Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

TRIPLE POSITIVE GROUP

Comments

• MsTori
    MsTori Member Posts: 298

Moon- does it matter if they give the extra fluids during or after the chemo? They hung mine while my taxotere was infusing. Is it better to get toward the end of treatment or does it matter?

Also, I had my first toss and turn hot flash night. Before chemo, I rarely had sleep issues, even up to last night. Up till 2am or that's the last I looked at the clock. Meh! Is this hormonal and is there something I can takers help sleep? I'm 8 days post chemo #3. I am starting to have some hot flashes.

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Ms Tori get a fan and put it by your bed. If you have trouble fallinlg back to bed get a sleep mask. I know I started doing that this spring and it's made a world of difference. Much easier to fall back to sleep.

• LeeA
    LeeA Member Posts: 1,092

Thanks for the tip, lago.  Like you, I've never been impressed with Mederma. 

• Pbrain
    Pbrain Member Posts: 773

Cypher, I was really following the Weight Watchers program and was even shooing the flies away from my eyes and going to bed early because I was out of points.  My brother and his wife are lifetime members and they call "bed" the instant points generator.  Go to sleep, wake up, poof 28 more points!  

So I really don't know.  My tumor was only 1.3 cm.  Think that is enough to make it easier to lose weight?

Picked up my potassium and took 2 senakote.  Aye yi yi, the trials and tribulations of bowels on chemo!!!

• ashla
    ashla Member Posts: 1,566

Remember when we got together with the girls and talked about boys?

• MsTori
    MsTori Member Posts: 298

Thanks Lago! I have a fan on and also a ceiling fan. But haven't tried the sleep mask. I remember now, you mentioned it in a earlier post and I actually bookmarked it the brand. I do need it completely dark to sleep.

• lago

Ashla we talked about boobs too. At least that hasn't changed Tongue Out

• bren58
    bren58 Member Posts: 688

But how sad that we have replaced boys with poop!

• lago

Many of you replaced boys with poop a long time ago. You have kids or fur babies. Amazed at how many of my friends talked about their pet's shit issues.

• Pbrain
    Pbrain Member Posts: 773

Ashia, you crack me up!!!!

• cypher
    cypher Member Posts: 447

Pbrain, I have no idea about the weight loss and cancer thing.  TonLee posted a bunch of stuff on it and it was somewhat over my head.  You’re definitely in a position to evaluate it better…  The sleep thing makes sense – I tend to snack a lot before I go to bed, which I know is bad.  But I can’t go to bed on an empty stomach!  I won’t sleep.  That’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it.

• LindaKR
    LindaKR Member Posts: 1,304

Thank you soccermom!!!!

You are all sooo funny this morning. 

We could talk about boys on here, not like this hasn't effected our sex life Embarassed and not because of our lack of boobs - I think it's more from our lack of female hormones Cry (I'm pretty sure this emoticon should say hot flashes, or maybe the one on the line above instead of cry and embarrased)

Hope you all have a great weekend.

• LeeA

ashla - LOL!  

• LeeA

MsTori - Have you tried melatonin yet? 

Also, adding another lol @ lago and "talking about boobs." 

Hmmm... sitting here thinking - I don't recall ever having many if any sleeping hot flashes during menopause or premenopause.  I wonder if that's because I over-produced (?) estrogen.  I'm nine years post-menopause and my estrogen receptors were pretty strong but not sure if that has anything to do with it.

The MO asked about, um, vaginal dryness, which I've never had a problem with (ack - TMI). He kind of acted like that had meaning.  (ack II, I ended a sentence with a preposition).

Anyway, he made the proposition that vaginal dryness or the lack thereof might be proof of the fact that I'm still hormonally active at some level.  

• Jennt28
    Jennt28 Member Posts: 1,095

I like boys... oops, men.... oops, my one man :-) He seems to still like me too :-)

Um, I got advice to "use it or lose it". Have taken this very seriously over the past months and have noticed that "things" are becoming easier to use.

Wonder if I've ever used that many """"""'s in one post before!

Jenn

• ashla

My best friend's female gyn told her years ago to use it or lose it. Apparently they can tell by looking at your ....... The doctor said " go shopping". You should " go shopping more often!"

My gyn said I have a 'compliant' uterus. WTF?

• LindaKR

What the heck is a compliant uterus??????

• ashla

Please...don't tell me. I took it as a compliment!

• LindaKR

Laughing 

• FeelingtheMagic
    FeelingtheMagic Member Posts: 103

I really must pop in here more. 1. you are all hysterical and so good at lifting each other's spirits. 2. occasional pop ins make it hard to figure out conversations about poop, boys, rabbit turds, etc. Ha!

Love the "MY house was clean last week..." post.  I'm on a mission to clean my house this weekend. (has seriously not been a priority) Getting energy back after chemo finished, and brain seems so much like the one I used to have. Doing okay on herceptin. Swelling thought to be allergies, might in fact be lymphodema, but in the neck. Anyone heard of that? More docs next week to decide diagnosis. Am meant to start tamoxifen .. like.. a week ago, but wanted to enjoy this high of 'feeling normal' first. 

I worked on my novel all of November. (nanowrimo project - 50 000 words in a month. I was in the rebel group.. rewriting, rather than a brand new novel)  So, this last few days I'm reading my rewrite, and am stunned by the number of short sentences.  I do recall reading the original and oft thinking, "Will that period never arrive?"  The good news about all of this is that obviously my brain is functioning better, because at least I now realize the short sentences are too short. Hope tamoxifen doesn't make my brain think in short sentences, as I once again redo this book! 

May the humour be with you!  It's December.. may the magic also be with you.

Janet

• LeeA

ashla, I will have you know that there are 35 google hits for "compliant uterus" in quotation marks (yes, I had to look). 

jenn, in the absence of face to face winks, quotation marks work quite well for innuendo.  Laughing

feelingthemagic, good news on what sounds to be a lifting of chemobrain. 50,000 words in a month - wow!  That's a lotta short sentences!  I think my husband had a goal like that at one time. 

lindakr, sometimes an emoticon is worth 1,000 words.

• eileenohio
    eileenohio Member Posts: 268

Wow, Maybe you guys know this but I am shocked.I just read that a baseball player was suspended for taking Tamoxifen as a performance enhancing susbtance,it also says that tamoxifen reduces the side effects of steroids. I am going to ask my MO about this..It scares me..

• TonLee
    TonLee Member Posts: 1,589

Eileen,

Some competitive weight lifters who use steroids often take Tamoxifen to eliminate the breast boosting effect of steroids.

Tamoxifen has a few other uses as well.  It is used to treat people who are bi-polar.  It is also used to enhance fertility in women.

But those are the only uses I know about.

• eileenohio
    eileenohio Member Posts: 268

TonLee,   Thanks for the info.  I am really surprised to learn that one medicine can be used for so many things.

• LindaKR

Weight lifters also take AI's to help, I think, with the muscle building.

• LeeA

And from what I've read, Wellbutrin aka Bupropion possibly interferes with the efficacy of Tamoxifen.

• cypher

TonLee, tamoxifen increases fertility in women?  This confuses me.

• cypher

kayb, thanks for the explanation.  I have a question--some have noted that adding a saline drip to the chemo, or slowing down the herceptin (does that entail adding more saline to the drip?) -- sometimes seems to help with the side effects.  I'm trying to figure out how this can be the case and not make the chemo less effective against the cancer cells-- I mean if it's less toxic to healthy cells, why isn't it less toxic to the baddies?  I don't have a science background like some of you ladies.  Thanks. 

• LindaKR

During chemo - your meds were in separate bags than the fluids (Saline or....) The pharmacy mixes the pre meds and meds and sends them to the chemo room.  They would turn the fluids down or off while delivering the meds. 

So this is kind of how it works - There is X amount of med to be delivered over a certain time period - like (these aren't the exact numbers), but say you are getting 150cc's of Herceptin delivered in 1/2 hour, they can slow the drip down so that it takes 90 minutes to administer, so instead of 150cc's per 1/2 hour you will be getting 50cc's per 1/2 hour (make sense so far?), but still getting the full 150cc's. You are getting the same amount of medication it's just going in to your body at different speeds.  They've found that if they administer some drugs slower you will get less side effects.  Just like having 3 drinks in 1/2 hour compared to 3 drinks in 1 1/2 hours gives a different effect on your body.  I got pretty bad headaches from herceptin (nothing that tylenol didn't help), while I was receiving herceptin weekly they gave it over 30 minutes, one week they thought that I was on the every 3 week regimen so set it to deliver over 90 minutes - that time I did not get a headache.  Be sure to let the chemo nurses know if you are experiencing any weird things while receiving your meds, I've seen them slow it down for nausea, flushing, allergic reactions.....  So many times that's all it takes. 

That's probably as clear as mud, but .... at least I tried to explain it.  Let me know if you need me to clarify.

Linda

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711

I'm so behind--with a big one too, I might add) andy--I never knew about all this with the bodybuilders--Oh my stars.

"Compiant uteris" means u'r easy. LOL