Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

August 2010...anyone starting chemo besides me?!

Options

Comments

• Ondagrow
    Ondagrow Member Posts: 133
    Options

Wherria,

It was me Sohard who responded not Mmahle...

Anyway, I hope things get better for you... I am so sorry you are experiencing so much discomfort... We will get through together...

I am not having any physical or occupational therapy at this time...

• Ondagrow
    Options

Wherria,

It was me Sohard who responded not Mmahle...

Anyway, I hope things get better for you... I am so sorry you are experiencing so much discomfort... We will get through together...

I am not having any physical or occupational therapy at this time...

• lkglasco
    lkglasco Member Posts: 1
    Options

I have been told I will be starting chemo in about 3 wks.  Don't know much about it yet, haven't met w/the oncologist yet.

• lisasinglem
    lisasinglem Member Posts: 239
    Options

Wherria - I'm so, so sorry that you had to go through all that.  I am sending you good, healing, loving thoughts.  Glad your dh can be there all day.  Mine is here today, too, and I feel much better when he is here.  Is there anyone else you know who might be able to help - maybe taking the dog to the vet?  Or doing errands?  I found that things started to improve on day 5 (today is day 6), and I feel much better today.

I think, like you, I was expecting this to be no big deal, because I had read so many stories of people having no problems with it.  I haven't had a reaction like you have, but the bone pain and the exhaustion have been brutal.

I hope your day improves.  Re: the lump under your arm, you are absolutely right, that an enlarged lymph node can mean almost anything - including that your body is just working so hard to heal.  It is good to get it checked out, but by no means is it assured of being something bad.

Rachel - Glad to hear you don'g need any more surgery.  I'm not sure how "menatlly prepared" anyone can be for the chemo.  I thought I was, but it was still completely surreal once I got there and was sitting in the chair.  Just know that you can get through it, no matter what happens.  Take deep breaths and be good to yourself.

• 1WonderWoman
    1WonderWoman Member Posts: 1,796
    Options

Good morning all!  

I had an epiphany this morning....why can't chemo be delivered to us in the form of a margarita or in ice cream?!?!   Why can't they show movies or have video games for us?!   

Wherria: I am sorry to hear about your dog and that your first week has been a little harder than expected.   I hope this does not continue to be your experience.  Your dog is beautiful btw Smile

Sohard: Sounds like we are getting closer to changing your name to soEZ!!!!!!!!  I am glad you are doing well and that things are a little better than you expected.  Good for you!

To all the new members, the "on deck circle," and our current members I will be updating the list by the end of tomorrow so each and every one of you is included.  Just a reminder: if I miss anyone please PM me and let me know because I am not infallible....I know...it was news to me as well!!

Liz

• libraylil
    libraylil Member Posts: 325
    Options

sohardbnme

Nice to meet another Her 2 positive.  Hoping my chemo party will start soon.  Going to watch the dvd on side effects at the onco office on Tuesday.  Just worrying about the scans.  Paranoid. Beth

• libraylil
    libraylil Member Posts: 325
    Options

calamtykel,  I concur.  Any whispering, hesitation, etc.  I think means a shoe is going to drop.  Both of us are going to have great scans.  As far as the warmness from the scan.  The technician warned me...I told her it was more like a KY Intense ad. You know gotta inject a little humor into the situation.

Beth

• webstermom
    webstermom Member Posts: 2
    Options

hello all - i met lizzymac on the june mastecomy site and heard she started a chemo thread.  i had chemo before my surgery.  i had 4 rounds of fec and 4 rounds of taxotre(sp?) it is tough but you all will make it though just fine.  chemo isn't fun but it isn't the horrible thing everyone else thinks - i told everyone -hey - it's keeping my on this earth for the next 40 years.  and chemo works.  my final path report should all the cancer gone!!  and it will do the same for all of you!

if anyone has any questions - send me a private message.

• 1WonderWoman
    Options

Welcome to all of our new members:

Libraylil

Lkglasco:

KAZmTAZ

Ann97

Birchtree

Nursewithbreastca

Nice of you all to join us and I hope you get support, friendship, avoid feelings of isolation and loneliness, happiness and a place to come whenever this journey delivers a surprise of sorts!   I think our theme song should be Michael Jackson's "You are not Alone" and then there is another MJ hit called "Beat It" for those days when you need the support!

Best of luck, girls-

Your Fearless Leader!

• 1WonderWoman
    Options

Zenith: 

Sorry to hear about your scan restul but you still don't know what that mark is.  It could have been the result of a fall from a tree when you were a kid or that field hockey game where you to a stick to the ribs etc... .   You should take this one step at a time and stop putting yourself through horrifying events that have not happened.  It is really hard to see that something good has happened when you are always prepared for the worst.  Negativity begets negativity and I know you probably don't appreciate that I won't go "there" with you but I would not be helping you if I did.  I care about you and I really hope you start to think about things a little differently.  Hope for the best and don't worry about things until they happen.

Any one of a number of things can happen every day and guess what?  Some of those can be really good.  I hope you understand my words are deeply rooted in concern for you-

Liz

• Ann97
    Ann97 Member Posts: 142
    Options

Wherria,

I have children but still know what it is like when your pets are loved like children. I'm glad to hear that Bixby is showing some improvement.

And wow, you sure had a bad day 5 :(

Don't worry about the OT. Taking care of you is what is most important right now.

Thank you for the warm welcome, Liz.

Janice

• Mmahle46
    Mmahle46 Member Posts: 44
    Options

Hi Y'all!

Day 2 and I'm still feeling pretty good...Just extremely worn out but, I can't sleep.  I certainly haven't lost my appetite even though food doesn't taste like it should.

Wherria-Glad Bixby is doing better.  That is great news! 

Have a great day!

• Ondagrow
    Options

I am experiencing New SE's... uuuggghhh...

• nc106
    nc106 Member Posts: 1
    Options

i know im not in you guys category but im putting in my 2 cent anyway. ijust finished 8 mnths of chemo and just started the chemo pill for the next 5 yrs. despite what well wishers said (sic) the only side effects i experienced were loss of somw of my hair (got a darling wig at american cancer society in my area) and extreme tiredness ( i just took a nap!)hang in there & think good thoughts about chemo will effect u & dont listen to the so-called well-wishers.i actually had 1 guy tell me not too long after i started tha he knew someone going thru chemo who asked a friend to get a gun & shoot him! i wished i had the guts to slap him in the mouth cept we were in the middle of the grocery store. good luck to all just starting!!!!

• Caroljl
    Caroljl Member Posts: 7
    Options

Hi Liz, please put me on your list, I am honored to be on this list with so many brave women, It makes you realize you are not alone.June 30th, I was told I have breast cancer and the next few weeks are really a blur,but slowly they are now clearing as far as treatments. I was diagnosed with IDC Stage 1 Grade 3 ER-PR neg.Her2+. Had partial mastectomy on July 16th and had my port put in on Aug 3rd and had my first chemo treatment on Aug. 4th. So far no side effects except for being tired, and not being able to sleep at night. I am keeping a log on my side effects as they occur.

• Caroljl
    Caroljl Member Posts: 7
    Options

Hi Mmahle, same as you! feeling pretty good, just so worn out and can't sleep at night.As far as the food, its ok for me yet.This is my third day in. Sure hope we get some sleep soon, good luck Mmahle

• lisasinglem
    Options

Had an interesting thing happen this afternoon - and I am learning that I have to be more careful with my body.  I'm not an athlete, but I have gotten used to really being able to push myself to do things physically.

So, this morning (day 6) I was feeling good, and hubby and I drove down to our favorite beach, which is about a 45 minute drive.  We started walking on the beach at a good clip - walked for about 20 minutes, and I said "I have to sit down...now."  I sat down, took some deep breaths because I was feeling a little nauseous.  I rested for a few minutes, and then said I wanted to go back.  I walked back to the car very slowly because that seemed to help the nausea.  I had assumed I was over the worst of it, so didn't bring anything with me (no meds, no ginger, no saltines).  Well, the drive home over the mountain was intermanible.  I had to close my eyes and grip the sides of the seat and take deep breaths to stop mysefl from vomiting.  Poor hubby had to drive about 25 miles per hour the entire way because there were lots of twists and turns in the road.  Luckily I never did vomit, and got home and took an ativan right away and laid down.  I also ate some saltines which seemed to help.  I took a nap and feel much better now.  But I guess I have to learn to really take it easy on myself even if I think I'm all better.  And always bring extra supplies just in case.

I finally decided that this whole cancer/chemo thing just SUX!  I've been so positive about it, but sometimes it really, really SUX!

Sorry, had to get that off my chest.

• 1WonderWoman
    Options

Lisa:

I had to tell you something that happened to me when I taught step aerobics.  I had worn heels to work that day and that shortens your calf muscles naturally.  I was in a rush and decided to skimp a bit on the calf stretching.   Sure enough I pulled my gastroc.  As a result for 8 weeks I had the moon boot and had to ride the recumbent bike.  It did not tear off the bone but it twisted up like a fusili in my leg.   As soon as I got out of the moon boot I went right back to step and BANG...there it went again only this time much closer to a complete detachment from the bone.  I was, in the end, out of step for nearly 4 months because I was pushing.

When you went for your walk you increase your blood pressure and cardio which makes chemo go through your body that much faster.   Everything we do to increase the rate at which our heart is working is going to increase the rate at which chemo travels so perhaps try the treadmill.  Of course there is always walking slower but that SUX, too, especially when you are used to walking the beach at a certain pace.  I feel for you, woman!  I have been there.  Sorry that had to happen to you but I still think you look fantastic without your fur so take solace in that and gaze at yourself in the mirror!!!!!!!
    Liz

• OH Lisa I am sorry that happened to you!   That is the worst feeling in the world.  :(   Just being in the car and not driving would be enough to set me to the pukes.  I get carsick really easily.

Thank you for posting it though; - it makes me aware that I will have to arm myself for traveling in the car.   I completely understand what you mean about just counting the minutes until you're out of the car...driving carefully, etc.   Two years ago we drove about 2 hours away to pick up a new puppy for the kids.  I drove - four kids in the car, husband stayed home.  THe AC in my van was broken and it was the hottest day of July.  As we left the breeder, he gave us some paper towels  in case the "puppy" got sick.  Um..yeah. 

On the way home, I started with a migraine.  It was SO hot in that van and the puppy smelled awful - with some kind of perfume spray they used on him before we left.  UGH!  I stopped at a farm stand about 45 minutes from here that we go to often and picked up a homemade yogurt drink that I thought would help.  Wrong.  I got about a mile from home and I knew I wasn't going to make it much longer, but I hoped I could make it home at least.  Got to our street and it was CLOSED, of all things.  Something happened to the power lines and they were fixing them.  I took a detour which is a VERY Long and winding road, part of it is a dirt road.  I got about halfway down it suddenly puked all over the place - I grabbed a towel that we had brought for the puppy, but it didn't work - all over the steering wheel-- I tried to aim for the window but it didn't work either and it went all over the side of the van outside and the door inside.  The kids were all screaming - I think they coudln't believe it actually happened while we were driving.

Got home and the POWER was OUT!  So I had no way to clean myself up except the back yard hose, since it still had some water pressure in it.  I got out of the car, ran to the back,stripped naked and hosed myself down.  Kids are trying to deal with the new puppy - DH just stood there completely baffled and confused......as the kids filled him in. Until the day we sold that van, they called it "The Vomit Van." 

Carsickness is NOT just for kids and it sure isn't fun!   I can laugh about that incident now, but nausea is the WORST feeling in the world and it's a scary feeling (to me at least.)  I wonder if Ginger Chews would be helpful?   They sell them at the healthfood store near me.  

• Lizzymack  what does that mean for exercise then? Is it good or bad for chemo?  (Do we want to circulate it fast?)  
  • Ann97
    Options

Argh!  I too am wondering what that means for exercise.  I'm a runner and was hoping to run/walk during chemo.

Janice

• Scrabblelady
    Scrabblelady Member Posts: 88
    Options

Ann97, calamtykel:  My onc said  exercising is good.  Keeps us healthier and women who can exercise through chemo tend to have a better experience.  I also understood that drinking ( water) the first few days of the cycle aids in flushing out the drugs.  Si, I would think that once the drugs are out of our system, raising our heart rate should not make  a difference.

• Yes, my oncologist did say that - drink LOTS of water to flush the toxins out were her exact words.  

• 1WonderWoman
    Options

HELLO!  I was out to dinner getting these messages on my blackberry and all I wanted to race home to respond!

First, I am not a doctor.  Second, the most important thing you can ever do is exercise.  Third, exercise as much as you can on chemo but the trick is learning what you can and cannot do.

Chemo is in our blood, circulating at our resting heart rate speed.   When you increase your heart rate, you increase blood flow to all parts of the body but now our blood is carrying something our bodies are not used to digesting so we have to go slower than usual to gradually introduce our blood with our new friend chemo in it to other parts of the body until they adjust.  The following is a reminder of what happens when we exercise and blood does get to our stomach pretty quickly as we do increase our heart rate, as follows:

The Cardiovascular System and Exercise

The cardiovascular system serves five important functions (1) during exercise:

1) Delivers oxygen to working muscles
    2) Oxygenates blood by returning it to the lungs
    3) Transports heat (a by-product of activity) from the core to the skin
    4) Delivers nutrients and fuel to active tissues
    5) Transports hormones

Exercise places an increased demand on the cardiovascular system. Oxygen demand by the muscles increases sharply. Metabolic processes speed up and more waste is created. More nutrients are used and body temperature rises. To perform as efficiently as possible the cardiovascular system must regulate these changes and meet the bodys increasing demands (2).

I hope this helps.   Just go a little slower and also, don't forget, if you are walking or running in the summer heat, cardiac drift is an issue.   This occurs during prolonged, steady-state exercise, in a hot climate as a steady state heart rate will gradually increase, when normally it should not, and this phenomenon is regarded as occuring in response to your rising body temperature. 

Bottom line, definitely exercise but pace yourself a bit more while your on chemo. 

Sorry, guys...I feel badly that my remarks had all of us exercisers in a panic!
    Liz

• lisasinglem
    Options

Thanks for the info Lizzy.  That makes sense - I think I just really have to pace myself slower, because I really hate the treadmill.  I live in a beautiful place, and I love to be outside in nature. 

I did drink nearly 100 oz of water on Days 1, 2, and 3 of chemo, but maybe I should keep that up for the first full week.  I will try that next time, and realize also that for the first week, I have to take it easy - walk, but slowly.  People have told me that my "slow" is still other people's "fast", so I just have to be concious about it.  After an Ativan and a nap, I feel much better.

Calamtykel: I even have the ginger chews, but I left them at home.

That is a horrible (and funny in retrospect) story about getting sick in the van.  That is just the worst feeling ever!  Glad the kids had a sense of humor about it. :-)

• lisasinglem
    Options

By the way - DH, who was totally against me shaving my head early, told me today that I was "disconcertingly cute" without my hair.  He just can't believe how cute I am. :-)

• 1WonderWoman
    Options

Lisa:

When I hurt my gastroc and I had to ride what I called, at that time, the broken ass recumbent bike while everyone else was taking step and running etc... I was BERSERK!   I was like a caged animal and furious I had to sit on that boring bike for way too long each day but it slowed me down.   I now OWN a recumbent bike!   I know how you feel: you don't chemo want chemo to slow you down, to make you put on a few, to get the better of you and you want to proceed as you were and I don't blame you!  You know that is what I lambaste you guys with almost daily!!

I was bananas on that bike thinking I was going to blow up after all I had accomplished and the shape I was in and the speed I was running and rollerblading at and i was MAD!   What I learned is I did not blow up, it did not take me too long to get back to my pre-injury pace and it probably gave my body a much-needed rest as I was working myself pretty hard at that time.  

Just walk a little slower and a little longer and, this is for everyone: keep on the water, over 100 ozs per day during chemo.  It is very good for you anyway but it definitely helps expodite moving chemo to where it needs to go and then show it the door!!!!!!!   Remember we need to flush here!  Green tea and granny smith apples will get the natural process going also!
    Good luck to everyone and hope you all are having a nice weekend-

Liz

PS-Lisa-your husband should be concerned about your "disconcertingly cuteness!!!!!"  You look great.

• I'm so bad with drinking water!  :(  I'll have to think of stuff to add that might help it be more palitable.  Lisa - I thought the woman in the waiting room with the CT scan was very cute with her pink hat and no hair.  You look cute too! :D

• Ann97
    Options

Okay :)  Got it.  Exercise is good but take it slow and training for the November ½ marathon I signed up for before I knew I had BC would not be a good idea.  Thanks Scrabblelady and Liz.

I, like you Lisa, am not a fan of the treadmill.  But maybe it would be better to use the treadmill for the days soonest after chemo so that I'm already home if I start to not feel so well and don't end up like you did after your beach walk.

I just discovered I have a rash all over my chest.  I've known it was on my back for a while.  One of the home care nurses told me about it and it has been itchy.  I knew my chest was itchy too but I thought it was a SE to the TE and all the stretching going on there.  But now I see little red dots.  :(  I did tell the nurse last time I saw the PS and she said that it could be a reaction from the antibiotics.  But I've been off of those for a week and a half now.  I'll mention it to my BS when I go for my (hopefully) last appt with him on Tuesday.  Maybe it is due to stress?

Janice

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    Options

Thanks for all the exercise advice.  My chemotherapy counselor said that the folks who exercise do better throughout the chemotherapy than those who don't exercise.  She also said that if you are used to walking 5 miles you may find yourself only doing 3 during the treatment.  The important thing is to keep moving!  Thanks for this discussion.  It makes me feel better each day to have all of you to share this with.