Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

August 2010...anyone starting chemo besides me?!

Options
1309310311312313315»

Comments

• 1WonderWoman
    1WonderWoman Member Posts: 1,796
    Options

HELLO MY PRECIOUS
    WARRIORS!!!!!!!

And a GREAT, BIG hello to Wherria and
    LadyinBama!!!   I am so glad that you guys have posted---and quite recently!!  

I am officially 1/2 an RN!
      I am well on my way to helping all the others with all kinds of cancer,
    and as you all might suspect, I am particularly enthralled about helping our
    sisters in the fight.   I sooo look forward to telling them my story,
    especially that by the time I graduate and pass the NCLEX, I will be also
    celebrating my 10 YEAR ANNIVERSARY!!  It took me over a year in the program, to admit to my wonderful advisor and another member of the faculty, whom I really respect and appreciate, that I indeed have breast cancer.  The faculty now largely are "in the know," yet very few of my classmates know.

The reason being is although the median age in the program is likely 39ish, I am very friendly with a lot of the under 30 crowd.  People have told me I put a great face on this disease, a story of being triumphant against a lot of odds, yet I don't want to scare the younger women in my group.  Before graduation, I plan to be more open about it, but for now, it is still my secret for the most part.  How do you guys deal with disseminating what I now consider to be fairly private information?

I would be interested to hear your feedback.  I give this website information out to people on occasion, when I meet someone in the struggle whom I deem might be helped by following our stories.  I hope that this thread brings great joy and encouragement to many, many people in this fight.

I really want more people to
    come back and post, telling their stories, and giving updates.  Ten years
    is a long time, and from everything they tell us, we have nothing but good things
    to expect after that momentous anniversary.

I would so love to hear from everyone and I would absolutely welcome the idea of planning a 10 year anniversary celebration, perhaps in Vegas, or some other spot we could all agree on.  I mean, after 10 years, we all totally deserve a great, big, fun celebration!   

Happy trails to all of you and many, many thanks for all the support you all gave to each and everyone one of us as we all engaged in a valiant fight for our lives--I think of you often :)

Signed,

Your Fearless Leader (yea, right!) 

• LadyinBama
    LadyinBama Member Posts: 993
    Options

Congrats on being halfway there Lizzie. I'd love to meet you all in Vegas or somewhere to celebrate our 10 years!

On your question about sharing or not your diagnosis ... I am totally "out" with my cancer. Mostly because I got involved in advocacy for ovarian cancer. I work in the public eye all the time and tell my story of back-to-back cancer, first breast, then ovarian. But I can understand the hesitation on other's part. I'm older and no longer working, so I don't have as much on the line as some younger women who are still on the career path. Basically, I guess I have nothing to lose by being open. It's an individual decision. Love to all, hope to hear from some others.

PS I updated my photo to one taken in November. A little older and grayer, but healthy and happy!

• IowaSue45
    IowaSue45 Member Posts: 422
    Options

Hi ladies,

Miss you all. Life is good we are blessed. I have been healthy and thriving. Im on 0 meds. Coming up on 9 years next month 😲 hard to believe. 1130 pm here in Iowa I will stop back and post more.

• 1WonderWoman
    Options

Helloooo ladies!!!

I am sooo glad to hear from a few of you! Ladies-----*****TEN***** YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Would you 2 join me in a cross-country, fragmented duet of "We Are The Champions?!!!!" I am so excited you guys posted! I was a little worried that no one would check in, so thank you both.

Bama- You look grrrrreat!!!! It is wonderful that you so openly share to help others. I find myself sharing bits and pieces of my battle with patients in my clinical experiences---ya know, just when I feel it might help---and it usually does!!! I would love to meet in Vegas--even if it is just the 3 of us!!! Meaning me, you and Iowa!

Sue---You look grrreat as well!!!! You ladies are doing fabulously! You look like you are having the time of your life! I am still on Tamox, but they say I am coming off on my 10 year, which of course is next year.

I am so excited for us! We have done so well. I graduate next year and might even become a traveling nurse, so perhaps I will meet up with you both as I do the cross-country tour! I really don't think about cancer anymore, but if anything strange is happening, it is the 2nd thing I think of! I am sure it is some hazy shade of the same for you both.

Well keep in touch, keep posting and let's see how many might meander back and check on us during this year coming up to our 1 decade anniversary :)

Alas, we have made it---and as always, all my best-

Your Fearless Leader!

• 1WonderWoman
    Options

Hello, Ladies!

I hope you are well! I could not help but think about all of you, and especially you, LadyinBama, as JNJ is quite publicly taken-to-task for their powder and the disproportionate number of cases of cancers affecting the female reproductive tract, and it's related organs, for many years now.

I am quite confident, in the fullness of time, deodorant will be next. After all these years, and all these studies, I do believe that deodorant could---at least in part---be causing breast cancers. I am sure studies are forthcoming, or have already been done, about how where deodorant sells the most, that breast cancer cases are equally as prevalent.

We shall see, but I cannot help but think about all of you at times like this.

I hope that everyone is well-

Signed,

Your *FOREVER* Fearless Leader!

• Timibcuz360
    Timibcuz360 Member Posts: 3
    Options

hey anybody who remembers me, I was "texasrose361" but I had to deal with other stuff and don't have access to the email address I used to use. Doesn't look like many of you still go here any how... If you want to pm me to catch u

• sptmm62
    sptmm62 Member Posts: 527
    Options

Tex!!!! How are you?? 1WonderWoman and I wonder about you often. Hope you are doing well. I don’t come here anymore but I got an email notification about your post. I’m still in touch with 1WonderWoman, Our Fearless Leader, but not so much anyone else. So happy you reached out.

• 1WonderWoman
    Options

TEXXXXX!!!!!!!!! OMFG!!! So damn good to hear from you! I reached out to Deb on FB and she alerted me there was a post on here!! It is so good to know you are okay! I finally graduated, I am an RN!!!! It took almost what little bit of life I had left in me after BC to complete that extremely rigorous course of study, but alas I know I am exactly where I should be as I love nursing! I am so happy you posted again---this made my entire month living in this Covid quarantine in Connecticut! This has been hard, I know 5 people that died and one was a classmate from nursing school. In any event, please keep in touch----I think you should still have my number? PM me if you need it and this is the best---such a gift to hear from you!

• 1WonderWoman
    Options

Hello everyone else-----and that would be nobody, I guess?! In any case, just so you all know, your Fearless Leader is still kicking! If anyone is still around, if even just lurking and reading, but not posting, I am happy we all made it this far. Amazing---and so many new developments in our corner of the cancer world. Every few months it seems like there is more promise, more good news! We can remain cautiously optimistic!!

All my best-

• 1WonderWoman
    Options

Deb!!!! You look fan-tastic!!! Remember "My Blue Heaven" with Rick Moranis and Steve Martin? There is a scene where he says to this woman, in the frozen foods department no less- "you are so hot, you could melt all this stuff!!" Deb, I think Steve would also say that to you should he find you in a similar situation! You really do look great :) Glad you are doing well!

• LadyinBama
    Options

Hello Lizzie and others. I got a message from a friend today who has just been diagnosed with breast cancer. In thinking about her, I realized that this month is TEN YEARS since we all started chemotherapy. Wow, look how far we have come. We had talked at one time of having a 10 year reunion, but looks like Covid has nixed that idea, but I just wanted to check in and say that I still think of you all. Whenever I find out someone has been diagnosed with breast cancer, the first place I send her is to breastcancer.org for great support and information. Love to all!

• 1WonderWoman
    Options

Hello to all my WARRIORS and LadyinBama, in particular, who graciously posted to celebrate our 10 year anniversary-

Happy

Heart

It is hard to believe that we are celebrating 10 years here! This is so exciting---I will be 100% honest and admit that I never saw me making it this far---ever! When this whole thing got started, I thought I would make it maybe 5 or 6 years, at best. I am kind of stunned to still be here!

I hope others are still among us. Whitney, Timothea, and I know LI Deb is doing well. What about Omaz? It is amazing, I do think of our shared experience and support on this thread---we were only dotted lines to each other in a very dark period in our lives. I am forever grateful for each and every one of you, that I had you to look to for support and kindness during such a rough time. You all really meant a lot to me, and you still do.

I would love to hear from others, just with an update as to how you are doing.

Alas, it is breast cancer "awareness" month---I am still not sure about how I feel about this. I wish I saw more people getting help through what is often a protracted battle with breast cancer. It just seems all those dollars are raised and they flow to dubious places because I have yet to hear even one of my fellow breast cancer sisters say that they felt helped, or supported, by any of these organizations that collect tons of money on the back of breast cancer during this awareness.

All I have heard is people getting no support and then I had my wonderful "ride" from the ACS, after one of my huge surgeries, and that was with a woman who told me it was "god's will" that so many were dying of cancer!!! I am not even sure I ever shared that with any of you! She seriously said that. On that note, I wish I could say I got no support, whatsoever! I did tell the ACS about my experience, awful as it was.

If anyone posts, perhaps mention your own experience with trying to get support or help during your cancer battles. Help in any form, really--does not have to be particular.

In any event, I hope you are all well. Check in, let us know (and, no, I will never stop encouraging ya' all to come back and write an update, even though my requests are largely ignored!!!)

Finally, everyone should watch TikTok---it is not just kids doing dances, but rather TikTok is intuitive and it learns what you like. There are a lot of people on there with cancer and they could always use some support, especially from us, who were there and got past it. There are great pet videos as well---and the hugely popular "Dogface" challenge where people are rollerskating, or riding skateboards--or otherwise in motion (Kevin Bacon!)--listening to Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams" and drinking cranberry juice---or eating dried cranberries (Kevin Bacon!)---and it is entertaining! Watch it at night, while in bed, to enjoy some entertainment and change the channel for the day. Just don't stay up all night trying to learn the dances!!!!

Ok, back to the World Series for me! GO DODGERS! Of course, I would prefer the Yankees were playing, but no one ever asks me!!!!

Signed,

Your--FOREVER--Fearless Leader :)

BTW, your Fearless Leader is now an RN and I am starting law school next year, so TAKE THAT, BREAST CANCER!

• 1WonderWoman
    Options

Helloooooo to all my LOVELY WARRIORS!

A year has passed and not a peep out of any of you! I can only hope that all is well as I don't want to spend time wondering why I have not heard from any of you.

This thread was started in July 2010. It is perfectly hard to believe that it has been over 12 years---12 GLORIOUS YEARS! In the fullness-of-time, and as the years pass, I am so amazed at how wonderful this whole experience is. The highs, the lows--all of it. Life is one magnificent ride, every last bit of it!

Lady in Bama? LI Deb? Where are you 2 stalwarts?! Lady, you are likely watching that Bama football and rightfully so, it is exciting!

Over this past year, my plans changed from law school to my Masters. I was accepted to law school, but I decided to become an APRN. What a journey I went through from dx, to all those surgeries and chemo, to nursing school and now to my Masters! It is invigorating and surprising, all at once.

It would be nice to hear from any of you, just to see how you are doing.

Each year, I will come back to this site and post. Each year I will also provide some news on research and developments in breast cancer research. In my estimation, the link I am going to share here, this news went without much fanfare, yet it is indeed pivotal. At the University of Cincinnati, researchers discovered a gene that drives both HER2- and ER+ BC cases. The overall sentiment is that by targeting MED1, the gene in question, or targeting it in combination, may effectively tx 90% of BC cases. I don't know about any of you, but this got by me, until recently. Here goes:

UC research shows how two genes cooperate in breast cancer development, could lead to better targeted treatment | University Of Cincinnati

It would be nice to hear from someone...anyone?! Celebrate every day and for those of you reading this, be grateful we survived.

Signed always and forever,

YOUR FEARLESS LEADER

• LadyinBama
    Options

Hello Lizzie, fearless leader, keeper of the thread. Thank you for your dedication to checking in on us all. Nothing exciting happening with me, just getting through the days and adjusting to another new normal in the time of Covid. I've used this time to do a lot of stuff around my house. I think I've painted every surface that can be painted - walls, furniture. The ovarian cancer support group I was involved in is in the processing of dissolving as a 501c3, long story, but since I'm the director of that, it is taking up a lot of my time right now to handle all the paperwork, disburse our property and funds, and just generally wrap things up. Besides that, I'm looking forward to what the future holds as I now have time to move on to other things. I hope and pray that everyone is moving on with a happy, healthy life, and that we will continue to hold each other in our hearts. Love, Bama (and my football team is the Auburn TIgers, which is also in Alabama. Not Alabama in Tuscaloosa. That's our biggest rival, though lately they've been everyone's biggest rival, lol! War Eagle!)

• 1WonderWoman
    Options

Hellooooo, MY WARRIORS!

Geesh--I do feel as if I am calling out, hoping for an echo!!

I am not sure if anyone reads anymore, anyway, but I have to say that although I missed our "pink month" and making a post at that time, I did NOT MISS the fact that there is now a vaccine---or close to one---to help those with advanced stages???!!!! This is a huge development, and although the trial was not an official randomized clinical, we cannot yet exactly count on the results, but by god---THIS IS AUSPICIOUS!

As you all know, I am now an RN and am becoming an APRN. Based on what I know, physiologically speaking, in the event it helped late stages, this could well lend it will help all stages!!! I am so excited for the next tests of this vaccine!

I've no clue who, of this original very large group, still walk among us, but I am cautiousl y optimistic many of you are still out there.

As for me, busy with grad school and work. I have to say that although cancer was an absolute mental, emotional and financial catastrophic event, somehow I transitioned to a much better path in life. I love nursing and am happy I took the time and capital to go back to school, in the middle of my life, post that protracted battle and from the weakest position I ever found myself. If ever there was a silver lining...!

I want to say, for anyone who might happen upon this link and read our posts, that if you find yourself without much support, going through this battle, or you find yourself spread thin, being repeatedly called upon by people who have counted on you to care for them, their entire lives, don't be afraid to say no. I put myself first and there was negligible support from family, or actually none, but there were friends and good people that crossed my path during the entire challenge. I also took great, great solace in running this thread and connecting with all of my WARRIORS, who were a source of support and comfort, and represented people I could identify with. You all meant the world to me then, and you still do!

DEODORANT: As time has marched on, and I have done more research, I am more convinced than ever that the position everyone suffocates their glands with, every freakin' day, which is riddled with things like propylene oxide (omg) and that which is hydrolyzed into propylene glycol (seriously?) is the definitive culprit in the development of breast cancer, for millions of women, the world over. I remember getting ready for the gym, and as sweat smells (thanks, bacteria!) and I did some serious, serious workouts, I would roll that awful crap across my underarms BEFORE going to the gym. I now realize I was suffocating my glands, which were trying diligently to get fluid out of my body, fighting through that poison frosting I had put across their exit. They worked and worked and worked and finally broke through the poison, letting fluid out, but alas what got in? The propylene devils---into my glands, into my lymphatic system where it sat, waiting to start trouble. I know they finally took JNJ to task for the baby powder and female system cancers, but they never addressed deodorant. I think it is critically, critically, critically important that no one use the mass manufactured deodorants anymore---seek out healthy alternatives---of which there are a plethora now. Even when the mass manufactured say they are "healthy," in this we should not trust. What is not lost on me is the fact that women became so self-conscious about their "odors" that they put poison on their nether regions, and caked poison across their underarms, all in the hopes of not smelling. Ricky Gervais once said "just because you're offended does not mean you are right!" Choose health.

In any case----a vaccine ladies?!! WOW!

All my very best to each and every one of you---MUCH LOVE-

YOUR FEARLESS LEADER

FOREVER!