Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

TRIPLE POSITIVE GROUP

Comments

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    TonLee - My LE therapist didn't do any snapping, she was very gentle with the cords.
  • lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

TonLee my PS said they could snap on their own. I had the same reaction. He said it wasn't a problem. I'm back doing PE Monday after being released in February (per PS instructions this time). LE not acting up but pec muscles and cords tightened again. I think it was the  last 3-4 expansions that did this. One of the stretches I used to do I can't anymore. I pull my arm out every time so I stopped that one.

I have yet to reach full range. I assume it will happen once this last surgery is done and healed. I feel I'm almost there then I do another treatment and got 2 steps back. Frustrating.

• TonLee
    TonLee Member Posts: 1,589

Lago,

I think the TEs are very uncomfortable.  I have an implant on my healthy side and it is so much better.  I can't even tell it is there, but I still have Mondor cording from the incision (in the crease beneath) from where it was put in....

• TonLee

Thanks Hillck,

I am hoping so too!! 

• meglove
    meglove Member Posts: 105

Tonlee, my onc said the tumor is too small to do a biopsy so he will check it after one month.

I came across this article about omega 3 and tamoxifen so would like to share with you. I did not see organic eggs with omega 3, so the best form would be to take fish oil capsules?

April 08/Hershey, Pa./Fish Information & Services -- Researchers have found that omega-3 fatty acids could safely bolster tamoxifen therapy for women suffering from breast cancer. Omega-3s seemed to have a beneficial effect at the genetic level, making tumors more susceptible to the medication.

A research team led by Dr. Andrea Manni of Pennsylvania State University conducted an experiment on rats by provoking mammary tumors and then dividing the rats into four groups. For a period of eight weeks, the researchers fed the rats a 17% fish oil diet, with or without tamoxifen, or a 20% corn oil diet, with or without tamoxifen.

Tamoxifen is a drug used to treat breast cancer and slash the risk of breast cancer in women at increased risk of developing the condition. The drug interferes with the activity of the female hormone estrogen, said director of the Breast Cancer Research Laboratory at Fox Chase Cancer Centre Dr. Jose Russo, one of the researchers in the study.

The researchers concluded that rats fed omega-3 fatty acids had lower cancer severity compared to the groups fed corn oil. They also found that a diet that combined fish oil and tamoxifen cut the expression of genes known to produce tumor growth and the spread of cancerous cells, reports United Press International.

When analyzing the tumors, results showed that the omega-3 fatty acids in the fish oil administered to the rats boosted the activity of genes that encourage cellular specialization, or differentiation. This activity indicates a cancer-fighting effect, as cancer cells are greatly undifferentiated.

"If a tumor was being treated with tamoxifen, the addition of an omega-3 fatty acid diet seemed to make the tumor, at least at the molecular level, more benign and less aggressive and responsive to tamoxifen," Russo stated.

At the same time, scientists warned that more studies are warranted to look into the effects of fish oil on the immune system. While omega-3 fatty acids strengthened genes active in immune defenses against cancer, they also appeared to set off genes that trigger negative immune responses -- including inflammation and allergic reactions -- which can themselves elicit cancer.

The team's findings were presented at the 102nd annual meeting of the American Association for Cancer Research in Orlando, Fla.

The researchers are now studying whether a diet containing omega-3 fatty acids can avert breast cancer in animals and diet's effect on breast cancer risk in women, reports ScienceDaily.

, my onc said the tumor is too small to have a biopsy now so he will check later.

I came across this research news today so would like to share with you, Is organic eggs fortified with omega 3? so the best form would be to take omega 3 fish oil capsules?

April 08/Hershey, Pa./Fish Information & Services -- Researchers have found that omega-3 fatty acids could safely bolster tamoxifen therapy for women suffering from breast cancer. Omega-3s seemed to have a beneficial effect at the genetic level, making tumors more susceptible to the medication.

A research team led by Dr. Andrea Manni of Pennsylvania State University conducted an experiment on rats by provoking mammary tumors and then dividing the rats into four groups. For a period of eight weeks, the researchers fed the rats a 17% fish oil diet, with or without tamoxifen, or a 20% corn oil diet, with or without tamoxifen.

Tamoxifen is a drug used to treat breast cancer and slash the risk of breast cancer in women at increased risk of developing the condition. The drug interferes with the activity of the female hormone estrogen, said director of the Breast Cancer Research Laboratory at Fox Chase Cancer Centre Dr. Jose Russo, one of the researchers in the study.

The researchers concluded that rats fed omega-3 fatty acids had lower cancer severity compared to the groups fed corn oil. They also found that a diet that combined fish oil and tamoxifen cut the expression of genes known to produce tumor growth and the spread of cancerous cells, reports United Press International.

When analyzing the tumors, results showed that the omega-3 fatty acids in the fish oil administered to the rats boosted the activity of genes that encourage cellular specialization, or differentiation. This activity indicates a cancer-fighting effect, as cancer cells are greatly undifferentiated.

"If a tumor was being treated with tamoxifen, the addition of an omega-3 fatty acid diet seemed to make the tumor, at least at the molecular level, more benign and less aggressive and responsive to tamoxifen," Russo stated.

At the same time, scientists warned that more studies are warranted to look into the effects of fish oil on the immune system. While omega-3 fatty acids strengthened genes active in immune defenses against cancer, they also appeared to set off genes that trigger negative immune responses -- including inflammation and allergic reactions -- which can themselves elicit cancer.

The team's findings were presented at the 102nd annual meeting of the American Association for Cancer Research in Orlando, Fla.

The researchers are now studying whether a diet containing omega-3 fatty acids can avert breast cancer in animals and diet's effect on breast cancer risk in women, reports ScienceDaily.

• omaz

Have you all seen this paper?

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1524-4741.2009.00822.x/pdf

Check out the survival for the triple positive group. Figure 2 shows triple positive survival over 90% at 5 years. Better than I was told when I started all this.  I am reading the article now.

• geewhiz
    geewhiz Member Posts: 671

Oh wow Omaz....I would love to read this, but can't access it. It stops me and wants me to purchase the article. Is it something that can be cut and pasted, or perhaps I am doing something wrong?

• lago

I had the same problem even after I registered.

• omaz

this is a newer article from the same group, see if you can access this one.

http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1471-2407-10-228.pdf

• geewhiz

I found the full article by googling the exact title. I see the chart, but have no clue how to interpret those stats....the confidence interval, p values etc.

I'm on my iPad right now, otherwise Id add a link.

• omaz

The confidence intervalsortof  tells you about the accuracy of the estimate. So from table 2 the 5-year cumulative survival for triple pos is 91.3% with a 95%CI of 89.9 to 92.7.  So the real estimate of 5-year survival is somewhere between those two numbers if you repeated the test.

Table 4 is kindof weird because it is the risk for the different types of tumors bsed on the patient characteristics.  Does that make sense?

• geewhiz

Yes, thanks. Those numbers are about what I have read for my absurd amount of positive nodes. Sure wish I had been able to catch it earlier!! Those early stage triple positive results look fabulous!!

• omaz
    geewhiz - how did you find your tumor?  Good that they got all the nodes out.  Chemo will get anything that might be left!  Even having negative nodes is not a pass on anything for HER2+ because cells can get away from the tumor through the blood.  I think that is the assumption my onc works from and uses all the availble treatments for node negative patients.!
  • geewhiz

Thanks Omaz. A mammogram caught it. I skipped one year..wished I hadn't! I was only 41 so thought I was fine! I couldn't feel a thing...even when I knew where to press around after diagnosis. Even the lymph nodes the surgeon told me prior to surgery would be benign, because none felt enlarged to him. NOPE!! What a shocker diagnosis to wake up to!! I often wonder if the biopsy techniques didn't fire up the nodes. I had a month wait from the biopsy to the mastectomy. I have read studies about biopsy causing the cancer cells to disperse.

• TonLee

Gee,

It's called "seeding" (cancer spreading because of biopsy).  My Onc Surgeon said it doesn't happen, research dosen't support it, when I asked him about it before my biopsy. 

Are you having radiation?

• lago

geewhiz don't feel bad about missing 1 mammo. They might have missed it the year before. They missed mine 2 years in a row even when 4 years prior I had a scare in the same spot… Look how big my tumor was. IF you include the DCIS part of the tumor probably more like 6.5cm. Granted I do believe they should have found it at least a year earlier.

I had no indication node involvement but my BS really thought there would be based on the size of my tumor. At least micromets. He pretty much thought I would be a stage IIIA as well.  Strange how these things work. You have a smaller lower grade tumor that got into the nodes, I had a much larger high grade tumor that didn't. No wonder why this disease is so confusing. There is just no rhyme or reason as to how it behaves. 

• geewhiz

Thanks guys.

One thing that holds me together is a dear friend who is my age and is 6 years out from a triple pos stage 3c diagnosis. She is doing really well. She made huge changes in her lifestyle. Her food is all about 60% organic. She juices and adds greens powder daily. If she eats any meat which is seldom, it's hormone free. She doesn't do dairy. She walks every night and she is militant about lotions and cleaning potions being of the right kind. She has done lots of work studying endocrine disruptors, etc. She still loves an occasional glass of red wine. I am glad I have her to hold up as an example!!

And yes I did rads. I finished that last summer. I actually got several opinions on them, went to Sloan kettering in NYC, had a wonderful time on the trip. I hated rads more than chemo I think!

• omaz
    geewhiz - Why no dairy?  I would hate to give up yogurt!
  • lago
    Omaz I think the issue with dairy is estrogen. Even if the animals are not given hormones there will always be some estrogen in dairy. At least that's my understanding. I still eat goat cheese in my salads and yogurt.
  • omaz
    lago - I love goat yogurt!
  • omaz

Would estrogen survive intact through the acid in the stomach? Nevermind, realized it is a dumb question because of birth control pills.

• lago

Hmm never had goat yogurt. Must try. I love goat cheese.

There is even concern that we are getting too much estrogen, antibiotics or other drugs because people pee them out or toss their pills down the drain and it gets into the water system.

Not sure if it's a problem or not though. I think the reports are conflicting as usual.

• omaz

Lago - This is my favorite goat yogurt.

http://www.redwoodhill.com/virtual/tour-our-farm

• lago

Oh and it's Kosher too. Tongue out So I'm going to have to go to whole foods to buy it. I've been avoiding that place since they are so expensive. It's a 6 times a year visit for me.

I wonder if these goats make goat yogurt?

• omaz

OMG!!!  Those little goats are SOOO cute!!!

• geewhiz

Hilarious goats. I have taken my kids to a big petting zoo nearby numerous times with baby goats...they knock each other over to get to you trying to eat anything in sight...very aggressive little buggers.

It's true what you say Lago about the antibiotics etc, in our water supply. There are studies that show how it differs from community to community. I have a little gizmo that checks parts per million of foreign material in water. My tap is 60 ppm and my refrigerator with water filter is 35 ppm and my reverse osmosis gets it down to 5ppm. Slightly freaky to think of what that extra 55 ppm is in my tap!

• saralmom
    saralmom Member Posts: 216

All this talk of dairy and estrogen makes me lean even more toward trying to go vegan.  I think it would be soooo hard, but in my head I wonder if it would be best.  Anyone doing that?

(I love goat cheese too!) 

• lago

Remember though getting rid of dairy you need to think about other sources of vitamin D. I'm taking supplements but I'm sure I get some from the foods I eat (yogurt, goat cheese, fish). If you're on Als you really need to watch our bone health… but even going through chemo-pause you need to watch this. I believe women lose a lot of bone density right after menopause.

• sydneybased
    sydneybased Member Posts: 27

Yes, although vegan with fish - in other words, dairy free. Reading Professor Jane Plant's Your Life in Your Hands, which associates dairy consumption with breast cancer was enough to convince me. It's very well researched and the arguments are believable and evidence-based. Goats and sheeps milk products are in the same category as cow's milk - to be avoided (according to Jane Plant). This book is also good at putting soy consumption in perspective.

• nmoss1000
    nmoss1000 Member Posts: 324

Hi ladies, over the past 4-5 years, I have been a vegan and pescatatarian (vegan w/ fish) and until my first chemo I was dairy free for over 10 years and I am still here will. Since I found out about the cancer I dramatically changed my diet to overcompensate for what nutrients the chemo is stripping away. I eat all organic and whole foods only, the motto is if it didn't have a mom or come from the ground it can be eaten. I eat a small portion of Greek yogurt daily and the probiotic in it has really helped my with not having any severe GI problems and probably soothes the digestion track. Plus its super high in protein. I have also increased my protein intake, I eat rare to Med red meat 2-3 times per week, always grass fed and local. On other days its fish or chicken. I also juice every other day. And since chemo killed my taste for sugar I make a huge batch of roasted veg or kale chips and eat those all day. All this to say, I think diet affects each person individually and I Personally chose to eat based on treatment not the disease for now at least. Once I get past this TX phase then I will modify again.