TRIPLE POSITIVE GROUP

Comments

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218

Mammo didn't find mine when it was DCIS either.

• bcbarbie10
    bcbarbie10 Member Posts: 148

The mammo didnt find mine EVEN AFTER the biopsy!

• bcbarbie10
    bcbarbie10 Member Posts: 148

Correction. Here's what happened: felt the lump, went to get a breast ultrasound, said it is suspicious for malignancy, saw a surgeon who requested for a mammogram followed a few minutes by core needle biopsy, all done on the same day. All of the above detected the cancer, but the mammo remained negative.

• chachamom
    chachamom Member Posts: 410

Mammo didn't find my IDC less than 2 months prior to my discovery of the lump.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,252

Mammo didn't find/see my 2cm palpable IDC, the ultrasound I had done immediately after did.

AA - I am fully menopausal because mine was surgical, but both AIs I have taken did not increase or decrease my flashes, they have been consistent for 11 years - I had them on HRT, through chemo, on Femara, on Arimidex, on a box with a fox...lol!

• arlenea
    arlenea Member Posts: 1,150

I had the most aggressive mammo at my radiology lab in Vegas and it was the most painful one I had ever had but I guess that aggressiveness found my lump...you couldn't feel it.  I worry now back here in Florida since they don't hurt that they aren't being aggressive enough.  I do get the ultrasound on the bad breast but not the other one.  Hoping the every 3-month blood work will tell if something is beginning to happen in my body.

Once again, I think this is all a crapshoot but we have to deal with it but one they are making great strides with!

• chachamom

OMG, Soltantio!!! 4.8 cm and it hid from all the screening? ....I guess the reassuring part is that they continued to check until the had the monster cornered....sneaky little devil!

• dancetrancer
    dancetrancer Member Posts: 2,461

I felt no lump, mine was found on screening mammogram.  I had lots of DCIS throughout my breast (6 cm+), requiring a MX b/c of my small breast size.  Later, they discovered a tiny amount of IDC in the MX tissue.  Had I not had that screening mammogram, no doubt it would have grown much larger by 1 year later.  I believe in mammogram screenings.  

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

I'm not surprised. My tumor was 6.5cm with the DCIS. Not sure what size it was the year before but it couldn't be that small. They thought the saw something 4 years prior but everyone said it was nothing. When you have dense tissue it can be really difficult to see. Granted even at 6.5cm the place I had my mammo stated "suspicious but not typical for cancer." But the place I had my biopsy told me it was cancer just before the procedure. Even my BS knew. He started to talk about how breast cancer is very treatable. He knew by looking at my images.

Mammos are only as good as the radiologists who read them.

• dancetrancer

Lago, that is so true.  I'm very thankful the initial radiologist caught mine.  Then I went for a 2nd surgical opinion and those radiologists found 2 more spots of calcifications the original radiologist hadn't spotted or seen on their mammogram.  Even though the wait is long, this is the only place I will go now for my mammo's.  All they do are breast mammo's, nothing else. 

• arlenea
    Dance:  That's the place to go.  The radiologist who did my biopsy went back in 3 times for samples so I didn't have to come back again.  Good thing you don't feel anything but pressure.  Boy, thinking back of all the stuff we went through even before surgery!  Frown
  • moni731
    moni731 Member Posts: 212

Hi all! I have recently read about the new 3D mammogram services offered at a branch of my clinic. I am wondering if anyone on here has done one. Supposedly, they are better at detecting problems in dense breast tissue (I have this), and reducing false readings.  I have a mammo/us and possible MRI scheduled for 8/20. Wondering if I should reschedule to one of these.

• lago

I think my mom is going to get one of those. She has dense tissue (like I had but not as dense since she's in her 70's and had kids). I don't think she can do an MRI because of back & knee issues. Not sure if this is better than MRI or the same.

• vickilind61
    vickilind61 Member Posts: 143

lago, I LOVE you new pic!  You look so beautiful....go girl!

• Soyaandpepper
    Soyaandpepper Member Posts: 43

vickilind61-How have you been? Miss you, how's your chemo going? Hope everything is going well with you!

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938

Dcis in right breast by mammo, nothing but Dcis on right side on ultrasound, after biopsy on right breast, they told me lumpectomy would work. I decided on BMX due to family. They didn't really like my decision but I insisted. Which was a good thing, hiding in my LEFT breast was 1.6 IDC. Unseen. Surprised BS and PS, said I made a good decision, duh, you think! LOL hey, Vicki, glad you are doing well. Lago, hope your moms appt goes well. Arlene, my BS went in twice during the biopsy too. Ouch. Not like sticking your boob through a hole while they punch a hole in it is fun, you'd think they'd aim better. MonI, don't know about the 3d version, they claimed the digital version was the best, but of course, that was almost a year ago. DT, sometimes it is just luck they find it. saltatino, if I felt pain, I would have been so freaked. I wish I could comment on everyone here, but if I turn a page back, I will lose my whole post, so just know there is much love to all.

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,797

This is a rough day. A close friend's husband, who has duodenal cancer, has taken a turn for the worse and doesn't have much longer. It is so sad, and then it makes me realize again just how fragile it all is. It is so hard on the family. Makes me sad.

• moonflwr912

Fluff, (((hugs))))

• chachamom

Hugs to you Fluff!

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,252

moni - my best friend in California had a 3D done.  She used to get call-backs on regular mammos because she has such dense tissue.  Her center is one of the first to have the 3D and they were raving about how accurate it is - then she gets a call-back!  She was terrified and had just lost her Dad suddenly a week before.  She called me in tears so sure that this was going to end up badly, as she has had a year from hell (boyfriend break-up, job issues, parents declared bankruptcy so she was helping to support them, pay cut, house was robbed, etc.)  She had gone to work and was going to the call-back later in the day.  I actually called the center from across the country and spoke to the head of mammography and said my friend is coming, just lost her dad, if you have bad news for her handle her with kid gloves!  There was a pause and I was expecting to get yelled at, given a speech about HIPAA, etc.  All she said was "you are a very good friend and we are going to take special care of her" and it turned out that all was well.

fluff - sorry about your friend, I know it is so hard.  I lost an old and great friend in the spring to uterine cancer caused by her BC treatment 13 years before.  Being at her funeral felt like a preview of my own, it was heartbreaking.

• moonflwr912

Wow, everyone is up late today. Every one sleep well.

• moonflwr912

Sal, no MRIs for me, I have a pacemaker, so just mammos and ultrasounds for me. You also have to understand my mother died of bc, as did two of her sisters. All of them had hidden bc in the untreated breast, so for me it was a no brainer and probably why the docs didn't try too hard to talk me out of it.

• lago

What amazes me is I have very dense breasts and I was only called back once 4 years prior to diagnosis. That's when they switched from analog to digital so everyone assumed the issue was from that. BTW I did have LCIS on the right. MRI picked it up but even the US didn't see it. I hear that's typical.

------------------------------

I'm a volunteer for the ACS. I've been handing out literature about the strides walk in october. OMG last time one guy comes up to me and tells me his wife just had her BMX that afternoon at 1! She already survived ovarian cancer. Another guy came up to me and was just diagnosed with a rare blood cancer (runs in his family) the day before. Last time I was out a woman who was recently diagnosed is going to the same treatment center as I did… we huged. Also another man came up and wanted to thank the ACS because he would have died without the help of the ACS. He had colon cancer.

I could go on but cancer really is a part of our life. You would be amazed HOW MANY SURVIVORS there are. So many of us make it! Granted it's so hard when someone we know doesn't. 

• geewhiz
    geewhiz Member Posts: 671

Yep, sad but true Lago.

We are reeling this week. My 50 year old sister in law got diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian. She is being fast tracked for surgery this week. They are cutting her down the center. It all sounds terrible.

What is going on in our world?

• arlenea

Reading back, I'm glad I didn't log on here last night or I'd have never slept!

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    I am so sorry geewhz.
  • chachamom

So, so sorry, geewhiz. Lago, it amazes me how oblivious one can be until it directly affects someone close. Once it does....your perspective changes and it changes everything.

Have a good weekend everyone!

• jackboo09
    jackboo09 Member Posts: 780

Very sorry to hear your bad news Geewhiz. All the best to you and your family.

I have booked my reduction surgery for November 15th. I have been struck with how terrified I am. When I was dx in Feb 11', I wanted to have the operation ASAP and was quite brave (bring it on kind of attitude). Now that I have a choice, I feel so different. Big respect to everyone who has had or will have further surgeries. Tonlee, hope you are on your way to recovery.I have been told I will need to come off Tamoxifen berfore the surgery. My plan now is to keep working out so that I am as fit as possible. My weight is creeping up the further out from Herceptin I get. 

Happy weekend to all my friends on the board.

Liz

• dancetrancer
    Geewhiz, so sorry to hear the news about your SIL. Frown
  • moonflwr912

Gee whiz, I am so sorry about your SIL. Give her hugs from us. Jackboo, it is harder to make decisions about surgery when we don't believe our life depends on it. But, we are strong and go through with it if it makes our life better.

Lago, I agree with you and Chachamom, its amazing how many people you meet who have a connection to this disease. Kind of like when you are pregnant and see other pregnant women everywhere. To everyone, much love