Western New York Area

Comments

• MagicalBean
    MagicalBean Member Posts: 192
    edited November 2014

Hi all,

I just stumbled across your group. I live in Wellsville, which is in Allegany County. My sister and I are living in our childhood home with 6 geriatric dogs and 6 cats. Yes-we are pretty much nuts.

I have DCIS grade 3, diagnosed at age 66. Lumpectomy was done at Rochester General, and I just started week 4 of RADS in Hornell. So far so good. It's nice to be able to connect with "locals".

Keep warm..

• karen333
    karen333 Member Posts: 2,037
    edited November 2014

Magical Bean, I had my lumpectomy at Rochester General also, my surgeon was Dr. Joel Yellin, loved him. Rads really tired me out, especially in the last 2 weeks. We are all pet people here, I have 2 rescue cats, just lost my oldest, Emma to cancer, the cats grieved for her too. Sorry to meet you under these circumstances but welcome to the group. I live in Batavia, halfway between Buffalo and Rochester and unfortunately this week at the eastern edge of the Lake Effect Band, waiting to see if we get hit again as the band drops back down to snow country.

• MagicalBean
    edited November 2014

Hi Karen333

What a coincidence. Dr Yellin is my surgeon too. He is fabulous. When I started RADS in Hornell, the techs, my RO, and my MO were all oohing and aahing over my scar. The MO said she knew Dr Yellin had done the SX just by the way it looked. I see him Monday for a follow-up and can't wait to tell him about the commotion he caused.

We have two rescue dogs (lab and a Lhasa) 4 pompoos, and 6 rescue cats. I also had a Whippet who passed from cancer last year. Miss her a lot still.

I hope your weather doesn't get too bad. We've been fine down here, but my nephew has been in the middle of the mess-he lives on the border of Cheektowaga and West Seneca. Nasty business.

Take care

• kindone
    kindone Member Posts: 435
    edited November 2014

Welcome Magicalbean, I hope you you'll join our great group, Well I am at Mercy right now, they came and picked me up at the corner of my street. I will stay here until tomarrow night at eleven. Monday night it took me two hours to get home from Hamburg, it was the worst drive I every drove and in the middle of a whiteout my windshield wrappers froze and won' t work. I followed Andys tail lights home. Safe at Mercy my house is Barried and my street has 6 feet of snow in the middle of it. Andys home with buster, he don't know where to go pee

Bawling Hope everyone is safe. Love Betty

• janhart
    janhart Member Posts: 292
    edited November 2014

I was just checking in to see if anyone has heard from Betty. Thanks for letting us know you're ok.

• Maureen813
    Maureen813 Member Posts: 1,826
    edited November 2014

Boy we will have many stories for next luncheon !!

Betty when are you off a weekend or did you and jan already discuss? Do we have a date?

• bevin
    bevin Member Posts: 519
    edited November 2014

Betty so happy to hear you are safe. That drive sounds awful. Im so glad you were not stuck on highway and that you made it home. Thank you for going to work and helping all the folks at Mercy. They are lycky to have such a dedicated nurse on stagg!

• SeasideMemories
    SeasideMemories Member Posts: 2,462
    edited November 2014

Karen,

The snow in Batavia made our local news here! I hope you are safe, warm and riding out the storm. The photos and videos coming out of Buffalo and surrounding areas almost defy belief. My thoughts and prayers are with all that have been in the path of this storm!

• karen333
    edited November 2014

Dear Seaside, one weathercaster said we had a full winter season of snow in a day and a half, Batavia was at the eastern edge of the lake effect band so we only got about 4 feet. Two of Addison's buddies stayed here and dug us out, car, stairs and sidewalk the evening of day 2, Our landlord plowed our driveway and our neighbor the front sidewalk about the same time, truly good neighbors and a super landlord. The boys cost me a large pizza which they demolished when the plow got to our street. Batavia is a small city with a good compliment of snow removal equipment. It's pretty dramatic when you can't see the house across the street, we shopped beforehand and were all safe, cozy and warm. The Bills got to the airport to fly to Detroit on snowmobiles, it rivaled the Blizzard of 1977. Weekend weather is supposed to be 40, 50 and then 60 on Monday, crazy weather. I learned a valuable lesson: don't let your bottle of generic Kahlua fall to 1/4 of a bottle!!!

• SeasideMemories
    SeasideMemories Member Posts: 2,462
    edited November 2014

Karen,

Only in upstate NY and WNY in particular is the word 'only' followed by the words 'got 4 feet' and that meaning you got off easy..lol!

No matter what people who are not from here think about people fom NY, when push comes to shove we have good hearts and help our neighbors in need!

Ohhhhh, and big lesson learned!! In addition to the can't live without the big 3 of bread, milk and TP (preferably Scott's with no cardboard tube...lol!) we must be stocked with our beverage of choice! If for no other reason than we are about to be shut in for who knows how long with people that we love but can sometimes drive us crazy! The movie "The Shining" comes to mind...lol!

DH and his parents were stuck on the Canadian side during the '77 blizzard. They were in Montreal for a Sabres game and heading back when they closed the Peace Bridge. They managed to get a room at the Sheraton Brock in Niagara Falls and the falls were totally frozen! Was a couple days before they could head home!

• Maureen813
    edited November 2014

Happy Thanksgiving

I just wanted to say enjoy your loved ones and have a wonderful day.

I am thankful for so many things: my family, the amazing friends I've made on this site, the wise advice of all my friends, my oncologist and staff.

Love

Maureen

• karen333
    edited November 2014

To all of you, I could bot have said it better Maureen, love to all of you, Karen

• janhart
    edited November 2014

Wishing you all a wonderful Thanksging with your families. Thankful for the friendships I've made here.....you are all very special. Now I gotta get up off my butt and start some baking and cooking. This turkey ain't gonna roast itself. See you all soon.....Love, Jan

• MagicalBean
    edited November 2014

Happy Thanksgiving all. I hope you all have a wonderful day.

• Maureen813
    edited December 2014

Hi everyone

Hope everyone had a wonderful thanksgiving. We went to my sisters house and I ate well with all the trimmings. Of course I had to make cranberry sauce and green bean cassarole. I like homemade cranberry sauce as it beats the canned garbage. My sister sent over leftovers and it fed all of is for two days lol I must admit I'm relieved November is behind us as the whole month stunk. Except thanksgiving. I have tree and house decorated for Christmas but must admit I overdid trying to get everything done and on chemo. Having really nasty se from this chemo and putting a damper on keeping up with the holiday hustle. I've completed NO shopping for gifts as having real trouble with my feet so bad I spent the day on the couch today and living on pedialyte. End of the cycle so hopefully kick myself in the butt and make progress. Thinking this months lunch will be in January hoping it works for everyone. Sending the boys grocery shopping with a list hopefully everything on the list comes home. Dh is pretty good but things "jump" into the cart 😃. Hope everyone is well and just busy.

Love

Mau

• Maureen813
    edited December 2014

Welcome magic bean. Hope you can join one of our lunches. Would love to meet you in person. We have one chocolate martini at lunch. And lunch of course hehehe. How did you fair during our infamous snow storm? We only had 9.5 inches of snow my way.

• MagicalBean
    edited December 2014

Hi Maureen, Thanks for the welcome. I would love to do a lunch with you all. weather permitting. We got NO snow during the adventure. I'm 6 miles from the PA border so we get little lake-effect. But my nephew was in the midst of it. He lives in Kaisertown and had about 8 feet by the time it was over. I love the snow but that was a bit much even for me.

It's cold and rainy here today. I went to our local SPCA cookie sale this am and am now snuggled under a blanket, watching TV and working on a baby quilt.

Keep warm and safe everyone.

• Maureen813
    edited December 2014

under a quilt with cookies. Sounds like a little bit of heaven. I'd love to learn to sew. Knew how to do needlepoint years ago and made a quilt for first child in the family. Glad to hear you missed the storm. My son was out plowing with a friend for 27 hours. He kept telling me it looked like the apocalypse.

• karen333
    edited December 2014

Hi Maureen, hi Bean, oh happy day, a little more snow, Batavia got about 4 feet last storm. Trip out tomorrow for necessities, lol, this time I won;t forget the generic chocolate liquor for comfy coffee watching it snow. Bean, we never venture out in bad weather, too many of us are just fair weather drivers. Everybody stay warm and safe, see you all in the New Year, miss you all, love, Karen

• janhart
    edited December 2014

Hi, hope everyone is well here. Looks like January it will be for lunch. I'm working a bunch more hours at the mall than I wanted. Someone doesn't show, he calls me. I was off yesterday and today and I told him don't call cuz I'm not answering. Anyway back to work tomorrow. Off on Thursday and suppose to go to my moms but the weather forecast sounds like snow is coming. Haven't gotten much shopping done. My backs been bothering me off and on and it seemed pretty good until today. I have a feeling it's a disk issue. Maureen, Nora said she saw you last week and said you looked good. How are you feeling? Keep warm everyone, keep safe. Miss you all. Love Jan

• Maureen813
    edited December 2014

Jan

I did see Nora on thurs and after I left the doc all hell broke loose. I'm still really trying to get back on track. I have too much to do these next couple of weeks!!

Shout out for everyone?

• bevin
    bevin Member Posts: 519
    edited December 2014

HI everyone

Sorry I have been so absent. I think of you all each day. I was without a personal computer for a bit as mine broke. Finally purchased a new one. Hate spending money unnecessarily.  Mine was damaged by members of my family who are not as careful about things.. UGH. Anyway We were away for the Thanksgiving holiday and took some much needed time away from work. I have just started shopping and find it hard to get in the spirit without the snow. I hear it is coming though again over the next few days :)  Im also finding it hard to buy for the teenage years. The cost per gift certainly increases.... UGH.

Looking forward to lunch in January. Hopefully mid month as I am not available the last week of January.

Praying everyone is well.

• Kb33
    Kb33 Member Posts: 33
    edited December 2014

glad to hear you all had a nice thanksgiving and looking forward to holidays. I leave today for stage 2 surgery in NOLA. Sure wishing this was all over. Praying next time I look down at these girls... They will look normal and be on the mend. Sigh. Happy thoughts for everyone.

• Maureen813
    edited December 2014

Hi kb. Glad to hear you are getting close to the end. Please keep us updated we are all with you in spirit.

Hey Bev. Missed you and hoping things are great. We can shoot for mid January just need to hear from Kindone concerning schedule

Chemo week off so running around like a mad woman and getting nothing done lol. Finally got my rug on the stairs clean. It took me THREE times but they are clean. As I finished the rug, the phone rang and it was dh friend who was the best man at our wedding. Surprise!! He was in town and in our driveway. Haven't seen him in 20 years. Not sure who was more surprised us or him lol. Great to see him

Kindone. What's your schedule in January?

• karen333
    edited December 2014

Hi all, cannot believe another year is coming around and we all remain good friends waiting to see each other, the Bills losing and snow coming. Man Maureen you worked those stairs!! Bet there were tears when the door opened to your best man, that's the best part of the Christmas season. Like you and bevin, I put off my Christmas buying except for my WNY girls, you were bought for in Nov/. just a little something. Love to all, Karen

• Maureen813
    edited December 2014

many tears karen. He married 6 months prior to our wedding and Bruce was his best man. They both traveled for business only he moved his family from state to state. I'd wait for the Christmas card to come so I could mail a card back to them. It was quite the treat. I wish his wife came with him.

• kindone
    kindone Member Posts: 435
    edited December 2014

Hello Ladies, I can't wait to see everyone. I will let you know what weekend on off. So good to here from you all, I am working a lot. No shopping done yet! I still have time. This weekend the kids will sleep over and we will make cookies. I can't wait they will sleep over and I will love them to death. They sleep over the night before Thanksgiving and we made pies. They are so good like that. Sometimes I think that the only reason I live for them, and work. We will also get our tree this weekend.

Last week I went to Lancaster opera house for a Christmas play with the people from work, it was great, funny and had a good meal. Tomorrow my sister and I are going to Kliehans (sp) music hall to her the BFH and Celtic Thunder. I am so glad about that b/c all I do is work and wanted to see them for every. That's it in a nut shell. I miss you all fell free to call me anytime.

Sue where are you?

Love Betty

Happy

• Maureen813
    edited December 2014

hi Kindone good to hear from you

SNOW!!!! Need I say mor

• karen333
    edited December 2014

you got it it this time!

• karen333
    edited December 2014

Trees up, Mica will decorate top later, I am past my chair climbing days, so many ornaments with memories.