Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

August 2010...anyone starting chemo besides me?!

Options

Comments

• 1WonderWoman
    1WonderWoman Member Posts: 1,796
    Options

To all:

We have 2 new members:

Angelice from down under

Keepingthefaith

Take some time to welcome them to our crew!

Liz

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    Options

Off to ebay!  Laughing

• 1WonderWoman
    Options

Adey and Rachel: I hope you all don't get chased by wildlife with your new China wigs!   I don't know if they are going to take kindly to you wearing their fur!!!!!!!!!!

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    Options

Morning, any advice for me?  About 10 days out from lumpectomy and lymph node biopsy my armpit and shoulder started swelling and hurting a lot.  I also started running about 100-101 fever.  Went in to see BS and he drained a couple areas and presecribed Keflex.  I have finished day 4 (3 more to go) and my arm/shoulder feel much better but I am still running about 99.4 or so low fever.  I go back today for checkup.  What do you think? 

• Lady - I ran with my one drain in.  I couldn't take it anymore.  But I did have my surgical camisole on to hold it all tight!  My doctor said the opposite of draining - she said don't slow down deliberately or do anything different with activity since you want to drain naturally.  If this makes sense:  You don't want to artificially reduce your fluid out put by resting; then once it's out, you hit the road running and you end up with the increased fluid at THAT Time with nowhere for it to go.

I ran with my drains - I didn't notice much of an increase with activity and at the end I was putting out less than 9 cc's a day in the last drain and was still running.  :)  So I think they sort of decrease when your body doesn't see the need to swell those sites anymore.  I always thought with the running, I was circulating oxygen to those areas quickly and it would promote healing.  If your drains hurt when you're running, then that's a different story.........but if exercise makes you feel good - do it! :)

I'm on a saline drip right now for a couple of hours.  The ladies here have been great.  Going to see if we can find a work around for the co pays every single time - it's ridiculous, really!  The treatment should be all encompassing.  Do they want a co pay every time I call the doctor too?? 

Anyway, I'm really sleepy from all the happy drugs.  Have a little heartburn right now but otherwise feel okay.  The next week will tell a lot I suppose!  I like the nurses here - I have my own little room with a TV and Wifi hookup for my laptop - right now it's actually pretty nice and relaxing! :D

• Adey
    Options
  • Rachel - we look forward to seeing your avatar pic change regularly with ALL the various wig styles and colors!   It will be very inspiring! :D
  • monisch
    monisch Member Posts: 43
    Options

hi ladies,  i too must join your group.... I had m first chemo on aug.5. Im getting the so called " red devil" along with 2 other chemo substances for the first 3 sessions and then taxotere.  I have TNBC, therefore the more aggressive chemo.  The first reaction to chemo was the feeling i had a bad case of the flu, and constipation :(.  Then the constipation was gone and low and behold the diarhea started along with stomach cramps.  Did anyone experience stomach cramps around a week after starting chemo ? and if so what did you do about it ? is it normal?

• 1WonderWoman
    Options

Adey: perhaps you want to take your China wig to a taxonomistt to find out what animal it belonged to so you know what cages to avoid at the zoo!!!!  Joking!  In any case, I have got a mugga scan AND port insertion appointments!  Getting closer..!

Monisch: Welcome and nice of you to join us.  I am happy to have you here but sorry you meet the criteria to join us!  I hope this thread is informational as well as inspirational for you.  Welcome.

To Everyone: I was offered 4 treatments by 1 onc and 6 by another.   Which would you choose?  Seriously, I cannot believe I am electing more chemo.  It is just that somewhere inside of me I feel the need to get as much now in hopes I don't have to do this again.   Just let me know what you all would do as I am starting to think I am going mad!
    Liz

• rachel5738
    rachel5738 Member Posts: 658
    Options

As soon as I get that china wig--I shall post--I cannot promise what it will look like--but for a nickel--maybe for halloween one day. The description was a sexy brown bob---we'll see how sexy! Might be full of lead and I'll have lead poisoning in my scalp... Have to laugh through this somehow.

Rachel

p.s. In my group of my "university educated" friends--someone started a blog on Jersey Shore--keeps me in the loop....sad but true...miss the work talks.

• 1WonderWoman
    Options
    Rachel: Just don't eat the lead wig!  That opens up a whole new set of problems!   This is why I think you and Adey should go to a taxonomist to have the fur studied so you know which cages to avoid at the zoo!   It might have lead or you will chased down by wildlife who can smell their kind!
  • zenith4289
    zenith4289 Member Posts: 137
    Options

Hi everyone and welcome to the many new ladies!  Are we supposed to NOT use deodorant and/or antiperspirants?  I broke down and used my old antipersperant today as I just couldn't stand it anymore.  Washing and cornstarch just doesn't cut it.  I am not having radiation.  I can call the Onc's office tomorrow but thought i'd see what everyone else is doing too.  there is nothing in writing that the office gave me saying not to use it.

• IowaSue45
    IowaSue45 Member Posts: 422
    Options

Most everyone seams to be taking it all in stride, so sorry for those having difficulty, I hope tomorrow is a better day for each of my fellow chemo sistas. I wish I could see each one of your ages, just to see the range and who is around my age 44. Seams to be alot of younger ladies, I was shocked to see a young lady of 18, my youngest daughters age.

I start Thur. TCH dreading as it inches closer. But I like the fearless leader am one tough cookie and usally a very possitive gal trying to keep the chin up and smile on. One little piece of info, my sister runs a shop that sells wigs, hats and scarfs and she told me instead of tying them in a knot use a ponytail holder to bring it togather in the back. Have a good day !

• Adey
    Options

Lizzy (smartass) Mack!

Don't be making fun of my Davy Crocket hair piece. Smile  When are your appointments?  Did they offer you the same therapy but different lengths?  Which one TAC?

IowaSue-

I'm 48 and my oldest is 18 in September, it was a shocker.

Take care all.

• rachel5738
    rachel5738 Member Posts: 658
    Options

I was 39 when diagnosed--40 when I had my partial mastectomy. It seems so many young people....very sad.

• Mmahle46
    Mmahle46 Member Posts: 44
    Options

Hi y'all,

I hope all who started today and this week are doing well.

Ebay wigs---I ended up getting one from a person it was new with tags for $12.99 lol...I don't really like it though it looks kind of like a mullet..I'm going to see if my hair dresser can fix it up.  The one in my profile I got at Sam Moon for $34 and I like that one.  Its similar in style to my own hair.  I ordered another from ebay for $50.00 its long and wavy.  I need it trimmed a little in the bang area. Good luck on the China wigs!  I can't wait to see how they look.

I was at the ER with my daughter tonight.  She is pregnant and had a bad UTI since last Thursdays visit to the ER now its in her kidneys we have to have an ultrasound done tomorrow of her kidneys and the baby.  The baby is fine though.  Hopefully, they can figure out what is wrong with her and get her fixed up.  Its so hard seeing her in so much pain. 

This has been a stressful day and I'm glad its over.

Y'all have a great night! 

• DebJ
    DebJ Member Posts: 41
    Options

hi all, I did first chemo today.  It was long, long day.  Started at 9:45 with doc''s visit.  I love him.  We talk about everything.  I told him i was sure they used a dull knife to place port.  He was sure they did to (laughingly), and probably spit on it to keep it clean.  Found out I would be doing Neulesta shots.  This had not come up for me, and I wondered why.  Just an oversite.  Chemo strarted at 10:30, continued until 4:00!! Whew.  They flushed port, got back blood, hung 2 bags of antinauseas, then Taxotere, then Carboplantin, then Herceptin.  Everything was started slow, then at the sound of the gong, it was turned up a notch, and then at the sound of the gong, it was moved to full pace.  I could not have asked for a more attentive and good team of nurses.  I was first one in, and last one to leave.  People were in and out, more men than women, and several came just for shots.  I overpacked.  They had blankets and pillows, and some colas and Ensures, crackers and pretzels.  No ice, but I had brought my own, and some lip balms, lotions, and lemon drops, snacks, book and magazines. Still at end of day, I just wanted to kick back and lay still.  Tonight I am tired.  No nausea or headache.  Ate mac and cheese, and lots of fruit tea , and took a long nap.  Not at all like I pictured.  Much simplier, efficent, and, I don't know how to describe, but sort of not personal.  I didn't get weepy or reflective or spirtual, and I am spiritual.  It was something I just had to do, and now I  only have to do it five more times.  I think I took some power back while sitting there.  I told cancer, ha ha, just wait and see what kind of night you have tonight.  Never mind about mine.   I hope everyone's went as well.  Can only wait and see what happens.  That's one of the things I hate the most about cancer.  Love to all.   

• rosesrx
    rosesrx Member Posts: 264
    Options

Well color me August.  Hello to a few of you July MXers.  Had my first visit with onc today.  Looks like TC every 3 weeks x 4 for me aka chemo lite.  He did do Oncytype DX but results will not be back for a couple weeks and he doesn't want to wait that long to start.  Will possible do first round without port in case Oncytype score comes back low and that opens things back up for discussion.  I will discuss all this with BS and PCP in near future.  So ondeck for this week is bonescan and full body CT.  

Peace and Blessings to All as I go back and read a few pages to get up to date with everyone's journey.  

Shawn

• 1WonderWoman
    Options

Adey: I have no clue what they are giving me!!!   Some sort of super unleaded!   I really don't know but I think it is TAC which I think stands for taxoterrible ariamyacardialinfarction cytoimgonnashitmyassoff!!!!  I need to double check the spelling...I am sorry, girls!  I am so short on the details of my poison! 

MMahle: sorry to hear about your daughter.  Sounds like you had a rough day.  I hope she is ok and that her test results are all good news tomorrow.  Best of luck.

DebJ: So your first day is over...nice, isn't it!?!  To know one is down and just a few more to go!  I wish you well and I hope your SE's are minimal to zero.

Iowa: Like I said, even if it is not too good, put some lipstick on it and KEEP SMILING!  We will all be ok...not every day...and this is clearly not a "clinical" diagnosis (he he he!) but we will get through the good and bad days ahead together.   Good luck this week.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

More new members!!!!!!!  Yeah!!!

Roserx

Monsich from Germany...another from across the pond!

Welcome to you both and like I tell everybody: I am happy to have you here with us but I am sure sad you meet the criteria to belong to this club!!!!

I hope you find support and inspiration through all of your chemo days ahead.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Age:  I just turned 40, in fact had my ultrasound (b/c did not want a mammo b/c did not want to be exposed to radiation!!!!!  how laughable that is now!!) on St. Pat's, and confirmed for cancer 2 days after TAX day in the US which is April 15th.   If, however, you all would like to have your ages listed, perhaps start your posts with your age in parenthesis?  That might do it.  I think that would be easiest because even if I collect all ages and put them next to your names on the member list, you all will have to keep going back and forth referencing that list.  If anyone has ideas, please let me know.  I will be glad to collect ages but I think for the purposes of ease and continuity, perhaps parenthesis with our age is best at the beginning of the post.

Ok, girls...good night, sweet dreams and a promise from me I will do all I can and be of as much support as I can for you all.

Your FEARLESS Leader!

• 1WonderWoman
    Options

Adey: Are you going to tell the press why animals are chasing you?!?  I am just wondering what Nancy Grace is going to do with your story! Good times, good stuff, Davie!

• 1WonderWoman
    Options

Adey: Are you going to tell the press why animals are chasing you?!?  I am just wondering what Nancy Grace is going to do with your story! Good times, good stuff, Davie!

• 1WonderWoman
    Options

Zenith: I could be wrong but I don't believe there is any prohibition on deodorant.  I am pretty sure there is not.  Glad to hear from you.

Adey: meant to tell you about scans: mugga Friday, CT Friday and port on Monday.  I might actually be starting next week.  The bone scan is the hardest to schedule and takes the longest to get the results back but they got right on it today.   That is Yale for you...a professional MACHINE!  I am so thankful to live close to that paradigm of higher living!

Liz

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    Options

Liz, your TAC description is tooo funny!!

• Gingerbrew
    Gingerbrew Member Posts: 1,997
    Options

I had my second chemo today. I was much more relaxed than the first time. It was much easier this time.

I asked for some help sleeping the first days after a round and got lorazepam, I haven't previously used any sort of sleeping agent so I will let you know how it works.  I didnt get home until after 7 PM.

My nurse said that the goal is to make all of the side effects better, we can't get perfect but we can try for better.   

My hair is falling out if I mess with it at all. I am afraid to put a comb to it for sure!   

Laters my friend

Ginger

• Well fellow Chemo-sabi's - I've been violently ill since about 7 pm.  Until then, things were going great.  I even went out and exercised - talk with friends on the phone, etc.  Suddenly I was standing there and it hit me -- I took a compozine but it was too late.  I threw it up a half hour later.  At that time, my friend happened to call and check up on me - she's an oncology nurse who just went through hell and back with her own BC treatment.  She told me to call the doctor immediately and get something stronger- that I should have zophran.  That if I kept dehydrating I could not eliminate the drugs and it would get worse.

I got the doctor who called back immediately and she called in a prescription for what she said was zophran - DH runs to get it and it's the same as what we have here but in a suppository form and double strength.  

I think it did help.  It slowed things way down.  I've been sipping pedialyte and ginger tea with a little sugar and salt added.  I just now started with coffee yogurt - I know it sounds weird, but it tastes good and I'm keeping it down so far.  Having an empty stomach with all of this makes it REALLY bad.

I'm very upset and discouraged that this is what my life will be for the next several months.  :( 

• lisasinglem
    lisasinglem Member Posts: 239
    Options

Zenith - I asked my onc specifically about anti-persperant, and he said there is no reason I can't wear it now.  When I get radiation they don't want any metal, which anti-persperant contains - but that won't happen for me until December or January.

Went in for Herceptin tx today.  I am just amazed at how quickly this all becomes so normal.  2 weeks ago, I had my port accessed for the first time and I was so scared.  Now, I sit with my music and my iPod and barely even notice, and I'm out of there in 35 minutes.

Next week, though, back to TCH. :-(

I noticed a lot of hair falling out this morning, and not on my head, if you know what I mean.  It is very odd.

• lisasinglem
    lisasinglem Member Posts: 239
    Options

Oh, and I am 40.

• mlv2356
    mlv2356 Member Posts: 22
    Options

calamtykel - i'm sorry to hear you are not feeling well with this round of treatment.  I just wanted to say i hope your feelings of upset and discouragement will pass.  I too found on my day 3 and 4 I felt really low, moody and that the world was out to crush me.  At my follow on appt with the Onc she confirmed that along with all the physical se we get chemo can also bring on mental se of depression, moodiness etc.  As you feel better, I hope your mood also feels better.  hang in there.

Michelle (42)

• Gingerbrew
    Options

Round two post two:  

So now it is 2:49 AM and here I sit, not asleep. I think I need to look up this lorazempam and see what it does.  My legs are wonky sort of twitchy feeling. My toes feel funny and so do my finger tips. I am not very nauseas, just a little. I have the stinky headache already, took some Ibuprophen. 

I don't want to feel so bad this time.   

I give myself the Newlasta injection tomorrow. Then all hell breaks loose in my bone marrow. 

Night, I hope Ginger

• Gingerbrew
    Options

Round two post two:  

So now it is 2:49 AM and here I sit, not asleep. I think I need to look up this lorazempam and see what it does.  My legs are wonky sort of twitchy feeling. My toes feel funny and so do my finger tips. I am not very nauseas, just a little. I have the stinky headache already, took some Ibuprophen. 

I don't want to feel so bad this time.   

Night, I hope Ginger