Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

August 2010...anyone starting chemo besides me?!

Options

Comments

• I've returned from the world of the dead.....  The nausea went away around 2 am and I slept on and off, but most off, because I kept on drinking all night to make up for lost fluids so I was peeing like crazy, which I figured is a good thing and a good sleep trade off.

I'm up and around now.  I just took my day 2 Emend even though I was feeling better.  Now I have some heartburn - hope it's not from the emend.  Will try a stool softener in a bit, just to prevent problems, but last night I had it coming out of both ends, so I imagine there's nothing left right now.

Neulasta shot today.  Going to try for some ibuprophen before I leave if my stomach is settled enough to manage it.  I had a soft boiled egg and finished the coffee yogurt from last night, so at least there is finally something in my stomach.

I'm hoping that was "it" as far as the vomiting part at least!  For this round!

• anybody know if you can take ibuprophen and or tylenol with emend?

I want to take something before the neulasta to try to head off some leg aches.......

• flopsy
    flopsy Member Posts: 43
    Options

Calamtykel--My onc said it was fine to take Aleve or Tylenol at any time as long as you don't overdo the dosage.  I would verify with the onc nurse but I know Tylenol is not a problem unless you have liver damage and Aleve can irritate the stomach so watch out for that.  Good luck and hope this helps. LOL,gin2ca

• monisch
    monisch Member Posts: 43
    Options

hi ladies, thanks for the warm welcome !!!  Im 46 years old, American living in northern Germany ( my husband is German ). I have 3 children.... daughter 21, son 19 and another son 13.

Was odd the first time i had my chemo session.. I was the youngest one there and thought.. im to young for this crap....im in the wrong film.. if ya know what i mean.

anyway..yesterday i posted a reply.... I was in a pretty good state of mind... today however...3 things are bringing me down. I have to leave today again for home.. meaning leaving my daughter behind in Frankfurt, I got my period today..which always makes me cranky and also today it's very noticable that my hair has started its " bye bye " process. I sit here crying for actually no reason.. gosh I hate that.. feel so out of control sometimes.  Im sure you all know what i mean

I hope everyone is doing well.... thanks for the support !!!

• Ann97
    Ann97 Member Posts: 142
    Options

Calamtykel:  You sounded so positive in your posts during treatment (other than the $ part - ugh).  I'm glad to hear that went okay.  How did getting up and down for trips to the bathroom go during treatment?   So sorry to hear that things went so far  downhill in the evening.   Did the zophran help?

Rachel:  I too am anxious to hear how the wigs from China look.  At .05 cents, what have you got to lose?

Liz:  Did you do anything active?  I started back at work yesterday and it is nice to have something else to think about all day long.  I completely understand what you mean about feeling like you should take the longer treatment choice.  You need to follow your gut and do what will make you feel better in the end.  Do you know why the 2nd onc preferred the 6?

LadyinBama:  I'm sorry to hear about the drain.  I hated the drains!  How long have you had it in?  I had such a hard time sleeping until the drains were out and the wounds were healed enough that I could sleep on my side.  Keep lying low!

Zenith:  No one told me not to use my deodorant and I've been using mine.

IowaSue:  I just turned 43 yesterday.

DebJ:  Wow was that a long day.  I hope you are feeling okay today.

Ginger:  So sorry about your night :(.  Did you get any sleep at all?

Monisch, Angelice and Keepingthefaith:  Welcome!

Is anyone running with tissue expanders?  If yes, how long did it take you to get over feeling like you were wearing a lead vest during the run?

• jsw19
    jsw19 Member Posts: 212
    Options

Hi gang, I have been reading but not posting these last couple days and I am glad to see we are all doing pretty well.  I was feeling very so-so on Sunday and Monday, I guess from the bit of Taxotere I did manage to get before having my allergic reaction on Friday.  I felt mildly nauseated but eating small meals helped.  I have also been having trouble sleeping for about a month now and yesterday I felt particularly groggy.  This afternoon I am going in to meet with my onc and discuss what to do next.  My impression so far has been that my onc is really trying to not over-medicate and in doing so has ended up under-medicating me.  I understand the desire to not throw tons of medications at people but in this case I think I need it!  So my plan is to refuse to leave his office until he gives me at least 3 prescriptions - for steroids to take the day before my next treatment, anti-nausea meds to take after (he did not want to give me these last time I asked), and something to help me sleep. 

Regarding deodorant, I also think we are fine to wear it during chemo, I was told that during radiation it can worsen the skin irritation.

I love that you ladies are getting creative with trying out cheap wigs!  I have heard so much about how hot and uncomfortable they are (and I'm already hot and uncomfortable living in Florida in August) that I haven't even wanted to try them.  Maybe in a couple of months when it starts to cool off I'll get one.

Wherria, I hope Bixby is getting better.  My darling cat is recovering well from her leg amputation a month ago but now my vet is recommending getting her checked out by a cardiologist.  She had a blood clot in her leg (that is what made her need the amputation) and he is hearing a heart murmur so he is worried about her heart.  So stressful to have our fur babies not feeling well too!  And I am sorry to hear that you had menopause so early and have been unable to have kids.  That is my big worry right now, I am currently getting injections of Lupron to try to help protect my ovaries during chemo. 

It is interesting seeing everyone's ages, when I was diagnosed I thought I would be the youngest around but it seems like many of us are in our 30s and 40s.  I am 32. 

Welcome to our new friends and good luck to everyone starting this week!  Hopefully I will be able to have my second attempt at starting chemo later this week.

• mommichelle
    mommichelle Member Posts: 92
    Options

I am 36.  Two little ones 5 and 3 and a wondeful husband.  Nervous but anxious about starting chemo on Thursday (TCH).  Hope everyone has been doing well and I will certainly be thinking about my chemo buddies on the 19th!  Here's to getting 1 down!

• libraylil
    libraylil Member Posts: 325
    Options

Calamtykel, glad you are on the mend.  I went into school for a couple of hours yesterday and today, before the official start day to get some work done.  I agree, an empty stomach makes the nausea worse.  I also find yogurt something I want to eat.  Hang in there.  We have one down.  (Personally, I want to treat myself to a new pandora bracelet and add a bead with each TCH.) Beth

• libraylil
    libraylil Member Posts: 325
    Options

Anyone been to "Look Good, Feel Good"?  I'm going tonight.  Bought a wig for 29.00 locally and it looks pretty good.  My stylist is going to trim the bangs.  No hair loss so far, but I have a feeling it is imminent.  My new Kate Gosselin look.Beth

• 1WonderWoman
    1WonderWoman Member Posts: 1,796
    Options

Liz (40)

Calamtykel: Sorry you had a rough first day but I do have to say, "chemo-sabi's!" is great...we are going to own that title now, woman!   Thanks for the clever input!  I am glad you are feeling better today.

Ginger: I was up on and off all night thinking about "stuff" and was reading your posts.   I hope you, too, are better today.

Monsich: I think your stomach pain was your "system" switching gears from "hey, I want to hold on for dear life to this stuff" and then realizing there were jokers in your system that required eliminating and said "hit the release button FAST!" and this is why your stomach hurt!   I am no MD but if you stay in this system long enough, you can pass on a little experiential advice!

JSW: I admire your spirt in wrestling those scripts out of your doc!  What is the advantage of taking steroids the day before?   Just wondering.  Your poor, poor kitty.  I had a mentally ill neighbor who liked to drink (great combo) and she would take her 3 legged dog for walks at night but in winter in Connecticut...all I could think was that dog is going to come back and haunt her after he expires!  He was so cute but can you imagine how uncomfortable it was for him b/c  he knew if he sat down he would have another problem!  Poor dog.  He was lucky, however, as all her personalities knew she had a dog but she also had cats and some of the personalities knew she had cats and others did not.  Her parents were wealthy so they bought her this condo and "cushioned' her from institutionalization.  I felt bad for the poor cats getting tossed out!   Geez, Louise...what a world!  She would also randomly accuse her neighbors of breaking into her condo and got an elderly couple so upset with her accusations, they sold their condo!  They said crazy or not, she can cause us damage!  Alas I digress...!

Libraylil: good idea on the Pandora bracelet...in fact, clever!  That is a nice way of marking each one as DONE and giving yourself treats as you go through this process.   Good for you.   Also, I have not been to "Look Good, Feel Good" but if it is internet based, I will check it out.

Good day, all and I hope something good happens to each and every one of you today. 

Your FEARLESS Leader!

• 57Coleen
    57Coleen Member Posts: 27
    Options

Calamytkel, so sorry about your rough time.  I also had 2nd chemo yesterday.  I couldn't sleep last night because of jitteryness, but the Lorazapam helps and I am able to keep nausea down with zofran.  I am allergic to compazine big time. Talked to my Onc about my conrerns for heart damage and peripheral nerve damage.  She won't let me take any supplements except a daily multiple and calcium an magnesium.  She said heart damage is rare if the dose isn't given too high but chanes are I may have some miminal pheripheral damage which may go away after time.  Since I travel 3 hours to my treatments, the nurse suggested I wear pressure socks on travel days since i have a history of blood clots. I am going to work this afternoon for a couple of hours.  I mangae a senior housing complex.  Hang in there coleen

Lizzymackl, I sure enjoy your good nature, information and the poem you posted.  Thanks for all you do for this site, Coleen  

• rachel5738
    rachel5738 Member Posts: 658
    Options

My husband bought me a pandora bracelet and with every chemo and treatment---one more charm will add. Something nice to get through this whole thing :)

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    Options

That is so sweet!

• 57Coleen
    57Coleen Member Posts: 27
    Options

Welcom new members Angelice, & Keepingthefaith.  If you are like me you never imagined that you would be on a cancer site.  Cancer seems to be learking everwhere, but glad you found a place to vent and connect with other women.  It helps me I know.  Since my diagnosis, I have been eating as much organic as possible. Changed my personal care items to contain no paragens, sulfates, dyes or harsh chemicals  I have gone Go Green on my cleaning products and wear gloves. I wash my hands often and certainly always after being in public places. My diet consists of a lot of vegetables whole grains.  No red meat and some non-homrone non-antibiotic chicken or wild fish. I now use bare minerals make -up and an looking for a non-toxic nail colorer if anyone knows about one,  I will worry about a non-toxic hair color when done with treatment.  Good Luck Gals.  Coleen 

• jsw19
    jsw19 Member Posts: 212
    Options

Well I am back from seeing my onc and now I have a new plan.  Originally I wanted to give Taxotere one more try but take steroids the day before to help prevent another allergic reaction (Liz that is why I was wanting the steroid prescription).  My onc was not in favor of this plan, he said that his experience has been that people who have as bad a reaction as I do just end up having a worse reaction the second time.  So he recommended just giving up on the TCH regimen and going with AC followed by Abraxane.  Abraxane is a taxane like Taxotere but is made with a different base and so is typically tolerated well by people who are allergic to Taxotere.  I was not thrilled with this idea because I have heard that AC is rougher than TCH but Taxotere was turning out to be pretty rough on me so it really does seem like this is what I need to do.  I am still a little worried about the heart considerations with AC because I already started Herceptin a month ago.  But we are going to stop the Herceptin for the duration of AC and restart it when I start the Abraxane.  I had a MUGA 3 weeks ago and was at 63% so fingers crossed that the AC will kill the cancer and leave my heart alone! 

It turns out that I did get a quarter of the prescribed dose of Taxotere before having my reaction last week and I told my onc about not feeling so well Sunday and Monday.  He felt like I did not need to have steroids to take in advance of the AC but did give me prescriptions for Emend and Zofran to ward off nausea on the AC regimen and Ambien for sleep.  So I am happy about that.  Because of getting a fair amount of the Taxotere he wanted to wait until next Friday (8/27) to start the AC.  I guess now I'm back into the "future dates" part of our list!  Now I must start doing my research on AC and Abraxane so I feel more prepared.

I love the idea of getting a Pandora bracelet and new charms to mark the treatments.  What a fun way to make this whole process a little nicer!

Also, I went to a Look Good Feel Better class last week.  It was a lot of fun and they give you an amazing amount of free makeup!  It is nice to get tips on how to deal with hair loss (both hair on your head and eyebrows/eyelashes) and pampering yourself with pretty makeup is always fun.

• lisasinglem
    lisasinglem Member Posts: 239
    Options

Calamtykel - I just wanted to send good vibes your way, and I hope that things are improving for you.  I will have TCH #2 next week, and already I've kind of forgotten the worst of it from treatment #1.  Weird, huh?

Rachel5738 - That is a great idea, and very sweet of your husband.  I want to think of something like that to record each passing tx.

I went to an acupuncturist today for the first time.  I feel great right now!  I'm going to see her the day before and 2 days after my next tx.  Hoping it will help.  Anyone else try acupuncture?

• 1WonderWoman
    Options

QUESTION!  For those of you who had the bone scan, please tell me it is NOT like the MRI machine!!!   Seriously, I looked at a pic on line and it looks just like the MRI but a larger opening.   I am a wee bit claustrophobic and since 9/11, flying and crowds make me a nervous wreck.  Please, if you have to tell me it is like the MRI, tell me it is a bigger opening?!   Also, how long does the scan take?

Colleen57: It is very good to make some changes to your diet and I am glad you have taken that initiative but just be sure not to be secretly placing blame on yourself for eating red meat or doing something wrong in your diet to cause bc.   It is easy to secretly blame yourself or something you did to cause bc.  Martina Navratalova, arguably one of the most fit, healthy women of her generation, was dx'd with bc back in April (or March...I forget) so that take health and fitness out of the equation!  No one really knows but one woman did tell me she had a recurrence after reintroducing a synthetic sweetener she liked back into her diet.  For us now that we have this, we do have to make more healthful choices.  You all keep seeing me write about phenylketoneurics and get used to watching out for that word.   That is another one to avoid.

Good day, all

Liz

• 1WonderWoman
    Options

Musical Treats for chemo days!

Just in case someone is not aware, there are internet based radio stations called Pandora and Slacker.  Both offer free, relatively commercial-free and thereby, non-stop music.  On Pandora you can make stations of your favorits artists and on Slacker you can make generational stations.   Just thought I would mention this so we all use our Blackberrys correctly!  Plug in your headphones and forget about life for a while!  

Liz

• lizzy - the bone scan is sort of like an MRI but it's more like a donut instead of a tube.  Part of it does come close to your head but doesn't stay there, you sort of move in and out of it.  I fell asleep.  The room was dimmed and the bed was very comfy - a sheeted mattress with a real pillow.  I was afraid of falling asleep and twitching! It was a long, but easy test.  :)

I'm doing better today.  I'm tired but not completely exhausted and destroyed.  Just had the big "N" shot - I'm told I can take percocet if the pain gets bad.  And was told to keep on the compozine along with the amend.  Wish she'd called in the zofran too - not sure why she's hesitant but whatever.  I'm hoping today and tomorrow I don't get bad again with the nausea as the day wears on.  I'm just not hungry - actually I am but I'm afraid to and don't feel like eating anything.  Nothing sounds good.   Maybe I'll try some scrambled eggs. Our hens are laying really well now!

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    Options

Liz-

OMG!  That TAC description was hilarious, I'm sending it to my onc.  (c:  The CT is easy for me now that they know I'm allergic and prep me, the MUGA I was nervous about (never had it) but easy breezy too.  Take blood, mix it with radioactive crap, put back in, take pictures.  Bone scan, shot with tiny needle full of radioactive crap, wait, and take more pictures.  I'm not claustrophobic but I don't recall anything being over or by my face, does that help?  Probably not, but I tried... I was distracted by the animals chasing me!  You must feel good that things are progressing.  My burn is finally healing and I just want to start too- and end.  I'll probably be hitting Christmas and maybe the New Year now, boo.  Oh well.  Getting a little freaky now that I feel fine but know I have chemo coming very soon.  I watched My Sister's Keeper today... crikey!

calamtykel-

Sorry to hear of your discomfort.  Warm and healing thoughts coming your way.

• mommi- I keep that in my  mind too - "one down"  - one less treatment - as I was hanging over the toilet and sink last night!  ONE DOWN - only THREE AC's left, and then four taxol.  When I think "Just three more AC's" it seems manageable.  I haven't gotten to "worrying" about the taxol just yet.  ;) 

Today has been  a better day.  Do I feel like myself?  No.  Do I feel like eating?  Nope.  Like something foreign is in my body and I can't escape it.  It knows how to deal with bacteria, viruses and such, but now it's saying to me "Whaddya doin' to me??"  

All in all, my tummy is jittery feeling but haven't thrown up and it's not quite nausea.  Compozine's making me a little dizzy.  No bone pain yet from the neulasta (how long does that take to kick in?)  

• Ann: I drank a ton during the infusion and also was giving a load of liquids through the IV.  :0)  I made sure to pee many times during the treatment.  Don't hold it in!  Cytoxan is very toxic to the bladder, my nurse told me!  So you have to get it out.  I didn't find bathroom trips hard at all - I just took my IV with me on wheels.  The only thing was that I had the bad IV machine that didn't have the battery kick on so as soon as I'd leave, it would start to beep and the nurse would have to reset it each time when I'd return. 

The treatment itself wasn't bad.  Had I KNOWN that nausea would kick in about four hours later I could have headed it off with the anti-nausea that they sent home with me.  They just told me "as needed"  Trouble is, I didn't know I needed it until it was too late.  I didn't think nausea would kick in until the next day.  But it kicked in when the iv meds wore off.  I have since found that out by reading online.

Now I know for next time.  

• sptmm62
    sptmm62 Member Posts: 527
    Options

Hey Liz! 

Bone scan is not bad.  A part of the scanner (a flat piece, like a small wall) does come down really close to your face, which was kind of scary for me.  I too am slightly claustrophobic and was terrified during the MRI but I made it through.  I got a little nervous with that piece in my face, but I just closed my eyes and I was okay.  The sides of your head are completely out in the air, so that makes it manageable. 

Iowasue:  I am 48, which around here seems like a senior citizen, but all the doctors keep referring to how young I am!  I have four kids, 27, 25, 17, and 12. 

Calm:  I am so sorry you had such trouble, I am glad you are feeling better.

I am getting ready for treatment #2 on Friday.  I can only hope it goes as well as #1. 

• Well, mashed potatoes seems to be the silver bullet for me!  My aunt brought us dinner and that's all I wanted, with the cooked broccoli.  It feels great to finally have a full tummy - hoping I got the worst of the nausea on day 1 and maybe the next two days will be better?    Praying that way anyway!

• sptmm62
    sptmm62 Member Posts: 527
    Options

Just out of curiousity fellow chemo gals...how many hairs does the average human being have on their head.  I am losing about 100 or so a day (at least), and I am beginning to wonder just how many days before I go completely bald...lol!  Seriously, I was not thinking about buzzing as I cut my hair really short before starting chemo, but I am beginning to consider it.  It is rather annoying losing the hair piece by piece and finding it all over the place!  And everytime I shower and then brush my hair, I have to call someone in to check for bald spots..LOL!

• IowaSue45
    IowaSue45 Member Posts: 422
    Options

WOW I am feeling like the old one of the bunch lol, no wonder you all look so young you are.

• sweeney
    sweeney Member Posts: 311
    Options

Oh my gosh, I cannot believe how active this thread is! We went to the cottage for the week (yes, week 2 after chemo I felt that good!) and I come back to more than 250 posts!!! I just can't believe how many of us are August chemos. Glad to hear that everyone is making it through.

Just a question about hair loss and wigs. I bought a wig yesterday, thought I liked it and now can't stand it. I feel like the biggest fake in it. Like I have a skunk or raccoon on my head. My husband says it looks exactly like an old haircut I had a couple of years ago. He says it looks great. Does anyone else hate wigs? I wanna walk around bald. It feels better, but I'm really reluctant to. And scarves are okay, but I do feel like a bit of a pirate in one. Does anyone else think it's weird that we're all covering our heads up? I'm bald, so what??! But still, I cover up. What's up with that??? Anyway, just some rambling thoughts on hair loss.

As to how many hairs on a human head? Not sure, but 4 days ago I was at the point where I was pulling out 500 or so in one run through. That's when I knew it was time to shave it off. The kids cut it first, giving me a mullet and then a mohawk. Then Rob (DH) shaved it off, he said, "This wasn't something I ever pictured having to do...." Truer words were never spoken.

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    Options

I haven't started yet (next Tuesday) but my friend and I looked at wigs yesterday and I took one home, tried it on, thought it looked silly and felt scratchy.  I thought, so why not be bald, wear a scarf or a hat if my head gets cold.  Maybe a little tan.

I'm 51

• sweeney
    sweeney Member Posts: 311
    Options

Calamtykel- The Neulasta took about 24-36 hours for me to feel real pain. But my onco said that only some people feel like they've been hit by transport truck. Others have nothing. So hopefully you're in the nothing category. She's now given me Tylenol 3s for the next round. Good luck!

• DebJ
    DebJ Member Posts: 41
    Options

Calamtykel, sorry you've had such a rough time.  I have not been sick but I just as so tired and wornout.  Honestly by the time the last bag was running, it felt like it was sucking the life out of me.  But, I did get dressed and drive to get Neulasta shot this a.m.,  I am taking Tylenol and hoping to ward off those SEs.  I was hoping to get some real time in on my job this week, but who knows.  Just hoping it doesn't get worse, and hoping I can work full time next week anyway.  Have to say, despite everything I've read and been told and researched I am still dismayed as to the affects this life saving treatment can hold over you.  I am wishing for my old, dull, know where you're going to be and what you're going to be doing life just now.