Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• kdrez
    kdrez Member Posts: 11
    edited August 2010

When you walk on the treadmill for two miles and do two miles on the bike, then suddenly - neuropathy decides to happen...and your feet become so numb you can't even walk....it just ain't kool, but it's life!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 709
    edited August 2010

Oh Lordy, I have the "Don't forget meds" scrawled on paper stamped to my computer and i have no idea what meds i wrote about or why. And yes, with new skin (all of mine seemed to fall off) the age spots went away for awhile, but it was like i was microwaved overnight-the joy was shortlived and the spots are back. I look like a dalmation!! And the mop on my head is just thickening, not growing longer so I look like a troll doll with black and grey hair (terrified to dye it). When you carry your pills in three plastic bags (like grocery store sized) and your at yur surgeon's and everyone else has the same med bag carry system. And KittyCat, you just cracked me up-like why go on a motorcycle if you have to wear a wig-let your freak flag fly gal!! SV

• Lynn1
    Lynn1 Member Posts: 209
    edited August 2010

when you're looking forward to the Labor Day weekend because you get Monday off and won't have to use a sick day if you feel bad after Friday's treatment.

• KimMN
    KimMN Member Posts: 10
    edited August 2010

when you're looking forward to Labor Day weekend because Monday is your scheduled day of rest in a weekly 3 weeks on/one week rest plan, so you're making fun plans that you might not have done close to chemo, only to find out due to chemo getting cancelled the week before you are now scheduled for chemo on Tuesday.

Lowrider, I hope you were able to drag your a$$ today somehow, best of luck to you on the 16th!  Every anniversary is epic!

• kac
    kac Member Posts: 43
    edited August 2010

When you're at the PS office (I guess any Dr. now) and the nurse offers you a gown and you say, nah, that's ok, I'll just pull the top down.  Her comment, well, I guess you've lost all modesty after all this. 

When your'e at the PS office and you take your bra off and don't want to put it back on cuz you're just going back home and put it in your purse in front of him.  He had a strange look on his face but didn't say anything and neither did I. 

• Ca1Ripken
    Ca1Ripken Member Posts: 829
    edited August 2010

Junie - you are right... the age spots I had on my hands and face have disappeared... that is very odd... and I'm normally very freckly also!!  Hmmmm. 

You know you are a cancer patient when you look like a cocaine addict because your nose runs so much you have 2 red lines extending from your nostrils down.... Ugh! 

.... when your brain refuses to remember that you have neuropathy, and you have now fallen up the stairs for the umteenth-million time!!!  When will I remember???

... when you have a Monday through Sunday pill box for your purse, and each DAY has been relabeled.... Oxycodone.... ativan... phenergan... zofran...  antacids.... softeners.... etc!!  It's also a handy back-up so when my bottles run out, I know I'm not really out! 

Great read ladies... keep 'em coming!!  LMAO at the crying in the bathroom.... been there.... still there!!!  Ugh!!  

• AStorm
    AStorm Member Posts: 1,393
    edited August 2010

... when the teenagers who pass through your house won't even touch your medicine cabinet

• vivvygirl
    vivvygirl Member Posts: 171
    edited August 2010

Just like KAC said.....when you are at the psychologist who asked you to describe your mx scar but you find it easier just to pull up your top! 

Was a work yesterday when a girl in the neighbouring offices was sacked due to drugs...I said wow at least you don't have to worry about me being on drugs..my boss looked at me and said Viv you are on drugs.  Yeh but they are prescribed ones!!!

• Lady_Madonna
    Lady_Madonna Member Posts: 313
    edited August 2010

When you are late for your rads appointment because you need to write back to a bco sister who REALLY needs you.

• Stanzie
    Stanzie Member Posts: 1,611
    edited August 2010

When because your main water pipe to your house breaks and you are not at all embarassed to take a bath in the back yard using a hose from the well and it doesn't even strike you as an odd thing to do till your children tell you it is weird.

• Bugs
    Bugs Member Posts: 21
    edited August 2010

When you are with a good friend who has to get her head shaved cuz her hair is falling out from chemo and you know exactly what is running through her head when your eyes meet.

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited August 2010

When you go in for a bone density scan and the tech just wants to check out your Mx scar.

• littletower
    littletower Member Posts: 44
    edited August 2010

When you have a urinary tract infection and there is NO DOUBT that it is not from fabulous, all-night, all consuming sex, but Femara:)

• Lowrider54
    Lowrider54 Member Posts: 333
    edited August 2010

...when you 'plan' your treatment for the Friday before Labor Day so you have 3 days to recover and have your 'camping' trip in the empty lot next to your neighbors house while picking up 2 of the other neighbors going with on the way down the block. 

One in each family has a health issue - we are having 3 RV's, a couple of tents, a meal tent, a huge projection TV (drive in movie), and the standard fire pit in the lot for the weekend on our camping trip.  I will be driving the fartherest - 3 houses away!   

• DesignerMom
    DesignerMom Member Posts: 730
    edited August 2010

LadyMadonna-  when you know you are going to be late for your rads appointment, but don't care because they are ALWAYS late!

Lowrider-  You rock!  I think I can see the drive-in screen from here in NYC!

Okay, all these posts about freckles and age spots disappearing have me wondering.  I think chemo knocks out melatonin, that's why we can sunburn easily.  I'm wondering if our lower melatonin and possibly Vitamin D levels are making this happen?  Just my brain rambling again.

• [Deleted User]
    edited August 2010

When you had no idea Labor Day was even coming up! XXOO, SV I am in stitches-snort snort- over these postings.

• RunnerMom
    RunnerMom Member Posts: 17
    edited August 2010

This is great!

• lorrhaw
    lorrhaw Member Posts: 17
    edited August 2010

lowrider - very funny post about your Labor Day camping "trip".  I hope you have an awesome time!

Lorraine

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,874
    edited September 2010

.....when while you're listening to someone whine about an insufficient thing that has happened to her, you start to wonder, "it this bothers her so much, what would she do if she had her breast/s removed and had to undergo doctor visits, scans, other surgeries, various treatments, mental anguish, etc., etc., etc."

• winter1NY
    winter1NY Member Posts: 20
    edited September 2010

you take a quick shower as you are late to pick up DD at tennis team practice and you notice when walking out the door (Thank God entry hall has a mirror) that there is a large wet spot under left boob (as now due to reduced feeling under "there" you can't feel the water dripping after your shower) so you remind yourself AGAIN that you must stand in front of the mirror and "lift and wipe" each boob before getting dressed to avoid "puddling" or should I say "puddlin"

Laughter is good for the soul! 

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited September 2010

Lowrider- What fun!

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited September 2010

one post is just as funny as the other.......y'all are great!!!

.........when you find yourself discussing with your friends/co-workers recon and somewhere in the discussion - some sick humor comes out and we've decided I should have pasties tattoed on in place of nipples or what looks like a bikini top so I don't have to wear a top at the beach.

.........when discussing recon with your DH and you explain that the nipples will be fake and there will be no feeling.........he gets very quite and when he finally speaks he says "then why get them if they don't work"......men!

• deborye
    deborye Member Posts: 2,441
    edited September 2010

When you have to add Calcium and Vit D to your pill box because of the SE of Arimidex and a Bone Density scan every other year.

• Lynne3times
    Lynne3times Member Posts: 13
    edited September 2010

when you realize that it wasn't the Charmin Ultra Soft but your (now gone) pubic hair that contributed to "less pieces left behind", Smile.

• [Deleted User]
    edited September 2010

OMG Lynn (truthfully happened to me) I am ROTF laughing. And when the south forty started to grow in, it only came in on one side.Worried that i be stuck with half a brazillion wax my whole life. And Jenn , hysterical if not so true-MEN. And i had a lumpectomy and my left side does not work-i cannot feel a thing and it is beginning to deflate as the breast tissue settles (sort of like a house). And my nipple is 'dead' now-can't feel a thing-oh goody. Just one more insult!! I got all dressed today for lunch with the church ladies and put on a running bra only to have one side 'lower' than the other. I only notice bec my gazillion dollar pearls are not hanging right-along with the rest of me!! A-Storm-hysterical-you are right-everyone avoids my med cabinet-love opening it and seeing such glamorous things as glyceryn suppositories and syringes for b-12 shots!

i ain't gettin' no chemo brain-I gots protection!  XXOO SV

• iodine
    iodine Member Posts: 869
    edited September 2010

Re: Nipples not working---tell your dh that they'll "work" for HIM!!!  Just not you.

• kittycat
    kittycat Member Posts: 1,155
    edited September 2010

when you are so excited to find a bra that fits your foobs (Victoria Secret Incredible bra - padded underwire - woo hoo!!!). 

when you laugh when the sales girl hands you a push up bra to try on.  So, you try it on anyway and it makes your foob orbs look even more alien like!!! 

when you're glad your foobs are round and no longer square (when you had the tissue expanders)

when you are deciding when to reveal the dark brunette wig you bought and can't wait to do makeup to match it!  Maybe I should wear it to chemo and freak out my onco tomorrow!  She'll think I'm a new patient!  LOL!

when you're havng from a hot flash at Stein Mart, but suffer through it because the Seven Jeans they have on sale fit and look good on you (and they were on sale)!!! 

when it takes you 30 seconds to do your "hair" but several minutes to do your eye makeup now with less eyebrows, lashes, dry skin, dark circles, etc...

• kittycat
    kittycat Member Posts: 1,155
    edited September 2010

Stll Verticle - oh yes, I am wearing a wig when I ride my ATV!  I just have to be careful when I pull my helmet off!  Mabe I can get one of those halo wig things and attach it to my helmet!  LOL!  I'm getting a "camping wig" so I won't care if it gets dirty.  And, I'm thinking of using a wig for my flag I use on my ATV (we ride in the dunes and you need a flag)!  LOL!!! 

• AussieSheila
    AussieSheila Member Posts: 439
    edited September 2010

.....................your whole family comes running to the bathroom after you screeched  because..............after many years, you've just changed from roll-on deo to aerosol spray and forgotten how cold that stuff is and you didn't notice when spraying under your bad arm.  Then you have to learn to spray while facing a mirror or you'll spray everything but your pit.

Sheila.

• littletower
    littletower Member Posts: 44
    edited September 2010

...you've gone organic on everything - food, make-up, hair products, nails, the works...but won't give up your Latisse (even though you look like Bambi on steroids), because the absolute kick in the gut was when you lost your eyelashes during chemo.