Western New York Area

Comments

• karen333
    karen333 Member Posts: 2,037
    edited February 2015

you may make it to big sh^t, let it just be said they wouldn't give me an application and I don't do mornings. I have a migraine threatening, here's hoping I don't need Imitrix. Will call you Maureen if it hits, love, Karen

• karen333
    edited February 2015

It hit, lunch is in March, my nickname fits.

• Maureen813
    Maureen813 Member Posts: 1,826
    edited February 2015

hope things are improving sweetie. If not, off to the ER for you. Call me if you need anything.

Guess what? It snowed today and there's a wind chill warning. I'm getting seriously depressed. Even upping my vitamin D and B12 isn't helping. It's so bad hubby wants to take me shopping tomorrow. That's scary when he thinks I'm nuts. Iris is so cold she just sits on my lap.

Watching chopped because I can't sleep. I fell asleep after dinner again and I can't sleep. This retired stuff really messed up my routine.

• MagicalBean
    MagicalBean Member Posts: 192
    edited February 2015

I know what you mean about retirement and sleeping. I go to bed about 10,wide awake at 3:30, ready to go back to sleep around 7. I can't get a grip on being able to do what I want when I want. Sad, huh?

Keep warm everyone. looks like we're being teased with a 28 today (balmy) and back into the deep freeze tonight.

• Maureen813
    edited February 2015

posted on Facebook for lunch. If you're not a member of the private site just text me and I will provide info

• ankledolphin
    ankledolphin Member Posts: 21
    edited March 2015

Hi..just wanted to say hi. I just joined the website the other week and just still searching things out. I go on monday (to roswell) to schedule my surgery date and have all my pre-op stuff as well.

• MagicalBean
    edited March 2015

Hi ankledolphin, welcome to the group. These ladies are wonderful-you'll really like them. Where are you in WNY? I'm in Wellsville.

Good luck Monday. I'll be thinking of you while I'm at EWBC for my 6 month follow-up. Let us know what you find out at your appointment.

• ankledolphin
    edited March 2015

I'm in Attica...work in batavia

• MagicalBean
    edited March 2015

You'll get to know Karen-she's in Batavia. We also have a fun FaceBook group called WNY Breast Cancer Sister Circle. Feel free to join there as well. The group gets together for lunch every few months-actually the next one is this Saturday in Williamsville. I haven't been to one yet but there is a rumor that it includes Godiva chocolate martinis. I am planning to be there for this one.

• karen333
    edited March 2015

Hi ankledolphin, I'm Karen, I live in Batavia, where do you work, we can get together for coffee. Will be thinking of you on Monday. This month we are meeting in Williamsville next Saturday for lunch, about every 6 weeks the girls all drive down here to Batavia and we go to Alex's for the aforementioned Godiva Chocolate martinis, just 1, and food of course. Welcome to the group, Karen

• ankledolphin
    edited March 2015

love alex's! had that for lunch on friday...take out! will pm you with where i work....not everyone knows just yet and dont want it fully out there yet!

• karen333
    edited March 2015

my favorite for ribs also, look forward to meeting you.

• Maureen813
    edited March 2015

hi ankle dolphin and welcome to WNY thread. Nice that you can plan on meeting karen for coffee. She's a peach. Many thoughts will be with you on Monday. Good luck with scheduling et all. I know it seems overwhelming right now but things will get better with time. Looking forward to meeting you

Maureen

• MagicalBean
    edited March 2015

Hot Pissy Shamrock here

• bevin
    bevin Member Posts: 519
    edited March 2015

HI Ankledophin...

welcome to our group. I'm sorry and glad you found us. Good luck on Monday. Keep us posted .

• ankledolphin
    edited March 2015

so not sure what to think at the moment.

I had a doc appointment today in which I believed I would meet with surgeon..make decisions...meet with plastic surgeon just in case...then have preo-op stuff done.

WRONG

Meeting with surgeon...in which she wasn't happy that my original appointment got pushed to a week later....but with all the tests I had in January, and the fact my brca testing was negative, and I decided on doing a lumpectomy because of those test...it was decided with the type of tumor it is, Chemo is in order first.

Yep, you read that correctly. I am have chemo first and now I am waiting for a call to meet with the medical oncologist t schedule port placement, blood work and then chemo. So...from what I understand:

Herceptin for 12 months

Chemo for 4-6 months then a lumpectomy to remove what is left since the goal is to shrink this sucker to nothing....but still test lymph nodes and remove small amount of tissue.

Radiation for 6 weeks - every day

And then hope there is no more cancer.....but remember herceptin for the full 12 months.

so for all I know I could start on Wednesday!!

• Maureen813
    edited March 2015

Chemo first is pretty standard for some tumor types. How large is the tumor? The sooner you get started the sooner its over. I will be at Roswell on the 26th for a follow up. Port placement is an outpatient surgery they will give you drugs so you don't feel anything. I slept through it. They can use the port right away that you will really grow to appreciate so they aren't poking you all the time. I slept through chemo too. Glad to hear the plan is in place. Honestly the first chemo is the worst because you are nervous. I was scared but it really is doable.

• karen333
    edited March 2015

Wow that's a lot to process at one time, Maureen had chemo first I believe, I'll give her a ring to PM you, I'm nursing a migraine and can get you better help this way, don't falter, we got you, hugs, Karen

• bevin
    edited March 2015

HI Ankledolphin, I have read they often prescribe chemo first especially in cases where the tumor is larger and the hope is to shrink it enough to provide options for surgery.  You're in a good place but you can always get a second opinion (even with Rosewell) to be sure you're comfortable with the plan they present you.

Wishing you the best

B

• ankledolphin
    edited March 2015

thanks!

karen- hope the headache goes away....i hate them!

bevin- Im not really sure on the size...one of the docs said it looks like a 1.2 x 1.3x 2.9! it all depends on the angle of the one scan that I had done at a different hospital as I havent had anything done at roswell except genetic testing...they are going by all the scans/biopsy in january.

to me at the end of the day in a bra, its sore and larger, and it seems sore still since it was poked and squeezed by two docs today!

my new thought process on this to fully be on board with this and to get "cured" as soon as possible since that is what my doctor has said...we are going for a cure on this....

chemo- at least 4 months since I need to go with the shortest time frame! april, may, june, july.

surgery in august

radiation august-september

daughter in kindergarten in september with a mommy whose boob boo-boo is almost better

• Maureen813
    edited March 2015

I agree with Bevin. You can go for a second opinion anywhere. The hers+ is good in this case because ER pr negative rules out antihormonals. Herceptin is a wonder drug for your type of cancer. Let them treat aggressively to go for the cure. I know how overwhelming this feels right now just take a deep breath and try to relax. Easier said than done. big cyber hugs

Maureen

• Maureen813
    edited March 2015

quiet here lately. How is everyone

• MagicalBean
    edited March 2015

Hi Maureen. Yes it is quiet. I'm fine, waiting for spring-still. We're getting our upstairs bathroom remodeled. My Dad started it in 1962, died in 1970 (he still hadn't finished it). I moved back home with my Mom in 2007 and was told I could do anything I wanted to in the house but couldn't touch the bathroom "because your father just redid it". Mom died in 2008, my sister moved in with me in 2010. And finally it's happening.

How have you been ? Can't wait to meet all of you. Have a fabulous day.

• bevin
    edited May 2015

I hope everyone is well. I don't go on facebook often and realize most everyone chats there now. Hope everyone is enjoying the warm weather.

Maureen - continued prayers for you

• Maureen813
    edited May 2015

thanks Bev. Hope you are well. We enjoyed ham when my daughter was here for a visit. It was delicious with no leftovers.

Update on me: tumor markers have dropped and liver enZymes on the way down. Both good news. May 19th is next check of the brain and hoping nothing is there.

Anyone in the pool yet?

• bevin
    edited May 2015

Hi Maureen

I'm so happy for you. That's wonderful news and sounds promising. Praying the brain is clear too! or at least nothing new and stable.

Yes pool has been in use. My daughter doesn't wait long and we do heat it.

BTW - I work all day and recall you're retired. Please , please feel free to come over and use the pool. No one is here all day and you are welcome to come w hubby or all alone. Gate is open, just walk on back!! We'll give you an official pool pass :)

Hope to see you soon and I hope that you have a wonderful Mothers Day.

• Maureen813
    edited May 2015

what a wonderful offer. Thank you bev. I hope your Mother's Day is wonderful filled with great memories

• Maureen813
    edited May 2015

posted lunch info on fb website. It's a member only so if you don't have access just send me a pm and I will send info

Hope all is well and look forward to seeing everyone.

We are having quite the storm so signing off.

• Maureen813
    edited May 2015

wow what a rainstorm. It blew over many things from our deck. Today was perfect weather for working in the yard. I thought about it then spent my afternoon at the DMV for my son. Three hours later he owese chocolate Good night

• bevin
    edited May 2015

Maureen.. dmv is not a fun place. I know the storm was hard. we have all sorts of crap in the pool and with it being so cold I haven't been in the mood to skim it out. Of course the lovely dog was shaking and scared too. 

B