TRIPLE POSITIVE GROUP

Comments

• kriskat
    kriskat Member Posts: 116

I start tam after rads but during herceptin. So far so good, makes me wonder if it's working!

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,797

Angela,my usually normal bp went up when I was diagnosed due to stress. The dlc put me on a low dose beta blocker, noting that there were studies in Norway, I think, looking at how beta blockers can protect the heart during chemo. He said that the dose I had was probably way too small to make a big difference, but he chose the beta blocker drug for that reason.

It sounds great, especially if you are using an adymycin/herceptin combination.

• meglove
    meglove Member Posts: 105

Welcome Karri. I was in the same age as you when diagonosed.

TonLee, thanks very much for the link and information. You ladies are really resourceful!

Love, Meg

• angela44
    angela44 Member Posts: 16

Fluff,

I  am not on the adriamycin and I guess I need to ask about the different dosages of the heart meds.  I have questions for the doc about possible side effects.  I guess I can stop the study at any time if I don't like how it makes me feel, which is good.  I do believe the dosage is considered low of both drugs and I could possibly get the placebo.  But it would be good for other cancer patients down the road to know the resutls of this study.

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

angela all drugs have SE. I would question  how often they see these SE.

• achpurple
    achpurple Member Posts: 245

Angela:  My husband has been on Coreg for over 5 years now with no side effects.

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    TonLee - How are you feeling after the ooph?
  • CRuth
    CRuth Member Posts: 8

Hi all -- thanks for the tips on Claritin and Neulasta -- I didn't get it early enough this tme, but if I have SEs, I'll definitly try it next time!

I have a question for anyone with DMX/TEs and Chemo - My breasts (or whatever they are) have gotten very swollen following my first infusion yesterday, especially along the top -- almost to the point of feeling like they are going to explode!  My PS's nurse said it is normal to retain fluids from the infusion, but I've never heard of this particular SE.  Anyone else have a similar experience?  I have a plethora of drugs, but I don't have any idea what might help this predicament! Cyndy

ps, love all the stats/resources people are postin g-- very informative!  

• shore1
    shore1 Member Posts: 591

Does anyone know the standard number of herceptin treatments given over the course of a year? I had 12 weekly herceptin given with taxol. A week after taxol ended, I had the firstfirst of thea every 3 week doses. Are they supposed to add up to a certain number of treatments all together? Im sure MO told me, but I don't remember and am wondering if there's a standard or if it varies. Thanks.

• YaYa5
    YaYa5 Member Posts: 532
    shore, i'm not triple positive, but i AM her2 positive.  i think you mean you're getting herceptin once every 3 weeks,  not 33.  my onco told me i would have 18 in all or 52 divided by 3 (which is actually 17.3!)  i think that's fairly standard ... 17 or 18 in all.
  • NWArtLady
    NWArtLady Member Posts: 239

Angela44 - my port hurt for almost a month afterwards; you are not the only one!! But I am SO pleased to have it! My MD spoke about staying ahead of the pain and taking painkillers by the clock (as appropriate to the painkiller you are taking - I took Ibuprofen) and not waiting until it hurt. Mine felt like it was choking me at first but now I barely feel it.

Lago - I love my Roomba vacuum!! I have 2 dogs and it really helps keep the fur under control. Also, this is not the PhD I wanted to get!! Tongue out

Moonflwr912, I'm so sorry about all those sticks!! I learned the hard way to NEVER allow anyone but an oncology nurse touch my port.

Karri - welcome!! Sorry you need to be here, but this is the place to be if you need it!

• TonLee
    TonLee Member Posts: 1,589

Omaz,

I'm feeling good, thanks for asking.  Pretty severe abdominal bloating.  I look 4 months pregnant.  (Which I thought would resolve after a few days for some reason.)  And I'm hungry all the time.  I took a 5 mile walk today, 5 days after surgery.  It was fine, but my belly is more swollen tonight.

I don't know if this qualifies as "major" surgery, but my body is recovering from it like it was....so far so good.  :)

• shore1

TonLee, glad it went well for you. Did surgeon tell you how long the bloating lasts, or if there's anything you can do to get rid of it?

• rozem
    rozem Member Posts: 749

shore 1 - 17 or 18 i believe (this is in addition to the herceptin you got with chemo)

tonlee - glad to hear you are recovering nicely

re:  the ooph - they gyno i was referred to will not give me an ooph without my onc's blessing, and my onc refuses to approve it.  So unless my periods come back I am keeping my inards

question:  does anyone have any thoughts on alloderm?  i am doing a double msx with TE's after i heal from rads (about 5mos) and the PS said she would either use skin from my back or alloderm

• shore1

Tags, yes, thanks - I meant every 3 weeks. I already had 12 weekly doses. Did you have that too?

• shore1

Ugh, I meant yaya - auto speller is annoying

• angela44
    angela44 Member Posts: 16

I think if you start out with weekly herceptin, that once you go to every three weeks, you will continue that until you have completed a year from the time you started the herceptin to begin with.  Hope that isn't too confusing.  Some doctors do weekly at first and some do every three weeks from the beginning. 

• achpurple
    achpurple Member Posts: 245

I'm having 17 total - which worked out to a little over a year because I had to switch chemo regimens.

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938

My tx is weekly Herceptin with TV x 6 then Herceptin every 3wks for a year. And, I will forgive all the weird auto corrects if you will do the same. Poor Lago usually comes out as lagoon you all have heard it before, but stay hydrated, I ended up with renal failure last week two weeks after my first tx, I drank a lot, but, it still happenedy, so try harder.

• lago
    Lagoon… did someone call me Tongue out BTW I got 17 herceptins
  • fluffqueen01

shore...I did the same thing as you..12 weekly, then the 13th week and then on to every three weeks. I just tried counting it all up and I believe it adds up to a total of 27 times. My lst one will be March 20. Those 12 weeks though were a lesser weekly amount and the every three weeks are dose dense.

• dragonfly1
    dragonfly1 Member Posts: 516

Fluffqueen That works out to the right number-your 12 weeks would be equivalent to 4 of the bigger H doses which would leave you with 14 more to reach a total of 18 if that makes sense. Shore1, it should be the same for you if you are getting 18 (some of us get 17).

• fluffqueen01

that's what I was thinking dragonfly. One more to go!

• shore1

Thanks all, makes sense.

• slousha
    slousha Member Posts: 181

Hi dear ladies,

I have had Herceptinb in 2009-2010. Yearly prescribed dose was dispensed on 52 week, the dose for 14 days was duplicated and for 3 weeks triplicated!

Best wishes

Usha

• TonLee

Roze, I had alloderm.  Didn't even know it until I read my Op report.  My PS used it to create a sling or something....

You don't even know it's there and eventually it "incorporates" into your skin....

• TonLee

Shore,

I go in for follow-up in the 15th so we'll see what the Ob says then.  I've read about the "swellie-belly" and its duration seems fairly individual.  The shortest amount of time seems to be around 2 weeks.  I'm hoping for that! lol  Of course there are women who swear that they still have bloating a year, two after surgery.  lol  But I'm not thinking it will hang on that long....

This morning when I woke, the swelling was down quite a bit, but as the day wears on it bloats back up.  I think when I start exercising hard again it will fade.

I can suck in my abs but I am trying not to do that because I have bruising and figure they just need a little recovery time.  It feels so weird though, walking around mentally telling myself to loosen my ab muscles.  All my life it's been the opposite!  heh.

Oh well.  Maybe I'll post a few pics at the one week or two week milestone. :)

Then again, with no ab definition, maybe not! 

• lago

TonLee I thought you would have to sign a release if they used alloderm. I know I had to sign a release letting them give me a blood transfusion at my BMX if I needed it. (I don't think I did though).

• TonLee

Lago,

I don't think I signed a release.  But it may have been in the consent for surgery form.  It likely was and I just don't remember. 

• lago

that's what I mean, concent form