Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Inner Thigh Flap (TUG) Anyone?

Options

Comments

• TwoHobbies
    TwoHobbies Member Posts: 1,532
    edited May 2011
    Options

Louisa, anything suspicious do not wait., My doc has me send him pictures and that works well.  I just don't want you to be in the infection boat with me and Lifelover.  It was worse for me than the surgery I think, and I was in the hospital longer. And if you have something suspicious, keep an eye on your temperature.  My fever was actually my first sign of infection and we could almost see the redness appear before our eyes once I got to the ER.   

Lifelover sorry to hear about your e-coli. I hope it will resolve with the oral antibiotics.  I'm totally petrified of getting more infection or it coming back because I'm allergic to so many antibiotics.    These have to work!

So I am three weeks post-op and today I can kind of see the light at the end of the tunnel.  I can get around a little on my own, but not as independent and able as I would like.  As I use my upper body more,  I am actually getting more sore from using the muscles more I think.  Still quite numb and sore but numbness is improving.  My legs are improving but still some burning and pulling feelings.  Also my ankles are a little swollen after my last hospital visit. I don't think I'm going to be fully functional in four weeks, which was the original estimate, but that's probably because of my set-back. 

• Louisa2
    Louisa2 Member Posts: 40
    edited May 2011
    Options

So far so good!  I got my thigh drain out Thur. (10 days post-op) but the breast drain was still producing too much to remove.  Even though the thigh was down to less than 20 cc/day for 2 days, my leg still swelled a bit by that evening, and I can definitely see a difference between it and my "untugged" leg.  But so far, no infections or other complications.  The shorts are simultaneously wonderful and awful, and the PS wants me to wear them for maybe another 2 weeks.  He wants me to continue the 45 degree or less angle until Thursday, when I'll see him to get out the breast drain, and then I can start sitting upright in short stints.

Lifelover, you said your drains came out on day 4.  I wonder how much they were draining at that point, and whether that led to your having so much swelling.  I can't imagine swelling by 2 clothing sizes! 

My camping experience has really helped me manage the bodily functions without sitting down on a toilet. I really urge anyone planning this procedure to get a "pee funnel" and practice using it at home before you ever go into the hospital.  It will give you peace of mind knowing that you can reduce risk of stretching against your stitches, and keep your lovely crotchless compression shorts from getting sprinkled at the same time.  It was hard to use at first I think because my body kept saying, "you can't pee because you're not sitting down!"  It just wouldn't "let go."  Or that could have been an after-effect of the catheter.  Regarding solid wastes, I've been assuming an awkward but essentially vertical stance while holding the bedpan behind me.  It works fine.  OK, "fine" is a stretch, but it works. And this certainly wouldn't be for everybody, but I've chosen to keep taking a very minimal amount of Vicodin (1/2 tab every 8 or 12 hours) to keep the stools firm.  I hope I'm not offending anyone.  But I had stopped taking it, and digestive things had returned to normal, but it was definitely "messier" to clean myself up.  And after reading about the other ladies' experiences with infection, I figured it couldn't hurt to try to keep things a tad on the drier side for a "cleaner exit."  Again, sorry if this is too graphic.  I'm trying to stick with euphemisms!  Also, I should say that this amount of Vicodin doesn't really seem to affect me or make my head hazy or anything.  But everyone's different.

Lifelover and Twohobbies, I hope your infections have cleared and you are well over the hump by now!  So far for me, this whole thing has not been nearly as bad as I was expecting.  Knock on wood, of course.  By far the very worst thing was getting 5 injections for the dye to locate the sentinel nodes.  I'm no stoic, but I'm not a wimp either. No local anesthesia because they said it would affect how the nodes would draw up the dye.  It was awful.  But once they were done, I was OK. 

Sorry for writing a book, but I do like to hear about everyone else's progress, and feel obligated to share mine too. 

• lifelover
    lifelover Member Posts: 263
    edited May 2011
    Options

Hi Louisa,

It's good to hear that you are doing so well.  And you have such a positive attitude!

I do often think that the hospital taking the drains out so early didn't help my swollen situation.  The problem is that I wasn't producing a lot of fluid so they thought that was it for me.

I went to the hospital a few days ago and they drained the seroma in my thigh.  They sent some fluid off to the lab to check for infection but they believe I'm now clear and can start my first chemo course on the 23rd of this month (next week!).  The nurse at the hospital told me that most people's bodies absorb the seroma fluid.  I told her that I wasn't going to keep walking around with fluid swishing around in my thighs so she called the surgeons and they drained me.  The nurse also said that the fluid would come back which is why they don't usually drain.  You know, I think every surgeon has a different protocol for how to deal with fluid build-up and seromas.  But it's traumatic enough having a mastectomy and I want to feel as good about myself as I possibly can under the circumstances.

I'm going to keep getting some walking exercise in every day.  Also keep gently massaging my thighs and scars.  I'm sure I will eventually return to normal once the fluid is absorbed.

By the way, I'm off all pain killers now.  My breasts are still numb and only a little sore.  My thigh scars are tight but bearable as long as I don't sit down all day long.  I can also sleep on my side now.  Oh, and, I am wearing my old bras again and fitting into my old clothes like my favourite black jeans.  Oh yeah, I sat on my motorbike today and it wasn't too bad at all!

• TwoHobbies
    edited May 2011
    Options

Louisa I think a bit of swelling is normal even after the drains are pulled.  My thighs look quite funny and uneven with varying parts swelled but the ps says it will look fine in the end.  Congrats on getting the one drain pulled and hopefully the other will be done soon. 

Lifelover by my count I'm 14 days behind you and hope I'll be in your state by that time.  Sorry about the chemo starting though.  I wish we could all forget about that part.  I look forward to no soreness in my chest, which seems to be constant right now while my thighs are definitely improving.  It's killing me that its springtime and I'm unable to plant and weed yet. 

• Louisa2
    edited May 2011
    Options

Leg swelling is less today.  Maybe I was walking around too much yesterday.  But I do get tired of lounging so much.  TwoHobbies, is gardening one of your two hobbies?  I too am going crazy with NOT being able to bend over for weeding and planting.  Every visitor to our house gets a bag and instructions on how to pick lettuce for themselves.  There is too much for us, and it's nice to be able to give something back in exchange for the pots of soup etc. that they've brought. My parents are here, and I think I can get them to do some weeding in all the flower gardens.  But I don't want them to overdo it! 

I am feeling up to going to the garden center with Mom and a friend this week.  They'll plant the veggies for me. : ) 

Best of luck to you both with the chemo.  I hope you can tolerate it well.  I am meeting with the oncologist on 5/24, but I only have high-grade DCIS so I think it will just be tamoxifen for me, or maybe one of those aromatase inhibitors.  I'm perimenopausal, and all I have read says tamoxifen is for premenopausal women, and AIs for postmenopausal women.  I don't know what they do for perimenopausal women, but I guess I'll find out soon enough.  I am so sick of reading about breast cancer etc.   I guess I'll give myself another week or so off before I start reading up on these medications. 

• lifelover
    edited May 2011
    Options

Two Hobbies, I enjoy gardening too.  You will be able to do planting and weeding soon.  I'm able to work in the garden but I can't do any one task for too long.  So, it's a little weeding, a little watering, a little planting.  Soon, you'll have a lovely garden growing.

Louisa, I'm perimenopausal and I'll be on tamoxifen after chemo until I'm in menopause.  If I don't start menopause soon, however, they will have to give me meds to stop my ovaries from producing estrogen or I'll have to have surgery to remove them (but this is because my particular cancer is estrogen positive). 

• TwoHobbies
    edited May 2011
    Options

I'm pretty much a gardening nut, girls.  I am so bad if I'm walking I have to refrain from pulling weeds in the neighbors yards.  I see grass growing in my flower beds that needs to be pulled and daffodills that need the dried up heads cut off and my vegetable garden needs planting, and I may just go insane!  Actually today it is sunny and my husband and I are going to try to go to the garden center!  I will be a happy girl if I can only stay 15 minutes. 

I may only have to do tamoxifen too.  The breast surgeon said because I'm 100% ER, PR + that my oncotype will likely be low, but then she added "but you never know".  I'm a little scared of tamoxifen even but I'll of course be glad if I don't have to do chemo..   Should know in a week or so. 

Lifelover is it the 5 year mark where they would stop your ovaries?  It seems they want us on these drugs for 5 years, so I wondered what happens after that if you haven't hit menopause.  Surely I'll hit menopause in 5 years but there are no signs of it yet, 

• Louisa2
    edited May 2011
    Options

Lifelover, I am so glad to read this, and you with a bilateral!  I am sitting on the porch watching everything grow without me.  A few times a day, I take a walk around the garden and see what is budding or blooming.  I planted a bunch of seeds just before my surgery and now they are coming up==lettuces, etc.  I've been very careful not to bend over, though.  How soon before you could bend/stoop to pull weeds?  My PS said I could start sitting upright (at 90 degrees) a bit at a time on Thurs.  (17 days post-op).  My DCIS is ER+ and PR+, but at this point that's all I know.  May 24 I'll met with the oncologist and hear what she has to say.

• lifelover
    edited May 2011
    Options

Hi Two Hobbies,

The oncologist told me that tamoxifen is soon to be prescribed for 5-7 years so I may need to be on it for 7 years.

As far as shutting down the ovaries, they want to see what effect chemo and tamoxifen has on my periods.  At 50 I'm still fairly regular so we'll see.  I hope they just stop and I go into menopause without having surgery or drugs.  There are so many drugs we have to be on.  Ugggh.

I'm not sure about Tamoxifen - it seems to affect everyone a bit differently.  I'm hoping for the best.

I hope you don't need chemo but if you do, you will have plenty of support here!

• lifelover
    edited May 2011
    Options

Hi Louisa,

I was able to move about and walk around and actually cook 7 days post-op.  I didn't lift anything very heavy for a couple of weeks and I couldn't reach to get things from high cupboards.  Also, bending down was quite difficult.  I couldn't reach the floor easily for a few weeks post-op.  My DH had to tie my shoes and put my socks on.  Everyone is different though.  See what you feel up to doing.  I tried to do a little more each day.  But I also allowed myself plenty of time to rest and sleep and recuperate from all that anaesthesia.

I was good at watering the garden.  Planting seeds in containers.  If my DH put things on a higher shelf in the greenhouse I could do a little gardening.  One day, you will just be doing everything again.  I can now do a little weeding and ground planting although I try not to over exert myself.  Always wear gloves in the garden especially if you've had lymph nodes removed. 

Good luck with the oncologist on the 23rd.  It's scary but listen to everything they have to say and take notes if you need to.

Happy gardening.

• Louisa2
    edited May 2011
    Options

Today I realized that the back of my upper arm is no longer numb, 16 days post-op.  That realization has prompted me to jot a few other things I've noticed, for anyone planning this surgery.  

After TUG surgery using my right inner thigh to reconstruct my right breast, my right butt cheek and and thigh (back and inner) were quite numb, as was the back of my upper arm.  Plus the skin on my upper arm, arm pit, and area below my collarbone and inside my sternum felt slightly burned when I touched them or when something brushed against them.  

On day 1 or 2, the nurses noticed that I had formed a sort of blister just beside the top of my butt crack.  They put some barrier cream on it.  I couldn't really feel it.  I speculated that it was from the seam of my shorts not being quite centered and rubbing because all I could do was lie on my back.  The nurse thought maybe moisture had collected in that spot because of the compression shorts.  When I showed the PS, he thought it was probably from lying on the table during surgery with my feet in stirrups.  He told his nurse that they should start using gel pads.  That seems kind of obvious to me, but maybe that's because I've always been skinny and I know how it feels to, say, have to do sit-ups on the gym floor as a kid. 

Also on day 1, the physical therapist and her assistant got me out of bed.  I couldn't believe how shaky my legs were and how my head was swimming.  I think I only shuffled about 50 feet.

Walking on day 2, I think I went about 150 feet.  Although still shuffling, it was much easier.  There were similar improvements each day. I didn't feel like eating anything, but made myself eat a piece of toast.

On day 3, hubby brought me a yummy Brown Cow coffee yogurt with cream on the top, and a banana--my usual breakfast. I noticed definitely less numbness in my thigh and butt.  I had a semblance of a shower with help from a nurse.  They removed the catheter.  I was afraid to give it up because of the massive volumes they were emptying from it, and I did not want to have to get up every few hours.  The nurses assured me that this would not be the case.  I used my pee funnel for the first time.  They removed my pain pump and switched me to Vicodin--2 at first.  When they came back 4 hours later, I said I was sure I didn't need 2, so I just took one and had no problems.  

On day 4 they disconnected my fluids.  Showering was easier.  Actually had some bowel activity, although they had assured me that I wouldn't until after I went home.  Felt hungry for the first time.  Until then, I'd just been making myself eat a bit here and there.

Day 5 I showered by myself but had help drying because I couldn't reach below my knees.  (Getting a sponge/scrubby on a stick is a good idea so you can reach the far parts without bending.) 

The next few days were uneventful--just walking more every day and being very careful getting up and down with help. 

On day 10, they took out my thigh drain.  By that evening, my leg and ankle had swelled.  I got a horizontal purple mark from the lace banding on my compression shorts.  My sister saw it and got quite concerned; she cut the lace and after that each day the purple has faded a bit.  I started getting up and down out of the lounge chair by myself.

On day 12, I noticed that my butt cheek was not at all numb any more.  Regarding my thigh incision, there was numbness below it but not above it.

On day 14, I noticed what I think is called cording in my armpit.  When I stretch my arm out a certain way, it feels very tight and uncomfortable.  I can distinctly feel a "string" in my armpit and it seems like it goes all the way down through my forearm, although I can detect it with my other hand only in my armpit. 

Day 15, I got my breast drain out.  It's amazing how I couldn't feel it coming out--just like most people describe.  I feel like dancing, almost!  What a joy to shower without anything hanging off me.

Sorry for the long post, but I thought people might like to have an idea of one TUG patient's experience.  I think I have been lucky in being able to take it very easy because I had my sister here, and of course my husband, and then my parents, and no young ones to take care of. 

• Rocket
    Rocket Member Posts: 910
    edited May 2011
    Options

Thank you to all of you who have shared your experiences with the TUG flap procedure.  I think at this point I have decided to postpone any decision for reconstruction.  I have other health issues and I just don't think I'm ready to handle any more surgery or procedures at this point.  In the past year I've had a bi-lateral mastectomy a hysterectomy/oophorectomy, chemo, radiation and Arimidex.  I've just had enough medical procedures and have decided to just strap on my foobs every day and wait and see how I feel in another year from now.  I do greatly appreciate all that you ladies have gone through and continue to go through.  Thank you for being so open about your experiences.  It has helped me greatly to be at peace with where I am right now.  I'll continue to check in from time to time to read the latest on your progress.  I hope the best for each of you in your recovery.  {{{{{{{Gentle HUGS}}}}}}} 

• lifelover
    edited May 2011
    Options

Hi Rocket,

I honour your decision.  I agree that giving yourself time is a good plan.  You've been through so much and you are handling it with grace.

I may want further surgery to my breasts in the future, for instance, tatoos on my areola, but only when I'm ready.  No hurry.  I'm just happy to be where I am now and I'm hopeful for the future.

((((((((HUGS))))))))

• TwoHobbies
    edited May 2011
    Options

Rocket, I know a couple of others in your shoes.  They are just waiting until they are ready.  I was at the breast surgeon yesterday, and I have the opportunity to answer your question about mammograms.  Dr said only physical exam from now on, unless something suspicious pops up of course.  I'm thrilled to be free of the mammogram, ultrasound, MRI routine.  I just go back to my breast surgeon in four months. 

I am four weeks post-op.  I am getting around much better.  I still have trouble bending down to my feet or picking up something I dropped on the floor.  I also have trouble lifting my arms too high above my head.  Anything more than a foot over my head I need help with.,  Still pretty sore in my chest.  Legs have some of the "burning" feeling and pulling of the stitches.  Chest has more of the burning feeling.  It is constant and annoying.  I should note I am not really taking pain medication for various reasons.  I take a couple of extra strength tylenol a day.  And I finished my antibiotics and no more signs of infection.

Also, for those interested, my ps said I could have the hairy areas lasered in mid-June, so two months post op.   

• lifelover
    edited May 2011
    Options

Just popping in to record the good news that my bone and CT scans were clear.  I'm over the moon and ready to sail through chemo which starts Monday.  My PICC line went in no problem.  My infection is gone!

• Louisa2
    edited May 2011
    Options

Lifelover, that is so fantastic!  I am so happy for you on all fronts.  Here's hoping that the chemo will go smoothly for you.  

Rocket, I agree that postponing reconstruction decisions makes perfect sense, especially since you've already had the BMX.  There is nothing to be gained by forcing a decision at this point, and next year you will still have all the same options you have now.  Plus, going with prostheses for a while will give you valuable extra data on which to base your decision.  Who knows?  You might find that you don't mind them and like the freedom to use them or not.

I considered not having reconstruction and using a prosthesis, but since I only had a unilateral MX, I was really concerned about coping with being lopsided.  Even though I'm pretty small breasted, I would still have needed a form to balance me out.  I even thought about getting an art tattoo to hide the MX scar if I opted out of recon.  I saw some pictures online and thought it was the perfect application for body art.  

Just take your time, and listen to yourself.  One of the biggest things that has struck me since being diagnosed with DCIS is the emphasis that the healthcare professionals in my area, at 2 different hospitals, place on the individuality of every decision and how important it is for each woman to weigh her condition, her fears, her hopes, and her priorities in coming to the best treatment decision for herself.

Good luck with your foobs and regaining some equilibrium!

• Louisa2
    edited May 2011
    Options

Lifelover, that is so fantastic!  I am so happy for you on all fronts.  Here's hoping that the chemo will go smoothly for you.  

Rocket, I agree that postponing reconstruction decisions makes perfect sense, especially since you've already had the BMX.  There is nothing to be gained by forcing a decision at this point, and next year you will still have all the same options you have now.  Plus, going with prostheses for a while will give you valuable extra data on which to base your decision.  Who knows?  You might find that you don't mind them and like the freedom to use them or not.

I considered not having reconstruction and using a prosthesis, but since I only had a unilateral MX, I was really concerned about coping with being lopsided.  Even though I'm pretty small breasted, I would still have needed a form to balance me out.  I even thought about getting an art tattoo to hide the MX scar if I opted out of recon.  I saw some pictures online and thought it was the perfect application for body art.  

Just take your time, and listen to yourself.  One of the biggest things that has struck me since being diagnosed with DCIS is the emphasis that the healthcare professionals in my area, at 2 different hospitals, place on the individuality of every decision and how important it is for each woman to weigh her condition, her fears, her hopes, and her priorities in coming to the best treatment decision for herself.

Good luck with your foobs and regaining some equilibrium!

• TwoHobbies
    edited May 2011
    Options

Good news, Lifelover.  Glad to hear it. 

• IrishLuck
    IrishLuck Member Posts: 33
    edited May 2011
    Options

Hi ladies.  I've been reading all of your posts and have found them so helpful.  I have decided to have a BMX with TUG after having two recent lumpectomies without clear margins.  One area discovered was DCIS without associated calcifications, so now we really don't know how much DCIS I have.  I may also have a genetic component since my sister was also diagnosed at age 43.  My plastic/micro surgeons will be Dr. Horton and Dr. Buntic and my breast surgeon Dr. Grissom here in S.F.  I have heard great things about this team but would love to hear more if anyone here has had them as their surgeons.  I'm also wondering if you ladies might answer some specific questions I have about precautions.  I'm wondering what specifically are the post surgical precautions and how long they last?  I have a 4 y/o and a 21 mth old so I'm wondering how much help I'm going to need and for how long post surgery.  Thanks so much!

• lifelover
    edited May 2011
    Options

Hi Irish Luck,

My hospital gave me a booklet which gave me a lot of information about pre- and post-op procedures.  Perhaps your surgeon/hospital has such information.

The hospital stay is between 7-14 days.  For the first 48 hours you are told not to move your upper body and are fed by nurses.  Slowly after that you will begin to move a bit and eventually helped to stand up and walk around a bit.  Once you are able to walk around, use the toilet on your own, feed yourself, get yourself out of bed, etc. you will be discharged from hospital.

At home the week or 2 post-op you will want to alternate between sitting down, lying down, walking around - the stitches on your thighs will feel tight and uncomfortable so often walking or standing is a relief.  You shouldn't lift anything heavy or lift your arms too high.  You possibly won't be able to touch the floor - change your socks, shoes.  Using the toilet may be uncomfortable as far as finding a sitting position.  You'll be given very gentle stretching exercises for your shoulders/arms.  I was instructed to wear a surgical non-wired support bra and bicycle (compression-type) shorts to support the surgical areas.

I was able to cook the first day I was home from the hospital but I needed help lifting or reaching for heavy items (jars of sugar etc.).  You shouldn't do actions like vacuuming (because of the push and pull movement) for a few weeks.  They recommend you don't drive until about 4 weeks post-op.

I was told that I could push myself if I felt ready but only to the point where it was uncomfortable and then stop.

You will know when you are ready to move forward re: lifting and bending.

Please email me (private message on this forum) if you want more detailed information or have questions or fears.  I'd be happy to ease your worries if I can.

• TwoHobbies
    edited May 2011
    Options

Hi Irishluck.  I had my surgery in Chicago so I'm not familiar with your surgeons.  My hospital experience was a little different than lifelovers.  I guess it varies by surgeons.  I was not told to keep my chest still for 48 hours.  Not that you move it much anyway.  My surgery was all day Tuesday and Wednesday morning the nurse came in and said I had to get up in a chair by noon.  I went home Friday morning.  The progress from Tuesday to Friday was remarkable, but for me, the progress afterward was not as rapid.  I did come down with an infection and had to go back in the hospital almost two weeks post-opk, so that slowed my progress.  I was also told to wear bike shorts or spanx, but no bra.  From the hospital they sent me home with these stretchy tubes made of netting that I wore on my thighs.  Then as my incisions healed, I started wearing the bike shorts.  I also bought some light weight hoodies that had inside pockets for the drains.  The leg drains I just pinned to the waistband of my shorts or sweats.

You can't reach very far when you come home and you can't bend very far either.  I was told to not lift anything heavier than a half gallon of milk and not do any repetitive motions.  They specifically mentioned no laundry, no dishes, no dogwalking  for four weeks. 

Are your kids at home with you or in daycare?.  If I had two young kids at home during the day, I would get help as long as you can!  I think I would have needed help two weeks minimum.  My sister in law came for two weeks and my husband stayed home for two weeks.  My husband took care of me and my SIL took care of my son and two dogs, did laundry, meals.  It's hard for me to judge beyond two weeks because at that point I was back in the hospital. 

I'm coming up on five weeks post-op and between four and five weeks was quite an improvement for me.  I feel comforable walking, although I don't walk with a normal gait or pace.  I can even sit in more chairs.  Before I had two spots I could sit and the pillows had to be arranged just right to support me.  We had a beautiful summery day here yesterday and I watered my containers and putzed around the yard and sat on the deck a good part of the day.  I still couldn't figure out how to plant in the ground though.  I thought about sitting on the ground, but wasn't sure I could get back up!  So our vegetable garden is not planted yet.  I'll have to let my husband plant it.   

Lifelover:  I see your new haircut.  You look cute with short hair.  I hope your chemo goes well today. 

• densin1
    densin1 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2011
    Options

I am currently waiting for bilateral mastectomy with reconstruction expanders put under muscle to hold space for actual reconstruction, they want to have clear margins first and see what pathology report comes back after sentinel node procedure.  After 2 consultations, the first consult she did not work with a plastic surgeon, 2nd consult she did work with a plastic surgeon who recommended implants or TRAM flap surgery, rarely did DIEP microsurgery.  I was not comfortable with either procedure and read if you have the DIEP you must go with someone who does it all the time.  This led me to Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, I am from Florida.  They also do the TUG which I am the most interested in, while I was there for both consultations they did an ultrasound on the armpit on the side where the cancer is.  They did a needle biopsy on 3 of the lymph nodes, 2 days later they called to tell me there was no cancer.  When I asked why they did this procedure and the 2 hospitals I went to in FL didn't do this they said unfortunately breast centers can be 5-15 years behind in updated procedures.  Has anyone gone with Dr. Habibi-breast surgeon-with Johns Hopkins and if so how did you like him?  Has anyone gone with Dr. Manahan-plastic surgeon-with Johns Hopkins?  I am most interested to find someone who has had the TUG surgery performed by her.  Any help you can give. 

• IrishLuck
    edited May 2011
    Options

Hi Lifelover,  Thanks for the information on your post surgical recovery.  My surgeon gave me a packet of information abut the TUG but it does not have specific information about the restrictions.  She did tell me I will have to be in the hospital for 7 days and for 5 of those days I am not allowed out of bed.  She said I will also be on a 5 lb lifting restriction and that most of my rescrictions would be lifted by 6 weeks.  She was kind of rushed during our appointment so I did not get to ask many questions.  It is amazing that you were able to cook on the first day!  Thanks for all of the tips on alternating my position after the surgery.  I think I will start looking for a support bra and shorts.  Should I get a pair of shorts that fit the size I am now, a bit smaller or larger?  Thanks and best of luck with your chemo today.

• lifelover
    edited May 2011
    Options

Thanks Two Hobbies - it's liberating to have short hair.  I hope it stays with me for awhile.

No chemo today - I have an infection - or thrombosis in the entry site of my PICC line.  More antibiotics and watch and wait - Thursday they hope to start my treatment. 

• IrishLuck
    edited May 2011
    Options

HI TwoHobbies!  I'm so sorry you had an infection and had to go back into the hospital.  How awful for you.  I'm glad you are now recovering well.  It sounds like you will soon be back to gardening.  I'm amazed that they had you up on day 1 post op!  I can't imagine that I would be anywhere ready for that.  My surgeon sounds like she is super conservative when it comes to that.  I won't be allowed up for 5 days.  I'm a bit worried I will go stir crazy by then but she said I could sit on the EOB at day 3.  I'm trying to figure out what to do with my kids.  My son does go to preschool, but then I still have the 21 month old at home.  I'm thinking maybe I need a nanny but not sure of how long?  If the 5 lb lifting requirement lasts for 6 weeks then I may need a nanny for that whole time.  I was thinking maybe I could adapt some activites to the ground level (like changing diaper on the floor, napping with baby on mattress on floor) but it sounds like I may not be able to get down there : )  Yikes this is a hard recovery.  I know the results will be well worth the trouble though and we won't have to have any implants pulled out 20 years down the road.  Thanks for the info! : )

• lifelover
    edited May 2011
    Options

Hi Irish Luck,

Don't buy a size smaller.  I'm small and I bought a large size.  After surgery I was swollen and I couldn't even fit in a large size!  It was quite comical when the male physio and the nurses tried helping me get those large size shorts on before I got out of bed :-)    If your surgeon insists you wear the shorts before you first stand up out of bed (as my surgeon did) then you will probably need a larger size.  Now I wear a medium because I'm still a bit swollen in one thigh.  But I wore the large size for about 4 weeks.

I didn't have my chemo today because I'm having problems with my PICC line and they wouldn't do the treatment until it resolves.  It's either an infection or thrombosis so it's watch and wait and take yet more antibiotics.

• TwoHobbies
    edited May 2011
    Options

Irishluck: If you can afford it, I would get a Nanny for at least 4 weeks or heck if you can afford it, get one for six weeks!  Put this on your list of things to ask the doctor.  I'm sure you're not the first to have young ones at home.  I don't think you'll be able to change diapers on the floor.  Maybe if your child could climb on something sofa height maybe you could but it sure seems easier to have someone else do it.  I'd be worried you'll do something to hurt yourself being "mom".   My son is 14 so other than feeding him and getting him places, he needs no special care.  Of course its not like that with a 4 and almost 2 year old. 

I don't think you'll go as stir crazy for the 5 days as you may think.  I did turn on the TV day 3 for a bit but I didn't care about anything day 1 and 2. And you'll sleep a lot.   No I didn't really feel like getting up that day, but every time you do it, it does get easier.  It was like 3 steps to the chair and I sat for an hour and a half and then back to bed. 

Lifelover sorry abou the infection or thrombosis.  I bet you're sick of those antibiotics.  I know I was!

Densein1, you might ask your doctor if you could talk to one of his/her patients who had the TUG. That may be your quickest way to find a reference.  There aren't too many of us who have had it. 

• IrishLuck
    edited May 2011
    Options

Lifelover - thanks for the info about the shorts.  I will get a big size.  Wish there was something adjustable just in case of a lot of swelling like you had. Sorry to hear about your PICC line issue.  I hope it resolves quickly. 

Two Hobbies - I can't really afford a nanny at all but I don't want to injure myself or ruin my surgery by doing too much so we will have to figure out a way to pay for it.  I'm hoping that maybe I can just hire a nanny for 2 or three weeks.  The first week my husband will be with me so that will get me to week four with lots of help.  The big question will be if I am ready to take on two small kids after that.  Glad your son is able to care for himself and maybe help you.  I know they need quite a lot of taxi service at that age though : )

Next question for you lovely ladies on this board:  Nipple sparing versus no nipple sparing.  I have read that with a TUG they can do immediate nipple reconstruction with the thigh tissue and there is no need for a tatoo after since the skin is already pinker than the breast tissue.  Anyone have this done?  Is it really a one step process and you are done after the TUG?  Are you happy with the result?

• Louisa2
    edited May 2011
    Options

Irish Luck, I will chime in with my experience so far.  I was in the hospital for 5 nights. They had me up and walking the next day after surgery (although barely!).  A little more each day.  They wanted me to move so as to help prevent blood clots.  They also put "cuffs" on my calves that inflated/deflated and vibrated to help avoid clots.

Regarding post-surgical precautions, I was told not to sit at any more than a 45-degree angle.  When I got my second drain out around day 15, the PS told me I could start sitting upright at 90 degrees for an hour at a time on a cushioned chair. Until then, I had also been sleeping on my back as directed, and he said I could start sleeping on my unaffected side (I had a unilateral TUG).  There were restrictions on lifting--no more than 5 pounds for a couple weeks, I think.  Also no raising my arm above shoulder height until after the breast drain was removed. I was told to avoid stairs as much as possible, although the physical therapist showed me how to do them while keeping my affected thigh straight--basically one at a time, like a little granny.  As the other ladies have said, walking and standing are really almost a relief from all the reclining.  You might consider arranging things so that you can stay on one floor of your house if it is multilevel.

My hospital provided two pairs of compression shorts (crotchless for urinating--don't think you could safely defecate in them though).  See my post above about the pee funnel.  I'm actually still using it at 3 weeks today.  I figure the less I have to sit on a hard surface, the better at this point. They go down to the knees and have hooks and eyes as well as zippers up both sides.  The nurse told me they cost $100 per pair.  I suspect that they are more compressive than others you might find in a store.

My PS said that the time when I would be in greatest danger of pulling the stitches in my thigh is between weeks 2 and 4 because I'd be feeling better, but also because the integrity of the dissolving stitches would be decreasing and my tissue would not yet have healed strongly enough to resist tearing should I exert/stretch myself too far.

I don't have small kids, but I talked with two other TUG patients of my PS who do.  They got lots of help from family, friends, and church members and greatly appreciated every little bit.  One told me about a web site called something like mealbaby.com or something like that, where people could sign up to bring you food.  If you can't swing getting a fulltime nanny for a few weeks, maybe you can hire a babysitter to come in for a half days, or something like that. 

My sister came for a week, and then my parents for 4 days.  I might have been able to get by without their help, but I am oh so glad I didn't have to.  Having help getting up and down for several days was a comfort.  I didn't need to even think about picking up dirty clothes from the floor, cooking, etc.  I've also had a lot of friends drop by with food and for visits.  My experience is that people really want to help, and that you should let them--especially since you will be in the bilateral camp!  I can't imagine how much tougher that would be than a uni.

Best of luck as you pursue this.  Be sure to persevere with whatever exercises they give you to do in the hospital.  Don't overdo them, but do them.

Feel free to send me a private message.

• TwoHobbies
    edited May 2011
    Options

Irishluck:  Maybe you could get a college or high-school age girl to come in and help.  Seems like that would be cheaper.   Since you're there to oversee and direct, that might be a good alternative.

My PS did not do the nipple reconstruction at the same time.  One-step would definitely be nice.  The skin used on the areola area seems to be the same color, in my case.  Unfortunately it is hairy too.  So, I had my surgery mid-April, I go for laser hair removal mid-June, and he does the nipple recon mid-July, tattoo afterward but not sure of the timing.  The nipple recon is in the office.  I should note that I had a different incision than Lifelover, not sure about Louisa.  I had my incision vertically down the inner thigh, so perhaps the skin used is different..