Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Inner Thigh Flap (TUG) Anyone?

Options

Comments

• TwoHobbies
    TwoHobbies Member Posts: 1,532
    edited April 2011
    Options

Lifelover, glad to hear you are home and doing well despite the scares.  Thanks for sharing your experience.  I am scheduled for the bilateral and TUG on April 19.  Did you have the horizontal incision on your thighs?  If you find any solutions to the sleeping, let me know as I'm already anticipating it will be a big challenge to find a comfortable position and just to get in and out of bed.  I hope each day you feel better and better. 

• lifelover
    lifelover Member Posts: 263
    edited April 2011
    Options

Thanks Two Hobbies!

My incision is about 1/2 to 1 inch (hard to tell right now because I'm so swollen) below my groin crease.  It runs from the top of my thighs (again, just below the crease) to about 1/4 of the way around my bum (again, just below the crease).

You won't sleep in the hospital because there are numerous checks that need to be made to ensure that all is well with your reconstruction.  Nurses and surgeons will touch your scars and breasts to ensure they are as they should be and your vital signs are monitored.  Medication is also given regularly, ie, your prescription meds, antibiotics, pain meds.  There is nothing you can do about sleeping in the hospital except napping as much as you can.  You really won't want to have too many visitors.

When you get home, you should be able to sleep okay.  I occasionally take a valium to sleep but I find just making it a rule to not worry before I go to bed.  If you want other recommendations, vitamins or meds, please private message me as I don't really like to give advice in this area because we are all so different. 

Position:  you must lie on your back with your feet apart and knees elevated slightly.  Your arms will also be kept slightly apart and elevated.  I was told not to move my shoulders for the first 48 hours and this was very difficult.  It helps to relax and have some positive goals that you have set yourself post-op to fantasize about.  I was fed my meals for the first couple of days at least.  Because delicate blood vessels are transferred to your chest from your thigh you must relax and not use your chest muscles.  Going against this or whatever advice your surgeon gives you will just increase the chances of your flap failing.  We don't want that!

Hope that helps.

Day 7 post-op:   I feel terrific today.  I've been quite active but I'm a quick healer and was fairly fit before surgery.  My stomach and thigh muscles were quite strong and I've found that this makes movement such as getting in and out of bed and a chair easier.  I'm still quite swollen but less so than yesterday.  I have very little pain and discomfort although my scars are tight and pulling on my thighs.  I have only slight nausea a couple of times.  I showered on my own and washing my own hair. 

• Louisa2
    Louisa2 Member Posts: 40
    edited April 2011
    Options

Lifelover, I am so glad to hear that you are feeling better.  Your info is exactly the kind of stuff I want to know as I prepare for a unilateral mastectomy/TUG on May 2.  They should give everyone an info sheet or little booklet with what to expect and how to prepare.  I am fairly fit, but your message has inspired me to start doing situps, leg lifts, and inner thigh stretches between now and then.  It sounds like it could only help!  Are there any personal items or products you would recommend having on hand while in the hospital? I'm thinking of books on tape, for one, and a facial astringent that my hubby can use on me for another.  Thanks, and a speedy recovery to you.

• lifelover
    edited April 2011
    Options

Thanks Louisa, I'm happy I can offer my experience.

After the first couple of days when you can't move your shoulders you may want to take your mind off of your discomfort with an ipod (I borrowed a friends because I don't have my own).  I didn't read much even though I brought my kindle.  It was helpful to talk to the other women in my room.  In between taking naps and being monitored, there really wasn't much time to be bored.  Some hospitals have television available of course.

Here's my list of what to bring:

a mobile phone if you are allowed

a non-wired bra, one chest size larger but not cup size larger

support shorts - like bicycle shorts but bear in mind you might need a large size if you are swollen

wet wipes, moisturizer for face, lip balm, body moisturizer, toothbrush and paste, hair brush or comb, dry shampoo, tampons or pads (if you still get a period), button up top pajamas, robe, slippers, hard candy, a jacket or jumper with pockets to go home in in case you have drains when you leave hospital

if you have long hair you will want to bring something to keep it up as you get very warm the first few days with all the padding and heated covers used to keep your newly transferred blood vessels warm.

Day 8 Post-Op.  I'm tired today.  Guess I overdid it too much yesterday so I'm spending more time resting today.  I'm doing my exercises as given to me by my physio.  I'm feeling throbbing pains in my breast but remember it's the nerves regenerating and the blood vessels establishing themselves so I'm not too worried.  The scars on my thighs really ache and I take a long nap lying down to take the pressure off.  Still, I actually made lunch and dinner for myself and my DH!  Cooking cheers me up so I did it slowly and didn't lift or carry anything heavy.

By the way, did I say that my breasts are beautiful and I'm so impressed with the nipples and areola area which are darker in color than my breast skin making them look so realistic.  Apparently the skin  between our thighs is darker.  Great result.

• TwoHobbies
    edited April 2011
    Options

Lifelover, I hope I will be sleepy, drugged, dazed for those 48 hours.  I wasn't planning on taking a lot of entertainment to the hospital because I figured I wouldn't be energetic enough to care, but let me know if you think I should pack an ipod, laptop or something.

You posted about the same time as I did, so I saw your notes.  Thanks and glad to hear of your progress. I'm sure its going to be up and down each day as we try to get back into normal life..

• lifelover
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hi Two Hobbies,

You won't want to do anything but lie in bed with some good thoughts saved up the first 2 days  Remember you will want to nap in between being monitored by the doctors/nurses. 

I just posted a few minutes ago so see my reply to Louisa above.  I think your ipod would be just the thing.

Good luck and hang tough!  It will be so worth it once your recovery starts moving forward.

• Rocket
    Rocket Member Posts: 910
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hi Everyone,

I'm just slightly contemplating reconstruction. I had a BMX in January 2010.  I had radiation after the BMX because I had a close margin.  I have a couple of questions.  After the TUG Flap procedure, do you need to get mammograms again?  Also, what are the risks of failure?  I would wait at least one more year post radiation before I consider reconstruction, but I'm also not sure my BS left enough skin on my chest to work with.  Did  any of you have a little amount of skin prior to your reconstruction?  Thanks for any information you can provide.

• Louisa2
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Pandazankar, I am responding to your question about hairy thighs here because I figured that other people would wonder about that as well.  My plastic surgeon said that, if your inner thighs are hairy, then whatever skin they use from there will very like be hairy too.  Depending on the situation, that might be just the nipple, for example.  He went on to say that laser hair removal is a definite option if that happens, and that while it would be extremely painful if the skin were still in its original place, it would not be very painful once relocated to the breast because the nerves are no longer connected.  I hope that helps!
  • Louisa2
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hello, Lifelover,

I hope you are continually feeling better.  That is amazing that you were able to cook dinner on day 8.  Your experience and that of some of the other ladies are giving me lots of hope heading into this endeavor.  I got some old clothes out today and have them all washed and ready for my return home.  Next up:  some bloodwork, a physical, and some shopping for front-hook bras.  Not to mention keeping up with my freelance work project.  It's good to have something else to think about besides all this.

Does anyone recommend banking my own blood before the surgery?  It's a bit late, I think, as it is only 2 weeks away, but I read it in a book as something to consider.  Did anyone here need blood infusions/transfusions (I'm not sure of the correct word)?

Thanks!

• lifelover
    edited April 2011
    Options

Louisa, I'll be thinking of you on your surgery day.  Remember to rest and do what they say.  If you are restless, just take deep breaths and think "relax".  I lost quite a lot of blood when I had a hemotoma in one of my thighs but did not need a transfusion (they measured my hemoglobin and it was still within normal range).  Your surgeon would have discussed banking your blood if they thought there was a shortage.  I don't know the percentage of people who have transfusions but it is certainly not uncommon.  Having a hematoma is also not uncommon but that is one of the reasons they keep such a close watch on you post-op.  Good luck and be as brave as you can be.

Rocket, sorry, I do not know the risk of failure but I would think it has a lot to do with the number of surgeries your PS has performed.  I was told it was a risk but I didn't ask about numbers, because I didn't want to know - I just did everything the doctors and nurses told  me to do after surgery so I didn't contribute to a failure.  I don't know remember what my PS said about mammos but I assume if there is a possibility of a cancer on the chest wall they would prefer to do an MRI.  Check with your BS as opinions differ.  My PS did say that I would be extremely unlucky it I had both breasts reconstructed and later a cancer was found.

Day 13 post-op: I have a swollen lymph node under one of my arms - surgeon says "watch and wait".  Trying not to worry - he does not think it has anything to do with my TUG flaps.  I see my oncologist on Day 16 for the results of my biopsy so hopefully will deal with this then.  One of my stitches "de-hissed" and I'm returning to hospital today to get it sewn up.  I'm still cooking lunch and dinner for my partner and doing light housework.  My DH takes things out of the cupboard for me as reaching is not a good idea - neither is lifting heavy pots and pans.  Still, I am taking less ibuprofen and generally feeling good.  My thighs are still swollen and I can't wear my bike shorts but I need to talk to the doctors today about this while I'm at hospital.  Ladies, yes, it is difficult to sit so I sit for awhile, lie down for awhile, walk around or stand for awhile.

• TwoHobbies
    edited April 2011
    Options

Rocket I think I read the overall failure rate is about 2%.  My surgeon said his failure rate is .5%, I asked him what happens if it "fails" and he said it means you have to go in for emegency surgery to reconnect the vessels. I would think that skin should not be a problem.  If you think about it, you're taking out enough tissue to make a breast, there should be a good amount of skin they could use. 

Of course the best answers would come from a consult with a plastic surgeon and he could advise on your exact situation.  I would just make sure you choose a surgeon that can do many types of surgery, DIEP, TUG, GAPs so that you can get the one that's best for you and your circumstances. 

• c8ndygr1
    c8ndygr1 Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2011
    Options

Re: the hairy foob concern

Hi, I'm newly diagnosed and looking at the TUG reconstruction as a good fit for me. However, I don't have my appt with the PS until May 3rd. In the meantime, I'm researching this type of reconstruction on the internet. I'm so glad I found this discussion forum.

1. Tell me if I'm wrong but is the thigh flap (& muscle) placed inside the hollow pocket of skin left from the skin-sparing mastectomy? And the only part of the thigh flap piece showing on the outside would be the new areola/nipple?

2. If that is so, then any hair follicles from the thigh flap would now be inside the new breast. Would these hair follicles then continue to grow? (weird question, I know but...) Anyone know?

3. Did your thigh drains come out before you left the hospital?

Thanks for any help on these questions.

• Louisa2
    edited April 2011
    Options

I just had a reply from my PS to some questions about my upcoming surgery and thought I would share them.  My questions have the asterisks, and his answers immediately follow each one.  I hope someone finds them helpful.

*   I forgot to ask whether I might need to bother with a supplementary prosthesis after this.  I completely assume not, but just want to be sure.  Avoiding a prosthesis for the rest of my life is a big reason why I'm doing this.

No need for a prosthesis.  You will awaken with your reconstructed breast.

*   Also, just so you know, I am definitely not interested in any surgery to the other breast to achieve symmetry.  Will you have me propped up for any part of this surgery to try to ensure that you make me as symmetrical as possible with respect to the effects of gravity?

OK.  Good to know.  I'll conduct the procedure in such a way as to try to match your native breast.  Yes , you'll be partially sat up during the surgery.

*   With respect to the gracilis muscle, what do you do with the loose end when you remove a piece?

I'll use most of the muscle.  The remaining small end is negligible.

*   Is there any danger of long-lasting numbness in my leg?

Some people get numbness in the back of the thigh that can last for a while, or even be permanent.  It is usually not a particularly bothersome area, however.

*   I believe you are using thigh skin only for the nipple/areola area.  Does that mean you will take whatever tissue you need, but spare more skin in my thigh since you'll actually be needing very little of it?

It's true that the only visible skin from your leg will probably be a circle the size of a silver dollar on your breast.  However, the area of skin taken from your thigh corresponds to the size of the flap (the "filling" for the breast), not the circle.  The flap skin we don't need will be removed and discarded.  There's no way to take the "filling" without taking the skin on top.  It would be kind of like eating a banana without removing the peel.

• lifelover
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hi C8ndygr1,

Question1: yes, you will see your thigh skin on your areola and nipple.

Question 2: yes - hair follicles continue to grow from thigh flap.

Question 3: mostly - mine all were out by day 5 post-op.

C8ndygl1: I love my new breasts.  They look amazing.

2 weeks post-op report: unfortunately I developed an oral antibiotic resistant infection in one of my thighs and needed to be re-admitted to hospital for IV antibiotic treatment.  Good news: I'm much less swollen and in less discomfort now that antibiotics are working.  I get the results of my pathology following my BMX/TUG today.

• Louisa2
    edited April 2011
    Options

Lifelover, I'm so glad to hear that your swelling has gone down and hope that you have no more setbacks. 

I ran across a post on the U.K. breast cancer care forum where the woman said (in March 2010):

"I had MX with immediate recon in June '08 using what seems to be a little known technique of using the thigh tissue and muscle. On the plus side it has created a lovely breast but the surgery damaged nerves and has left me with terrible pain and hypersensitivity in my thigh down to my knee. The slightest touch causes me to flinch and any strenuous exercise is not possible. Even just sitting is painful! I had more surgery 6 weeks ago to repair the damage to nerves but there has been no improvement. A rather edgy consultant today has descided to try a whole host of other treatments including neuromodulation (like a tens machine) and a nasty drug called Gabapentin.
    A traumatic experience - BC diagnosis, surgery, chemo - all being made so much worse by the damage caused by this particular reconstruction. I'd even asked if by using my thigh would my leg be problematic afterwards and was told absolutely not. Yet here I am facing the possibility of constant pain and discomfort and a lifetime of medication.
    Has anyone else out there had this surgery? How is your leg?"

I am really worried about compromising my leg just to get a size A breast.  I think I could tolerate some numbness, but chronic pain that requires mediation would be a deal breaker for me.  Does anyone have any experience with this or know of any statistics related to this issue?

Thanks so much.  The anxiety level is climbing as the date approaches.

• c8ndygr1
    edited April 2011
    Options

Thank you, lifelover, for answering all my questions. I'm so happy you love your new breasts. Hope your thigh infection is cleared up soon and that your pathology results were good.

• lifelover
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hi Louisa,

That certainly is scary stuff to read about but they do warn us about the risks although I don't remember this one.  This particular surgery was in 2008 and it was a new procedure - in the beginning more can go wrong until the surgeon perfects their technique think the only way to avoid this is to.  As your surgeon how many TUG's he or she has performed and how many failures and type of failures he encountered.  I researched my surgeon thoroughly before I agreed to the surgery. 

I'm walking around fairly well although the scars are pulling a bit so that I'm not comfortable standing upright.  Your gracilis muscle will be gone though and your thigh muscles elsewhere should compensate.  It is definately worth asking more questions or your surgeon and doing as much research as you can. 

Good luck Louisa!

• Louisa2
    edited April 2011
    Options

Lifelove, thanks.  I am putting together a hopefully final list of questions for my plastic surgeon. 

To anyone who has had a TUG:  Have you, or are you planning to, post pictures?  I've joined Timtam's site but don't see any on the list that is broken down by type of surgery.  I'll keep looking there, and I remember running across a few elsewhere on the internet, including the link someone supplied near the top of this topic.

Thanks!

• TwoHobbies
    edited April 2011
    Options

I had my bmx and TUG on Tuesday and came home Friday morning.  Here's a synopsis.  I was in the ICU and they come by and check your blood flow with a doppler every hour on the hour.  Because I was at a teaching hospital, at least 9 additional people a day checked it also.  So literally I would have three doctors come check it in 15 minutes and then the nurse would have to do it also because she is the official recorder.  By Wednesday noon they made me get up an dinto the chair to sit for an hour and a half.  Each time you get up it gets easier and it seems there is a lot of improvement more rapidly than I expected.  I would never have dreamed on Wednesday that I would feel like going home on Friday.  I didn't even need a lot of pain medication.  After the Thursday 9 am dose it made me feel really dizzy and nauseous, so  when the ps stopped by that evening he switched me to ibuprofen and that is all I have been on since.  I think I had more pain and discomfort from them trying to run IVs and labs on me than the dang surgery.  I was very swollen and there were lots of failed vein attempts. Heparin shots three times a day were not my favorite either. 

I have one drain per breast and thigh.  I hate them but I think the breast are already almost done draining and I hope the thighs will soon follow.  Once home, it was somewhat difficult to find a comfortable position to sit in and sleep in.  I slept on the couch the first night because I didn't want to go upstairs but by day 2 I did go up and slept in my bed.  I am short and it seems most chairs aren't really built for me so I need many cushions and foot stools to sit comfortably. Walking is a little shaky and slow and my incisions pull so as of today, still shuffling.   

I haven't really cared to evaluate how I look but right now I seem to be the same size as before.  It feels very swollen, tight and numb.  Of course my thighs are much skinnier which is foreign to me.  .     

• Louisa2
    edited April 2011
    Options

TwoHobbies,

That's great that you felt up to going home so soon!  My doctor told me to expect 5 nights in the hospital (which is also a teaching hospital).  I am a whimp when it comes to needles, and I usually get lightheaded and see spots.  Maybe this whole experience will help me to get over that.

I wish you a solid and speedy recovery and a great outcome once all the swelling has gone down.  Please keep us posted on your progress.

• lifelover
    edited April 2011
    Options

Congratulations Two Hobbies!  

The swelling will soon go down and the numbness will slowly disappear.

I move around quite a bit - from the recliner, to a chair, to my bed, to the sofa, to walking around and it gives me a break from getting sore being in one position too long.

• Louisa2
    edited May 2011
    Options

Well, tomorrow is the day for me.  We have to be at the hospital at 5:30 for the injection (into the nipple--ouch!) of the dye to make the sentinel nodes visible because the surgeon will be doing an SNB as part of the mastectomy.  The PS said that the surgery will be about 6 hours.  I've been able to speak with two wonderful women locally who have had the same procedure with the same surgeon.  They both say that the recovery was very difficult for the leg junction, but that they would do it again. 

Here is a potential tip for future TUG people.  One of these fabulous ladies told me that the compression shorts they give you in the hospital are actually crotchless.  No one had mentioned that little detail before.  She was describing the difficulties of going to the bathroom while trying not to actually sit or spread her thighs, while still wearing these shorts.  I said, "Oh, so do you think I should get one of those funnels that they make for people who go winter camping so that they don't have to leave the tent in the middle of the night?  It enables them to pee into a bottle."  She said, "What on earth are you talking about?"  When I described it to her (I had seen it in a catalog a long time ago), she said that I absolutely HAD to get one sent overnight so that I could have it from the moment they take out the catheter.  Here is a link for one style:  http://www.rei.com/product/407267/sani-fem-freshette-feminine-urinary-director.  Campmor.com has this same one plus another, although they didn't come up when I searched for "funnel."  they did come up when I searched for "urinate."

I hope no one is too grossed out by this, but I am a person who appreciates explicit details, and I thought some of you might as well.  Now, if I could just figure out something workable for the other bodily function.  By the way, this same fabulous woman told me I should ask for a stool softener because the anaesthesia can be somewhat binding, and I definitely would NOT want to be having any difficulties.  She also said that one of the residents told her that at one month out, the healed incision is still only about 10% the strength of your regular skin. 

Lifelover and TwoHobbies, I sincerely hope that you have had no difficulties since you last posted.  Any tips for how exactly to get into and out of bed?  This woman told me that the instructions she received were "Don't bend at the waist, and don't flex your hip."  She said that clearly the therapist had not ever actually tried to do that himself, because she doubts that it can be done.

Thanks so much for all the encouragement and support.  I will post again when I can.  They told me to expect to be in the hospital for 5 nights. 

• c8ndygr1
    edited May 2011
    Options

Louisa2 - wishing you the best for your surgery tomorrow (no pain, no complications and an easy recovery). When you are up to it, please share your experience. TUG is one of the options I will be discussing with my PS on Tuesday. Will be sending virtual good vibes your way tomorrow.

• lifelover
    edited May 2011
    Options

Hi Louisa,

I probably missed you and you are on the way to the hospital but I wish you a good surgery and a quick recovery.  I was in the hospital 6 nights but I had a hematoma and had to return to surgery (this is fairly common so don't worry if it happens to you).  That leg is my best of the two now with less swelling and no infection.  Although all the swelling has gone now almost 1 month post-op. 

I went home from the hospital with oral antibiotics for an infection (seroma) that developed in one of my thighs but after a week on them the infection didn't clear up so I was back in hospital for a few nights so they could administer intravenous antibiotics as they discovered I was resistant to the oral ones.  The infection has cleared up now although there is a very small amount of fluid coming from two sites in my scars - I was told after being examined that that is normal and just to wear a dressing on it.  I did need someone to change my dressings daily and I still wear a dressing on those bits (my DH changes mine) and we watch for signs of infection.

The bum area is difficult to keep clean and it is difficult to aim urine into the toilet rather than over your scars, even with the best will in the world.  Therefore, I often cleaned the area with an antimicrobial wash provided by the hospital and I also use a wipe that I cover with aloe vera gel to soothe the area.

Getting out of bed is difficult.  I think the advice you were given sounds to me like advice for a DIEP.  The physiotherapist and nurse in the hospital taught me the proper way to get out of bed.  I wasn't allowed to use my arm or shoulder muscles because of the transplanted blood vessels in my chest area.  With my knees up I wiggled to the edge of the bed using my bum and head.  Then using my stomach muscles I took a deep breath and brought myself upright whilst slinging my legs onto the floor and standing using my thigh muscles.  The first time is not easy and once your feet are on the floor you may need to go slow so you don't pass out (the first couple of times). It gets easier the more you do it. 

I couldn't wear my compression shorts because I was so swollen.  I used them when the swelling went down and they do help with the discomfort.  Now I wear them during the day and take them off at night.

Those first couple of weeks are certainly challenging but keep looking to your future.

• TwoHobbies
    edited May 2011
    Options

Louisa, I hope at this point your surgery has gone well and you are one step closer to home.  Like Livelover, I had a return trip to the hospital for infection.  Last Sunday morning (Day 12 post-op)I didn't feel good and a few hours later my temp was high so off to the ER we went.  I just got out yesterday.

Initially I needed a lot of assistance getting out of bed.  I had someone move my legs to the side of the bed and then hold out their arm or hands to grab onto - not to pull but for balance.  You pretty much have to use your thigh muscles and abs.  Gradually it'll be easier to move your legs on your own.  Around two weeks post-op, I could get up and down pretty easily on my own..  

I think you may find your device very helpful.  Going to the bathroom is a pain in the you-know-what.  The nurse in the hospital offered me a urinal, but I have a psychological block against using anything but the toilet!  Couldn't go.  Their toilet was high and I had to have a stool to rest my feet on or the pulling was unbearable.  Mine at home is a better height for me.  Also I found I had to sit on the very end of the toilet.  Yes definitely take your stool softener.  You won't regret it and keep it up as long as you are on any narcotic pain relief.  I didn't need it once on ibuprofen. 

The one thing I have struggled with at home is finding a correct height of footstools/ottomon.  It seems I struggle with my legs resting too high or too low, but maybe that's because I'm short

• Louisa2
    edited May 2011
    Options

Home today and trying an iPad for first time! Everything went well. No complications, and only unilateral, so I think that's why they had me roll on my side. The urinary device is great!!! My shorts stay nice anddryandi can stand up, so no pulling on my stitches. All the nurses and doctors were interested in it. My ps said he is going to make it part of their protocol.. I had a bowel movement thur night and I just refused to sit on the toilet because I didn't want to risk pulling my stitches. So the nurse came up with the idea to put the bedpan on the edge of the. Bed and raise it up close. She and another nurse supported me and made sure the aim was good, while I managed the urinary device and urinal. It worked pretty well, shorts down. The opening is not big enough for that.

Sorry if that is more than some of you want to know, but I figured if it helps anyone avoid tearing stitches etc, it is worth it.

Thanks all for your well wishes. It will be w while before I get up to speed on this thing, but do feel free to pm me and I will eventually reply. More later.

• lifelover
    edited May 2011
    Options

Two Hobbies, I'm happy to hear you're home from the hospital and hope you reain infection free.

Louisa, I hope you continue to do so well.  Your urinary device sounds perfect for preventing infections with the thigh scars.

I'm over one month post-op now!  I finished my last intravenous antibiotic treatment today and am hoping that the infection is really gone.  I still have one large swelling on the inside of my left thigh and if it doesn't shrink in a couple of days will return to the hospital to see if it needs to be drained.

My scars are becoming less tight and I'm massaging the areas that aren't infected as instructed by my doctors.  The nerve pain in my breasts is less but the nerve pain in my thighs is a bit more intense.  All managed with over-the-counter pain killers although I also take something for anxiety and to help me sleep.

• lifelover
    edited May 2011
    Options

Oh well, I have an e-coli infection in my thighs now.  I'm taking oral antibiotics for it - at least I don't need to be stuck with needles this week.

• Louisa2
    edited May 2011
    Options

Oh dear, lifelover.  I'm so sorry to hear of the ongoing infections and hope they will clear quickly.  Thanks to you and twohobbies for the tips on getting out of bed.  I suspect I could do it by myself at this point, but since my sister is here until Friday, I am taking it easy.  

These shorts are sort of a love/hate object.  I am sure they are helping to keep swelling down, and keeping my incisions from pulling.  But I got a dark purple stripe horizontally cross the back of one thigh, just near the bottom of the shorts.  My sister snipped the band at the very bottom to relieve the tightness there, and it is now starting to look a little better.  

Also, while in the hospital I developed a blister on my backside.  I think it was from having the shorts seam not quite centered.  It developed a red area about 3 .x. 5 cm but is looking better, according to my sister.  She also said, however, that it feels sort of hard and suspects a touch of cellulitis.  I can't really feel it because the right side of my bum is mostly somewhat numb (as is the back of my right thigh).  I also have noticed some puffiness across my lumbar/sacral area when I see myself sideways in the mirror.  It looks kind of like  a mini saddlebag where I didn't have one before.  I have a call in to the PS to ask about these things.  My sense is that neither is really a problem, but better safe than sorry.   

While I was still in the hospital, the PS told me that the inner and lower parts of my breast are firmer than the outer side, and that corresponds to the firmer tissue from the back of my leg.  He said that over time it will soften.  

I'm still not looking at my breast too much.  Everyone else says it looks good, but I'm waiting to pass judgment until the drain is out, and then wait for some swelling to go down.  From my lumpectomy, I know that the swelling took a month to go down (although there was no drain for that procedure, so that was probably a factor).  

Speedy recovery to all you other TUG ladies! 

• lifelover
    edited May 2011
    Options

Hi Louisa, it sounds like you are doing well.

It is always good to check with your PS.  I had a blister in hospital and they drained it for me and it healed nicely.  Being swollen is quite normal especially around the thighs.  I was swollen 2 dress sizes larger in my thighs and tummy.  It took time for it all to go down and now I'm really happy with the results even though I have one swollen area due to infection.  This too will settle.  Yes, I hate the shorts but they really do help.  I take them off at night to sleep so I could get a break from the constriction.  Now, they feel good to wear them (over one month post-op now). 

Yes, it gets better.

Oh yeah, I'm still numb in my inner thighs and my breasts.  Little by little it gets better.

Keep up the positive attitude!