Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

TRIPLE POSITIVE GROUP

Options

Comments

• dragonfly1
    dragonfly1 Member Posts: 516
    Options

Ashla Re: the worry/anxiety. It's an interesting thing. I think it's a process and it can change over time. I chose a lumpectomy knowing that I'd have to face the dreaded mammos. I've never been an overly anxious person but BC and this treatment put me in emotional places I never expected.

I'm 42 and I look back now and realize that surgery, chemo, sudden "chemopause", Rads and Herceptin took a physical and emotional toll on me (not to mention the changes in weight/hair loss/physical appearance). I think we are all doing well to remain sane under those circumstances when you think about it:) It's a year of nonstop stress and treatment overload and I think heightened anxiety is normal considering what we endure. A year later everything is done and I'm just taking Tamoxifen and dealing with some leftover SEs.

Finally, I''m getting a glimpse of what Lago, Amyisstrong, Omaz and so many others have talked about i.e. I don't worry or think about BC all the time. I feel like I'm getting my life back by not being so bogged down in constant appointments and treatments and now the anxiety/fear only crops up when I face a scan and even then it's over as soon as I get the results. 

Prior to BC my personality was mostly the optimist, carefree. live for today, etc-definitely low anxiety. After the diagnosis I became incredibly anxious and stayed that way through the past year of treatment. Now that treatment is over I feel the anxiety falling away and I'm getting back to my old self. My point is that for some people BC can throw you into a place of worry and anxiety which is totally normal in my opinion AND you may find that it resolves after the treatment ends.

Sorry for being so long-winded. I've just been amazed at this transition since I finished Herceptin and got through my first post-BC mammo. I feel like I've been holding my breath all year and finally gave myself permission to exhale! It's so hard to believe it or see it in the midst of the storm but life does look and feel brighter at the end of this treatment. We have to keep encouraging one another through this...

• dancetrancer
    dancetrancer Member Posts: 2,461
    Options

Thanks for that post dragonfly.  I'm in the midst of major anxiety, unknowns, etc., etc.  It's always good to hear the reminder that it does get better after the treatment phase is over. 

• ashla
    ashla Member Posts: 1,566
    Options

Dragonfly....

42 ,dancetrancer 43.....I am so, so sorry that you have to face this at your age.....

• dancetrancer
    Options
    Thanks so much Ashla.  It's hard no matter what age, but when you are the youngest one in the waiting rooms and treatment areas...it's disheartening for sure.  This board is a Godsend - able to meet other younger (and even much younger Frown) people really helps!  And, BTW, I would have NEVER, ever guessed your age!  You look fantastic! 
  • achpurple
    achpurple Member Posts: 245
    Options

I'm 44 (43 at diagnosis) and am always the youngest one in my chemo center - when my husband's aunt (who's 83) goes with me I always tell her not to fall asleep because they'll be trying to give the chemo to her - LOL!  

• Wendyspet
    Wendyspet Member Posts: 103
    Options

Dragonfly--your post nailed it for me!  (only written much better).  This BC is a mind-bend.  THAT's the part that has been the hardest.  One minute you're normal, and the next, you're in 'cancerland.'  Time has made it better though.

• NWArtLady
    NWArtLady Member Posts: 239
    Options
    I'm 42 (turning 43 in 12 days!) and Dragonfly I can really appreciate your post.  I'm looking forward to decreasing my worry and to this being behind me (as much as it can).
  • kriskat
    kriskat Member Posts: 116
    Options

I had just turned 36 at dx; always am the youngest in the waiting room! I agree with dragonfly, the further I get from treatment- the better emotionally I feel!!! Just had major milestone today-I used cold caps during treatment and still lost some but not all hair. My hairdresser put extensions in today and for the first time in a yr I recognize the face in the mirror. I don't know who was more emotional-me or her:)

• missy_111
    missy_111 Member Posts: 97
    Options

dragonfly - very nicely written!

• pejkug3
    pejkug3 Member Posts: 277
    Options

Kriskat - I was 35 at diagnosis and I'm always the youngest in the chemo room.  The woman I spend the most time talking to is older than my grandma!  There is also a woman who is 50 and another who is 38...she entered hospice last month.  :( 

• missy_111
    Options

I am also the youngest at my center (diagnosed at 44), but I have met many women on this site much younger then me. It was difficult going through treatment, being surrounded by people much older then me, that had brought their children who were my age.

• kriskat
    kriskat Member Posts: 116
    Options

Do any of you younger ladies have a family history? I am the first on both sides that we are aware of - I also have 3 other sisters and tested Meg for BRCA-just shows how random this disease is! My onc says she is seeing more and more younger women thoug-which is sad:(. Sorry about your friend-Pejkug :(

• dancetrancer
    Options

2 paternal aunts.  No one in immediate family. BRCA neg.  Random! 

• Kelloggs
    Kelloggs Member Posts: 303
    Options

I'm 45, absolutely no family history (until now)

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    Options

I am the family history. No breast cancer on either side. No aunts, grandmothers, great aunts, great grandmothers, sister or mother. Don't know about cousins on dads side but none on mom's side either.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,234
    Options

54 at diagnosis, 55 now.  Adopted so no idea whether or not there is family history.  I had BRCA testing (negative) done the day of diagnosis by BS office.

• YaYa5
    YaYa5 Member Posts: 532
    Options

65 at diagnosis, 66 now.  (ugh)  it was random for me as well.  

• missy_111
    Options

I do have a family history.  2 maternal Aunts, 1 maternal first cousin, 1 paternal first cousin.  I was so scared I had BRCA testing done in 08. Came back negative. My paternal first cousin(just diag. in July) is 44 like me, and tested neg. for BRCA as well.  I am really not too happy with my OBGYN. He knew I was HIGH risk, and really did nothing extra to help protect me. A yearly mammo was it. He even told me not to check myself, saying he knew I had dense breasts, that it was hard  to differentiate, and that it made me anxious.  He said I would be fine with my annual mammogram.  Mammograms are useless on dense breasts!! If I only knew then, what I know now!!

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914
    Options

47 at diagnosis. Only one in my family. I have an identical twin who does not have cancer.

• achpurple
    achpurple Member Posts: 245
    Options

I am the family history here too!  My oncologist says "family history has to start somewhere."

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,797
    Options

Dragonfly....couldnt have said it better. We must have similar personalities as I was the same pre bc. Upon diagnosis, I developed panic disorder and had to go on an anti-anxiety med. Just waenwd myself off. We will see how it goes.

This whole week is so cool! We have been downtown on Super Bowl Village several times and it is fabulous. Daughter is doing red carpet interviews at all the top parties and having a blast.

One thing Indy does for all our events is extensive local legacy projects. (i used to be part of senior management for the organization that brings all the sport events to town).

Do you guys know one of the projects is the Indy Super CUre project, where they collected healthy breast tissue for studies? Here is a link. The local effort was headed by my first boss out of
    college.

http://www.indianapolissuperbowl.com/indy-super-cure/

Couldn't be prouder of the work my former coworkers have done.....and so glad that I am not on the other side. As much fun as it is, I wouldnt have seen my home or sleep for months!

• pejkug3
    pejkug3 Member Posts: 277
    Options

I have some family history, but it's removed from me a bit...a maternal great-aunt and a maternal second cousin (her daughter) and another maternal great aunt.  But my aunts are just coming into their 50's - makes me a little nervous for them.

• NWArtLady
    NWArtLady Member Posts: 239
    Options

I'm the first (and hopefully the last) in my family.

Missy, I hope you're looking for a new obgyn! I haven't been too pleased with my primary doc and asked my oncologist for some recommendations for a new one. It's so important that we be comfortable with our doctors if at all possible.

• dragonfly1
    dragonfly1 Member Posts: 516
    Options

No family history of BC for me either-I'm the first...

• saralmom
    saralmom Member Posts: 216
    Options

I have one paternal aunt who had BC.

• missy_111
    Options

Yes, I was so disgusted with my OBGYN, I dropped him immediately after diagnosis!

• shore1
    shore1 Member Posts: 591
    Options

41 at dx in june 2011. No family history.

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    Options

No family history that I know of (adopted but have some info), 51 at dx, pre-menopausal

• slousha
    slousha Member Posts: 181
    Options

My paternal aunt died of BC 30 years ago, but lived 18 years after surgery! I was dx-ed at 70 in 2009, last year my sister got it at 57! It's family history!

• YaYa5
    YaYa5 Member Posts: 532
    Options
    kay, i have an identical twin, too, and like yours, she doesn't have bc either.