Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stitching the pieces together

Options
1125126127128129131»

Comments

• ceanna
    ceanna Member Posts: 3,120
    edited October 2020
    Options

Best thing about crocheting is that it is easy to tear out and just reinsert the hook and you're back in business!! Much easier than back knitting!! Yes, the first few rows are the hardest and tension is a matter of practice. Chain just a short row (maybe 4=5 inches or so) so you don't have too many chain stitches to crochet into and the next rows will be easier!! Practice and tear out until it feels pretty easy! We all mess up and back up, but I find crocheting is the easiest needlework project!! Have fun!

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,422
    edited October 2020
    Options

Started over and I got the tension right finally and the foundation chain and first row done.

• ceanna
    edited October 2020
    Options

Yay!!!! Congrats! You're doing well!

• m0mmyof3
    edited October 2020
    Options

Finally after about 12 tries. For my first attempt at crocheting I am using just the single stitchas my mom advised me to do.

• ceanna
    edited October 2020
    Options

Single crochet is the easiest once you're past the first row. Practice, practice, and soon you'll move on to more detail!! Have fun!

• m0mmyof3
    edited October 2020
    Options

Still having troubl

• melissadallas
    melissadallas Member Posts: 929
    edited October 2020
    Options

Learning to do most needle work is fairly easy. Learning to be good at it (and consistence in your gauge) takes lots and lots and lots of practice. What are you having trouble with?

• beaverntx
    beaverntx Member Posts: 2,962
    edited October 2020
    Options

MOmmy, do not strive for perfection with your first piece. Just keep working on it. The first rows are the hardest, I think because there is so little to hold onto, so you will get better practice after you are a few rows up. Even if it does not turn out to be perfect you will be a lot higher on the learning curve for the practice you will have gotten.

• ceanna
    edited October 2020
    Options

Practice will help bring even stitches. Just keep going for a long narrow piece and you'll either end up with a scarf or, what most practice does, just tear out and start again! I always have to have a little repetitive practice time if I've been away from any of the needle arts for any length of time to make my pieces even.

• melissadallas
    edited October 2020
    Options

Needlework is just like quilting. You make a test square and if your dimensions don’t match you adjust your seams and or needle position to correct the dimensions

• m0mmyof3
    edited October 2020
    Options

I have trouble with turning to start a new row and keeping the tension right. I am fine with the foundation part but after that it goes all wrong.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,869
    edited October 2020
    Options

I had a pattern for an afghan that would be perfect. (not sure I still have it). Each row was started from the beginning (no turning) and it made it's own fringe.

• m0mmyof3
    edited October 2020
    Options

Been trying to crochet a cover for the top of my dresser.

• m0mmyof3
    edited October 2020
    Options

Finally figured out where I was messing up. Everything looks okay now.

• ceanna
    edited October 2020
    Options

Great!! Have fun!!

• beaverntx
    edited October 2020
    Options

Good goin'!!

• m0mmyof3
    edited October 2020
    Options

Did about 4 rows already. Figured once I get mine done if I have enough yarn of the color I am using I am going to do one for hubby’s dresser and the nightstands.

• m0mmyof3
    edited November 2020
    Options

I finished my nightstand cover! I figured out how to do it in half double crochet and it only took three days after I tore it down to the staring chain! Tomorrow I start on hubby’s!

• beaverntx
    edited November 2020
    Options

Congrats!! I love the variegated yarns that create different splotches of color.

• ceanna
    edited November 2020
    Options

Great job!! I love it!!! Glad you succeeded and good luck with the one for hubby!

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,869
    edited November 2020
    Options

Really nice. I love how the yarn did the color pattern. I should try making something with that kind of yarn.

• m0mmyof3
    edited November 2020
    Options

I used Red Heart Super Saver Jumbo yarn. The color is called Icelandic.

My hubby is hinting for either my birthday later this month or Christmas getting me more yarn and more crochet hooks.

• ceanna
    edited November 2020
    Options

Thanks for the yarn info. I'm going to look for that Red Heart yarn. If you hint enough, maybe hubby will get you a gift certificate for a yarn/craft store!! If you're buying crochet hooks, there are some nice sets of different sizes, and I would suggest aluminum/steel hooks instead of any type of plastic (which I feel grabs the yarn too much!). What fun to think of new projects with more yarn!! Have fun!

• melissadallas
    edited November 2020
    Options

Nice job! you definitely want the gift card to pick for yourself. Beware! you could become as addicted to amassing yarn as I am to fabric

• m0mmyof3
    edited November 2020
    Options

I have yarn aplenty. I do plastic canvas projects so there is no fear of me running out. My mom advised me when I was thinking of starting to crochet to get the metal hooks, which I did.

I started the dust cover for hubby’s nightstand today.

• m0mmyof3
    edited November 2020
    Options

Finished the dust cover for hubby’s nightstand. Working on the dust cover for his dresser. Hoping to finish it in the next two days. Would love to find a simple scarf pattern to make as a surprise gift for hubby for Christmas.

• m0mmyof3
    edited December 2020
    Options

Made a scarf for hubby for Christmas. Now working on an blanket for my bed for next summer, not really pushing myself on it. I also will be working on an afghan to cover my recliner

• ceanna
    edited December 2020
    Options

You're really going to town!! Keep going, girl!!! I just finished crocheting two hats and one scarf and halfway done with the 2nd scarf. I think you motivated me to start crocheting again and now that the weather is cooler, it's a cozy craft!! Thanks!

• m0mmyof3
    edited December 2020
    Options

You are very welcome!