Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

tubular carcinoma

Options

Comments

• Valentina7
    Valentina7 Member Posts: 53
    Options

no, I was not given info and my cancer was not officially diagnosed as Tubular but the report says NST with predominantly tubular components

• CAM8
    CAM8 Member Posts: 37
    Options

I everyone. I met with the RO and I have decided to do the radiation therapy. They will abbreviate it so I only need four weeks and a boost at the end. Since I’m 49 I’m right on the cusp so since I’m under 50 I have to have the extra. Val how are you doing with the rest of your rads Any rash? Peeling?I hope you’re feeling better.

• isee
    isee Member Posts: 77
    Options

Great article Brightsocks. Looks like I made the right choice with my treatment. I had surgery and rads.

Glad you decided to do the rads too Cam8.

Have a GREAT day everyone! :)

• Valentina7
    Options

hi everyone,

I finished rads last Wednesday. Peeling? Yes but not that bad . I was able to keep working and now I have a short vacation with my husband to celebrate that I finished rads!

greetings to everyone

val7

• CAM8
    Options

Congrats Valentina7! Enjoy your vacation. Are you still fatigued or does that go away quickly after you ended the rads?

CA

• Valentina7
    Options

CAM8 I feel great 😊 !

• grainne
    grainne Member Posts: 119
    Options

what a great post to read!

• CAM8
    Options

So great!! Enjoy your vacation!!!

• Valentina7
    Options

hi CAM8,

How are you doing? Did you start your rads?

my vacation was fine but I was not able to completely disconnect and forget about this cancer thing.

I saw my RO for the last time on Friday and I asked her again what does it mean: NST with predominantly tubular components and she just said: Better prognosis.. But I wonder. Does it really mean that I have tubular breast cancer? Does any one have any experience about it?

tha

• benaya
    benaya Member Posts: 36
    Options

Hi Valentina,

I'm new to this list. It appears that I have the sub-type, tubular, but they will not know if it's "pure" or mixed until the lump is removed. Since yours is "predominantly" tubular, according to your doctor, maybe it's "pure" but even if it's somewhat mixed, it has a better prognosis. Either way, the prognosis is good given the stage, grade, etc. My doctor thinks radiation may not be necessary, which I have chosen to forego either way. I may also forego hormone therapy--will be discussing it with oncologist. It's a very personal decision and a gamble I'm willing to take. I think that in some instances, early stage BC care isn't adequately individualized and as a result, some women may be over-treated. Just my opinion--based on my individual journey & the many doctor's I've spoken with--with varying opinions--that's brought me to the point I'm at today, in addition to the research I've done.

• CAM8
    Options

HI Benaya and Valentina. I agree with you Benaya. I think some docs do over treat. I opted out of tamoxifen since the benefit did not outweigh the risk. My oncologist was on board. He was however in favor of radiation treatment. I start my March 19 and will get 16 doses with five boost treatments after the 16th. He did say it will be a 20 to 25% reduction in reoccurrence. As far as the NST ( not specific type) a lot of invasive ductal carcinomas fall into this category. It looks like we are lucky to have tubular cells in our samples. My tumor was 4mm. I believe that means it is a less aggressive cell type. It is a personal decision and it does feel like a roll of the dice at times. Good luck with whatever your decide.

• benaya
    Options

Hi CAM8 & Valentina,

I tried to post a link on a recent book chapter summary on tubular but it didn't work--but if you're interested, you can do a search under "Melinda E. Sanders, MD, and tubular carcinoma" and it should come up. CAM8--Regarding your tumor being 4mm & thus a less aggressive "cell type" - not sure whether that's necessarily so. They may have just caught it earlier. My mass is 1.1 cm but still very non-aggressive. KI-67 is another measure of the aggressiveness/growth rate of the cancer.

• Liahna
    Liahna Member Posts: 2
    Options

I was diagnosed with IDC with tubular features along with DCIS 14 years ago when I was 49... I am now 63 and have never had another issue with it. My tumor was about 1 cm total and composed of both grade 1 IDC and grade 1 DCIS . Very non-aggressive with a Ki-67 of just 5% which is why I felt comfortable refusing all but a wide margin lumpectomy...had no radiation or hormonal therapy.

I don't know what percentage of "tubular features" were present but I'm assuming it was the majority since it was so non-aggressive. I definately feel that I would have been considerably over treated had I not refused the standard of care. Turns out I eventually ended up having coronary artery disease and required a stent in my heart 2 years ago so I am very, very grateful that I never allowed that left sided radiation and the risks associated with it.

• CAM8
    Options

Thank you for your post Liahna. I’m sorry about your current situation. You sound strong and braveand I’m sure you will power through. I am lucky my tumor was found early and has Tubular Components. There is not a lot of research about tubular since it is so rare but all that I have seen says it is a non-aggressive cell type no matter what the size. I am starting my radiation on Monday so I’m hoping for no side effects and that it is over quickly. Thanks!!!

• benaya
    Options

Liahna, thanks for sharing your experience & it's great to hear you had no recurrence despite refusing treatment other than surgery, but sorry about your heart. I met with oncologist the other day and he, like the surgeon, felt comfortable with going forward without sentinel node biopsy or radiation (which I wouldn't do anyway). He did recommend trying the hormone therapy which I could stop if I couldn't tolerate the side effects. Not sure if I'll do the hormone therapy though. Appears as if the cancer is "pure" tubular. Again, it's a little disconcerting how many doctors may fail to distinguish this subtype from other invasive types and in some cases, overtreat. It's important that we get second opinions and do research ourselves if we're able so we can pose necessary questions about subtype, treatment, etc.. I should add that the first surgeon I saw made no mention of the tubular aspect and would have treated me as she would have with typical invasive ductal. Also, the margins she would have cut for lumpectomy were wider (unnecessarily so) than other surgeons, so there are major differences in approaches that we need to be aware of. My intuition told me I needed to get other opinions and I'm so happy I did.

• CAM8
    Options

HI everyone. Hope all is well with all of you! I have had 5 rads with only 16 to go. Lol. Benaya, have you had your surgery yet? Has anyone had chills while undergoing rads? I’ve read a couple of articles that say this may be a side effect. Take care everyone!

• Valentina7
    Options

hi CAM8,

how are you feeling? I was working normally during rads. I had in total 27.. But in the middle I felt a bit sick...my WBC were also very low: 2.1 and my doctor was worried...but it was only a couple of days. In my case I was taking already Tamoxifen during rads and my doctor was not sure if those were SE from rads or Tamoxifen..it was not smart to have those at the same time. Anyways as I said it was only a couple of days ...i was able to work and do everything as normal.

will you also take Tamoxifen?

take care and wishing you all the best 😊

• CAM8
    Options

Thanks for the reply Valentina. I’m not taking tamoxifen. Are you still on it? I will have 21 rads total. I’m just feeling worn down which is normal while going through this. I’m glad you only felt sick for a few days. Thanks again!

• Valentina7
    Options

CAM8, I am planning on taking Tamoxifen for 5 years ...so far so good...

• Valentina7
    Options

CAM8, how are you feeling? Did you finish rads?

• CAM8
    Options

Hi! 12 rads down 11 to go. Doing ok. Starting to burn a little bit and a little tired. Just a weird sluggish feeling. How are you?

• isee
    isee Member Posts: 77
    Options

Hopefully you found a cream that works well for you CAM8. I swear by Glaxal Base. Just slather it all over the radiated area. Here's to a speedy completion of your treatment! :)

• Valentina7
    Options

CAM8 soon this will be only past 😊. I feel great physically really great. I started also to eat better and exercise more. I don't know what exactly is making feel that well but i am doing very well.

• benaya
    Options

Hi CAM8,

Glad to hear you're handling radiation okay other than some mild fatigue. I'm having a lumpectomy (left) on Tuesday, with no sentinel node removal. As stated before, I'm not going to undergo radiation either and will probably decline hormone treatment as well. I will also have a very small mass removed in right breast at the same time which is an "atypical vascular proliferation" which is very rare and needs needs further analysis to rule out another type of cancer, angiosarcoma. Either way, I'm not worried about it since it's small and contained---but since it's so rare, everyone's kind of curious about it.

I am a little nervous about the surgery, in general---hope it goes well. I've heard the wire-guided procedure may or may not be really uncomfortable--I guess everyone's had different experiences. Also hope there's not too much discomfort and recovery time afterwards--doctor doesn't think so.

• CAM8
    Options

Hi Benaya. I’ll be thinking of you on Tues. The wires were not too bad. It just looked strange. I think it’s protocol that you get a mamm after the wires are in to make sure they are in the correct place. No pain though. They numb you up really well. Keep us posted. You’ll be back on your feet in no time!!!

Cam

• CAM8
    Options

Hi Valentina. So happy to hear you are feeling good. I will be happy when this is over!

Cam

• CAM8
    Options

Thanks isee. I will look for that. The doc and nurses highly recommends Calendula. Working pretty good so far.

Cam.

• Valentina7
    Options

hi Benaya,

I wish you all the best for the surgery!

• grainne
    grainne Member Posts: 119
    Options

CAM8, Val and Benaya; just wondering how you are all doing?

• CAM8
    Options

Hi. Doing well thanks. 5 rads to go. Have a burn and a little rash but not too bad Valentina how are you feeling? Benaya how did your surgery go last Tuesday?