Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stitching the pieces together

Options

Comments

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545
    edited February 2011
    Options

The purse is wonderful.  How clever.

• faithandfifty
    faithandfifty Member Posts: 4,424
    edited February 2011
    Options

It was truly a ridiculous amount of time!!!!

I will say that we worked and talked and worked and talked and worked and talked and worked and talked.

There was no wine nor alcohol of any sort.

Part of the reason that it took soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long was that she was teaching all sorts of skills in the midst of the making of the project itself.

Like the whole create-your-own-piping lesson within the lesson.

I don't know that I could have followed the pattern without her guidance, but I'm pretty thrilled with the finished project!!! Whoohooo!!!

Well, the nearly-finished project. LOL

Thanks team.

• jo1955
    edited February 2011
    Options
    faithandfifty - You should be thrilled, you did an excellent job.
  • Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618
    edited February 2011
    Options

Faiithie, I'd be interested in the pattern if you ever get it dug out.    You did an excellent job on it.  I loved going to a quilting circle because of all the chatting we did when we were working.  I miss that.

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited February 2011
    Options

Oooo Faithie, I would love the pattern as well.  Your bag is just so cut and practicle and I really like your fabric combination!

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited February 2011
    Options

Oooo Faithie, I would love the pattern as well.  Your bag is just so cute and practicle and I really like your fabric combination!

• Meece
    edited February 2011
    Options

The fabrics are so YOU!!!  Everytime I see polka dots, I think of you.

• faithandfifty
    edited February 2011
    Options

Thanks again, stitchers!

I've just gone out to the car and brought in a couple bags worth of the supplies and came across the pattern.

It's entitled: "The Two-Hour Tulip Purse

By the company: Anything But Boring.

The website is: www.twohourtulip.com 

++++Disclaimer for the time-challenged, I don't think there's any way on this green earth that you could get this accomplished in two hours. There is a little note on the front of the pattern's picture that says: Larger size takes longer.

Those of us in the class laughed and laughed and laughed about the disclaimer.

We did make the larger purse, so I suppose our requirement for 12 hours together makes sense in retrospect. ENJOY!!

• faithandfifty
    edited February 2011
    Options

P,S. It gets it's name 'tulip' from the major pattern piece that is shaped like a tulip petal.

• jo1955
    edited February 2011
    Options

faithandfifty - I have done many quilt patterns that say they can be done in a weekend.  Never been able to get them done in that time.  I always wondered if they mean it can be done once all the pieces are cut out and ready to go? Must be marathon quilting.  Who knows.  If I like the pattern, I still do it.

• Meece
    edited February 2011
    Options

Thank you so much.  I think I will challenge myself to finish one project first before I start a new one.  I only have 17 weeks to finish the nursery bedding and window treatments and accessories.  I only have a certain amount of time each week to work on it so we'll see if I can put the pedal to the metal and get it done well ahead of time.

• jo1955
    edited February 2011
    Options

Meece - Since you have been such an inspiration to me to get back to quilting, I have two quilts going now.  One is in the hand quilting stage and I am cutting the pieces for another one.  The first one is coming along nicely but I have to give my hands a break as they tend to cramp up more these days with the Tamox.  So, I am starting the second one.  It is not unusual for me to have more than one going at a time.

• Meece
    edited February 2011
    Options

Now that I am back, with no pending trips and hopefully no more disasters in my near future, I am going to focus and get more stitching done!

• samsue
    samsue Member Posts: 599
    edited February 2011
    Options

Just checking in and reading all the posts.... love the purse Faithie and the quilt that you're working on Meese, so cute just right for Baby Boo. I'm still trying to finish the knitted neck scarf for my DD but thinking it will be spring before it's finished :-)

I always had at least two and maybe three projects going at a time. I like to do mini's and they use a lot of "eye" work for the tiny stitching or needlework. The others are being pieced while at night I could sit and quilt while watching TV. I'll try and scan a couple of pictures for the album here.

• jo1955
    edited February 2011
    Options

Here is preview of my latest quilt project.  It is still on the quilt wall waiting for me to start sewing.  I want to thank Barbe for some professional advice in planning this.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited February 2011
    Options

Here's another tip: Squint your eyes OR look in a camera viewfinder OR look at your project in a mirror OR look through a door peephole (you can buy the peephole) to make sure your colours are balanced and flow well. Jo, yours look great! You don't want your eye to be able to pick out a light/dark pattern, unless one was meant to be there.

• barbe1958
    edited February 2011
    Options

FYI, Jo had already bought the fabrics and pattern, I just gave my opinion on which fabrics to use. It's all HER planning!!!

• jo1955
    edited February 2011
    Options

Barbe - I appreciate all the tips.  I am pretty much self taught and could always use help with color selection and placement.  

• faithandfifty
    edited February 2011
    Options

Barbe..... I'm thinkin' that's a new photo?? LOVE LOVE the smile!

I was telling one of my quilt friends Barbe's tips above in looking for balance while working out final design/placement.

The other trick I've learned, (something of a synthesis of what Barbe's suggested) is to take a photo of the project underway and then turn the picture 90 degrees and then another 90 (so the picture is upside down) and then the last 90 degrees.

When you project the picture on your laptop, that's another way to manipultate your brain to see it from numerous angles and perspectives.

I adored the chapter of my life when I taught art...... back in the stone ages -- well before all of our current technology........ but Barbe's reminder to 'squint' is a good one..... and always a fall back.

Oh, just thought of another. Get a mat board that has been cut for a small picture. Look at your project thru that 'frame.'

It's so awesome that we can help one another!!!

• barbe1958
    edited February 2011
    Options

...or, take off your glasses (or put them on!) whichever makes the picture blurry.

• Meece
    edited February 2011
    Options

I was going through boxes in my garage yesterday and ran acrossed one I started back 26-27 years ago, before I knew about rotary cutting and such.  I think I might try to salvage it.  If I post a picture, please squint when you look at it.  I didn't have a pattern, I just enlarged on my great grandmother had made.

• barbe1958
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Warn me to take my glasses off! Cool
  • veggy
    veggy Member Posts: 4,150
    edited February 2011
    Options

I love the quilts! So much talent! Its hard to say which one Ilike best.

I crochet. I always wanted to learn how to quilt but never found anyone to teach me.

• Meece
    edited February 2011
    Options

Okay, remove glasses and start squinting.

• Meece
    edited February 2011
    Options

I am thinking I can salvage the inner stars.  It is a crib sized quilt, I am almost positive that I still have some of the fabric scraps that I can use to complete it properly.

• Meece
    edited February 2011
    Options

Veggy, we'd love to see some of your crocheted work.

• jo1955
    edited February 2011
    Options

Meece - That looks great.  You should be able to save most of it.  You will have to show us the finished project when you are done.

• Meece
    edited February 2011
    Options

I had forgotten that I had even started the project.

• jo1955
    edited February 2011
    Options

I have a few like that as well so don't feel like the lone stranger. LOL

• Meece
    edited February 2011
    Options

I am wary of looking in more of the boxes marked "Crafts/Sewing".  Who knows how many more forgotten projects I may find.