Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

August 2010...anyone starting chemo besides me?!

Comments

• ckptry
    ckptry Member Posts: 333

Hi,

I just need to vent a little. I am being seen at MSKCC Basking Ridge. I met an oncologist at the main hospital in NYC and then decided to do my treatment in NJ b/c it is closer to home and less time for someone to watch the kids. I am not thrilled with the onc there, but just want to get my treatments and then follow up with the oncologist in NY after chemo. The NJ onc had told me I should have been treated within 2 months of surgery, then acted like I was overreacting when I became upset. I said I had cleared our vacation with the NY oncologist and was told that all the trials were done withing 90 days of surgery and that I was fine. We decided to split the difference and come back from vacation a few days early. I ended up calling  a patient representative b/c after I changed my vacation plans they called and said they made a mistake and were booked and it was ok to wait 90 days. After much headache they added me on.  

So I'm due for AC #2 tomorrow and they just called to change my appt for the third time, to yet a third covering dr. I looked at the website and this doc isn't even listed as a med onc. Over the phone they said oh yes he see breast cancer, he sees all diagnsoses which was a big red flag to me. They said he's new and they couldn't help it if IT didn't put any info up about him. I mean really by tomorrow I'll be seeing a med student. I called back and said no way. I'd been more than flexible in agreeing to see the other two docs (mine's on vacation) but I'm not seeing someone who doesn't even have a shingle up yet. I get the condescending supervisor speaking to me as if I'm 2 years old ; 'Carolyn, you are still receiving optimal care, in fact any dr you see here is excellent". I said sorry, I was a nurse there for 11 years and that statement is simply not true . She said "ooooh I'm soooo discouarged that you would make that statement. " I said maybe when you are on the other side of the fence you'll feel differently. She went on about how it was a holiday weekend. I said this didn't just sneak up on you and my appt was made two weeks ago. You knew my dr was on vacation and you had to arrange coverage and yet you still don't think it's unreasonable that I've been switched among three more covering doctors. She kept saying but you haven't seen these doctors, just your appointment has been moved. We strive to make sure you don't see a different doctor each time you come. I said it's only my second visit!!  Am I crazy or could they be the least bit apologetic. Ugggh! Now I feel like I need to take an ativan so my cancer doesn't thrive in the big stresspool they've created. (a little dramatic but I figure I'm entitled to it;-)

I'd just go to NYC, but the day I was there they were running almost 3 hrs behind because of an emergency and I ended up being gone 8.5 hrs for a 1 hr appt. I will definitely head back there after treatment.

thanks for listening,

Carolyn

• sweeney
    sweeney Member Posts: 311

CKPTRY- I'm sorry you had such a frustrating go round this morning. My only thought is that I too have sometimes felt like this and then I remind myself that NO, these nurses/receptionists/docs/techs haven't had CANCER. They just look at it like an everyday disease that they cure all the time. There's some comfort in that, but at the same time it's exhausting trying to be your own advocate. There's no way for me to explain, in any meaningful way, to the bitchy receptionist that YES I need Form XYZ and could you not put me through hoops to get it. I HAVE CANCER. Which means I am exhuasted and frightened and bald and feeling ugly. I worry about not getting the very best care because I have children to live for and my husband will be heartbroken if I'm not around for the next 40 years. But how do you say that without sounding like a wingnut?

What I have said to people is this, "I am very tired and weak right now. (PAUSE...let this sink in...)When you find Form XYZ, and you can appreciate how much this will help me, please call me at ....."

• rachel5738
    rachel5738 Member Posts: 658

Hi Carolyn--I feel horrible that you are getting the run around at the hospital. Good thing that you stood up and demanded the best care that you know you should get. Many don't. Luckily, I have had no issue with my Oncology team. My primary care nurse is amazing at getting back to me with any questions or concerns. Right at front, she said she is unable to answer calls directly but promises response within 3 hours and she certainly has lived up to that. My Oncologist, although not someone I would be friends with as he is dry and seems like no humour, is good. He answers all my questions and provides me with additional information. He is the Head of Oncology at the hospital that I am going to so he is busy and often late (my only complaint). You would THINK that Oncology (only with Pediatrics) departments would be the ONE place in the hospital where the care is top notch. Seems like you get all types no matter the place. Hoping for better luck for your coming up appointments/treatments. Take care, Rachel

• rachel5738

Question--Why are some people prescribed Neulasta? I thought that it was on a particular treatment but I just read someone on the same treatment as me (FEC-T) getting this. Not that I am looking for more drugs or injections (!) but just curious. I will ask my Oncologist tomorrow. They haven't even brought that up to me. Last week when I had low white blood cells, they said to eat leafy greens and protein! Not sure if perhaps they don't believe I will need. Just curious.

• youngmomof3
    youngmomof3 Member Posts: 35

Lisa, you are a trooper. I do think people hear us say that we are "fine" and doing "okay" and so by showing up we must be dealing well with chemo. Hah, as Sweeney says that is just our kind way of not giving them the disgusting run-down of all of the crap that we are going through. I know when I did chemo in the spring I used to wear a wig to work everyday and it made me appear normal,not sickly looking but I have to say that sometimes I wanted my outsides to match what I was feeling inside and if i was feeling like crap inside, wearing a scarf to show that yes I have cancer, yes I am fighting, but yes it sucks, sometimes made it a little more real for  those around me.  I think I spent so much time trying to make others comfortable with my cancer but finally said screw it and started to not worry so much about how everyone else felt and more about how I felt.

linaattheshore: what part of jesery do you live in? I am also in Jersey, central part.

So I went to onc office this am and had blood pressure checked(low) and blood count checked(very low-was less than 800 and it should be at least 5,000). They gave me fluids and an antiobiotic in case an infection starts brewing. I can't believe how low my counts are. I went through 6 rounds of TCH in the spring and got Neulasta everytime and never really had a problem with my white blood cells and my first AC and wham, it kicked me right on my ass. My nurse said it is probably because I have already done chemo before and am still recovering from surgery so my body has been through so much already and isn't rebounding as quickly. Great! Looks like I may be going back to AC every 3 weeks instead of every 2 weeks because I just can't seem to handle it. Guess that would explain my very low energy level, dizziness and pure exhaustion. I am praying that the next round doesn't do the same to me. Still not sure why the Neulasta didn't do it's job but I do think that may have been what caused my insane headaches this week.

• Carolyn -I'm sorry you're having to deal with this.  I too have been dealing with a medical nightmare to schedule the stupid port placement which i need done next Thursday or Friday!  Finally it's been scheduled but I have to travel to Newark, which is about a hour and a half.  I don't care - Just want it done!

But I TOTALLY agree - I think for these people it's just "business".  I have been waiting since yesterday at 9 am for the scheduler to call me back.  I've left her three messages - I finally got in touch with one of the doctors there (somehow - I just started pressing buttons!) and they "Tracked her down" and she got back to me.  I even said in my message "It is urgent that you call me immediately so that I know if I'm on the schedule - otherwise I need to find another doctor right away before my next chemo, to put this port in!" 

I was crying yesterday so much that I couldn't even try to call other facilities to find someone within my network to put in this freakin' port -every surgeon I called wasn't within network and neither were the radiology departments they recommended.    So I TOTALLY understand needing the avitan just to come down from it all!  

I'm sorry you're having to deal with that with such a big facility - it is inexcusable.   They should streamline this all and make it easy for us.  It's hard enough dealing with cancer and chemo brain and such; and ALL the side effects, but to have to deal with all of the red tape and stress on top of it makes it far worse. 

I just treated myself to a chocolate and blueberry smoothie (I was good - I only added stevia and not sugar) but I figured chocolate was a necessity at this point!

• seems like there are a lot of us Jersey-ites on this forum! :) 

I'm on day four now post chemo and I think I'm doing a lot better this time than last time.  I have had some heart fluttering and my pulse seemed to be throbbing every time I tried to fall asleep last night; neulasta's cause some aches and headaches but they are okay with tylenol.  Hair's beginning to fall out like crazy.  Arm hurts where I had the chemo "leak" but only when it's touched or pressed and there's no redness that I can see there, thank God. 

The symptoms can be so scary.....am I the only one who thinks that way?  Like when you get up at night and you get all dizzy or just general sensitivity - I notice my whole neck and chest hurt if I touched it yesterday - even my legs hurt if I pressed on them.  I guess that is the neulasta maybe?  I'm just scared of what we're doing to our bodies........  I know that is pointless to think about that when we're in the middle of it but it adds to my anxiety. 

• zenith4289
    zenith4289 Member Posts: 137

CALAMTYKLE - I had that SE where i felt like my upper body was bruised.  it was painful for even the slightest touch.  maybe it's the neulasta. 

• onemonga
    onemonga Member Posts: 54

RACHEL: I am on TC and I went for my one week blood test yesterday. My white cells were very low so Onco put me on antibiotic Cipro to stave off infection until next infusion. My injection of choice will be nuepogen and I will self administer. It falls under the category of all care is different yet somehow the same.

• KatherineNaomi
    KatherineNaomi Member Posts: 49

I know what you mean Calamtykel. I've had several "what have I done?" moments since starting chemo. My first treatment was Friday, Neulasta on Saturday and it had been going well but on Monday I woke up and felt like someone had beaten me with a baseball bat. Bone pain from my jaw to my knees. Still there Tuesday but lessening. Wednesday deep pain in my upper/lower back and ribs. Today deep pain in my hips, thighs and knees. I've been so positive through the whole cancer/surgery experience and recovered quickly and felt good. I didn't think chemo would knock me out like this. :( It's hard to wrap my head around the fact that something that makes me feel so bad is supposed to help me to be healthy and well. Plus, I haven't had any kind of scans yet so every ache and pain my mind instantly fears mets. It's just so much easier to keep a positive outlook when you're feeling good.

• ckptry
    ckptry Member Posts: 333

sweeney thanks.So true - I totally get the wingnut thing, especially as I feel like a wing nut lately.;-)

rachel I'm so glad you have a good team. I did have dh call the patient rep again. I'm hoping they'll start to think this one is just a big pain in the a-- and not mess with me anymore. BTW, the neulasta seems to depend on the oncologist as well as the treatment regimen. I am getting dose dense AC every two weeks, so my marrow doesn't have a chance to recover and I get the neulasta. If I was getting AC every 3 weeks I wouldn't need it.(The idea is that if the bone marrow has ac hance to recover on it's own the cancer cells might, but I don't know that it's more than a theory right now). They said during Taxol I probably won't need it, I guess the AC is harder on the bone marrow. It might be something they'd want to cvonsider only if you had to start postponing treatemnts b/c of neutropenia. hope that helps (I don't know alot about FEC, I worked on the surgical side of things). I did get to do teaching for the neupogen (older than neulast shots). Every once in a while a husband would say 'c'mon it's just a little needle' when the wives had trouble- they had to demonstrate self injection before we could discharge them. I'd always smile and say, well this one is just saline so you can show her how it's done. no takers,lol.

calamtykel So sorry about the port. I had a nice dr in westfield (we have bc/bs ppo) and was able to schedule the appt two days in advance. If that's closer or helps you let me know and I'll give you the details

Carolyn

• jsw19
    jsw19 Member Posts: 212

ckptry I'm sorry you are having such frustration with your onc's office.  You are right that they have known the schedule for a couple weeks at least so why all the last minute changes? 

Rachel Some oncs just don't seem to use Neulasta much with their patients.  Mine does not either.  I asked a nurse about it at my first treatment and she said that some oncs like to give it routinely but others don't and the ones at the practice I go to don't like to use it.  Additionally they did not need for me to show up for any blood counts or anything in between, I just show up again for my next treatment day and they'll check my blood before starting.  Certainly I'd rather not get the Neulasta if I don't need it but I do wonder if this makes it more likely that I'll show up for treatment and then not be able to get it because my counts are too low?

Lisasinglem Bravo to you for showing up to rehearsal at all and I'm glad you are finally getting some acknowledgement for your efforts.  It really is hard to explain to someone who hasn't been through it exactly how crappy we feel.  And it doesn't compare to things like having a sore throat!

youngmomof3 I'm sorry to hear that your reaction to AC has been so bad.  Having low blood pressure may be why you were getting so dizzy?  That is such an awful feeling so I hope they are able to sort things out for you.  I am doing the AC every 3 weeks - is it a lower dose then as opposed to the 2 week "dose dense" version?  If so then maybe changing to that would help lessen your side effects. 

I feel like I wanted to say something to others too but I can't remember now.  The new sleep med my onc prescribed me yesterday (Restoril) gave me terrible nightmares and so I'm still exhausted today.  I finally remembered that I used Ambien CR (controlled release) in the past with success so he called that in today.  I hope everyone is feeling well this evening!

• youngmomof3

thanks jsw: I'm not sure if going from 2 to 3 weeks actually changes the amount of chemo I will be getting or if it just gets it over with faster. Either way I would prefer not to have to go through this again so I may just be better off going every 3 weeks and letting my body catch back up.

Someone mentioned not getting Neulasta with AC every 3 weeks. I am going to have to ask onc about that because after this weeks reaction to the Neulasta I would certainly rather have to do it again. Maybe he will say that I don't need it...that would be a blessing.

• LadyinBama
    LadyinBama Member Posts: 993

Hey Rachel: I'm on FEC and I got the Neulasta. Like somebody else said, I think it just depends on the doctor/facility. I know one other person getting treated at my cancer center, she's doing ACT, and she got nuelasta too. Plus, we are going to try to do my treatments every two weeks instead of every three, so that might factor into it also - trying to recover WBCs quicker? I don't know, just ask your doc. And let us know what he/she says, you've got me curious now.

Carolyn, Calamtykel and anyone else having doctor problems: That SUCKS. We have enough to go through without having to hassle with doctor's offices, insurance companies and hospitals. Maybe you could find a trusted friend or family member to become your point person to do some of the calling for you? To lessen the stress a little? I've been lucky with my docs so far.

• LadyinBama

My timeline:

4/20: routine annual mammogram

5/10: f/u mammo with ultrasound (when they called they said "don't worry; 95% of our callbacks turn out to be nothing)

5/24: another mammo and an ultrasound-guided biopsy of left breast and lymph node (don't worry, most of our biopsies turn out to be nothing)

5/27: I found out I won the cancer lottery. Left breast and lymph node sample positive.

6/2: MRI-guided biopsy on another suspicious spot on left breast and 3 suspicious spots on right breast.

6/3: Doc called, new places all negative for cancer.

6/7: Doc called and gave me info from my first biopsy path report (hormone receptor status, etc.) and we discussed treatment options.

6/9: First meeting with BS. He said the MRI-guided biopsy showed a "lesion" on my liver we needed to look at more closely before we decided anything.

6/11: CT scan and chest x-ray.

6/12: (this was a Saturday; I'm impressed that my doc called with my scan results. She knew I was worried). She said the liver thing was ok (benign hemangioma) but that something showed up on the lungs we need to look at. AAARRGGG

6/15: PET Scan of whole body (about my thighs up to my head)

6/16: Surgeon called, PET Scan ok. Lung things were scars from old infection, they are pretty sure. So we decide to move on.

6/22:First visit with PS to discuss options.

6/24: Met with BS again and told him I'd decided to go with BMX instead of lumpectomy/rads.

6/19: Preop meeting with PS. Doing TEs and implants at end of chemo.

7/8: BMX w TEs, Came home with 4 drains.

various followup visits with BS & PS. Nothiing else can be done (chemo)  until drains are all out and healed.

8/3 First meeting with Oncologist.

8/6: Muga scan to be sure heart ok for chemo.

8/11: 2nd meeting with Onc.

8/12; Met with a radiation oncologist. None of the other docs thought rads were in the cards, but wanted me to see this lady just to cover all bases. She agreed that no rads needed.

8/18: Finally got last drain out, 6 weeks from surgery!

8/19: Port installed; was told to wait a week, at least, to use.

8/24: 3rd meeting with medical onc. to pin down final treatment plans.

8/24: I had a general screening colonoscopy  because it was time for it and I have family history of colon cancer. I wanted to get this out of the way before chemo started. It was all clear, a couple of small polyps removed.

8/31: FINALLY first chemo. Just barely made it to stay in the August group with you ladies.

9/1: Neulasta shot.

So, 6 weeks from diagnosis to surgery, then 7 weeks and 5 days more to start of chemo.

• LadyinBama

PS for Lizzy: I'm soooo glad you decided to stick with us and remain our Fearless Leader even though you, of all people!, have been bumped to a Sept. start. I guess the bright side of that is you have the benefit of everybody else's experiences so far.

• rachel5738

LadyinBama---I love how you worded your timeline (don't worry, most of these turn out to be benign). For me, when I found the lump, my GP said--don't worry it is probably nothing--you just got over cervical cancer--it would be unbelievable........fast forward, tomorrow is my 2nd chemo for IDC....ahhh.....with these odds, you would think that I would win the lottery by now :)

• lisaattheshore
    lisaattheshore Member Posts: 88

I am in South NJ.  I did notice there are a few of us.  But there are so darn many in this group I can't keep it in my head who is where or what.......

The doctor and insurance issues are completely ridiculous.  This is a very common disease.  There are laws in place regarding the treatment of ths disease (reconstruction).  Yet, it appears that there are sufficient road blocks for many people to actually threaten their health. 

Even the part where you pick a surgeon....until the last 10 years or so there was no breast specialty training.  ALL breast surgeons are general surgeons.  Even the younger ones with the extra training.  So......breast surgery ranks lower than say --plastics, orthopedics, cardiac, prob others too, where there is a special school for it.  If your surgeon was out of school more than 10 or so years, he/she just decided to do breasts and that's hw he/she became a 'breast surgeon' .

This is also on my list of things to find out about (WHY).  But not just now, I have to finish what I am doing first. 

I feel very lucky to not be 'sick' so I am able to make the calls and follow up on everything, and do the research.  I don' think there would be anyone who would do it for me.  But I can not imagine if I had to do it all and actually felt really bad, or had multiple health issues or small children, as it sounds that many of you do.

Just FYI, I know its common to pan medical services down here in hicktown South Jersey, but I did a consult with Johns Hopkins and Magee Womens (emailed my pics and did by telephone) and they picked the same treatment the onc picked here, so I saw no need to travel.

Had my second chemo today.  Still have hair, but a couple fingernails are not looking too good....not that bad either tho'. 

Ok, lets start planning the trip! 

• 1WonderWoman
    1WonderWoman Member Posts: 1,796

GOOD DAY, CHEMOSABIS!!!!

Don't forget, Libraylil and Rachel have treatments today and tomorrow, respectively, so let's take a few minutes and send good wishes for an easy time of it their way ;)

GOOD NEWS!  My oncologist was on vacation last week when all that bone scan drama started.  One of the things that made me a good trader on Wall St is my ability to not connect emotionally to things up a lot or down a lot.  The same applies here so when they told me it might be in my skull, I don't connect emotionally to it because I realize there is nothing I can do about it.  Most unfortunately I totally forgot the students hit the hospital floor in July and I think a resident may have been reading my scan!  My oncologist called this morning and said he really thinks it is nothing and it has NOT spread to my skull.  He said the hot spots they saw would be on most any human skull!!!!!!!! YEAH....I am not totally out of the woods yet as they did a head xray on me today but my onc is pretty sure (I became the victim of an overzealous resident...my words not his!) it is nothing!!!!!!!  This is a little premature but HALLELUJAH!!!

Also went to the dentist and narrowly avoided a root canal!!!! 

It was a good day!  I hope everyone is doing well today.

For NJ: hey housewives (!!!!!!!!), do you want me to call Governor Patterson!?!?!?  I am from CT btw but NY, NJ and CT are just one big state anyway!

Your FEARLESS Leader!

• 1WonderWoman

Lady: JSW said it best and I am the final person marching in the August parade, carrying my big drum and wearing my big parade hat, beating the drum marking the end of the parade!

Rachel: I hope things go well for you tomorrow.  We, on the east coast in the states, will be weathering some hopefully mild hurricane effects and I can honestly say, for once, given the choice between a hurricane and chemo, I just might choose chemo!!!  I lived waterfront for the 91 Hurricane here and that was amazing!!!  Thankfully we have a good sea wall!  In any case, I was thinking of you today as after the dentist drill n' fill and the head xray (probably long overdue for other reasons!!!)  I went to another Yale entity to order a wig!  They were nice wigs...I was surprised.  I might like this!!!!!

• rachel5738
    Lizzymack---Great news on your updated info. When I was going through cervical cancer, I was lucky enough to have the Head of Gynecology Oncology as my Doctor--she is well respected--however, with her came a large group of residents...I was at a teaching hospital aswell. The last thing that I remember before my radical hysterectomy and "lights out" was the resident apologizing to me. I couldn't figure out what he was talking about until I woke up and realized that he had a "hard" time getting a vein and I looked like a heroin addict---I was so bruised. I remember his face....not sure I want to see him again but could definitely pick him out of a crowd.Yell
  • 1WonderWoman

Carolyn: I hate to tell you this story now but I am going to.  My BS at Yale sent me back out to this little hospital near my house because for many people, like you pointed out, it is nicer to have txs close to home especially with chemo.  As it turns out, the chemo they wanted to give me was not even appropriate for my "type" of cancer.  I know 4 hours is different than 8 or whatever the difference would be if you went to NY but I promise you, those jokers at the hospital/glorified walk-in medical center near my house couldn't even schedule the scans which caused me to head back to Yale anyway.  Bottom line, though, is we only get chemo once every 2 or 3 weeks and I would encourage you to travel.  You can call the hospital in NY and go back there.  All things to consider but if I were you, I would reconsider the traveling.  I know getting in and out of NY and the Path etc.. can be a PITA but well worth it, I think.  I am very glad I took the longer ride and went to Yale and will do my chemo there as well.  It is only 4- 6 times and whether it costs you 1/2 a day or a whole day, in the greater scheme of things, that is a nominal factor to get care and RESPECT.  That supervisors attitude would have done it for me.

Good luck-

• I was told I will have neulasta with the taxol- now I'd like to opt out of it based on what many of you are saying.  I feel my SE's from the neulasta are worse than the chemo......at least that's my feeling.  I just feel hot and achy after it.  Of course that could be the chemo too.  I just don't like the idea of the shot every time......

• Lisa- I missed the jersey shore this year.  I usually take my kids down the week after labor day when there's nobody there.....and we have a nice beach day and  hit pizza hut on the way home.  But this year I can't do it - not with the sun and stuff.  ACK.  Next year.  We went to the lake today but it's not the same.... they have a little beach but it's not "the shore" - you know what I mean.  :) 

Ocean City has always been my favorite but it's too far to travel from where we are now for just a day - we're way north near the Water Gap.  

• youngmomof3

lizzy, gotta love the NJ housewives. Now they are some crazy b********.

Lisaattheshore: Although I live in Central Jersey I actually have been going through Cooper for all of my treatment. I had my preemie in their NICU and just decided to stay with the gyn practice and once I was diagnosed everything just went through them. I have been very happy with my treatment so far although I actually see my onc in Willingboro.

Calamtykel: I am with you on missing the shore this summer. We were able to get there once for a day but other than that my summer has been consumed by surgery and recovery. I love Ocean City but we usually go closer to home; Pt. Pleasant or Island Beach. There is always next summer to look forward to right?

• IowaSue45
    IowaSue45 Member Posts: 422

Wow Rachel 2 cancers, were they related somehow?  Did you have chemo with that or hysterectomy alone? I have wondered if some people are just more cancer prone, predisposition ed. My parent both past away from cancer supposedly not related to mine kind.... but I wonder my mom came from a large family and not that many cancers even with them being older now let alone 2 spouses. As far as my cousins out of 55 of us I am only the 2nd. I don't know seams like a connection to me.

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477

Hello I am still waiting for my onocotype results but had to join the convo.

I am a former Long Island Girl so much like Jersey Girls I think.  It's day 24 since my surgery and I have been cracking up watching NJ housewives and then I find you guys.

I have lived in KC for almost 2 years now. I was diagnosed on June 23rd with no medical insurance. I spent a week trying to get medicaid in place which was hell but since then everyone has been amazing. People are just really nice here on all levels, at least to your face lol. I am trying to be a nicer person too.

I was sent to a learning hospital (Truman Medical Center) which has been great. I saw many medical students, interns, and fellows but all those visits were followed up by my surgeon. It was nice i felt like I had lots of people caring for me. I met with my onocologist twice who is a fellow but each visit the head of the department also visited with me. I also made an appointment to get a second opinion with another oncologist at a different hospital oce the test results are in. 

Thanks for sharing your experiences it is really helping me to prepare for whatever treatment is ahead for me. 

• 1WonderWoman
    Youngmom: this tv is eating my head since I have been home!!! I have seen 4 episodes NJ Housewives, including reunion (scary!), and I am even watching Jersey Shore!   When I lived in Manhattan (upper W 80's..not a political choice but rather I liked the loc!) if I did not come to CT on the weekends, there were a number of times my friends and I went to the shore GUIDO HUNTING or to Jones Beach where I saw Aerosmith, and a host of others, and they were one of my favorite shows there.  My friend also rented a house on Fire Island ( yes, he is!!!) which was great!!!  Leaving Manhattan and going to the Jersey Shore was like going to a foreign country!!!!!  Just like Staten Italy and the Boogie Down!!!!!!  I love NY...so much flavor!!!  Mind you, all I watched before bc was CNBC and a few other shows...now I am a mess with these shows!!  I probably going to have to go to detox!!!!!!!
  • 1WonderWoman
    Youngmom: this tv is eating my head since I have been home!!! I have seen 4 episodes NJ Housewives, including reunion (scary!), and I am even watching Jersey Shore!   When I lived in Manhattan (upper W 80's..not a political choice but rather I liked the loc!) if I did not come to CT on the weekends, there were a number of times my friends and I went to the shore GUIDO HUNTING or to Jones Beach where I saw Aerosmith, and a host of others, and they were one of my favorite shows there.  My friend also rented a house on Fire Island ( yes, he is!!!) which was great!!!  Leaving Manhattan and going to the Jersey Shore was like going to a foreign country!!!!!  Just like Staten Italy and the Boogie Down!!!!!!  I love NY...so much flavor!!!  Mind you, all I watched before bc was CNBC and a few other shows...now I am a mess with these shows!!  I probably going to have to go to detox!!!!!!!
  • lisaattheshore
    lisaattheshore Member Posts: 88

I guess because we moved here from elsewhere (not Philly) I don't have any connection to the Philly/Camden wherever hospital groups. I had my kids at the local hospital with no problem, and was never there for anything else. I don't like the sound of the walk in center that some one is talking about, but otherwise I am pretty sure they are mostly pretty close to the same all around.  They are all playing the odds.  If you compare say Taxol to Taxetore (sp) there are pros and cons to each, and it is easy to see why one dr pick one, and one picks the other.  Bottom line, they are in the same family and do the same thing. 

I am not quite as analytical as Lizzy, but my job too calls for research and analyzing.

I guess  went off topic some.  I never go to thebeach here in the summer, can't stand the shoobies and traffic.  I guess we will miss the Sept season too, but the pool is still open, so it won't be that bad!  And I haven't watched either of those shows, but if you enjoyed them, I am glad.

And the shot after chemo......this, according to everything I can find, is the one part that has no long term effects, only short term.  With the chemo, we don't even know what some long term effects may be, because they didn't have people living 40+ years after, and now there are.  Please don't forget to get a copy of your file of doses that you keep.  I see a lot of  us are not very old, and that means you may outlive your onc and your primary dr. and the next one is going to need to know!