TRIPLE POSITIVE GROUP

Comments

• Binc
    Binc Member Posts: 71

I had my first screening mammo ever at 41. I had no symptoms, lumps etc. Apparently, what I did have was a 6mm tumor of IDC on the right side and a 1.5 cm tumor of DCIS on the left. Given that my IDC was triple positive, I doubt it would have resolved itself over time. So I am grateful for having done the screening mammo - even though my doc said I didn't really need one at 41 since I had no family history!

• Binc

Fluff and geewhiz- I am sorry for the news about your friend and sil.

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938

Binc, Sometimes serendipity comes into play and we just say thanks!

• Binc

Very true, Moonflwr! I am thankful a very competent radiologist caught it & I went for the mammo in the first place!

• ashla
    ashla Member Posts: 1,566

There are over 12 million cancer survivors in the USA today.......

• arlenea
    arlenea Member Posts: 1,150

Hi Binc:  Yeah, I sure don't buy that if you don't have a family history.  I believe there are a lot of us on here who have no family history.  When someone tells me they don't worry nor have mammos because there is no family history, I counsel them but most just think it won't happen to them and I pray it doesn't. 

I really think and had an onc who believes the same that environmental issues are at play here.  Good grief, look at all the runoff of pesticides everywhere, pesticides on our food, antibiotics, etc. in our meat.  Everything seems loaded with pesticides.  I try to buy organic as much as possible but that isn't always safe either. 

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.  I just came back from a 5 mile walk/jog.  Still working hard to get back into shape and taking a long time but I'll get there.

I also started acupuncture and hoping that helps!

Arlene

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

I am the family history! Every woman is at risk for breast cancer. If you have a blood relative then you are at a higher risk. This is one of the biggest misconceptions. I too thought "no history no problem."

Men the risk is lower

• Binc

Arlene- I agree! I think environmental issues play a significant role in BC incidents. Not just the food we eat but all of the other toxins we are exposed to also- plastics, cosmetic chemicals etc. In my case, I think chronic stress was a big factor too. For the 2 years leading up to my diagnosis I was dealing with some major stressful issues including both my Dad and my father-in-law who were battling terminal illnesses and died 2 weeks apart as well as my baby who was born with a life threatening birth defect (thankfully, he's fine today!). The body can only handle so much before things start to go haywire. . .

• Soyaandpepper
    Soyaandpepper Member Posts: 43

Ladies I agree with Binc and the environmental problems, I just finished a book called Anti Cancer-A new way of life by David Servan-Schreiber, maybe it has been mentioned before in this thread or maybe not, but you ladies should look it up, its really informative. I actually looked at a presentation by this same doctor on youtube, its like 45 to 55 mintues. Its really interesting and actually is a informative intro to his book. He talks about diet and chemicals and everything else. Just search for his name and the presentation for 45 to 55 mins (don't remember exactly). 

• lago

I think stress is a huge factor that they just don't know how to measure. I mean my MIL ate crappy,  processed and unhealthy food as well as smoked all the time. Lived with her sister who also smoked all the time. It was so bad that the last 5 years she lived I never went into their condo. She lived to 86. Died of lung cancer but no breast cancer.

But she didn't drink. Granted I was never much of a drinker either. (Typically luminal B breast cancer doesn't drink so I gues that fits with my diagnosis).

I'm not saying environment isn't a factor but my MIL had a pretty stress-less life.

• jackboo09
    jackboo09 Member Posts: 780

Soltantio: On Herceptin and weight, I have just noticed that I have put weight on since I finished Herceptin in May. I think this is because I had mild digestion issues during each tx. These are just my personal observations. I did TCH chemo and I lost half a stone, yet I know some ladies put on weight with chemo.There doesn't seem to be any logic to it! Good luck with the rest of your treatment. Hope I didn't freak you out, just my observations!

• ashla

Lago ....on the subject of stress..

Stress fuels breast cancer metastasis to bone

IMAGE: Preston Campbell, left, and Florent Elefteriou, Ph.D., in the Vanderbilt Center for Bone Biology. The researchers report in PLoS Biology that stress fuels breast cancer cell metastasis to bone, and...

Stress can promote breast cancer cell colonization of bone, Vanderbilt Center for Bone Biology investigators have discovered.

The studies, reported July 17 in PLoS Biology, demonstrate in mice that activation of the sympathetic nervous system – the "fight-or-flight" response to stress – primes the bone environment for breast cancer cell metastasis. The researchers were able to prevent breast cancer cell lesions in bone using propranolol, a cardiovascular medicine that inhibits sympathetic nervous system signals.

Metastasis – the spread of cancer cells to distant organs, including bone – is more likely to kill patients than a primary breast tumor, said Florent Elefteriou, Ph.D., director of the Vanderbilt Center for Bone Biology.

"Preventing metastasis is really the goal we want to achieve," he said.

Elefteriou and his colleagues knew from their previous studies that the sympathetic nervous system stimulated bone remodeling, and that it used some of the same signaling molecules that have been implicated in breast cancer metastasis to bone.

"We came to the hypothesis that sympathetic activation might remodel the bone environment and make it more favorable for cancer cells to metastasize there," Elefteriou said.

Evidence from the clinic supported this notion. Breast cancer patients who suffered from stress or depression following their primary treatment had shorter survival times. Both stress and depression activate the sympathetic nervous system.

To explore this possible link, the researchers studied cancer cell metastasis in mice. They followed fluorescently "tagged" human breast cancer cells that were injected into the mouse heart to model the stage of metastasis when breast cancer cells leave the primary site and move through the circulation.

They found that treating the mice with a drug that mimics sympathetic nervous system activation caused more cancer lesions in bone. Using physical restraint to stress the mice and activate the sympathetic nervous system also caused more cancer lesions in bone. Treating the restrained mice with propranolol, one of a family of blood pressure medicines called "beta-blockers," reduced the number of bone lesions.

The investigators demonstrated that sympathetic nervous system activation increases bone levels of a signaling molecule called RANKL, which is known to promote the formation of osteoclasts – bone cells that break down bone tissue. RANKL has also been implicated in cell migration, and Elefteriou and colleagues were able to show that breast cancer cell migration to the bone depends on RANKL.

The findings suggest that beta-blockers or drugs that interfere with RANKL signaling, such as denosumab, may be useful in preventing breast cancer cell metastasis to bone. Propranolol and other beta-blockers are inexpensive, well characterized, and safe in most patients. They may be a good choice for long-term treatment if future studies in patients with breast cancer confirm their ability to block cancer cell metastasis to bone, Elefteriou said.

"If something as simple as a beta blocker could prevent cancer metastasis to bone, this would impact the treatment of millions of patients worldwide," he said."

Efforts to reduce stress and depression in patients with cancer may have unappreciated benefits in terms of metastasis prevention, he added."

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2012-07/vumc-sfb071212.php

• lago

Ashla thanks but like I said I didn't need a study to tell me that. Too bad we can't just drink a few glasses of red wine to get rid of the stress… and on real bad days a couple of shots of tequila Tongue out

Interesting that study was just recently released

• ashla

Lago....

I agree completely..

I know....not think....that unrelenting stress contributed to my cancer. I hesitated posting that because all of us who have faced cancer have the most horrendous levels of stress . But it may just serve as a reminder to all of us to change the way we live going forward to remove as much of the poisons of stress as humanly possible.

Plus..they're saying beta blockers may help. As much as I hate to add meds..this one may be worth pursuing. gonna ask my mo.

• dancetrancer
    dancetrancer Member Posts: 2,461

soyandpepper - I agree - Dr. Schreiber is fantastic in both his book and his videos.  Well worth looking into - really educational and helpful to me.  

ashla - I agree with the stress factor.  I'm really trying to add meditation and/or yoga into my lifestyle on a regular basis.  The mind-body connection should not be underestimated. 

• geewhiz
    geewhiz Member Posts: 671

Thanks for all the well wishes for my sis in law.

I agree with the stress factor. Weeks before my diagnosis, my father in law passed from a lengthy horrible illness. My husband was his primary caretaker, while also working full time and managing his fathers large business. I had also been going through horrendous political drama with the nonprofit I ran. I remember 6 weeks before my diagnosis sitting in bed and looking at my husband telling him, " I have never in my life been more physically and mentally drained". Next month...BOOM. Cancer.

I know they say cancer can build, etc. But a recent mammo had been completely clear. Even after my biopsy and mri, the cancer was growing like wildfire. The images are shocking. I think there is a multitude of factors that created mine.

Having another grim diagnosis hit home is an eye-opener. Funny you mention the Anti-Cancer book...its my Bible. I got a bag together and gave a copy to sis for her to read as soon as the world stops spinning for her. I eat SO much better now, and the yoga and running help me keep life in perspective. I agree, it is all about mind/body. I hate cancer, not EVER going to be someone who is "thankful" for it (are those people psycho?), but I do feel better than I ever remember feeling.

• arlenea

Well, I actually didn't have anything stressful happen to me that I think would have contributed.  We did move cross country and I quit my job but both of those things were happy events, at least I thought so and now here we are back from where we started.  We all pretty much know that stress is bad for the body all the way around and lord we've been put to the maximum stress level going through the bc journey.

Weight?  I too am putting on weight and I've always been thin.  I think the ALs are doing it to me so I've become very aggressive with more workouts and less food.  I think because I lost (not much) weight during chemo and had no taste buds for quite some time, when my taste buds came back, I began over-eating.  I'm on it now.

I hate to say it but as wonderful as these studies are, I have quit reading a lot of them because I find they stress me.  I also have the Anti-Cancer book and found it quite frightening so never finished it.

Just need to lead life to the fullest and try to eat really well (which I've always pretty much done anyhow). 

That's just my take on it for me!

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938

Well, actually in my life, it had gotten less stressful before my Dx. Of course, since my Dx, my stress level.has, um, gone up a bit. LOL, all right, a lot! LOL. My life was extremiely stressful for years and years. I remember taking a stress producing level quiz in a class and I scored just about the highest in the class. but I was so used to it, it was'nt stressful. LOL so all we can do is try to take easy day by day. good luck to all.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,253

geewhiz - sorry to hear about your SIL, such a difficult dx.

I have not yet fully read Dr. Servan-Schreiber's book.  If outliving his own prognosis is any indication of his ideas, his work is valuable to all of us.  Sadly, he lost his own battle just over a year ago.

• TonLee
    TonLee Member Posts: 1,589

GeeW, so sorry about your SIL diagnosis.   How awful for your family.

Ok here's my two cents.  My cousin (10 years older) and I have the exact same cancer, in the exact same spot..diagnosed 12 months apart.  First BC in the family.  Two completely different backgrounds.  I don't think I'm buying any of the "This causes cancer" stuff anymore.  There are just too many variables.  I think it is ultimately a combination of things up to and including genetics.

I know too many very fit women, who have been vegans and whole food eaters their entire lives with cancer.  If food was the key, they simply wouldn't have it.  So not buying the diet thing either.....because frankly, look at this country and all the obese people in it.  If bad diet caused cancer, then it'd be as prolific as obesity.  And it's not.  And it would be increasing to an alarming extent in children as they are the fastest growing demographic of obesity.

And all the women I started tx with, or who was in tx when I started at my center are life long ATHLETES!!  Not a fatty among them.  As is my cousin.  So, I just don't buy it.  I understand why people want to believe it.  Food is something we can control.  But I think it's whistling dixie at this point.

Also, I felt my lump.  You could see it when I stretched or lay down. The mammo never showed it.  Ever.  The US did tho, very clearly.

• lago

Technically they really don't know what causes cancer. There are some common factors but just because your fit your'e not safe… and just because you're unfit and overweight doesn't mean your doomed.

linkie  

• TonLee
    TonLee Member Posts: 1,589

Ok, wanted this to be a separate post.  I don't have lots of time.  Catching up on the homefront.

I mentioned I had the ear of a professional dietitian, "A", last week.  He stayed with me for a couple days....family friend.  Wow, the stuff I learned!

Anyway, the biggest thing I wanted to pass along is a product made by Abbott that he recommends so much, that he joked he should be a rep.  He not only explained the science behind it at the MOLECULAR LEVEL..., but has witnessed the benefits in a professional environment.

One of my personal complaints about chemo and instant menopause is what it has done to my muscles.  Now I've had reconstruction and am looking at 4-6 weeks minimum of no upper body workouts.  I'm sure all of you know, even with weight bearing exercise during chemo, there is significant muscle erosion/loss.  Add menopause to that, and the rest of our lives it is a fighting battle to keep what we have left!

A introduced me to Abbott.  The company has a health care line and a sports nutrition line they just purchased in the last couple years (EAS).  He "prescribes" (you can buy it over the counter) JUVEN (Walgreens by the Boost and Ensure) or EAS MUSCLE ARMOR (Same exact thing but on the sports side of the house) at GNC and some Mejiers, to any patient that has to stop activity because of illness or surgery, or anyone taking chemo/herceptin.

It comes in powder form, you mix with water.  I have the Juven right now, and it is 80 calories a serving, and you should take it twice a day if not doing weight bearing exercise for whatever reason.  (I'd recommend the EAS MUSCLE ARMOR, in the long run it is cheaper.  Juven was the first thing I found.)

He explained the molecular science behind it, but frankly it was WAY over my head.  In the end, this stuff keeps you from losing the muscle you already have, or from losing anymore.  Muscle is important for burning calories....so the less muscle you have, the less calories you need.

Not only did he know the science behind it, but actually observes the results.  He said when one of his patients is in chemo, can't work out, or bed ridden, he prescribes Juven (or Muscle Armor) two times a day.  He is keeping a record of muscle loss in the patients who do it, and those who don't.   

This is NOT a protein powder drink. 

It can get pricey.  A week (twice a day) is about $18-$20.  He recommends this while on chemo, Herceptin, AND rads even if you are working out.  Once all the active tx stops, he recommends taking it at least once a day for life...

Right now in his professional literature there are articles on this product, the importance of it, and how they'd like to get it prescribed by Oncs when chemo starts, but that's a whole other topic.

The downside is...like most vitamins, you can't "see" the benefit....until you do.  I'm taking it right now, and will let you all know if it seems to preserve my muscle mass.  I know my body very well and know where it should be strength wise after 4 weeks of downtime.

Try it or don't.  I just wanted to pass this on.  Especially for you ladies in chemo right now.  Wish I knew about it then.  If you try it...let me know...I'd like to compare notes.

Edited to add....if you are already taking some or all of these supplements...GOOD FOR YOU!  I take all but one, but he encouraged me to take them TOGETHER if I decide to go on my own supplement mix. 

• arlenea

Welcome home TonLee!!!

Touche' TonLee and Lago.  ONCE again, it is all a crapshoot.  I so hope some day they find the link!  We need that one scientist who finds it and it gets out.  So hate to be negative, but cancer is BIG business.  We have an onco here who prays that someone takes him out of business some day!  I know there is a big link there somewhere!!!

TonLee - sounds like a great product!  How does it taste?  I'm so bad with things that taste or smell bad.  I keep putting off my colon test because of the horrible tasting prep.  :)

Hey SpecialK:  Didn't realize he lost the battle!  Sad, sad! 

• specialk

Arlene - my DH combined his colonoscopy prep with Crystal Light powder - said it actually tasted good!  Of course, he is a nut so factor that in!  Dr. Schreiber was cnsidered terminally ill when he was dx'ed but he managed to live for 20 years, so whatever he was doing it seemed to work fairly well.

tonlee - I took the L-Glutamine during chemo for neuropathy prevention, but I will try the muscle armor now that I am back to working out.  I really noticed the muscle loss because of all the surgery I had.  Glad you are home and doing well!  Did you ever find a skinny margarita?

• arlenea

Thanks SpecialK:  I'll ask about the Crystal Light...anything to make it taste better.  I think at 50 when I did it, I used ginger ale...too long ago to really remember.  It is that nasty salty taste that makes you want to barf.  Wow, 20 years - I'm guessing something he was studying was working and while I really believe he was onto something, I just couldn't finish the book.  Perhaps, I should go back to it now that I'm finished with all treatments (except the Al).

• specialk

arlene - the prep he mixed with the Crystal Light was this:

http://www.halflytely.com/about-halflytely.htm

• lago

Gee I wish I though about crystal light. I'm sure they don't want you using any red or orange colored flavors though. Hopefully I'll remember that one in 8.5 years from now.

----------------------------------------

IMO cancer has several switches in several combinations that can be turned on. So maybe there are 10 switches and if you have 7 turned on your body then starts a cancer growing. Maybe that's why that old Russian smokes but still lives to be 100 with no lung cancer.

We shouldn't ignored some of the recommendations because they might be some of those switches. Fewer switches turned on the better. At the same time we shouldn't drive ourselves crazy. We still need to live and enjoy life. 

• specialk

lago -I think he used the lemonade flavor.  I seem to remember my instructions (I did pill prep) were nothing blue or red.  I agree with your switch idea - born with some, others created or influenced by our individual environmental exposures, food (pesticides/fertilizers), health habits and medical history - or some combination of those.  I think the Dr. Susan Love Army of Women idea is good because they are tracking factors before a dx to try to understand more about why breast cancer forms.

• jackboo09
    jackboo09 Member Posts: 780

Have any of you seen Thatgirl's post about chemotherapy on the clinical trials and research thread. This `story` was also on the news when I booted up google this morning. Yikes!

• nancedawg
    nancedawg Member Posts: 61

What kind of study are you on?