Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

August 2010...anyone starting chemo besides me?!

Options

Comments

• Mmahle46
    Mmahle46 Member Posts: 44
    Options

Hi y'all,

I got my port put in.  Just woke up to take a pain pill.  It wasn't too bad just sore trying to comfortable to sleep.  Back to the oncologist tomorrow (well today now) for the results of the PET scan. 

I hope everyone is doing well. 

Take care,

• michelle1014
    michelle1014 Member Posts: 19
    Options

jsw19:  I came home with zofran to take for the two days following chemo for nausea and compazine for any nausea I have after that.  Plus I got ativan for nausea, anxiety and sleeplessness.  Granted I haven't needed the compazine so far but I've used both the others.  My onc prefers to send me home with what I might need just in case and in fact told me no matter how you feel take the Zofran for the two days following.  Plus I had to take steriods the day before, day of and day after chemo.  I'm doing T/C every 3 weeks four times, since I'm HER2- I don't need the H.

adey:  I had the choice between AC/T each for 4 weeks every other week from one onc and then got a second opinion from another onc and she said T/C for 4 weeks every three weeks.  I didn't like the SE of the A, and I'm HER2-, so I went with my 2nd opinion oncs recommendation and my first onc is the one who is doing the treatment, she was fine with my 2nd opinions onc's recommendation.  I've only had my first infusion on July 22, my next is Aug 12 and my SE have been minimal.  I also went from having to have 8 treatments (AC/T) to 4 treatments (T/C).  That in itself won me over. 

Michelle   

• texasrose361
    texasrose361 Member Posts: 895
    Options

HAIRLOSS: i figure my hair is gonna fall out anyways why not have fun with it! I am going to shave the sides and wear a mowhawk! ;) i have no qualms about being bald. in fact i shaved my head just because in highschool (graduated in 2001) SCANS: it is very important to ease our minds, should be SOP to get everyone a scan. Also its important to know because if you have mets, but you did a mx b4 chemo then you have to wait to heal and the mets go untreated... Hello you dont want it to get any worse!

• IowaSue45
    IowaSue45 Member Posts: 422
    Options

I did get my port put in yesterday and for me I had 0 pain and didn't even fill the pain meds. Kind of amazed how far it sticks out. I can't even tell it is there.

Wondering if everyone plans on working through their treatments. If not do you have disability though your job? If you don't have disability do you get SSD, I guess I don't know all the options. I don't know much about the FMLA either but not sure my employer is big enough to be part of that act.

• libraylil
    libraylil Member Posts: 325
    Options

Hi, I was diagnosed about 2 weeks after mamale46.  So I am going for my scan tomorrow and hopefully the party will begin withing the next two weeks.  I am terrified the scan will "show something".  Have thought about every cough, twinge, and itch I have experienced in the last year. So far I have only told a handfull of peeps.  I'm waiting until school starts to unveil to all.  My principal has been very supportive and told me to take whatever time I need.  Yesterday I spoke with the assist princ.  Same support from her.  (She is also one that will kick my butt if I start to throw a pity party.  I'll need that).  I cannot tell you how much all of you have helped me through the last two/three weeks.  I was very "educated" before I even saw the surgeon or onco thanks to all of you.  The vibe from them was that they realized this and appreciated it.  I need positive vibes about the scan as I am so worried.

ILC multifocal <3cm  neoadjuvant chemo with a year of herceptin afterwards.

Beth

• KAZmTAZ
    KAZmTAZ Member Posts: 33
    Options

Hello Lizzy, I have a start date of 8/19. Finally...

• LadyinBama
    LadyinBama Member Posts: 993
    Options

Re Scans: During an MRI done for biopsy purposes, "something" showed up on my liver, so of course I freaked. They ordered a CT and they said it was a bening hermanigonoma (sp?), a common liver thing. BUT "something" showed on my lungs in the CT, so they ordered a PET scan. It too came back that it was nothing, they said probably old scar tissue from an old infection. They said that lots of stuff shows up on these scans that everybody has in their bodies, they just never know it  because they never go through all these tests and scans.

Anyway, these were the most miserable days I had through this whole thing so far. Waiting to hear if the "somethings" were really anything. I feel for you Zenith and pray it will also turn out to be nothing to worry about.

Regina

• wherria
    wherria Member Posts: 194
    Options

Hunt: Congratulations on getting through your first Tx! I'm glad it went so well.  Be sure to keep us posted on how you're doing.

Zenith: I am so sorry to hear about the spot on your bone scan, although Calamty is right that it could be anything, but I know it's still extremely scary.  When will it be biopsied?

IowaSue: I understand what you mean about being anti-med.  I've had to be on an assortment of meds for a long time for other things, but I can't say I'e ever liked it!  When it comes to things like the steroids making you gain weight and things like that, I just keep telling myself that this is temporary, and I will get my body back the way I want it once it's all said and done.  But on the subject of the steroids, just FYI, I am only being given half the dose one would regularly be given because of another med. condition, and have done just fine with the other anti-emetics, so if you're worried about the steroid se's, it may be something to talk to your onc about.  I have found that, even being on a low dose of the dexamethasone I've still needed fewer anti-emetics than they prepared me for.  And, by the way, you can NEVER question too much in this process!  This is your body everyone's talking about, your life.  The better educated you are the better off everyone is, including your docs! Do not be intimidated.  Make sure you get all your questions answered, because you're the one who needs to feel confident in the Tx you're getting.  One tool I use, if I feel like I'm running out of time with my doc or whatever (though, I'm lucky that my onc. is very respectful both of the knowledge I bring into the room, and the questions I have), is to just say,"I have some more questions/things I'd like to cover.  When might be a good time to do that?"  Usually, if they are feeling in a hurry or thought the appt. was almost over, this question, in my experience, usually makes them stop or slow down, and say, "Go ahead, what else are you wondering about?" or they'll give you a time when they will call your or something like that.  Anyway, it's a way to let them know you need more from them without feeling like you're trying to squeeze in your questions as they're walking out the door.  Just a thought.

Scrabblelady: I'm sorry your dh's response isn't more empathetic right now.  I had a similar situation with my dh, who is usually as supportive as they come.  He would just kind of send me signals with his body language or vibe, that he didn't really want to hear about se's.  I figured it was just that they were so hard for him to think about.  So I just told him, that that was the vibe I was getting, that I knew it was scary for him to think about, but that I really needed to be able to talk to him about the se's because they scared me, and (not necessarily in these words, but close) that I didn't have the luxury of not having to think about them, and I didn't want to be alone in that.  It worked.  He apologized, said I was right that his response was coming from his own fear of having to see me go through this, and that he agreed that he needed to, in his words, "toughen up and stand up" and be available to me in whatever way I needed him.  I hope you can get to a similar place with your dh. 

Calamty: I made an appt. with the oncology nutritionist that works in my onc.'s practice.  Do you think you would want to see one that specializes in onc. nut.? 

• Regina -glad to know those things about your scans.  I mean, not GLAD all that anxiety happened to you for sure!  But that every little thing that lights up isn't necessarily something bad.  I broke my ankle a few years ago - I am sure that will show something strange on a scan (that and all the metal that's in it! :-) 

• wherria
    Options

Two questions for the group:

If you're having mouth sores/nausea, or whatever, what have you found to eat that works for you?

And, is anyone getting their heads shaved this weekend? 

• Ondagrow
    Ondagrow Member Posts: 133
    Options

Hugs and Prayers to you all...

WHERRIA,

I am taking tums and pep-to bismol for my heartburn...The meds prescibed by my Med Onc are really working...I shaved my head last Saturday...

Heartburn Heartburn Heartburn....Fatigue....and more heartburn is what I am experiencing....I only get a lil nauseous when I need to eat or talk to much...HEARTBURN, HEARTBURN...

• lisasinglem
    lisasinglem Member Posts: 239
    Options

I had some nausea for the first time this morning.  Yesterday (Day 3) and this morning (Day 4) have been really difficult.  I made it to rehearsal last night, but did almost no talking - just sang through what I needed to and went home.  I just ate some oatmeal this morning which was comforting.

Not sure if it is the chemo or the Neulasta shot that is kicking my ass - the bone pain is really annoying.  I'm definitely going to see the acupuncturist a friend recommended.  Generally I feel like I've been hit with a Mack Truck.  Part of me really didn't want to write this here, and bring any more fear to those of you who are about to start.  But, the good news is that it comes on gradually (I was afraid I'd start feeling bad while the infusion bag was still hooked up.)  And, I'm greatly hopeful that this is the worst, and it can only get better from here until the next round.

I am getting my hair shaved today!  I'm trying to have as much fun with it as I can, so I'm bringing all my hats, scarves, wigs.  Hopefully tomorrow is a better day.

Stay strong ladies!!!!

• rachel5738
    rachel5738 Member Posts: 658
    Options

Hi all--I had meeting with radiation doctor this AM and he provided some additional information on the lymph node--seems as though surgeon may have removed all "Level 1" nodes so perhaps no additional surgery required (although this has to be confirmed tomorrow with surgeon). If there is more surgery--it will delay my chemo for up to one month or so--push me into September group :) but we will wait and see. I am hoping that things will get moving after tomorrow's meeting with surgeon.

• lisasinglem
    Options

I had some nausea for the first time this morning.  Yesterday (Day 3) and this morning (Day 4) have been really difficult.  I made it to rehearsal last night, but did almost no talking - just sang through what I needed to and went home.  I just ate some oatmeal this morning which was comforting.

Not sure if it is the chemo or the Neulasta shot that is kicking my ass - the bone pain is really annoying.  I'm definitely going to see the acupuncturist a friend recommended.  Generally I feel like I've been hit with a Mack Truck.  Part of me really didn't want to write this here, and bring any more fear to those of you who are about to start.  But, the good news is that it comes on gradually (I was afraid I'd start feeling bad while the infusion bag was still hooked up.)  And, I'm greatly hopeful that this is the worst, and it can only get better from here until the next round.

I am getting my hair shaved today!  I'm trying to have as much fun with it as I can, so I'm bringing all my hats, scarves, wigs.  Hopefully tomorrow is a better day.

Stay strong ladies!!!!

• LadyinBama
    Options

Scrabblelady: ditto Wherria. I have to remember not to talk too much about things I learn on this forum because my DH thinks I spend too much time "worrying" about what's going to happen and keeps saying "every case is different; you can't believe what you read on the Internet." I KNOW every case is different, and I don't think I'm worrying, just trying to gather info and support. But I've learned to not talk to him about this particular thing (being online) too much because it seems to be a hot button with him.

Regina

• mlv2356
    mlv2356 Member Posts: 22
    Options

T minus 2 hours before we leave for my fist A/C tx.  Nervous - somewhat of the unknown. Anxious of the SE - very but they are loading me up with all kinds of anti-SE drugs so hopefully they will be minimal.  Relieft - very in that we are finally getting the train out of the station and onto the chemo tracks to our end destination - NED!! 

Here is a list of drugs my husband came home with yesterday:  Emla to numb the port, Dexamethasone, Ativan (nausea/sleep agent) and Emend (nausea).  The chart on when to take each drug looks like a NASA lift off checklist.  I anxious I'll forget to take one at the prescribed time.  Anyone else taking these and can tell me any SE I should be concerned about?  Thanks.

I saw a thread on here about kids and cancer.  I have a 4yr old daughter and 1yr old son.  This too is my biggest concern - how it will affect my daughter (son hopefully will not have any memory of this).  She is super sensitive to all the seriousness going on so my husband and I decided to ship her off to Grandma/Papa's two states over for a month.  I just couldn't get out of my imagination her innocent face watching me bellied over the toilet. I will miss my little girl so much and curse BC for making me miss even a day of her life, but in the end it was what is best for her.  I'm just so grateful we have the resources and grandparents willing to do this.  She will miss my first two tx and then Grandma may keep her longer or return with her for my 3rd adn 4th tx.  I am assuming (maybe wrongly) that A/C will be worse than Tax.  Anyone know differently?

We are scheduled for dose dense A/C for 4 rounds followed with Taxotere every 3 weeks for 4 rounds.  I was really wishing for more rounds ( i know call me crazy), but I'm 42 with very young children and want to make sure we are throwing the kitchen sink at this.  Anyone else question a Stage 3c dx as having ONLY 8 rounds?  I read other's tx of 10, 14, 16 rounds and question why I'm only getting 8.  Thoughts??

Loving all the tid bit rememdies to curb SE and make this all a bit more comfortable.  My husband was really excited on the duct tape idea. MEN!!.  I welcomed the discussion on shaving my head only to 1/2 to 1/4 inch.  I was all set to go full bore, but it makes sense that my head will be extra sensitive and to step into this slowly.  I'm hoping to donate my ponytail (11in) to locks of love and then have my hairdresser shave my head on the 26th - a week after my second tx.  Love the soft skull cap idea and padding - thanks.

OK, I guess I need to get my 1 year old packed and ready to be babysat at my friends.  Thanks for reading/listening and responding.  Hugs to each of you on your own personal road to recovery!!

Michelle

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    Options

Hi mlv2356,

The schedule of when to take the medications sounds really useful. I was thinking I would try to put one together for myself. My first chemo is scheduled for 8/16.

• Mmahle46
    Options

Hi y'all!

Today I went back to the oncologist.  My PET scan and Echo were both good.  I start chemo tomorrow.  He changed me from 6 cycles to only 4 cycles of FEC then Taxol with Herceptin weekly x12 then every 3 weeks to complete the year cycle of Herceptin.  I am pretty happy about having just 4 cycles of FEC as my daughter is having a baby in October and my last cycle will be just before the baby is due. 

Sohard-Have you tried pepcid for the heartburn?  I don't know maybe it will help.  Heartburn sucks.

Lisa-Sorry you are so tired.  I hope it feels better in the next couple days.  Hang in there.  I hope the bone pain eases up.  I think I read to take Claritin for that?  Let me know if you tried that.  Can't wait to hear how the head shaving goes!

Michelle-Hope everything went well for you today.  I know its got to be hard with young kids.  

Take care,

Mary 

• wherria
    Options

Greetings all.  Hope everyone is having the best day possible.

Sohard: When did you start? I can't remember. And, how do you feel post-shave? I'm thinking this weekend.  As for the heartburn, my nurse told me to take Prilosec (olmeprazole) would work better than Pepto.

Lisa: I'm right there with you! Neulast... bone pain... mack truck.  I did take the Claritin, but I don't know if it helped or not, because there's definitely been, and still is, pain.  Same for me - days 3 and 4 very hard.  I was also hesitant to mention it, but like you, I figured maybe it will get better from here.  Are you having muscle pain too?  I am, especially in my back. Tylenol has helped enough that I've been able to get out some, but I'm disappointed that I haven't felt up for running.  Just reminding myself that this will only last a few days, and then I can try to run again.  Anybody doing any massage?  I'm thinking it may help, but I still have fluid retention and swelling from surgeries, and regular massage can be very counter-productive if you're trying to prevent Lymphedema, and Lymphedema massage is a very unique specialty, so going for a massage has me worried. Anybody else still doing occupational or physical therapy post-mastectomy, and if so, how are you doing with that at the same time as chemo?

Good luck with your shave today, Lisa.  I look forward to hearing how it went.

LadyinBama: I'm just thinking about this issue that several of us seem to be having with our dh's and how much and what to talk to them about, etc. You didn't ask for my advice, but I have a few thoughts if that's okay.  Do you think it might help to ask him, at a time when he seems at his best in terms of communication and sensitivity, why he has such a strong reaction to the things you're reading about?  Do you think it would help to explain to him, that, for you, the place you are in now, and have been for such a long time, is a place with too many unknowns, and that learning about other peoples' experiences helps you deal with how emotionally difficult it is to have all these unknowns hanging over your head?  That for you, knowing about the possibilities is easier than having to be afraid of surprises.  That in fact, you think the unknowns may be harder, emotionally at least, than dealing with whatever se's may eventually come your way.   I'd hate for you to have to give up talking to him about this stuff altogether.  I know that when I did basically this with my dh it helped us both.  I was able to tell him clearly that I was not obsessing or assuming that everything I read about was going to happen to me, but that hearing about the things that, some of which anyway, could happen actually helped me reign in my own imagination about the worst possible scnario. And I was able to tell him clearly what I needed from him, namely to be able to talk to him about all this stuff without feeling judged.  And it helped him too (I just asked him to tell me how it helped, so this is from him), because by asking him why he was responding the way he was helped him realize that it was because of his own difficulty imagining these se's happening to me, and that he actually needed to voice, or at least realize, what his specific fears were. He agreed that talking about how he was reacting and being asked to help me in a specific way really opened things up for both of us.  You can explain to him, that you know all he really wants is to help you, and that it would be a big help if you could go on sharing with him what you're learning, and that it might in fact help you not to dwell on the scary stuff because things that remain hidden or secret or unspoken so often take on so much more power than if they were just out in the open. My husband also told me that it was a revelation to him until I brought this up how lonely and isolated I felt in all my wondering about what was going to happen to me, and that it was actually a relief for him to know that here was something he could actually do to make this a little easier for me.  He says, "I needed to be told that you were feeling lonely and isolated in this, and, I know it's a guy thing to say, but guys understand this, I needed to 'man up' and do what I could to help my wife."  He just told me (I hope you don't mind that I've brought him into this conversation), that he has felt better since we talked about it, and has actually felt better himself in terms of his own fears of se's.  Anyway, sorry if I'm barging in with unsolicited advice, but it seemed like an important thing, and I wanted to share how it worked out for me.

• LadyinBama
    Options

Mmahle46: Please let us know how you do; those are my drugs too. I still don't have a definite start date though.

Regina

• wherria
    Options

sorry to post again so soon after such a long post earlier, but...Embarassed

mlv: yes on the tons of meds! I had to call the day after Tx to ask again which meds to take and in what order (their take-home instructions weren't very thorough).  I left there with four anti-nausea meds and didn't know which to take when, other than Emend each morning for two more days. I don't know about y'all, but when it comes to the anti-emetics, my big fear is getting so darn constipated by them, as I tend toward that direction anyway. So I've tried to take as few of them as possible and in the order of the least constipating (not that I really think I know that very well).  I've also been taking stool softeners at night when I've had to take the anti-emetics.  I guess I'm looking for some very delicate balance between se's of chemo (diarrhea and/or constipation)/se's of anti-emetics' (constipation)/not too many stool softeners vs. not enough... AAAUUGGHHH! Anybody else with me? I figure I'm learning this time around and maybe I'll figure out what works for next time.  I'd love any advice!

Also, mlv, I'm sorry about how hard it is to get your children through this with you.  Not something I've had to deal with, as I don't have children, but I'm sympathetic! Who knows, maybe the se's will be manageable and your daughter will get to come home sooner than you planned. I hope the best for all of you. As for you questions about se's of AC vs taxotere, when we were considering that regimen, she too said that the se's from the AC would be harder than the taxotere.  And as for doing more rounds, all I can say is that I've read so much about how the medical community has learned that in the history of CA Tx, we have by far tended to over-treat, whether through surgery, radiation, or chemo, and that we've learned, and keep learning, that more Tx doesn't necessarily mean better prognosis or outcome.   

mmahle: Yea for clear PET scan and Echo!  I hope tomorrow goes smoothly and easily.

Good luck to everyone starting tomorrow, and, for that matter, everyone else getting through one more day!

• about kids:  I'm a mom of four -- ages 6 to 13.  One thing I've learned and i learned it pretty early on is that kids are resiliant.  when my 11 year old was 5, he contracted some kind of spinal infection.  He was in horrible leg pain but they couldn't find out why.  Took him to the ER three times and they kept sending us home.  He couldn't walk and cried constantly - all night, and couldn't move.  We FINALLY got an orthopedist who would listen to us and admitted him to the hospital.  It was 8 days of hell after that. Bone scans, cat scans, MRI's --every time someone moved him he screamed and cried.  I'll never forget the night the doctor came in and did a knee tap right there in his bed - pulled fluid from his knee without so much as a local anesthetic, in an attempt to find out what was going on with his pain.  This poor baby went through hell basically.  They put him on antibiotic which very slowly resolved his symptoms.
    But meanwhile my other two kids were shipped to grandma's.  They were 8 and 18 months at the time.  I felt like my family was torn apart.  I was 8 months pregnant at the time as well. 

I will tell you it was HARD to see my kids go through that time.  When he got home, he had to have a pic line for several weeks and he developed an allergic reaction to the antibiotic, etc.  All in all, it was a VERY difficult five or six weeks for us all.

I remember being on the phone with a psychologlist friend of mine while my son was in the hospital.  I was crying that I was so afraid  my son would hate us for putting him through all of this and it would have last effects.  He told me not to worry; that children are very resiliant.  If you ask my son today what he remembers about that horrendous experience?  He'll tell you he remembers his dad bringing him down in a wheelchair; getting microwave popcorn from a vending machine and his dad making it there.  That, and he remembers my brother coming and staying with him all night, playing with his stuffed gingerbread man with him.  That's what he remembers.  He remembers nothing of the anxiety and the pain. 

Kids are funny!   Sending your daughter to your mom's for a month might be good for you, might not.  Just play it by ear.  But whatever you decide, don't feel badly, or guilty or anything like that.  Right now I feel like I want my kids around me.  They're going to grandma's tonight cause I have two LONG scans tomorrow.  I will miss them horribly (usually it's a nice break when they go, but I suddenly want them near me).  Once chemo starts, I will see them much less I'm sure and I'm trying to gear up to not feel badly about that.  

The important thing is that this is a finite thing - it's NOT forever.  I believe you'll go on and raise your daughter and it will be a distant memory if she even remembers it at all! :)

• My scans got pushed up to tomorrow!  Surprised  I'm kind of scared but I'm also relieved as we will have an answer sooner and this gives me less time to worry about them.  I'm flipping out about all this radiation and dye drinks and injections and such.  UGH!  But I want answers;  I wish my surgeon had done this, but for whatever reason, I believe I'm supposed to be having them now. 

It worked out well -- they called and said they had to cancel next week since they are not able to have the drink delivered that fast.  BUT that they  just had a cancellation for TOMORROW morning for both bone and ct and I can have that person's radioactive drink ;)  

This is a huge hurdle for me; I'm scared...............guess we won't have results until Monday. 

• Ann97
    Ann97 Member Posts: 142
    Options

Hello everyone.  I wasn't sure if I'd start chemo in Aug or Sept so I held off from joining this group.  I found out today that I'll start on Aug 24 so I would like to join if I may.

I had a BMX/TE on July 21, without clear margins.  I had isolated tumor cells in one node.  I will have 4 cycles of TC followed by 5 weeks of radiation.

I look forward to getting to know you all.

Janice

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    Options

Welcome to our group!!!

• libraylil
    libraylil Member Posts: 325
    Options

calamtykel,  I'll be scanning Friday at 7:00 am also with results on Monday.  Good luck to you. Beth

• Mmahle46
    Options

Welcome Janice!

Good luck on your scans tomorrow Calamtukel and Libraylil!

I'm nervous about starting tomorrow and just hoping I can go to sleep.  I did drink almost a gallon of water.  I will probably be running back and forth to the restroom!

Y'all have good night.

• lisasinglem
    Options

Good luck to everyone on your scans this week.  I hope that they show everything is normal!  Sending healthy vibes your way.

I'm finally feeling more human this evening.  Last night and this morning were the worst part.  I'm feeling a little abandoned by my husband because he left to go back to work on Wednesday morning, and Wednesday was when things started getting bad.

On the upside, I did the deed and shaved my head.  It was actually fun - a friend who is a hairdresser did it for free, and everyone says that I look great without hair.  I should have done this years ago. :-)  

It is one thing I can do on MY TERMS.  And I'm glad I did.  You can see the new pic.

• mlv2356
    mlv2356 Member Posts: 22
    Options

Hoping for good resuts on your scans tomorrow: Calamtukel and Libraylil.

Calamtukel: Thanks for the encouraging words re; the kids.  I know she is in the best place for her right now.  Talked with her tonite and the parents are getting her up at 6am to go fishing on their boat at the local lake.  She's never been on a boat so am nervous I'm not there in case something happens but I have to have faith my parents will keep her safe.  

Wherria - It's funny you mention trying to refrain from taking the "extra" drugs.  I too was in the same boat.  I'll take them if I feel I need them.  Then I spoke with my aunt today who had stage 3 bc 4 years ago.  She also took as little SE drugs as she could, tried to keep up with housework and work through her ailments.  Her advice to me..... do the opposite.  Take the prescribed drugs, rest whenever I can and the house will stay standing.  She also said constipation is easily treatable with Prune juice, nausea is not easily treatable once it comes on.  So, for me I guess I'm taking the drugs.  And yes we have a mega bottle of Prune juice just in case : )

Had my1st tx today.  \ Hopefully I can sleep through my first nite. I;ll post the experience tomorrow.

Goodnite,
    Michelle

• wherria
    Options

Michelle: Thanks for sending your grandmother's advice.  To be a little personal, I just get constipated so easily!Embarassed Does prune juice work as well/better than stool softeners or mild laxatives (I know I don't want to take any strong laxatives), 'cause I am getting to the point where I really need something to work!   

I look forward to hearing how your Tx went.  Don't be surprised or discouraged if your tired this morning.  I was a little surprised, but just kept telling myself, "Listen to your body."

Calamtykel and Libraylil, good luck on your scans!  I'm thinking nice, clear, nothing-to-see pictures for you both! 

Lisa: Glad you were feeling a bit more human last night, and hopefully today you will even more so.  

I don't really feel like I'm doing that well.  Well, that's probably overstating it.  I'm doing okay, I' just still feel really sidelined by the bone/joint/muscle aches from the Neulasta shot.  I had to get up in the middle of night and take more Tylenol because I was too uncomfortable to sleep.  I'm wondering if I should call and ask for something stronger, but then there's that constipation issue again (pain meds).  Also, I feel like I have a leper's colony full of sores inside my mouth.  It's a regular, multi-colored carnival inside there.  They aren't as painful as they may sound, but they're a far cry from comfortable.

This is kind of a different subject, but for me, it's sort of part and parcel of my cancer experience so far.  The same week I was Dx'd, one of my dogs, Bixby, was Dx'd with a dangerous autoimmune disease (though at first everyone thought it was cancer too).  He's been very sick, and in the middle of running around to all of my appointments and figuring things out for my own Tx, I've been taking him back and forth to vets and animal hospitals trying to get him stable.  He's on powerful immunosuppressants that we really want to get him off of, but we can't until his blood counts are stable for several weeks at least. And even then, if we do get him off the meds, we don't know if he'll just relapse or go into remission.  This morning, I have to drag my achey bones to the vet and get his blood drawn.  I'd appreciate your thoughts/prayers for good results for him today too.  I know this isn't what this list is for, but his illness and mine are emotionally linked in some strange way for me.  I can't describe how much my dogs mean to me.  I don't know what I'd do without them, especially since my husband is gone working most of the time.  It's been really hard taking care of all this stuff without my dh around very much, but I really need to hear some good news about Bixby today, cause I'm worried sick.  Thanks.

Lisa: Congrats on getting your head shaved.  I'm so glad you like it.  If my husband isn't working this weekend, I'm shooting for Saturday.  Did I tell you that there's a little cancer boutique owner who has offered to shave my head for free.  She is a wonderful lady and even called me the other night to see how my first Tx went (she had jotted the date down the last time I was there and I mentioned it to her).  Very sweet, and not just a sales tactic.  I can tell she really cares and wants to help other survivors.

Best to all for a good day!