Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• squidwitch42
    squidwitch42 Member Posts: 1,467
    edited September 2010

lowrider,

sounds like such fun!  don't forget your bugspray :)

when you take your morning medications and spit them back out into your hand because you can't remember what you just took.  (what, am I too proud to have a pill box? really!) 

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 709
    edited September 2010

When all of me friends on the Board have to tell me that Hurricane Earl is headed me way. And I turn on the weather channel to find out that mandatory evacuation orders are being listed for all parts south of me on the Outer Banks and the weather channel people are now interviewing folks in Kitty Hawk-about ten miles south of me AND the evac order will likely be issued today or tomorrow for us. And ya' cannot leave the island anyway bec 30,000 tourons are going to be stuck on the only bridge off the islands tomorrow trying to get off the Outer Banks!!! And the fridge is empty and there is no gas for the generator!! I need coffee xxooo, SV

• JustmeAlicia
    JustmeAlicia Member Posts: 629
    edited September 2010

so many funny posts !!!  Love the cat picture StillVertical.

Iodine ~ so true about the "nips" will work for him...  lol

• lvtwoqlt
    lvtwoqlt Member Posts: 765
    edited September 2010

Yup, the nips work for him but not me.

StilV, I saw on our news at noon that two reporters from Charlotte are on the OBs, one showed video from Cape H and the road was already getting overwash during high tide, the other was at Kitty Hawk talking about the waves still being over 5 ft at low tide. One woman I work with is going to MB friday morning, hurricane or not. She is crazy! The last time I was at the coast was about 16 yrs ago and we stayed at Kitty Hawk and I remember crossing that bridge. I am far enough away from the coast that we may only get some rain. Stay safe.

Sheila

• Stanzie
    Stanzie Member Posts: 1,611
    edited September 2010

Love the cat picture!

• mymountain
    mymountain Member Posts: 8
    edited September 2010

when you try to give your sisters and daughter a breast exam!

• KimMN
    KimMN Member Posts: 10
    edited September 2010

I love the cat picture too!  I had to add it to my caringbridge site for some more good laughs.  StilV, you best stock the fridge or 4-wheel it on the roofs of the tourons!  Best of luck!

• nancywillwin
    nancywillwin Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2010

you know you have breast cancer when you see your daughters hair on the salon floor and want to take it home and glue it to your winter hat!Tongue out

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phil 4:13

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited September 2010

nancywillwin - your first post!  Welcome to a great club you never wanted to join!

...when people compliment you on the shape of your head (uh...thanks (I think Undecided))

• CoolBreeze
    CoolBreeze Member Posts: 250
    edited September 2010

When you feel left out when you see a bald sister in active treatment and you now are sporting your 1 inch haircut.

When you twist your body when hugging somebody to try not to press the rock of your TE into them.

(I didn't read them all, sorry if they are dupes)

• [Deleted User]
    edited September 2010

When ya go out to get "Hurricane supplies" and come home with gasoline and ice cream!! ((((Hugs)))) SV

• squidwitch42
    squidwitch42 Member Posts: 1,467
    edited September 2010

stillvertical,

do you have some supplies now?  do you have enough meds? 

Squid is concerned!

• kittycat
    kittycat Member Posts: 1,155
    edited September 2010

when you wished you had bought a one story house.  Those stairs can be a killer on chemo days! 

when you continue to meet people in the chemo suite that truly amaze you! 

• lvtwoqlt
    lvtwoqlt Member Posts: 765
    edited September 2010

Isn't ice cream on the official Hurricane supply list? you need to keep your strength up and at my house it will be eaten before the hurricane hits anyway, no need to worry about it melting.

Sheila

• Joyce-Florida
    Joyce-Florida Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2010

You're so happy that you clap and yell "Woo Hoo" after you poop like your potty training 2 year old grandson.

• Lowrider54
    Lowrider54 Member Posts: 333
    edited September 2010

squidwitch42  - OMG...pill stories - been there, done that!

...when you are setting out your pills for the day - ones to take now and ones to take with and out of habit, you swipe them all off the counter and into the hand, pop in the mouth and guzzle down the water.  After about 1/2 hour, you are wondering why you are feeling sooooo groggy and realize you took the morning dose and the rest of the week for at work dose all at once and head for the ipacac syrup as you just downed 6 xanax and 6 percocets in addition to the morning dose.  Needless to say that at treatment that day, I didn't not mention it to the onc.  I now have a little 'cup' I put them in and LOOK before I take them. 

Edited to add PS - Despite the expiry date, ipacac still works..I always had it on hand but thankfully my son never needed it - he is now 21 and I am sooo glad I had an unopened bottle that somehow was never tossed - Lord does work in mysterious ways...

• seaotter
    seaotter Member Posts: 642
    edited September 2010

....when you ask your onc (he is hindu and wears a tuban at all times) if he has any old turbans he can donate to you because his are just sooooo cute!!!!!

• Stanzie
    Stanzie Member Posts: 1,611
    edited September 2010

Sea otter, did you really?

Lowrider, I have always wondered if the stuff really works...... I still have my unopened bottle as well.

I so do that hug move not to have odd breasts hit other unsuspecting people! 

On my plumber's truck, he had a bumper sticker that said Save the Ta Ta's  - I couldn't get my nerve up to ask..... 

• seaotter
    seaotter Member Posts: 642
    edited September 2010

I did!!!! He did not give me any, lol.

• AStorm
    AStorm Member Posts: 1,393
    edited September 2010

Kittycat - i was just reading your posts from yesterday. You are actually having some fun with this -- I love that! You are an inspiration, which is just what I needed today.

• flopsy
    flopsy Member Posts: 43
    edited September 2010

You know you are a cancer patient when at onc visit, he has a newbie trainee following him around and he comes in your room to talk with you and then decides to examine your BMX surg sites to see if you are ready for rads a then you whip off your shirt and your beautiful wig and liner fly off with your shirt.  You sit there clueless and wondering why newbie is looking at you really strange and then is looking all around trying not to look at you.  You sit there and start looking to see what is wrong and realize your wig is now lying on top of your shirt and you never knew it was gone.  You start laughing and say "I did not know I had lost it all" and the newbie and you both start to crack up.  Then later she wants to know where you got your new do because she wants to recommend them to other patients.  

This has kept me laughing for the last week everytime I think about the look on her face and not having a clue about my wig.  I ask her before I left if I had it on straight as no mirror in exam room.  She said she would remember me always. 

• [Deleted User]
    edited September 2010

Oh sea otter, squid, gin2, stanzi and LR, you all have me cracking up. LR, it used to be that I took that many pills just to get 'high.' Now that I am 22 years sober i can honestly tell you that I am taking more meds that I ever thought i would at any time. i am outdoing my hippy daze!! And that is just so wrong about the onc not giving you a turban!! it must be a guy-cultural thing for Hindus, I don't think women wear turbans-hey we could do with a new craze!!

..when the entire eastern part of NC is being evacuated and your only goal is to get to the drug store this morning to get meds for the hurricane. I wonder if Earl could use a few too-i might throw one or two into the big blow expected at midnight.

....when you write all of your medical instructions on your chest (for real in majic marker) while waiting for a hurricane to arrive. Because if I get washed somewhere, I want the medics to know things like...ya' cannot use my left arm for anything. I wrote Xcer patient on my chest with arrow pointed to left arm (for real). XXOO, SV

• flopsy
    flopsy Member Posts: 43
    edited September 2010

StillVerticle,  I hope you used permanent marker or it might all wash off if you get flooded.

I hope you and yours will be safe during this storm.  I would miss your funny posts.  Send us a picture of your instructions to the EMT's.

• LadyinBama
    LadyinBama Member Posts: 993
    edited September 2010
    SV: Great idea! You are obviously a woman who has prepared for a hurricane before.
  • jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited September 2010

nothing to add at the moment, but LMAO.......

• blondiex46
    blondiex46 Member Posts: 2,726
    edited September 2010

when you are trying to figure out whether to take chemo like the last time or to forgo it...and talking to people and of course they don't understand why you wouldn't want to do it again...

Sandy

• LadyinBama
    LadyinBama Member Posts: 993
    edited September 2010

When your oncologist says "did I talk to you about possible memory loss as a side effect of chemo" and you answer " I don't remember".

• Susie123
    Susie123 Member Posts: 82
    edited September 2010

When you're afraid of turning up on the 6 oclock news because you're about to go on a wonderful vacation, but are concerned about the radioactive tracer that was just used for your bone scan and airport security. You already have 2 sacks of silicone in your chest that will show up on the full body scanner, add being radioactive, they'll be certain I'm a terrorist!

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited September 2010

...........when your favorite comfort food (mashed potatoes) no longer is your favorite comfort food because it was all you could eat when you had a mouth full of sores.

........when you wash your hands and the scent of the soap triggers chemo memories instantly.

• DebbiD
    DebbiD Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2010

THANK YOU  for the laughs my funny sisters!!

You know you're a cancer patient when you let your grandchildren touch your port-a-cath to make your voice change.

...when you're trying to fill out an address form and have to walk out to the malbox to see what number your house is.

...when you want to tell a fellow traveler about this thread and can't remember what it's called or how to find itUndecided