Connecticut Girls

Options
1192021222325»

Comments

• Sparkle2014
    Sparkle2014 Member Posts: 83
    Options

Hi Ginger, how are you feeling now? did you have lumpectomy on one side? and one implant? just curious,,, hope you are feeling really much better then 4 years ago,,, i am stage 1B, IDC - rt mastectomy - approaching my 1 yr anniv. before I get implant in - waiting to get the mammo and ultrasound done on side I kept - to make sure all ok

always helps to connect with women around same stage and see how they are doing a few years out from when first you had your news...

I hope things have all calmed down for you,,, i went to Uconn - maybe you live up near storrs, for such a small state we certainly have lots towns! and lot bad weather!!!!

• ginger48
    ginger48 Member Posts: 1,437
    Options

sparkle- I am about 30 min from Storrs in a little town called Pomfret.

I am doing really well. I initially had a lumpectomy on my cancer side but after finding out I had a BRCA2+ mutation, I had a bilateral mastectomy with expanders followed by implant surgery and ovaries and tubes removed. 2011 was the year of surgery.

I am pretty active now. I teach full time and even started running this past summer. I am really trying to get healthy and keep the cancer from coming back.

Hope you are doing well too!

• jkbrca2
    jkbrca2 Member Posts: 16
    Options

sparkle, Dr Capasse is doing my PBMX in a couple of weeks. She is terrific, understanding, takes the time to understand questions. I feel comfortable with decisions I've made because she is so good. Thanks for the local info!

• singlemom1
    singlemom1 Member Posts: 260
    Options

Hi CT girls, I was on this site back in 2011 when I was diagnosed with stage 2.I am sorry to say that I am back and am at stage4. The cancer has traveled to my lung. I continue to see my original oncologist. I am in Hartford area. I have been considering looking into other doctors. Curious if anyone knows a bright and compassionate MO from Yale??
  • ginger48
    Options

Hi Singlemom- so sorry to hear of your latest diagnosis. I do not know anyone from Yale. Mine is at Mass General in Boston. I hope someone else has a suggestion.

• singlemom1
    Options

thank you Ginger48

• JuniperCat
    JuniperCat Member Posts: 392
    Options

Hello! Any CT ladies out there on this post

• ginger48
    Options

I am here. Northeast Ct.

• JuniperCat
    Options

Ginger48:Hello! I hope you're not snowed in! I'm in the northwest part of CT and we only have a few inches of snow. Be well!

• dismay15
    dismay15 Member Posts: 219
    Options

Hi Singlemom, I am very sorry about your diagnosis.

I can tell you that a Yale MO I liked is Sarah Mougalian - she may be fairly new.

BTW does anyone have a support group in CT?

• JuniperCat
    Options

Hello, Dismay15! ! I am thinking of seeking a third opinion from a MO in CT. I saw that you mentioned Sarah Mougalian. Thedrive to Yale wouldn't be too far (45 minutes). Can you please tell me if you felt confident about Dr. Mougalian? Did she spend a decent amount of time with you? Were you satisfied with her treatment suggestions? Many thanks!! Have a great weekend!-JuniperCat

• singlemom1
    Options

thank you dismay15. I would also be interested in a support group.

• Smilemaker
    Smilemaker Member Posts: 20
    Options

Hello dismay15,

There is a small support group up here in the northeast. I think that there is also one down in the New Haven area. Maybe if you goggle it,you can find one in your area.

• TinyDancer5
    TinyDancer5 Member Posts: 217
    Options

Hello, I'm in Central CT and I am being treated at The Hartford Healthcare Cancer Institute at the Hospital of Central CT. My MO is Dr. Hosmer.
    http://thocc.org/services/cancer-care/clinics-loca...

They have a Breast Cancer Support Group that meets monthly too! The next one is Feb 17th, 5:30 - 7:00.
    http://thocc.org/health-community/classes-events/e...

• dismay15
    dismay15 Member Posts: 219
    Options

Yes JuniperCat so far I am happy with my treatment at Yale and with Dr. Mougalian - I don't have much experience yet and it is a bit of a drive but so far it's been worth it...

Thank you Smilemaker (love the name) I will google the support group in the northeast as that may be the easiest for me,

Thanks also TinyDancer5 one of these groups is bound to work for me.

• Smilemaker
    Options

dismay15

The support group meets the 3rd Tuesday each month at Day Kimball Hosp. in Putnam. 7-8:30. That is the one I go to. Don't know if that is close enough for you. I work in the dental field hence the Smilemaker.

• ginger48
    Options

I go to the same support group as smile maker. Hi Jan!

Come join us if you are close enough.

• Smilemaker
    Options

hey Ginger, how are you doing? See you on the 16th

• ginger48
    Options

ThumbsUp

• sweetbean
    sweetbean Member Posts: 433
    Options

Hey ladies! Just wanted to introduce myself - I live in the SE corner of CT. Diagnosed Stage 3 in 2010. Big hugs to everyone!

• ginger48
    Options

hi sweet bean. I live in the northeast corner of ct. Although at the moment I am hanging out on a friend's boat in mystic. It is such a beautiful daydown here.

• sweetbean
    sweetbean Member Posts: 433
    Options

Oh Ginger48 - last week was glorious! Glad you got a chance to hang out on a boat in Mystic! :)

• Emelee626
    Emelee626 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi..is there anyone in CT willing to meet with or speak to my recently diagnosed Stage IV with bone mets friend and coworker? I used these threads when my mom was diagnosed 15 years ago (she's doing well) and we did get together with very nice women..I was hoping for the same experience for my friend. She is in the Torrington area...thanks! I have told her to come to this site and reach out but figured I would find out first if there are any support groups or people in her area first.

• mimi791
    mimi791 Member Posts: 53
    Options

hi:

I was just diagnosed last week after 8 years when I broke my arm. I am currently waiting on pathology because I had a radiation induced sarcoma diagnosed last year so they still need to know which cancer to treat. I would also like to know about local resources, as the sarcoma has me treating at Dana Farber until we have a plan in place. Than all of you amazing ladies for your kindness and help.

Melissa

• singlemom1
    Options

Hi, I am in the Hartford area and was diagnosed stage iv in Sept 2015 with Mets to the lungs. I am willing to offer any support I can. Living with this disease is a challenge but physically I have been doing very well. Emotionally- there are tough days but there are also good days. You can live with this disease for a long time!

• ginger48
    Options

Hello from northeast ct.I haven’t been on here recently and am just catching up now.

I don’t have experience with stage 4 and don’t know much about supports in the Torrington area but I wanted to say hello. Hopefully you are not getting buried in today’s snow.

Hopefully someone with more answers will come on.