Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

August 2010...anyone starting chemo besides me?!

Options

Comments

• Scrabblelady
    Scrabblelady Member Posts: 88
    Options

Calamtykel:  I have always hated drinking water.  Then I discovered limes. Just put a slice of lime in the water glass.  I  can use one slice for 2-3 glasses of water.  I'm not crazy about lemons, though.  

• 1WonderWoman
    1WonderWoman Member Posts: 1,796
    Options

Good morning, girls!  Hope everyone is well!

I had to take a minute to capitalize on Scrabblelady's advice.  When I found out I had bc I had a "Diet Coke" habit!   To each their own but I wanted to stop the Diet Coke/soda drinking this year anyway and bc drove home my reason.  Diet sodas contain phenylketoneurics which, like a lot of things, are thought to be a cancer causing agent.  By all means, no one has to stop drinking diet soda...this was just a personal choice for me.   April 17 when I was confirmed for bc I went to my local grocery store, purchased 5 cases of seltzer, 10 bottles of cranberry juice and limes.  I used seltzer, cranberry and lime to drop Diet Coke.   The same applies to water: lemon and/or lime in water is great and, if that does not do it for you, add a splash of your favorite juice drink.

Omaz: you have got it right...definitely exercise but just a little less than usual.  I honestly think because chemo takes so long that we will all probably reach our pre-chemo workouts before chemo is over but in the initial stages ease on in! 

Good stuff, good talk!

Liz

• lisasinglem
    lisasinglem Member Posts: 239
    Options

OK - this is Day 7, and I thought I was supposed to be getting better, but this morning woke up with stomach cramps and diarrhea.  Every day it's something.  Grrrrrr.  Took some Immodium, but GRRRR!

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    Options

Hi Lisasinglem, the chemotherapy counselor also said that the first two treatments are the hardest.  Hang in there!!!

• GatineauSurvivor
    GatineauSurvivor Member Posts: 1
    Options

I just had my first chemo last Wednesday, Aug. 4th, 2010.  I live in a place without any support and so appreciate just finding this site.  My next chemo is in three weeks from last Wednesday.  I'm supposed to have six sessions in total, followed by radiation for 5 weeks.  I think.... it's all running together at this point.   I still feel like I'm in shock over this whole thing.

• rachel5738
    rachel5738 Member Posts: 658
    Options

Hi Gatineau---I have similar treatment plan in place--6 chemo (FEC-T), 1 month break, 1 month of radiation followed by Tamoxifen. I will start chemo within the next week--after seeing Doctor tomorrow. This whole thing is hard--probably one of the hardest things we will ever do. However, the chances that we will be good is very high---BC survival and recurrance rates have improved dramatically. That is what I keep thinking about as I have two young boys so it is important that I get through this. This site will provide lots of information and will give you a lot of support. It helps answer questions that you may have. Your biography doesn't include info on your cancer--what is your stage? Grade? etc? You will get through this.

Take care, Rachel

• Yes, limes! :D  Also, my midwife recommended to me way back when I was pregnant to float a couple of slices of cucumber in water.  I thought that was weird, but she was right, it was very cooling!  I have a lot of mint growing outside the door (until winter sets in) so maybe that will help too.  I have difficulty remembering to drink - that's one of the hardest parts!

• huntreiter3
    huntreiter3 Member Posts: 12
    Options

CalamtyKal, This is what my Naturopathic Physician recommended for me.

Ginger to help prevent nausea, acetyl L-carnitine: 1.5 grams (1/2tsp) 2x daily for heart, nerve & energy support, coenzyme Q10 - 100mg daily, L-glutamine: 2 1/2 scoops (10g) 3x daily in water, swish & swallow to protect against mouth sores & diarrhea, flax seeds - ground, 2 tbs. added to food daily, Vitamin D3 - 2000 units (2 drops of liquid D3) for immune & anticancer support, B-Complex #6 - take 1 daily for mood & to prevent neuropathy.

• thank you  so much hunt! :D  Sounds like some of the same things my naturopath is going to recommend.  I JUST read an article on Q10 this afternoon.  It's VERY promising not just to protect the body from chemo but also in helping to eradicate the cancer cells! It was injected into mice which had growing breast cancer cells and they were reduced, etc. Fish oil is a good source of it (Carlson's is supposed to be very good; mercury free, as is Mercola's.) 

Right now, pre-chemo, I'm on flax, C for immune and tissue healing, something called "antronex" for drainage , ganoderma/shiitake mushroom blend, D3, "Total Probiotics", and something called "Ferrofood" which is a very digestable form of iron.  I tend to have very heavy periods, so this has been helpful.  Iron has to be used with care with cancer though.  I'm also  zinc chelate for wound healing.

He's told me all this will change once the chemo starts though.  He does nutritional muscle response testing, so he "tests" the body for each supplement seperately.  His supplements are from Standard Process.

I believe there must be a way to "cure" many cancers naturally.  It happens for some people.  The problem is, that once you have it, you don't have the time to fool around with it,  nor the 'guarantee" that what worked for one person will work for another.  It is hit or miss, at least at this point in history.  If one more person tells me "I had a friend (or heard of a friend of a friend!) who cured her breast cancer without chemo!"  I'm going to scream.  Sorry....but I gotta put my chips where there's been the MOST success for the MOST people and unfortunately, because of the kind of cancer I have, that means chemo!

But I just now was reading about integrative oncologlists - UCLA has some (I'm in jersey though!) and they are working with patients to support the WHOLE body during chemo.  It is frustrating to me that more research hasn't been done in this area.   Therefore, for me, chemo was a choice I had to make because I have to know that I've done everything in my power to conquer this! :)

• Kitty1021
    Kitty1021 Member Posts: 2
    Options

I'm starting my first cycle tomorrow, total 6 every three weeks. and Herceptin for a year. I'm 34.

• Mmahle46
    Mmahle46 Member Posts: 44
    Options

Welcome Kitty1021!  Much luck to you.

Day 3 here and lots of bone/muscle pain.  I'm hoping I can go to the look good feel better class tomorrow.  If you haven't heard of it check it out at lookgoodfeelbetter.org

Back to bed

Y'all have a good night 

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    Options

Hi Kitty1021,

Good luck tomorrow.  Are you doing TCH?  I start in a week.  This is a great group of women, welcome!

• wherria
    wherria Member Posts: 194
    Options

Hi all.  Day 7 almost done and I'm still miserable.  My mouth sores are truly something to behold.  They cover the insides of my cheeks, the roof of my mouth, the floor of my mouth, the sides of my tongue, the back of my throat, and a little bit down into the esophagus.  It hurts to eat, drink and talk.   And I mean HURTS. It feels like there are razor blades in my mouth.  Dh is taking my calls so he can explain to people that it's too uncomfortable for me to talk.  I've got all the rinses, the prescription gel and narcotics (had to page my onc for those yesterday); I'm drinking lots of water even though every swallow makes me cringe; having to rely mostly on Ensures for nutrition because eating is just too painful.  Tried eating a very soft, moist muffin earlier today and it was a disaster.  I'm still running a fever, and my back spasms have kept me in bed for most of the last two days.  (I think the spasms may be coming from the Compazine I have to take along with the pain meds and not necessarily from the chemo itself -- I know this is a common side effect of Compazine, but who knows).  I'm sorry to be such a downer, and for you new folks, I've read that, while mouth sores can be a common se, depending on which meds you're on, they usually don't get this bad.  

Got my head shaved yesterday. I was beginning to feel that scalp tightness and wanted to get it cut off in time to donate it.  It went fine, and I haven't really been shaken by it.  I like the hats I have too! 

I am still very grateful that nausea hasn't been much of an issue.  Still dealing with the diarrhea/constipation balancing act though.  

I'm wondering if I didn't drink enough water on days 2 and 3.  I think maybe I got a little lazy with that, but NO MORE! I want these chemical to wash through me as soon as possible. 

I know I can get through this. I know I can get through this. I know I can get through this. 

• English_Teacher
    English_Teacher Member Posts: 24
    Options

Ann97:  Everyone's reaction to side effects is different, of course, but I still plan on running the half marathon I have scheduled on Oct 1 and the full marathon on Oct 17.  The times will "suck" from my usual times (this will be my 16th marathon) but I committed to this before my diagnosis and the goal for me will be to complete them and have fun doing so! (instead of being all competitive like I usually am!).  So far, I am one treatment down but feeling OK (other than day three which was not fun).

And oddly enough, I have a rash myself -- mostly on my chest and some on my back.  Mine is not itchy (hope it stays that way) so the onco said to put some Cortesene on it for now -- I have an appt with her later this week).  I am wondering if it might be just a regular heat rash since it is so darn hot here in St Louis ....

• 1WonderWoman
    Options

Good evening, ALL!  YOUR FEARLESS LEADER IS CHECKING IN with the Weekly Update!!!!!!

Welcome to all of our new members:

Libraylil

Lkglasco

Kazmtaz

Ann97

Nursewithbreastcancer

Birchtree

Gatineau Survivor

Kity1021

I hope you all find this supportive and helpful as that is our goal.  Welcome to all of you and I am so glad you joined us.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Kity1021: we will all be sending you positive vibes for a great start!  I hope tomorrow goes well.

Glatineau Survivor: I am so glad you found us!   Welcome and I hope this is just what you need every day and that you find us to be the group that you need to help you through this.  Best of luck.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

May you all find some peace and good days this week and not have more challenges than we already have to deal with.

Best of luck to you all-

Liz

• 1WonderWoman
    Options

In the "On Deck" Circle:

KITY1021: August 9

LISAATTHESHORE: August 12

ALICEJEAN: August 13

JSW19: August 13

We will all be sending you good vibes and positive thoughts during your first steps toward bidding bc goodbye.  Please update us with your experiences.

Best of luck from all of us-

YOUR FEARLESS LEADER

• 1WonderWoman
    Options

Wherria:

I am sorry you are having some rough days recently but just remember, and thank god for these pithy maxims we cling to (!), nothing lasts forever including mouth sores and chemo!

I am not making light of your situation and I know you are uncomfortable and I don't blame you.  I hope this week is easier and you find some comfort.

I certainly hope Bixby is doing better as well.

Thanks for contributing, for sharing your experience and for letting us know how you are doing.  This is greatly appreciated-

Best of luck this week- 

Liz

• 1WonderWoman
    Options

This is a new series and it is going to be poem for the week.  I am starting this series by sharing with you all my favorite poem which is by William Ernest Henley and it is titled "Invictus"

Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
    Looms but the Horror of the shade,
    And yet the menace of the years
    Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:.
    I am the captain of my soul.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

This poem, along with the Gettysburg Address(!), I know by heart.  I find the very words are so liberating.  I think we all need to learn and celebrate this poem as our collective anthem and live it every day

YOUR FEARLESS LEADER

• Ann97
    Ann97 Member Posts: 142
    Options

English_Teacher: Wow on the 16 marathons. This would be my first 1/2 marathon. A 10K would have been more suitable to me but I wanted the challenge and to be able to say I did it. Due to the surgery, I've had to take a month off of running. And then I'll only have a week between when I can run again and when I start my first treatment. So I have serious doubts that I'd be able to run that distance. Are you training? Has your treatment changed your "normal" running schedule? The 1/2 marathon I signed up for is about 28 days after my last treatment so other than not being able to really train for it, I might be okay for running without many (hopefully) chemo SE  by then.

And for the rash - It is hot here in Florida too, but I've not been outside much at all. I'm thinking it is stress related. But we'll see what the dr (surgeon) says tomorrow.

Do you teach HS? I'm a former Spanish teacher btw.

Janice

• wherr - I am SO sorry.  You are in my prayers today.  You CAN do this - I know you can!   A friend   reminded me " This is finite.  It WILL have an end". 

I'm waiting for my test results today- tumor marker bloodwork, ct and bone scans.  I had a nightmare about them the other night.  I had to take a xanax last night so I didn't wake up freaking out.  I thought all the panic was over with: I was doing SO well after my surgery, mentally.  Completely at peace: in fact, I've had a great three or four weeks!   I know nothing's "changed" at all except that I had the scans, but now I just seem unable to function, at least temporarily.  I know God will give me the grace to get through it, but I keep taking it back and "chewing" on it in my mind.

Off for an echo in an hour........

• ckptry
    ckptry Member Posts: 333
    Options

Hi,

I just got my start date for chemo 8/27. I'll be getting dd AC, weekly Taxol, Herceptin. I scheduled for a Friday b/c my husband could take me and I thought I could rest when he was home over the weekend. I also have a 5yo and 3 yo and was able to arrange childcare that day. Now it seems from reading the posts that I may be more wiped out after stopping the steroids, which would be Monday when my husband goes back to work. I don't have a big support system; my kids have special needs (nothing more stressful than fighting a school system that sees $$ over the kids needs, wish I could send the dept of ed my medical bills) and I'm wondering which might be the best day for chemo. They said I could move it a day in either direction if I needed to. It's so nice to see all the tips - I was an oncology nurse but on the surgical side of things and I'm so scared I feel like I've forgotten everything I knew (I'm worried about chemo brain since my baseline is pretty low right now:-)

thanks

Carolyn

• English_Teacher
    English_Teacher Member Posts: 24
    Options

Janice/ Ann97:  Keep in mind that in any of these distance races, you can walk at any time!  I usually have a specific training schedule (with a specific long run every week) but this isn't working right now because of the simple fact that I just finished my second surgery two weeks ago and jiggling = not good. Right now I am doing the bulk of amy workout on a bike but I stay on it for hours to sort of equate being on my feet in a half or full marathon.  For the marathon, the cut-off time is something like 7 hours so I suspect I will need that time frame, esp. as I am pretty sure that I will be walking some of it.  And there is nothing wrong with doing that!  So, yes, this whole breast cancer business has interrupted my regular training but I am making do by switching things up a bit.  Also, the chemo sometimes makes my tummy hurt (so far in the one week since my first treatment) so I am having to pick and choose when I work out.

I signed up for both of these races before BC.  The marathon, by the way, is the Nike Women's Marathon in San Francisco (hard to get into!) and you get a Tiffany's necklace given to you by a near-naked firefighter at the finish line.  I WILL get there no matter what, BC be darned!  :D

Good luck with your own running -- and treatment! 

PS:  Teachers rock, eh?!  I  teach at a small college here in the St Louis area, but most of my students are recently graduated high school students!

• rachel5738
    rachel5738 Member Posts: 658
    Options

Hi all--after 3 weeks from Lumpectomy, I will be starting chemo this coming Friday (August 13th--hopefully not a bad omen--Friday 13th). I will have FEC-T every 3rd week. Have my prescriptions to get filled--new bag to take all the stuff. I am ready---or at least hope so :)

• Had my pre-chemo heart echo today. 

Keep in mind I had a left mastectomy - tech says "Oh, did you have a biopsy or something on that side?"
    Uh....that would be a pretty freakin' big biopsy honey, and I think I'd have a good lawsuit against my doctor if so!  :D

ROTFL!  Where do some of these techs come from?
    This after the bone scan woman in nuclear medicine said on Friday "Do you have any metal on your body?"  I told her I had no jewelry on; that I had metal on my shorts zipper, and pointed to my ankle (which was bare) where I had surgery 10 years ago.  Told her I had a plate in it from a break -and she says (drumroll...) "Is it removable?"
    WTH??!  "Um....Gotta pair of plyers??  Let's see!" Surprised

• LadyinBama
    LadyinBama Member Posts: 993
    Options

That's hilarious. BIG biopsy. Have you heard anything on your scans yet?

• No, I called the doctor's office but the receptionist just took a message and said the doctor's super busy all week as she's covering for another doctor!  Don't know what to think - I'm going to have to call her on her cell phone tomorrow if I still hear nothing.  Half the time I think when you leave a message with reception it never gets any further than that! 

On the other hand they may not have the scan results yet.  I did have them late on Friday (4:30 was the ct scan) and maybe it takes a couple of days.  The tech for the ultrasound said it would take 3-5 days for my doctor to get the report.  

ack!  At least it's been a super busy day!

• ckptry
    ckptry Member Posts: 333
    Options

Hi,

My chemo has been moved up to 8/20. One onc told me to be treated within 3 mos, the other said two mos, so we split the difference and are coming back form vacation a little early. I'm getting a power port tomorrow and an echo the next day. I'm more nervous about the port than I though I would be 'powerport' sounds big but feel like I'm burdening my husband with all of these worries.

Carolyn

(IDC B/L Mast 2micro+ SLN, to get dose dense AC, Tx12 H)

• joystars
    joystars Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Oh Lizzy! I saw you started a new group for your chemo treatment and wanted to stop by to say hi and wish you, and all the girls here, the best during their treatment. Hope all is going well. Smile

I'll start mine sometime in December, after baby's birth. Gonna keep an eye on this thread and I'm sure it will help me a lot to know what to expect when December arrives. My chemo treatment will be FEC. Is anyone here having the same one?

One day at a time we are doing it right, hang on there ladies! Smile

Joy & baby 17 weeks!

• Gingerbrew
    Gingerbrew Member Posts: 1,997
    Options

I am new, I sent a pm to "our fearless leader"  

I just want to say hi,

I had my first chemo last monday. 

I moved here on July 10th

I had a lumpectomy in June in Illinois.

My furniture arrived here on July 28th (I think) 

I am in a whirl and my life is full of bvoxes but the move distracted me a bit, maybe that was good or I just delayed my fear. 

After 7 days I feel okay. I didn't drink enough and felt horrid on days 4 and 5 after chem. 

My duaghter is having c section on friday 30 minutes away from here. The timing of all of this not good at all. 

I am here to learn hints on what to do better to have fewer side effects. To feel better, to feel less scared. I am scared. I pray and I hide away from how I feel too. 

Thanks for postinghere. 

I'll be around. ginger

• Ondagrow
    Ondagrow Member Posts: 133
    Options

Hi All...