Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stitching the pieces together

Options

Comments

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited February 2011
    Options

Gorgeous crocheting...and a lost art, too. Have you ladies considerd framing some of the pieces for posterity's sake? It wouldn't be that expensive and then you've got some amazing art, too!

• dragonflymary
    dragonflymary Member Posts: 325
    edited February 2011
    Options

Hello to all quilters/crafties.  I was told about this thread by Chrissyb and am totally new to it.  Diagnosed July 2010 with DCIS and LCIS.  DCIS was multifocal and high grade, and I couldn't take Tamox so opted for the BMX with reconstruction.  I  am now 6 mos. out from the surgery and had my exchange in Dec.  My implants are a bit assymetrical but my current concern is a lump I found over the left one.  It's the "pea sized" they talk about, so I scheduled an appt. for Tues. with BS.  Hoping it's just a stitch granuloma.

The real reason I'm on this thread is that I'm a quilter/knitter/embroidery person.  I've been sewing all my life and made all my own clothes from about 12 on, however just got seriously into quilting 5 years ago.  Our class was so friendly we formed a group called SewNSews.  Not very original, be we are!!  I've made about 8 quilts since then. My current project is a block of the month called Back to Nature.  I started it a year ago and during that year had the cancer and the surgeries, so it now has great significance.  I'm almost finished with it.  Over the last few days I've made 216 flying geese!!  It looks like winged migration over here.  Will post a picture of it when it's close to completion.  I also make purses and sell them at shops, and knit lace.  Currently I find that, even though my exchange surgery was 3 months ago, my back gets tired after a couple of hours and I have to rest.  I have some "rest" projects that I can do horizontal, like knitting.  Anxious to hear about everyone's quilts/projects.  Today I'm quilting to get my mind off upcoming Dr. appt.  Hi to all!! 

• veggy
    veggy Member Posts: 4,150
    edited February 2011
    Options

Hello Dragonflymary- I'm new here too. Can't wait to see some of our projects. I envy the women here who can quilt. Their work is absolutley stunning. 

Barb - I have crocheted some name filet crochet doilies for friends and they have had them framed. They are beautiful when they are framed.

I have been so sick the last couple of days that I haven't done any crocheting.  My husband had to help me make chicken soup last night. I don't have any strength.

• lvtwoqlt
    lvtwoqlt Member Posts: 765
    edited February 2011
    Options

Welcome DragonflyMary. I am also a quilter. I had 2 dx of ADH 2 years prior to my dx of DCIS. I tried tamox for 6 months and had horrible se's from the meds. I realized that whenever I tried to alter my hormone levels, my body didn't like it. I too opted for bilat mast just so I wouldn't need to take any more tamox.

When I was going through my surgeries I had some hand quilting wall hangings that I worked on. I didn't use a large frame, only a hoop to hold the quilts.

Sheila 

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618
    edited February 2011
    Options

In trying to clean out the garage (I moved 4 times in 3 years and had boxes which never got unpacked) i ran across a scarf I had been crocheting.  It still have some eyelash yarn so I will finish it.  I also found a whole skein of chenille yarn that went with a scarf I made some years ago.  I don't wear the scarf because I thought it was too small, so I am adding to it.  That will get two projects completed and a little less stuff in boxes.

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545
    edited February 2011
    Options
    dragonflymary & veggy - Welcome to the group.  We would love to see some of your projects.  Could you post a picture or two?
  • veggy
    edited February 2011
    Options

jo1955- I posted 4 of my projects on the last page, page 8.

• dragonflymary
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Okay, here's my first try at uploading stuff!  The dog, who thinks he owns all quilts, is named Ozzy.  Dragonflymary2775     ...and it didn't work...
  • dragonflymary
    edited February 2011
    Options
    IMG_2774" mce_src="IMG_2774" alt="Moving On (with Ozzy)" border="" hspace="" vspace="" width="" height="" align="" />
  • veggy
    edited February 2011
    Options

Beautiful work. I want to learn how to quilt!!!!

• dragonflymary
    edited February 2011
    Options

Nine patch and stars (or, a million tiny pieces!!)

IMG_2775" mce_src="IMG_2775" alt="" border="" hspace="" vspace="" width="" height="" align="bottom" />

• dragonflymary
    edited February 2011
    Options

Sorry, both these got in there twice--not sure why.  I spend more time quilting than computing!!!  Okay, I'm prejudiced, but isn't that the cutest dog you've ever seen?  Sorry, I just had to do that...

• dragonflymary
    edited February 2011
    Options

Veggy, if you can, take a class.  There are a lot of us from our class who've had health problems but we just work around it.  Hugs, Dragon

• veggy
    edited February 2011
    Options

I've checked and there is nothing in my area. :(

• jo1955
    edited February 2011
    Options

dragonflymary - Beautiful work.  That must have taken you a long time to do.

• dragonflymary
    edited February 2011
    Options

The nine patch and stars took about 9 months!  The other one was pretty fast.  Having some difficulty finishing my current quilt as my back is sort of weak.  Not sure if that's part of BMX or what, but I'm moving forward anyway!  Veggy, look for videos re:  quilting.  I've learned a lot from those and they kind of start at the beginning so you don't have to be an expert to benefit from it! Dragon

• veggy
    edited February 2011
    Options

I didn't think about videos. thanks.

• barbe1958
    edited February 2011
    Options

Pennsylvania is almost the birth place of quilting!!!! Seriously!! There should be tons there for you. Check it out on Google.

I am self-taught.....so when I REALLY find out how to do something, it is SO much easier! LOL

• Meece
    edited February 2011
    Options

Me. too, barbe.

I can't see the p[ic with the dog, but the nine-patch and stars is terrific!!!

• dragonflymary
    edited February 2011
    Options

Veggy, I just looked at your crochet!!  It is gorgeous.  It's so wonderful to see people reviving this kind of crochet.  I found an old crochet book that has some of these kind of patterns but haven't had the nerve to try it!  These are really treasures.  Do you have a horse?  I really love horses but they give me asthma!

• veggy
    edited February 2011
    Options

I don't have a horse. My son was going to therapeutic riding lessons. I fell in love with horses at the stable. Unfortunately the funding for it was cancelled.Frown

I just googled quilting classes in my area and found a couple. I might join one in the spring. 

• Meece
    edited February 2011
    Options

I think you'll do great, veggy.

• barbe1958
    edited February 2011
    Options

You'll have a blast! And you get inspired with the way other people put colours and patterns together. That's why I loved my quilt store!!

• dragonflymary
    edited February 2011
    Options

Veggy, it's so fun to get involved with a store.  The one I go to does charity quilts for premature babies.  We have a close knit group; they were very supporting during my surgery.  Starting a new block of the month this weekend.  Will post my "cancer quilt" whenever I get it together.  Dragon

• veggy
    edited February 2011
    Options

Thanks everyone! I googled quilting class and found a couple about 25 minutes away. I'll do some calling on Monday and find out more.

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited February 2011
    Options

YaY Dragon!!   You found us!!!   Oooo I just love your Star Quilt it's beautiful and sooo many pieces!!!  Can't wait to see more of your work.

Love n hugs.  Chrissyb

• lvtwoqlt
    lvtwoqlt Member Posts: 765
    edited February 2011
    Options

Veggy, you will have fun if you get into an active guild. I have been a member of an active quilt guild for about 5 years now. We meet once a week (if you can make it), and have two other days a month we open up the room for an old fashioned sew bee day. The quilt guild is my therapy sessions. My guild dues are 25 a year, best money I spend every year. Women in my guild have taught new quilters who join the basics and when we have any problems we have a time for 'show and ask' where we invite anyone to help solve the problem we have encountered. 

I just googled quilt guild pennsylvania and came up with a list of registered quilt guilds in PA. Maybe you can find one in your area to attend. www.quiltguilds.com/pennsylvania.htm   

• barbe1958
    edited February 2011
    Options

I LOVED the sew and tell portion of the guild!!! I just LOVE seeing other people's creativity!! I've never seen a quilt I didn't like for some reason or other.

• veggy
    edited February 2011
    Options

I sent an email to one of the quilt guilds in my area. I am waiting for a response. I would love to learn to make a baby blanket. My cousin is expecting her first child in three months. Thanks everyone for helping.

FrownI just got my email returned. Must be an old listing. 

• jo1955
    edited February 2011
    Options

Veggy - Don't give up.  You will find something soon.