Connecticut Girls

Options

Comments

• sweetie2040
    sweetie2040 Member Posts: 470
    Options

Sweetbean,

My oncologist is with HH as well. I like him very much. I'll pm you privately..

• justegan
    justegan Member Posts: 27
    Options

Hi CT ladies,

I am from a small town called Wolcott, CT  (I find that people in CT don't even know where that is haha) although I go to grad school in RI. I was recently diagnosed with DCIS and am having a BMX with immediate recon on 8-8-12. If you all arrange a get-together, I would love to possibly join as it would be great to hear stories from other women in the area. =)

• sweetie2040
    Options

Justegan-welcome to our CT thread. I know exactly where Wolcott is and have been there many times. Where do you have your surgery? How are you feeling and how did you do? Would love to get together with the CT ladies. I know I have metioned that in Oct there are always BC fundraiser dinners so it would be a good time to get together. I went to the one at the Aqua Turf last year in Southington and it was really nice. By then you will be a couple months out from your surgery and may want to go. Any questions just PM me.

• justegan
    Options
    Hi Sweetie,

I had my surgery one 8-8 at St. Mary's Hospital in Waterbury...it is where my BS and PS are affiliated. I am feeling much better now that it has been like over two weeks since the surgery. However, I am still scared as I now know I will need further treatment besidest the BMX. That's funny, my high school proms were at the Aqua Turf in Southington lol. Thanks for the info Sweetie =)

Justine <3
  • sweetie2040
    Options

Hi Justine,

Glad to hear you feeling better. I was born in St Mary's Hospital. Very good hospital and Dr's in that area. What other treatment do you need. I am on Tamoxifen for 5 years. I feel for you being so young and having to deal with this. You seem very brave and strong though and truly are an inspiration.

• justegan
    Options
    Hi Sweetie, 

Right now I am being referred for a second opinion at Dana Farber in Boston, MA before any treatment decisions get made. I also am going through the process of getting my eggs frozen within the next few weeks. I went to the fertility clinic today. I am waiting on the oncotype dx test results as well as heart scan results to determine what drugs I may need to be on (depending on whether my cancer is considered low-risk, intermediate risk, or high-risk). Right now there are a lot of things up in the air...but considering I was diagnosed a month ago tomorrow...I will say this is all progressing quickly! 

And thank you...I am trying to remain brave and strong. Today was a hard day and I broke down in the shower....but I got through it!
  • ginger48
    ginger48 Member Posts: 1,437
    Options

Justine- we are here for you whenever you need to vent or get support! Dana Farber has some great doctors and you will be in good hands!

• justegan
    Options

Ginger48,

Thank you =). Has anyone on here who may have gone to Dana Farber seen Dr. Ann Partridge? If so, you can either respond on here or PM me (up to you, of course). I just wanted to know how she is since every doctor I've seen previously have been amazing =)

• sweetie2040
    Options

Justine,

Dana Farber is excellent. I did call there and almost went there. I was looking for a Dr who did NSM and there weren't any around here. I did find out at the last minute that my Dr just started doing them so I ended up with HH. I feel for you with waiting on the test results and treatment plan. It sounds like you are in good hand though and they are being very thorough. I guess as women we deal with what we have to and that makes us strong. I understand about having bad days though, that's all part of it too. It's very hard dealing with all of this, but somehow we do it, day by day. I cried many days too and other days was strong. There's no right or wrong way to feel, just feel what you need to feel. We'll be here to support you, our CT sister.

• justegan
    Options

Sweetie,

What exactly is NSM and HH? Just trying to remain informed lol =). And thank you, I appreciate the support <3 

• sweetie2040
    Options

Justine-sorry NSM is a nipple sparring mastectomy and HH is Hartford hospital.

• justegan
    Options

Oh that make sense now that you say it lol. Duhhh =P

• vballmom
    vballmom Member Posts: 153
    Options

Just stopping in to say hi - I'm being treated at St. Francis in Hartford.  I will be looking for a PS soon - thinking of DIEP or SGAP.

• bunchocats
    bunchocats Member Posts: 18
    Options

Hello ladies! Well it's been just about a year since my diagnosis. I finished with my radiation treatments in April and have been on arimidex since. Fortunately the chemo put me into menopause, otherwise I would have had to a have a hysterectomy because I can't take tamoxifen due to a blood clot.

I went for my first mammogram since this all started. I can't believe how nervous I am still! I am just so afraid of a recurrence. I'm not aggressive and really don't want to be a pest but I really just want to call my oncologist to make sure everything is ok.

Pre diagnosis, no news was good news....is that still the same or will the doctor call me regardless?

• cathyann
    cathyann Member Posts: 122
    Options

Hello Ladies,

It was so nice to find a CT site here...

I'm from Bethel.. it's a very small town on the western part of CT.

I had a Lump. back in July and had hoped that would work, but margins weren't good,(I also have a lot of calcification too) so now I'm have a Mast of my left breast w/recon to follow.  

My surgery is Sept. 19th.  I'm really looking forward to be on the other side of this and to just getting back to being my old self. (if that's possible).

I'm not sure if I'm going with silicone or saline yet?? I've been researching both, but a times it's seem more confusing the more I research.   

I would love to go to a meet-up with everyone, maybe in Nov/Dec.?

• sweetie2040
    Options

Vballmom-There are a lot of great PS's in the Hartford area. There is a group called Hartford surgical group with several great PS who do a lot of breast reconstructions.  Did you get a referral from your BS?

Bunchocats-HI!!!! Nice to hear from you. I think about you from time to time and was wondering how you've been. Is it already a year?! Glad your doing well. I know it's nerve racking waiting for test results.  Hang in there. I'm sure it's going to be fine. Otherwise your doing pretty good? Can't believe a year has passed since we first talked.

Cathyann-Hello and welcome to the CT thread. Wish you all the best with your upcoming surgery. I am two and half years about from BMX and reconstruction. I have silicone. I think most BC reconstructions are with silicone. Your Dr can go over more specific things with you on this too. There are some really good threads on here discussing reconstruction, size and types of implants. I asked a ton of questions. I am happy with the silicone and they feel very soft.

• cathyann
    Options

Hi Ladies,

Just wanted to let all know I've had UMX and I'm finally home !  Sore but glad that's over.  The Drs and all the nurses on staff at the hospital couldn't have been any better.. they were great and I think that make's for a better/faster recovery.  I still have my drain in, but it's not too bad.  Can't wait for that to come out.  I just need to work up some strength now.  I'm just not used to sitting around... 

Cathy

• ginger48
    Options

Hi Cathy,

I am glad you are home and doing ok. I live on the other side of the state but would also like to meet up at some point. Let's see if anyone else is interested and jumps in on this discussion. 

• flash
    flash Member Posts: 129
    Options

Hi Cathy, Hi Ginger,

I'm an old timer on the board that's around if you ever want to meet.  Best seems to usually be somewhere along 84 0r 95 in mid state.  I'm also happy to meet my house if needed but I'm Western side like Cathy.  Not too many on this side, mostly mid and west.

regards

flash 

• ginger48
    Options

Hi Flash, I live in northeast ct but grew up in Fairfield county and am comfortable driving 84 and 95 if a get together occurs.

• mimi791
    mimi791 Member Posts: 53
    Options

Hi ladies!

Long time no post.  I just had my 3 year out visit with Dr. Lee after another pilgrimage to Philadelphia to see her.  The rad onc has tossed me out on my butt...one doctor down...3 to go, lol!  I see Dr. Delucia on 10/18 because I have finally decided to have the side that had the staph infection reconstructed from my lat.  Dr. Lee has had many young patients choose this option and she says they are golfing, playing tennis, skiiing etc. so I figured it's time.  I'm finally ready to see the inside of an OR again...ok, not really ready, but it's decision time and I am tired of one great foob and one chicken cutlet.  If we find a place to go party...that would be lovely!  Be well my sisters!!

• sweetie2040
    Options

Mimi-Dr. Delucia is awesome. he did my reconstruction. WIsh you all the best

• justegan
    Options
    Hi ladies, 

I hope you are all doing well. I had my first AC tx on 9-28-12. Luckily had minimal SEs over the past two weeks and I found out on Friday that my WBC count was really good. =) 
    I have my next treatment on Friday, only 3 more to go of AC then 12 of T then chemo is done! I can't wait for this crap to be done and over with. 
  • vballmom
    vballmom Member Posts: 153
    Options

justegan - I hope you continue to have minimal side effects!  25% done with AC! Woohoo! It helped me to break it up that way.  By Friday afternoon you will be half done with it.  Love your picture - you are one beautiful lady!

• CindyLooWho
    CindyLooWho Member Posts: 260
    Options

Hi

I'm in CT too.

Just got my surgery date it's 10/23. Getting a little scared.

• sweetie2040
    Options

justegan-glad to hear your doing well!

Cindy-Welcome. Where is your surgery going to be done? I understand how you feel. By the time you get to the point where the surgery is scheduled you just want to do it and move forward. Wishing you all the best.

• flash
    flash Member Posts: 129
    Options

so, does anyone want to get together?   thai food sound good?  I know of one that is right off the exit from the Merritt, on the Woodbrige, New Haven line.  Weekday?  Weekend?

• CindyLooWho
    CindyLooWho Member Posts: 260
    Options

I am using Middlesex. I am so thrilled with their cancer center and the treatment I have received thus far. They have really helped me. I think we are so lucky to be in the NE where we have access to so much.

• justegan
    Options

Vballmom,
    Thanks! By tomorrow I'll be halfway done with AC that is definitely the best way to look at it!! And thank you! =)

Sweetie,
    Thanks, I hope you are doing well too!

• cathyann
    Options

Hi Sweetie,

You mentioned that your on Tamoxifen... do you have any side effects to them?  I have to decide whether to go on them or not.

Thanks