Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

TRIPLE POSITIVE GROUP

Comments

• Amy4978
    Amy4978 Member Posts: 33

I def got a good dose of steroids today plus I take decadron orally the night before. So Im right there with you lol

I'm 34 and feel like I'm 90 some days. I can not wait to start exercising again chemo has put 20 lbs on me :(

Great analogies ladies.. I like my MO but really wanted to drop kick her on this one! Makez me wonder if anyone in her family has ever had cancer... Just seemed so cold with no compassion.

Hopefully this benadryl will kick in soon....

• Bryona
    Bryona Member Posts: 28

For LeeA: Crack monkey

• LeeA
    LeeA Member Posts: 1,092

I was just reading about soursop the other day.  I had never heard of it. 

34 is an age that really stands out to me.  Granted, it was 20 years ago (so hard to believe so many years have gone by) but I was in the best shape (physically) I had ever been in in my entire life.

I had my first breast scare at 31 or 32.  I look back and wonder if there was anything there even way back then.  The radiologist at the breast center told me I had nothing to worry about because I had fibrocystic breasts and that meant LESS of a chance of having cancer.  Yes.  He really did say those exact words...

20 years later - cancer.  

I feel for you, Amy, going through all this with four kids who I'm guessing are fairly young.  More than that, I admire your strength! 

• LeeA

Bryona - LOLOL!  Exactly!

• cypher
    cypher Member Posts: 447

What?  Not supposed ot take biotin during chemo?  Not vit D?  Ruh roh, I took both.  The study people knew about it and so did my MO (at least the vit D) so … I’m surprised to read this.  Uh oh, I was dumping turmeric into my food during chemo.  Please tell me that dietary amounts wouldn’t do anything anyway?

LeeA, I didn’t realize day 1 (or D day as I called it) was yesterday.  Hope it went ok.  I guess we’ll see how ot goes.

Amy, your MO sounds like a total dipshit.  I did exercise all through chemo – though my workouts were fairly pitiful compared to prior – and I really do think it helped.  Of course, part of the reason I was able to exercise at all is that I didn’t feel violently ill and wasn’t flattened with fatigue except for a handful of days.  I did eat a TON of protein and took lots of supplements through it – I imagine that helped.  Also I might just have been lucky, in that sense.  Apparently it hits people different ways.  Anyway you showed great restraint in not decking her! 

• LeeA

cypher - maybe lago will have some words of wisdom on biotin.  I know she takes it. 

Yep, 1st chemo was yesterday.  I'm hoping these (2) 1 mg. Lunestas I just took will kick in soon!

Hope all is well with you!

• LindaKR
    LindaKR Member Posts: 1,304

Wow Amy!!! My MO explained that every treatment and every patient have different side effects, some women fly right through, others are kind of middle of the road, and others are still fighting side effects years later.  I know they don't want to tell you too much, just because everyone is different, but what your MO said - not so much, maybe she needs to take a class on survivorship, attend a support group, she might be surprised!!!!  After my first treatment I thought, this is a breeze, I should be able to work most of the time, but each treatment (for me) was harder.  I was actually afraid to walk, even around the block at times, because of weakness, lack of coordination - afraid that I would fall.  Yet I know others that pretty much kept up their old routines much of the time.  Ok - I'll stop ranting.  Should be sleeping, but it's one of those nights of pain and insomnia Undecided

My MO also let me continue on the D3 (mine was really low at the beginning though - 18), but other than multi's didn't really want me to take any supplements until after chemo. Wanted me to get my nutrients through foods - organic, wild caught, many colored, meats, fruits and vegetables.  All I seemed to want to eat was greens, tuna and yogurt.

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

steiner that's what I heard from this forum but I never confirmed it with my onc. It's because of increase chance of infection/bacterior but since I was on Nuelasta my onc might have said it was OK… so check with your onc.

• TonLee
    TonLee Member Posts: 1,589

Amy,

Your MO may deal with women who literally lay down when they find out they have cancer.  I was in tx with a lady, we took same chemo same day, so we became buddies.  She was fairly depressed about the cancer, and she would lay down every time she felt tired.  By the 6th TCH, she couldn't even walk up the stairs at the cancer center without stopping and out of breath.

I have to agree with whoever said exercise during chemo should be a priority.  And it's not just my opinion.  This is a fairly new field of study (as opposed to decades of Drs saying, rest, eat, sleep...) the newest research coming out of Harvard shows "resting" all the time is VERY detrimental to your overall health.  They recommend cutting back your pre-chemo exercise to 50% and then building it back up during tx.

I can say from experience there were literally days I had to pull myself up on the cross trainer, but every single time (barring two) by the end I had more energy, felt better, and for several hours it dissipated that "darkness" that seems to come a few days after chemo.  I don't think I could have survived chemo without working out.

Cypher,

There is conflicting research out on vitamins/supplements during chemo.  The very newest studies say they are fine.  I took all my normal supplements and even drank gallons of green tea while on chemo.  If your Onc/study knew about yours, and didn't say anything, than they are in the "no harm" camp.  I wouldn't worry about it.  It's done.

Also, could someone provide a link to the studies that say TCH is not effective for highly ER/PR women?  I have never run across that, and I'd like to review the study and research method :)

Plus, I think anytime a claim like that is made, we should post a link.  I know its tedious, but we get new ladies on here weekly, and if they read just that, without being able to see the study for themselves, maybe printing it out and taking it to the Onc, well, I think it might be very discouraging.  But maybe that is just me?

Anyway, thanks for the link(s) in advance!

t

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

I'll chime in with the exercise. I too read a recent article (was posted on BC.or main site) that said a study found those who exercised experienced less SE. I know I stopped/did much less after tx4. Wish I hadn't. I became so stiff… but I didn't sit and sleep all day either.

• beckstar18
    beckstar18 Member Posts: 97

Lee, if you want to read some good info on vitamin D3 check out the book Diabetes Rising by Dan Hurley.  There's a whole section in the book dedicated to it.  It's an easy (and really good!) read.

thanks everyone for chiming in about the exercise.  I actually felt yesterday like I wanted to but was afraid to over do it during treatment so I didn't!  I'm most worried about my heart/Herceptin.  I think after I get past the first EKG (post tx) and see that everything is looking okay I'll feel more confident overexerting myself.  That should be in a few weeks, but until then I'll definitely get some brisk walking in on a regular basis.

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218

Exercise - I made a path around our house (before chemo started) that I walked on days I couldn't be far from the bathroom.  Sometimes I went slowly but I went as much as a could.  It made me feel better.  

• Jennifer404
    Jennifer404 Member Posts: 133

Thank you all so much for your support. I called and spoke to the nurse a few minutes ago and she said the radiologists gave me a "normal" stamp of approval. No signs of malignancy anywhere. That being said...I will probably have another pet in my near future as a follow up. I feel relieved...well I will once my anxiety attack stops. Lol

• arlenea
    arlenea Member Posts: 1,150

I was part of an exercise trial during chemo until my EF started dropping and they thought it best I drop out but I continued to exercise; walked/jogged, biked, hiked and I definitely think it helped immensely.

I continued with my Vita D during chemo and now because without it my D drops low and just prior to diagnosis I found out I was extremely deficient in D which I believe was the case with a lot of us.

• Amy4978

Leea... Thanks for the kind words! It can be rough some days with 4 kids but they keep me so busy it def takes my mind off cancer...

Tonlee... I agree that exersice is a great thing. My DH is a personal trainer so we eat healthy and stay active its great for the mind and sole. I just have the hardest time thinking exercise is gonna relieve all the devistation chemo leaves on our bodies. But I do think just laying around 24/7 is no good either. You have to find your happy medium for sure.

Today the DH is taking me to see the Hobbit then a nice dinner at the outback best part No Kids! I def need a break from their Christmas break....lol

Founf out yesterday my oldest son(step) is leaving for the Marine Corp bootcamp monday! He wasnt suppose to leave till the 28th :/ ( his mom is a dumbass so he considerz me his momma) so very proud of him but scared for him as well. Please keep him in your prayers!

Def on a steroid high today with lovely rosy cheeks to match!

• LeeA

Aha! So that's what causes the rosy cheeks!

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218

I called it steroid red face.  Lasted about 24 hours for me.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,257

My hairdresser said to wait three weeks post-chemo to take the Biotin.  She said the effects of the chemo would counter the Biotin so taking it during chemo was a waste of money, but other than that I don't think it does any harm.

• chachamom
    chachamom Member Posts: 410

Congratulations, Jennifer!

• LindaKR
    LindaKR Member Posts: 1,304

Exercise - I tried to walk some every day, I'd start small and kind of add a block if I felt that I could keep going.  Also, went up and down our stairs a lot, even when not necessary, for those days that I didn't get out as much.  I developed drop foot for about a week between each chemo, so I was afraid of tripping when I was out walking.  It went away, but could depend on it from about day 3-10 each treatment - not sure what that was all about Surprised

• Msbelle
    Msbelle Member Posts: 160

Can't remember who posted a few pages back about their periods starting back but mine did too. The chemopause didn't last for me. They also monitored my hormone levels. My onc and gyn discussed it and I had a total hysterectomy 2 weeks ago. She removed it all. I actually feel good. This surgery was not bad at all. Started my Anastrozole back and surprisingly no SE this time so far. Hope it last. The way I see it is I don't have to worry about ovarian,cervical or uterine cancer now. Pathology report also clear. I had asked to have my ovaries removed when I had my DMX but was told not necessary. Starting my cycle back is what changed their minds.

• cypher

TonLee, great comments, as usual.  I would definitely have to push myself to get started exercising, but once I got going I could often do more than I had expected, and definitely felt better for it.  But I also wasn’t praying to the porcelain god 10 times a day…. 

Steiner, you should walk or do exercise if you feel like you can, it’s not going to hurt you.  Just stop if you’re feeling like it’s too much and be pretty unambitious in your goals.  I felt the worst after TX5 and I think it was because I didn’t go into it as strongly – hadn’t been as diligent about pushing myself exercise wise and wasn’t as diligent about what I was eating.  Once I was recovered enough from TX5 to eat normally and exercise more, I was very diligent about it.  TX6 wasn’t as bad.  Of course at that point I was DONE and was so thrilled  about that, I’m sure that gave me a boost!

Jennifer, great news!  Why do you think you need to keep having PET scans in the near future?  You don’t want too much of the radioactive stuff in you….

Amy, your onc certainly overestimates the benefit of exercise, but it is still very beneficial.  You’re young and were active before so you should recover pretty quickly.  I was making very distinct improvements in what I could do physically between PFC and starting rads.  Now I fatigue a bit more easily so I’m not really regaining for the time being.  (From just pre rads, not just PFC).

• Jennifer404
    Jennifer404 Member Posts: 133

Cypher, I am it sure but, I think that even though they ruled out cancer or suspect its not cancer...they might want to double check later. Like Lago said they did with hers. The dr has not told me I will need another scan and the nurse was not sure but did mention that there might be a follow up pet.

Guess I wil find out tues when I see the dr.

• TonLee
    TonLee Member Posts: 1,589

Another benefit to exercise during chemo....

Unlike the circulatory system that has the heart as a pump, the lymph system doesn't have a pump.  Moving muscles is what "massages" it through the body lol....exercise, moving, that is the only way to keep it circulating.

Even if your nodes were clear there is always a chance, tho small, there is cancer in the lymph system.  That is after all its job.  Exercising during chemo helps work it through your lymph system.

I pushed as hard as I could during chemo....it didn't hurt a bit.  My cardiologist was ok with it as well.

Exercise doesn't have to be a big program.  A walk around the house like Omaz, up and down steps, etc.  I did notice that if I did it first thing in the morning, it gave me more energy the rest of the day and really seemed to minimize SEs.

The days I felt least like working out, are the days I made myself do it.  Without exception I always ended up doing more than I thought I could do, and felt 100% better each time.

I focused on weight training and cardio both, tho I was much weaker, because I hoped to conserve some muscle.  Chemo is hard on muscles anyway, but once we hit menopause for real, our bodies are unable to create and maintain "quality" muscle (has to do with muscle fibers, basically need estrogen/progesteron).  I hoped to maintain so if I went into perm. menopause I'd be starting with quality muscle.

lol

I don't know if it worked.  I do know that I had 0 down time after chemo was over.  I was able to pick right back up and into a full workout within two weeks, probably sooner but I didn't want to push it.

• LeeA

My goal (I may have mentioned it on this thread or another) is to walk one mile a day during the month of January.  So far, so good.  If I drive to the gym I can use the outdoor track (which is what I did today) and the car is parked inside the perimeter of the track (in case I'd start feeling weird).  The track is flat and easy to walk with a nice view of the San Gabriel mountains, the distant skyline of LA, etc.  

I'm not sure if it's too lofty a goal but I'm going to try to do it.  

I used to do weight training in my thirties but now I mainly just walk.  Maybe one of these days I'll get back to strength training.  Ha, I do have one of those jiggly arm things!  Maybe when the stitches are out on my right "foob" I'll take that up again.  

I made the next appointment with the breast surgeon for three months.  He said three or six months but then kind of walked it back to three, which is fine.  I'll be seeing the PS in another two weeks at which time he says he'll remove the stitches (right side) and fill 'em up a bit more.  Right now I've got about 150 cc on the left and 50 cc on the right.  

Yesterday, I dubbed myself the ball of boobless fire (thanks to those intravenous steroids on Wednesday).  Today I feel less energetic but I had two doctors appointments and then went to the gym and walked.  I definitely haven't crashed yet.  I hope it doesn't happen when I'm driving!  Surprised*

*Linda, I liked your use of that emoticon re: the drop foot which, by the way, sounds kind of scary!  I take it you've never had it again since chemo??

• meglove
    meglove Member Posts: 105

I got my pathology report yesterday and felt a little down after reading it.

It turned out the fibroids (also called leiomyoma?) I had were much smaller than what showed on US. I had multiple "possible" fibroids from size 5x4 cm to 0.5x0.3cm. the US said 9.7x7.8x7.6. That was a shocker to me. The US showed almost identical results for entometrium thickness.

It seems one of my ovary had "possible" cyst on the surface, the cyst in the other ovary showed hemorrhagic material. What does this mean?

My gyn just checked me, and I got the report after we were done. So I did not get chance to talk with him about my questions. I will call my family doc to send a copy of the report to my Onc.

Although I regret a little about having both ovaries removed with no BRAC mutations, it seems I do have some issues with my ovaries??

• cypher

LeeA, whether it’s too lofty a goal or not depends on your prior state of fitness and how fast you want to go.  I managed to swim, hike, walk, and ride my bike during chemo, but I just went a lot slower, and sometimes not as far.  Most of the way through I felt up to swimming by Saturday (with a wed. chemo day).  Toward the end it took me longer before I felt up to it.  I was walking though, even if I wasn't swimming. The only thing I didn’t do, and still won’t do, is ski.  I’ve recovered quite a bit of my lost strength but don’t know if I’m all the way there yet, and I could injure myself.  But honestly, some  days that will be hard for you and some days it will be easy – I would just say your goal might be to go there and walk as long as you feel up to it, but at least 5 minutes.  If you’re really feeling lousy, that might be all you can do comfortably, but on most days, once you get started you will find yourself with more energy.

meglove, cysts can be benign.  Other than that I have no idea, but I'm sure one of the very knowledgeable women on this thread will chime in.

• Pbrain
    Pbrain Member Posts: 773

Amy, your MO is a ding dong.  Ask for your pre-chemo blood work at each visit.  Last week (I go weekly) they told me I had a high mean corpuscular volume to my white cells (MCV).  I'm a clinical pathologist, so I know what that means.  I played dumb and asked the nurse practitioner what other tests they could run to help sort that out.  She said she could order vitamin B12 and folate on me the next week I was in (she's good!)  Today at chemo I found out I'm very low on folate and iffy low on B12.

I guess my point is to ask about what information is coming back to you from your blood tests and then ask for their medical opinions on how you can fix it.

I also am anemic which I can understand from my herceptin bloody nose!!

• Pbrain
    Pbrain Member Posts: 773

Oh, and thanks for the info on the red cheeks.  I was beginning to wonder if I had lupus...

• Amy4978

Pbrain... They give me a print out everytime I go and from what I can understand my blood work looks good. Not to high in anything but still above the low mark. I really liked my MO till this last appt now she has me wondering......

No problem on the rosy cheeks!

With all this exersice talk I am on a mission to get back on the tradmill starting next Wednesday! (the kids will be back in school then) I am gonna kick this 20lbs right off my ass no matter what it takes!