Connecticut Girls

Options

Comments

• kjbrown92
    kjbrown92 Member Posts: 51
    Options

Haven't checked here in a while. Dr. Zarfos did my lumpectomy and my PBMX. I liked her. No nonsense (as opposed to warm and fuzzy). Dr. Horowitz was my mother's doctor (back in the 80s). My mother thought she was wonderful.

Just went to get my nipple tattoos on Monday at Vinnie Myers in MD. I didn't want another surgery just to create projection. I feel like I've had enough.

• sweetie2040
    sweetie2040 Member Posts: 470
    Options

KJbrown-good to hear from you. Hope your feeling good and are happy with the results of everything. I understand about not wanting any more surgeries. I had four and may need yet another revision. Sigh!

• lynniea
    lynniea Member Posts: 336
    Options

Is anything going on about the AquaTurf

• sweetie2040
    Options

Lynniea-I'm going and probably taking my mom too. If we don't enough for a table we can arrange to just meet there and hope we can find a table to sit together. I'm going to grab my tickets soon.

• bunchocats
    bunchocats Member Posts: 18
    Options

CT Girls, can anyone refer me somewhere to get a wig.  My insurance covers up to $350. 00 per calendar year.  I need some place that will take the insurance for me because I don't have an extra $350.00 or $400 hanging around.  

• sweetie2040
    Options

bunchocats-check with your Dr's office, they should know or the cancer center where you are having your treatment. How is everything going with you? Did you make a decision on your treatment plan. Thinking of you and hope all is well.

• bunchocats
    Options

Sweetie2040, how are you?  I'm going in Monday for a lumpectomy.  My surgeon is very confident that she can get it all with a good cosmetic result.  She is also confident that if there are any cancer cells (or precancerous cells) the chemo will take care of it.  I need to get back to work as soon as possible because my husband is still not working (can't find a job) and I need my insurance.

How is everything going with you?  I have been thinking of you as well, but have been nelectful in my contacts because I have been busy with work and doctors appointments.  Hopefully after this week we'll have a battle plan with my treatment and we can begin to move forward.  

talk to you later.  {{{hugs}}} 

• sweetie2040
    Options

Hi Bunchocats- I just sent you an email! I'm glad you came to a decision and are getting started. I kind of knew you would choose the lumpectomy and honestly from what you've told me I think it sounds like a great decision for you. I agree that you will get a good result. I didn't know you needed chemo. Is it because of the size of the tumor? I think with the lumpectomy the recovery time will be much shorter and you can get back to work.

I'm doing good. Busy all the time. I'm thinking of a revision but won't decide until after Jan at least. For now taking a break.

You will be in my thoughts and prayers. I know everything is going to go well and your'll be fine. Big hugs. I missed you at the Aqua Turf dinner, but next year when your done with all of this we have to celebrate!!

• singlemom1
    singlemom1 Member Posts: 260
    Options

Hi All

I just finished radiation yesterday! I can't believe it! The operations, chemo and Radiation are all done!Is anyone walking on Sunday at Bushnell park? There is a survivors reception starting at 10:00. This is my first walk and am very excited to now be in a position to give back!

• sweetie2040
    Options

Singlemom-congrats on being done with all your treatment!! I didn't know anything about the walk. Who is sponsoring it and what time does it start?

• singlemom1
    Options

Thank you Sweetie! How are you? I am sorry I did not get back to you sooner! Just finished the walk a few hours ago.It was sponsored by the American Cancer Society and was specifically for breast cancer. It was  great to be part of something powerful and strong after feeling so helpless.

• mimi791
    mimi791 Member Posts: 53
    Options

Hi Bunchocats:

About the wig.  There is a great place in West Hartford called Nationwide wigs with a huge supply, private room, and they don't charge you to try.  Prices are very reasonable and they also have sleep caps and some other hair coverings because they also have many Orthodox Jewish women who shop there.  I lived in Plantville when I was diagnosed and it was one of the closest and nicest places I went to.  Best of luck with the crappiest of circumstances......this is a great place to get practical solutions to problems, the girls are the best!

Mimi

• bunchocats
    Options

Mimi791, 

thanks for the information.  I'll check them out.  

Jackie :)

• lynniea
    Options

Hi Ct ladies I am all finished now.  I had my last radiation on the Oct 14Th.  Now looking for a job for the winter.  I have a long dirty blond wig I was given It is made from real hair never used it I was one that went natural no wig for me.  If you would like it you could have it I leave in Norwich but could meet some were to give it to you.  Just a suggestion.  Are we getting together sometime soon would love to.

• sweetie2040
    Options

Lynniea-that's great. Hope you find a job soon. I need to find a permenant part time job too but waiting until next Jan. I may need one more surgery.

Hey CT girls how did you all manage during this storm? I lost power for 5 days! It was hard. Used the fireplace and went to a shelter for food and shower. Was going nuts and it just came back on. Lost phone, cell and internet too. It really makes you appreciate what you have when that power came back on. Hope everyone is ok and safe and hope you all have power restored.

• lynniea
    Options

We didn't lose power we live in Norwich and we have our own electric co.

• sweetie2040
    Options

Lynniea-Your so lucky over there. Everyone here is so fed up with CL&P. This is horrible. My son has two friend's sleeping over who both live within a few miles of me and still don't have power. About a 1/3 of my town still doesn't have it. I had to throw away all my food that I had just stocked my freezer with. I worry mostly about the older or sick ppl or children who are still dealing with this. It's just been unbelievable.

By the way I was just in Kohls yesterday and they are hiring all shifts. I know a lot of stores are going to hire holiday help. I'm not sure if there is a kohls in your area or not. Just a thought.

• bunchocats
    Options

I had my lumpectomy on 10/24 and was going to go back to work on 10/31.  I guess God had different plans for me.  The schools were closed all week, so I got an extra week to recover.  Sure, I recovered in the cold and dark but then again because it was cold and dark, I slept more and stayed huddled under the blankets relaxing more than I otherwise would have.  

We were without power until Wednesday at 4 am.  Fortunately we only lost a gallon of milk and a half gallon of half & half.  My freezer was so packed, the ice didn't even melt.  I guess it's a good thing I stocked up before I went in for my lumpectomy.  

My surgery went well, my boob is swollen, looks perky now.  Just wish the other one was just as perky LOL.  I am very relieved that the 2 nodes were negative and they got a good margine.  The tumor was actually a little smaller than was indicated from the MRI.  

I opted to do chemo even though I could have waited for the test to come through that would indicate the likelyhood of the cancer recurring.  I am scheduled for 4 treatments 3 weeks apart.  My first chemo is on the 17th of November.

My only frustration is getting a wig.  I have to try to come up with the money and then submit it to my insurance company.  My husband has been out of work for 4 years, I dont' have $300.00 hanging around.  My frustration is compounded because I found a wig I really want and went to a local place to see if they could order it (they previously told me that they would submit it to the insurance co for me), she tried to push a wig from the same company on me, then told me that it's a $450 wig but she'd only charge me $400.  I told her I didn't have the cash and she offered to give me a receipt so I could submit it to the insurance and when I got the money I could go back and buy the wig.  I told her I'd have to call my insurance first to see if there wasn't something I could do to expedite my reimbursement.  I wasn't thrilled with the wig that she had either.  I got home and did some research and the wig she was "kindly" going to sell me for $50 less than normal could be purchased for $150.00.  I would have had no problem paying her $400 for a $300 wig, she needs to make her money too, but I will not pay $400 for a $150 wig!!!  What a racket!!!

So now, I have to wait till Monday to call the insurance company (they were closed by the time I got home and was able to call them) to see if I could work something out so I could get a wig.  

I'm sure it will all work out.  

Have a great day all!  I'm off to bring my daughter to work.  

• sweetie2040
    Options

Bunchocats-good to hear your doing well. So glad you got an extra week to rest! Glad to hear you didn't lose any food too. I had my freezer packed but the food was starting to defrost and then we buried in the snow and by the time the power came on I just didn't trust it would be safe to eat it. Oh well.

It's great that they got a good margin from your surgery. Did you know that if you wanted to do something to the non cancer side to make it more even ie, a lift, the insurance would cover that.  A lot of women who had bc on one side did something on the other to make it a better match. Just something to think about. Did your Dr's order the oncotype DX test?

I'm sorry to hear your having difficulty with the wig situation. I totally agree it is not right to be overcharged for that! You can ask the cancer center where your getting treated for a referral to a reputable place. I'm sure some of the ladies on here can help you too with advice on where to go. Hang in there. This whole thing is a process but we all get there one day at a time. Keep that great attitude you have, because when your done with treatment we are going to have to celebrate!

• bunchocats
    Options

Hi Sweetie2040,

If the wig situation is my biggest problem, then I'm really happy.  It's good to know that insurance will cover matching or lifting.  Right now I'm still swollen, so it's hard to tell if there will be a difference.

My oncologist will run the oncotype DX test although he doesn't want to rely on that, nor do I.  The way he explained it was that it would identify how likely it will be for the cancer to return and if I fell on the low side I wouldn't really need chemo.  He is old school so he would rather do the chemo.  I agree especially because the size of the tumor was on the large side.  

I can't wait to celebrate when this is all over.  My father already told me he is sending tickets for me and Halee to go visit him in Florida.  Hopefully Guy will be too busy working to have time to go.   

• lynniea
    Options
    Bunchocats I have a dirty blond wig that a man gave me when I was in radiation It was his wife It is a very expensive wig if you want it it is yours pm me and let me know.
  • mimi791
    mimi791 Member Posts: 53
    Options

Hi ladies, good to hear everyone is doing well.  I actually got a new job.  I am soooooo  happy.  I am leaving a job that I have been at for 12 years for a great opportunity.  It's true that cancer does have a few positive side effects, like pushing me to do something that  I would otherwise been chicken to do!  Good luck out there in search of work.  I start at the Yale school of Medicine on 11/21 :)

xoxo

Mimi

• bunchocats
    Options

Mimi,

Congratulations on your new job!!!  I believe everything happens for a reason and you can find some good in everything.  Sometimes its real hard to find the good in some situations, but ultimately you do find it, like you getting a new job!  

good luck!

Jackie 

• lynniea
    Options

Please pray for me I need a new job to

• singlemom1
    Options

Jackie - the American cancer society gave me a free wig when I attended their feel good look better program. I heard someone say they only do this if you have insurance,but I have insurance and they gave me one.  I also got a wig at the 'essential woman' in Vernon. They charged the insurance company directly. I don't know if this was due to the kind of insurance I had but they took care of everything. I hope this is helpful.

• bunchocats
    Options

singlemom1, 

Thanks for the information.  I signed up for the look good feel better program but it was cancelled and I was suppose to be called back from another location but never heard from them.  Unfortunately all the other sessions are during the day when I am working.  I'd like to go, but I don't know if I can get out of work.  I'm going to continue trying though.  

Thanks. 

• Claire82
    Claire82 Member Posts: 490
    Options

I got my wigs from Essentials for the Special Woman in Vernon

http://www.essentialsforthespecialwoman.com/

They directly charged the insurance company - awesome place!!

Gosh - i'm 2 years out - still adjusting to my new boob - trying to make it look like the other side- but most of the time- i have to admit- it looks pretty good

my hair is so long and thick but I'm losing the chemo curl :(

I had some issues with my MRI last week - they had an awful time getting the IV in and then it blew while I was in the tube - I'm going for a re-do next week and am really scared

i requested that i be rescheduled at the hospital where they have an IV team and my chemo nurse who was awesome but because Jefferson started the MRI it would be an insurance nightmare to get approval to redo the whole thing again somewhere else

anyway - if thats my only problem im lucky

2 years out and cancer is still in my daily thoughts

I hope this finds you all well :)

• bunchocats
    Options

Well first chemo session done--UGH!!   My port moved, so it's not working properly, but the good news is that they can still give me chemo through it, they just can't draw blood from it.  I have to have an x-ray before each chemo session to make sure it hasn't moved.  

I did have some nausea Thursday night, but the meds worked fine.  I tried to work Friday---MISTAKE!!  Luckily I made it home before I collapsed.  I was able to nap for a couple of hours before I had to go in for my shot of neulasta.  

Now the body aches!!  I stayed out of work today and just called out for Tuesday and Wednesday.  I'm still sleeping and/or laying down a lot, hopefully this will pass in time for my next treatment :) 

I ended up getting my wigs from e-wigs.com.  WONDERFUL!!!  not only did I get the wig the shop wanted to charge me $400.00 for, but I got a 2nd wig (a more expensive wig) for a total of $334.00. Both wigs are Raquel Welch wigs and the quality is every bit as good as what I saw in the salons (same exact wigs in fact).  So for the inconvenience of having to borrow money from my daughter until I get the insurance money back, I have not only 1 nice wig but 2 beautiful ones!  I like long hair, so they were more expensive than the average wigs.  My insurance company will cover another $350 in January, so maybe in January I'll become a redhead and a blonde!!!   

• lynniea
    Options

I had problems with my port also they did a cath and pulled it down my also still turns over so I have to flip it around sometimes.  I am getting my hair back now but don't know what to do with it it looks like a little monkey hair on top not long enough to comb it back yet but at least I am cancer free now.

• sweetie2040
    Options

bunchocats-sorry you had a hard time with the ports and other issues. Hang in there girl. I hope you get some much needed rest and relaxation today. Good news on the wigs though. I viewed the website and there is some really nice stuff on there.

To all you lovely CT girls Happy Thanksgiving and God bless. Although it's been a long hard road we are all still here and I am thankful for that. I am thankful for all of you and your wonderful support as well. Wish you all a happy day with lots of turkey and pie of course!