straps, still offered support.   Ran quite small in the cups....wires didn't fit around the implants....will exchange for size 

Bendon Flex Out Technical Support: isn't an underwire, but does have this flexible wire-thing than runs under and around the cups......seemed about as supportive as the other.....also ran quite small in the cups.....will exchange for size

Body by Wacoal T-Back:  I was looking for a less structured sports bra with this one....something for pilates....would fit the bill, but the inside wires pushed against my implants.....potential for pushing them laterally, so I'm defnitely not going back THERE!....could be because the cups are too small.....will probably try a bigger size....

So......I was 3 for 3 with the sports bras......hopefully I'll save you some time with my trials!

• Kristinka
    Kristinka Member Posts: 223
    Options

Val, you are just too boobalicious for these sports bras!  Bet you never thought that would happen before this adventure...

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631
    Options

Val -- you are so right!  I literally bought from Her Room about 20 mins before I saw your post about the sale at Bare Necessities.  I think I'll try your way next time: research HR, buy BN :)

BTW, ladies, there are a bunch of Freya bras on sale at the Bare Necessities site ... wow they are SO gorgeous.  I am going to have to talk to my PS about this lifetime ban on wired bras.

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028
    Options

Val:  How did the Bendon bras run in band?  True to band size?

• juliempw
    juliempw Member Posts: 191
    Options
    Binnie, Interesting information, where did you get the info?  Thanks for sharing.  I've mentioned before that when I wear a tight band, I am a little more numb by the end of the day which has made me wonder about proper circulation.  This is why I haven't been wearing a bra at night.  I'm not willing to let gravity take over during the day but I do think I need the circulation at night.Val, All this time I was so sure I was a 32 but when I measured myself this time I made sure the tape measure was straight along my back which decreased the measurement just a little.  So now i have to go shopping AGAIN!  Since you're my size why don't you go shopping for me and send me the bras.  :-) Julie 
  • Estepp
    Estepp Member Posts: 2,966
    Options

By these measurements... I am a 36A

Sometimes I wonder if being under 5ft tall changes things in measurements? It changes things in all other clothing no matter WHAT fitters and associates tell you.

I have a 28 inch inseam... and I am under 5ft... I CANNOT shop petite. I look like I am wearing high waters...

Who knows..

I find that my implants are so wide that a D cup feels better.. so I buy a 34D.. In Natori.. the 34 band is WAY tight... But this might be LE. ( I am sure it is)

I found it funny I needed an A cup....lol

• m-star
    m-star Member Posts: 340
    Options

thanks Deborah and Goldiknox~that device looks great!

Will run it past my PS and see that it's suitable for after my exchange. I think i'd prefer a seamless sport bra though if at all possible.

That video was really interesting Deborah.Looks like the guy/girl holding the implants love4d prodding and poking it! LOL

• waldo
    waldo Member Posts: 145
    Options

Does BN still have a sale?  What is the code,if so.

• waldo
    Options

Hey Binney, thanks for the info-

• Estepp
    Options

Binny, I just saw your post too.

I hav worn underwire even to be for about 6 months now.. my bra band is tight too.. by then end of the day.. I was NUTS with it. I always wear a wide band .. so that was ok.

Well, I do have trunkleLE. In the back though. I thought, for about 6 months, I had back fat It made sense to me as I had gained weight with treatments. WELL, that "back fat" was lymph fluid trapped.

OH how I wish I had known all this before.. I wish our doctors would know this stuff too. My PS told me TOO wear underwire after my second exchange so that I would build scar tissue under the falling foob....:(.. He did not know..

Heck, my own BS told me I would not get LE even though I had a mast.. full node removal.. and rads....... because I was thin. ( I think I have worn that story out...lol)

• val61
    Options

Julie - my personal shopping service is always available, my dear......maybe I really SHOULD start a business.....seriously, though, I have been thinking that my area could use a fru-fru bra boutique.....I could partner with the ps's in town to help bc patients.....just one of many thoughts running through my head when I think of my soon-to-be-empty house......Cry

Kristen - too true!  

Waldo - that sale was over yesterday, but I'll keep you posted....BN always seems to have some sort of special going on.....HR not so much....

Laura - I've discovered that their suggestions for finding your band size work for us recon gals, but definitely not for cup size!  I think we'd all be A's if we followed their recommendations.....and there's NO WAY that you're an A cup, girl!  You're just a tall tata in a tiny tata bodySmile

Ladies .....since there's been so much discussion of LE and bras, I decided to add some info on my original post.....

• Estepp
    Options

Val ... a thought

Maybe you should make a disclaimer when talking of underwire and even bras period...  that if the chance of LE is high ( full node dissection, rads....) you should bring this up to your physician BEFORE taking the bra advice given here. Just in case someone like me shows up ( uneducated on  LE at the time). What do you think ?

• val61
    Options

Laura - just added that to my original post this morning - in bold, no less - maybe I should move it to the top?

• Estepp
    Options

LOL.. I see that.. good job!

Yes, then there are the morons like me, that will not even see it in bold. The top of the page would work better for the mentally challenged as myself.

Embarassed

• val61
    Options

I think we're ALL a bit mentally challenged after all the anesthesia we've had.....at least I speak for myself......and the tamox certainly doesn't help, either.....

• val61
    Options

Julie - I should add.....regarding your new bra size.....that it will sadly make it harder to find ones....my size is hard enough, and you're a cup bigger, so it may be tough.....I'll gladly share the ones that I really love, though.  Just let me know....

• waldo
    Options

mentally challenged is an understatement!  Tamox, anesthesia, stress you name it but where any of us are lacking in the grey matter- we make up for it with our bodacious foobs! LOL!

• whippetmom
    Options

Julie:  What is your new and improved size which would be difficult to find????

• tamgam
    tamgam Member Posts: 83
    Options

Waldo- you crack me up!  I really want to have some input on this thread.  Am finally meeting with PS 2morrow!  Exchange talks begin. Then my questions will start rolling in.  Prepare yourself !  I am so over these TEs!  Lots of hugs ladies!

• waldo
    Options

Tam, you are going to love having the TE's gone. The implants are so much better to look at, feel and are 100% more comfortable!!! 

• whippetmom
    Options

Something I heard about on the news recently:

http://myintimacy.com/

See if one is in your area for a proper fitting...

• Lilah
    Options

Cool Deborah -- thanks for the link!

• tamgam
    Options

girls- i have mixed emotions today.  my PS INSISTS that after exchange I will heal beautifully without any bra at all- never if i choose.  I have good cleavage even with TEs so he really thinks no really supportive bra is necessary. He feels that the implants WILL NOT SAG! He is really a perfectionist and I trust him but still not sure what to do.  Val makes a great case for full support but I am also in heaven thinking I never need to buy an expensive bra again (I see lots more shoes in my future!)

Am I a fool if I trust his medical advise-?

he has been spot on so far! I do look very natural in clothing even with the turtle shells I have right now. TEs are annoying but look darn good.  I feel very blessed, but to bra or not to bra?

• val61
    Options

Deborah - There's an Intimacy Boutique in Dallas!!!!   I feel a field trip coming on.......wait.....aren't you supposed to STOP me from buying more bras?.......not contribute to my delinquency?     Loved the line in the video......"bras....your breast friends"........

I'll speak up for Julie.....(hope you don't mind)......suffice it to say that her ribcage and upper chest measurements are exactly the same as mine....but she has 50cc larger implants, so probably a cup larger....Wink

Tamgam - first of all, welcome to the thread!  Can you tell us a little bit about you.....TE size and type (short, medium, or full height) and what type of implants your ps is planning to use?   Deborah and I could go into all sorts of reasons for bras at length....but it's pretty much all there in my initial post.  I'll wait to hear your info before I give you my impression......Deborah, feel free to chime in!

• Sandy3170
    Sandy3170 Member Posts: 16
    Options

There is one Intimasy Store in Atlanta, as well.  They were the first that many years ago started with the "revolucionary idea" of profesional fitting  The store is very expensive; howeve,r i read in their twittert that today, June 24, they start their annual sale.. so great oportunity.

My only concern is that they  do not mention anything about having experience with recontructed breast. When in the Norstrom site it says very clear that their profesional fitting staff has the necesary knowledge to fit reconstructed breast, and help with mastectomy implants.

• Lilah
    Options

OK I got my first ever delivery of bras (I ordered two) from Her Room and so far so good!  I got a wireless Bali bra that feels supportive (wireless but has a nice band under the breast) and also got this very cool "Slimpressions" bra -- it's one you have to step into (no hooks, no metal of any kind) and it fits REALLY well and is very supportive.  Feels like I'm wearing a snug, thick leotard.  It will definitely do the trick for me to sleep in at night.

Here are links to both in case others are interested in wireless bras that look nice and support well:

Bali Passion for Comfort Wirefree Bra (currently on sale at Her Room for $24)

http://www.herroom.com/Bali-3389-Passion-for-Comfort-Wirefree-Bra.shtml

Slimpressions Short Control Bralette

http://www.herroom.com/Slimpressions-BR106-Short-Control-Bralette.shtml

• val61
    Options

Hey, Lilah!  Those bras look pretty darn comfy! 

Sandy - Good point about experience with recon.....the Nordstrom fitters are awesome, though, aren't they?  I'd still be willing to make the short drive over there.....anything to feed my bra addiction!

• whippetmom
    Options

Val:  Get help.  Help is just a phone call away.

• tamgam
    Options

Val,

Thanks for the welcome.  I have been an avid reader for months but since I still have TEs I do not have much input.  I have Mentor TEs- 650 ccs, Moderate height.  My PS will exchange with 700cc Mentor smooth round silicone implants.  I have not needed any rads or chemo so I have healthy breast skin.  I have good cleavage with the TEs so he seems to think the exchange will be a cake walk.  Again, his opinion is that the implants will defy gravity and a bra is an optional accessory.  I am pretty confused so I will go on "listening in" on your thread and hopefully make a decision.  Exchange for me is just a few weeks away!