Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• lvtwoqlt
    lvtwoqlt Member Posts: 765
    edited August 2010

. . . when you know personally how Barbie feels with no color or nipples on her boobs.

...when you think of crazy things to do to 'shock' your doctors and nurses.

...when you shock your ps with removable tattoos in strategic places and tell him you were tired of the 'barbie boob' look.

• navygirl
    navygirl Member Posts: 369
    edited August 2010

...when you no longer hesitate to tell a man on the train to stand up so you can sit down!

• navygirl
    navygirl Member Posts: 369
    edited August 2010

...when you no longer hesitate to tell a man on the train to stand up so you can sit down!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited August 2010

...when your daily life involves so many acronyms you might as well work at IBM....or NBC...or, well, you get it. (Why haven't they got an acronym for acronym?)

• Bugs
    Bugs Member Posts: 21
    edited August 2010

When looking at red kool-aid takes on a whole new dimension.

Regarding the book idea...it's great.  But I think what's posted on bco is owned by bco.  You may want to start by checking with Melissa.

• Faith316
    Faith316 Member Posts: 1,088
    edited August 2010

Bugs is probably right about BCO owning what is posted here.  I'm on a different forum and that is the policy there.  But, maybe if the proceeds from the book went to research, BCO would allow it.

• Faith316
    Faith316 Member Posts: 1,088
    edited August 2010

You know you're a cancer patient when you are at the beach and can't go out in the sun with your family because the chemo you are on makes you get sunburned just walking from the car into the grocery store. 

• one-L
    one-L Member Posts: 653
    edited August 2010

..you know you have had one too many chemos,when you can't even remember what road you live on.

--you know you're a cancer patient, when you take a shower in the morning and then look in the mirror and you wonder who that old bald headed man in the mirror is.

• micheleboots
    micheleboots Member Posts: 885
    edited August 2010

...you forgot what you were going to post on ...."you know your a cancer patient when"...and you just scrolled down to add something funny, you just can't remember what it was.  Damn, why can't I remember, I am sure it was funny.

..the friends who know you best are friends you never met.  Love you gals and this site.

...you let your daughter cut your hair just for fun. 

...you are jealous of other cancer patients because there are fund-raiser in their honor...And your credit card is smoking from your latest trip to the pharmacy..

• jdootoo
    jdootoo Member Posts: 13
    edited August 2010

You know you're a cancer patient when you have maxed out all your insurance copays. I guess there are some perks!

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,874
    edited August 2010

.....when you finally stop crying and accept that you have breast cancer.

• one-L
    one-L Member Posts: 653
    edited August 2010

-- actually it goes like this.  You know you are a cancer patient, when you can't reason out why someone on the same road you live on  could have the same address as you.  My DH pointed out that it was the road number, not the house number. 

-- you look at your own brother and think, would I recognize him on the street?

-- when you just can't think of the right words to explain something, so everyone would understand.

-- when you are working with someone at work and you take these little micro naps and say something stupid  and so unrelated when you wake up

• LeeInVegas
    LeeInVegas Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2010

...when you wake up everyday for a week with lashes in your eye.

• pip57
    pip57 Member Posts: 7,080
    edited August 2010

When you are told that the radiation tx may leave you with heart problems 20 years from now and you are smiling at the thought of being alive to experience that!

When you use lubricant regularly with no thoughts of having sex in the foreseeable future.

• justpayton1
    justpayton1 Member Posts: 65
    edited August 2010

When you go to get out of your recliner and it takes you 10 minutes to do so because you don't trust your feet...

you finally stand up and are "surprised" it wasn't painful (this time) and than forget why you even bothered to stand up in the 1st place...

• Pamelajo
    Pamelajo Member Posts: 124
    edited August 2010

You know you are a cancer patient when you can say a prayer for strength and help in one breath and then curse like a sailor as they are hooking up your IV for infusion..............and you know God understands.

• Lady_Madonna
    Lady_Madonna Member Posts: 313
    edited August 2010

...Amen!

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited August 2010

You wake up, get dressed and head out the door to start your day.Then you realize you never even looked  in a mirror once.

• Marple
    Marple Member Posts: 10,154
    edited August 2010

LOL Mum. 

.........when this thread is on your list of favs and is one of the first one's you read when you sign in. 

.......when you can giggle at so many things posted here. 

Edit to add........when you'd be horrified before your dx at things that make you giggle on this thread now.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited August 2010

...when to you 3rd generation could be grandkids, mobile phone network (3G) or chemo regimen.

• Firni
    Firni Member Posts: 521
    edited August 2010

Love that one Badger.  

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited August 2010

Thanks Firni...I learned about 3G chemo on BCO...this place rocks!!

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    edited August 2010

You tell a business associate of your DH's that her newly-dx'd sister is welcome to call you if you can help in anyway.  When she calls, you go totally blank on her sister's name, but you stop short of blaming the very awkward information gap on chemo-brain because you'd rather let her think you're just a bit slow than scare her about chemo.

• kittycat
    kittycat Member Posts: 1,155
    edited August 2010

When your day looks like this... Wake up and rush to the bathroom (and hopefully not pee on yourself)... Lay down... Take a pill with juice or water... try to find something appetizing to eat... lay down... watch TV and get bored... rush to the bathroom again... change underwear because you peed a little in your undies... take a shower... lay down... do make up... lay down...  put on wig... take a pill... make a reminder list of things to do... try and go out and get something accomplished... come home.. try and eat.. lay down... take a pill... sleep  :)

• Lady_Madonna
    edited August 2010
    ...when you wake up on Saturday "morning" at 12:30 pm and still think you could go back to sleep!
  • squidwitch42
    squidwitch42 Member Posts: 1,467
    edited August 2010

yup, woke up at 12:30 today....  :)

• marcy4
    marcy4 Member Posts: 14
    edited August 2010

When you talk about your treatment ,mentioning drugs by name, and your husband says it sounds like some bizarre code that no understands.  Wow, my vocabulary has really increased over the past few months!

• Leah58
    Leah58 Member Posts: 62
    edited August 2010

your pill minder is way TOO small for your ever growing stash of meds to deal with the ever changing side effects of treatments.

thinking about your "hairdo" for the day- your choices are: go commando with your 1/2 inch hair, ball cap, wig, or scarf?  

and when you do go commando with your very short hair and people stare at you and you know they are thinking; weird short hair or pitiful cancer patient or I am glad I'm not her.  But you just smile sweetly and carry on because you are alive and your hair is growing back!!

you put your new foobs into your new mastectomy swimsuit and later in the afternoon when you look at yourself in the mirror for the first time and wonder why are my foobs hanging so low, near my belly button and wonder why didn't I check out my new swimsuit look before I went to the lake??????  Attractive look!!

• DesignerMom
    DesignerMom Member Posts: 730
    edited August 2010

This thread is just to funny, kind of crying, sad funny, but good too.  Will someone please tell me what ROFLMAO means?

You know you are a cancer patient when a friend e-mails you that she is sorry about your "nymph lodes" and you just can't stop laughing.  I've called them nymph lodes ever since!

All you ladies with two year olds stealing your wigs.  God bless children!  They sure do put it all in the right light!

Lady Madonna-  I don't know if "regular" people would find this funny if published, but unfortunately, there is a HUGE market of cancer people out there.  I bet there are plenty who would "get it".

Kitty-  I'm with you about running out of TV shows and watching fantasy travel channels. I'm watching fantasy food cooking channels too!

• Lady_Madonna
    edited August 2010

Designer...

Rolling On the Floor Laughing My A** Off!!  

(I have teens, I know text and computer speak!  ;)